Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be too soon to speculate, but I think that this move will keep Tentacruel from falling into obscurity, simply due to Clear Body and out-speeding all other rapid spinners if this on both sides of the field? Someone quickly make a thread on it lol.
I really doubt they would give Tentacruel this move.
It makes no sense flavor wise.

I really doubt they would give Tentacruel this move.
It makes no sense flavor wise.
I'm sorry I make my point a little more clear. Tentacruel with Clear Body, isn't affected by the Speed drop from Sticky Web, can spin it away(as it has a solid speed tier) and can outspeed and handle most of the spin blockers as well. Not to mention Tentacruel's past utility. I'm only bringing this up as it could help Tentacruel's loss of permanent rain. Though this niche might be too small? Sorry for the confusion. :D

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So how impacting do you think galvantula will be now that it has sticky web? And is arguably the best user of it.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty then, set making time! For real, this time!

name: Offensive
move 1: Thunder
move 2: Bug Buzz / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Energy Ball / Volt Switch
move 4: Sticky Web
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
nature: Timid
ability: Compoundeyes
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Basically your quintessential special attacking electric-type set, but Galvantula differentiates itself thanks to a very accurate Thunder, Bug-type STAB, and just being the fastest user of Sticky Web. Galvantula clearly doesn't have many setup opportunities, so it would be wise to tell the difference between a good opportunity to attack or to set up Sticky Web, the latter which should be done as early as possible. Focus Sash gives it a chance to do just this, though Life Orb really goes a long way when you consider Galvantula's...just decent Special Attack. Use as a lead / attacker.

Sticky Web and Thunder also allow Galvantula to deal with Starmie and Tentacruel VERY comfortably, so it'll be hard to Spin.

Just a thought that could use some testing if anyone is willing, but instead of leveling 1st and 3rd stage bugs for the moves, level up 2nd stage bugs like metapod, Kakuna, silcoon, cascoon, spewpa, etc. the reason I have for this is that the second stages being cacoons use silk more than the other stages to hang from trees and moveset-wise all three stages learn different moves naturally. Seeing as nothing was shown in the 1st and last stages, it wouldn't hurt checking our forgotten middle stage friends.

Edit: also I am unsure about this but would butterfree or beedrill even learn harden from the move relearner? If not it would support my theory that they could be middle stage only moves

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If it's true that Flying types and Levitators are immune to this, then that makes sweepers like Thundurus-T and Salamence a LOT more terrifying. If both sides of the field have Sticky Web up, then they aren't negating each other. They're giving a free speed boost to those monsters. Dragonite is no longer slow, and Latios becomes nearly impossible to revenge without priority. Mega Gengar can even avoid this the first time it switches in thanks to having Levitate before mega-evolving.

I'd like to see tests on how Air Balloon interacts with this move, because it could become a LOT more staple on sweepers that can't afford the speed drop. Good thing Megamons won't be able to use it, since some of them have terrifyingly high speed.

Oh hell yeah.

I guess it's from the Friend Safari? Serebii doesn't seem to know anyplace to find it, but that's one place where things keep showing up.

If only more pokemon had the ability Contrary.

Shuckle gets it, but ........... it's more of the hazard-setter

Serperior gets it, but I don't expect it to hold up in OU. With a life Orb, Nasty plot - Leafstorm, reversing sticky web, and [almost] adequate coverage (Dragon Pulse / HP fire / whatever else), it may, but probably won't be successful. Grass is a crappy type to rely on, and it wouldn't be able to switch in until the setter (likely galvantula) is out.

Specs Serperior would be nice if there wasn't so much that resisted grass, such as Heatran, Scizor, or Volcarona.

The only other pokemon that comes to mind is Metagross. It's not hurt bad by stealth rock, and has clear body to cancel sticky web.

Has anyone checked if magic bounce works on it? I assume it's basically certain that it will, but you never know.

No one said Malamar needs to switch into Galvantula. The only thing pointed out was that it has contrary.

I don't know Malamar's speed stat, but I don't remember it being high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)