Stored Power + Shell Smash: Yet another gimmick, or a unholy combo?

I just don't see the need to waste a moveslot on Lucky Chant.

SP / CP / HP Fighting / Ice Beam?

(Or the "four Powers" set: SP, CP, HP Fighting, Ancient Power)

I don't even think that Sigilyph can learn Lucky Chant, but it's too gimmicky to even work since it only lasts for five turns, I believe, and it isn't worth wasting a moveslot on anything for the move anyways.

Espeon still seems like the best option because of Magic Bounce, if you're immune to being phazed you can make it pass Skarmory, Sturdy Roar Donphan and Heatran who will definitely survive the Stored Power. Adding Dual Screens can help with both the passing and the Espeon's ability to take hits, so you can take on ESpeeds and Bullet Punches pretty well.

The Unaware users aren't bad choices either, especially Clefable when your opponent's team is a bit defensive and lacking in high-powered Outrages/Close Combats/weather-boosted special moves.

I know it's dream world ability hasn't been released yet but did anyone else notice that Swoobat gets Simple?

Basically a Shell Smash Pass to Simple Swoobat means +4 Attack, Special Attack and Speed.

Store Power = (20 + (20*12) = 260

Then add on the +4 special attack on top of that 260 * 3 = 780.

Base 114 Speed at +4 Speed means it outspeeds everything, it still has to worry about priority but if it's behind a substitute then you should be fine lol.

Ah well all theory, Probably work better in the lower tiers.

I know it's dream world ability hasn't been released yet but did anyone else notice that Swoobat gets Simple?

Basically a Shell Smash Pass to Simple Swoobat means +4 Attack, Special Attack and Speed.

Store Power = (20 + (20*12) = 260

Then add on the +4 special attack on top of that 260 * 3 = 780.

Base 114 Speed at +4 Speed means it outspeeds everything, it still has to worry about priority but if it's behind a substitute then you should be fine lol.

Ah well all theory, Probably work better in the lower tiers.
The problem with this is that Simple doesn't work quite like that in Gen V. In Gen V, according to the on-site description "this ability doubles all stat changes applied to the wielder. As such, any boosts gained by Baton Pass are not doubled. Stats are still capped at 6 boosts, which becomes effectively 3 with Simple. No out of battle effect." So, if you Baton Passed it a Shell Smash, it would only be a 140 power Stored Power coming off 520 Special Attack, which unfortunately is far less impressive.

More specifically:
In Gen IV, Simple causes the multipliers for each stage to be boosted; that is, a +1 will always be x2 instead of x1.5, a +2 will always be x3 instead of x2, etc. This means that using, say, Amnesia, will still boost Sp.Def by two stages, but the multiplier associated with two stages is now x3 instead of x2.

In Gen V, Simple instead causes the actual boosts to be doubled. A +1 is still x1.5, a +2 is still x2, etc. This means that using Amnesia will now boost Sp.Def by four stages, using the standard four stage multiplier of x3.

This change means that Baton Pass boosts are no longer effectively doubled when passing to a Simple user in Gen V.

A Simple Swoobat after two Calm Minds is practically unstoppable OHKOing pretty much everything with with Stored Power. This comes from experiance.

@Trainer: Wow, Swoobat is pathetic, how the hell did it OHKO everything? Even after two CMs, its' Sp. Attack is kinda lacking. Oh wait, never mind. Simple Swoobat. >_> My bad. D: I say good on them for being able to do that without getting ripped to shreds, since Swoobat is laughable in everything barring Speed.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Has anybody actually tested this or are those who are saying it won't work basing it off theorymon? Back in the day when Deoxys-s and Garchomp were unbanned, I got to number one with a team utilising dual screens, SmashPass and an Espeon with Stored Power as another BP to block phasers. Honestly it would win matches on its own sometimes, powering through the likes of Jirachi and Ferrothorn of all things (the former if I CMed one more time usually). It requires a lot of support and is probably harnessed best in a full BP team but it's definitely not a complete gimmick!

I find it amusing that the one Poke who can both Smash AND use Stored Power isn't even mentioned here. He can even use Baton Pass as well, and leave a moveslot free for Taunt or Spore to allow himself to set up.
'Course, with said poke being Smeargle...alright, nevermind.

I think Stored Power is better just by Calm Minding. Smashing to most of these Pokemon is really hard and using stored power on Victini is still less than V-Create after +2.

Embarrassingly, I made the mistake to let a Sigilyph to get to +6 with CP, and I thought it was just walling, 'cos I had no idea how Stored Power worked.

Worst.Battle.Ever.

Nevertheless, CP is the way to go for Stored power to get ultra bulky and ultra powerful. Sigilyph defines this.
Even if it was just walling you'd lose anyway. How were you planning to break through it?

Embarrassingly, I made the mistake to let a Sigilyph to get to +6 with CP, and I thought it was just walling, 'cos I had no idea how Stored Power worked.

Worst.Battle.Ever.

Nevertheless, CP is the way to go for Stored power to get ultra bulky and ultra powerful. Sigilyph defines this.
Story of my life.

I think KG made a team that used CM or CP Stored Power Sigilyph once, but it functioned as a standalone setup sweeper. SmashPassing is risky and difficult enough in and of itself without going to your one guy with stored power.

Gonna vote gimmick, but I should warn you that I know a guy that is very keen on this sort of stuff.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This seems like a usable strategy(albeit it uses smashpass), and is a creative way to fully utilize all the boosts given by smashpass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)