The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Dumervil is very overrated. He's actually a better fit at OLB in a 3-4 because he gets manhandled too much when he's a DE.
Luckily for us, we play in a 3-4!!

And @ Valkyries, that's because Von Miller is a much better player then he is, so it's kind of a natural outcome. People seem to forget that in his last healthy season without Von on the other side, Dumervil lead the league in sacks with very little help.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love that picture Mercy, ahahahahaha

Man, big name players have been getting shuffled around like CRAZY this offseason. I guess a ton of teams had cap issues and had to take drastic measures to stay compliant. I suppose this is what the NFL had in mind when they first introduced the salary cap and Free Agency.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think the salary cap is more to prevent accumulation of all-star talent on large market teams a la the Yankees. So it shouldn't really be creating more shuffling, but rather spreading that shuffling around more teams.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So they just passed a rule change that fundamentally alters the way a Running Back can move but all everyone can do is be butthurt about the Tuck Rule play. Seriously just watched 3 straight minutes of Tom Brady getting hit and the ref waving incomplete on SportsCenter. God damn I love this team

I think the salary cap is more to prevent accumulation of all-star talent on large market teams a la the Yankees. So it shouldn't really be creating more shuffling, but rather spreading that shuffling around more teams.
The salary cap is an easy way to limit players salaries so the owner can pocket more money. Do you think Peyton Manning is only bringing in $18 million in revenue for the Broncos? Maybe just in jersey sales...

And yes the "deep pockets = better team" argument is pretty solid too if the NFL actually paid players what they're worth with no cap.

Man there will be now "Back in the old days, there was this rule call the Tuck Rule and allow QBs do fumbles but it was call in an incomplete pass. It was also a stupid rule." The rule should have died long ago which I don't understand why it took 12 years to get rid of it. It should have been reviewed back in 2002 when the premier Tuck Rule highlight happened.

Also Brian Urlacher is not a Bear anymore.

I do not understand how the bears could throw away Urlacher after what they just watched unfold with Ray Lewis. Just commit to 3-4 years and hope for the best, the upside far outweighs the risk of having to bench him or cut him later.

The RB rule is cool stuff. Should prevent runners using their helmet as a weapon. Don't see why everyone is all "Might as well play flag football"

So they just passed a rule change that fundamentally alters the way a Running Back can move but all everyone can do is be butthurt about the Tuck Rule play. Seriously just watched 3 straight minutes of Tom Brady getting hit and the ref waving incomplete on SportsCenter. God damn I love this team
There has been a lot of misconception around the "helmet rule" because the media isn't doing a very good job describing it. The rule is only applied in the open field, and only for blatant and extreme use of the helmet as a weapon. Basically, if the ball carrier has multiple options in the open field and can choose not to use his helmet as a weapon, it's a penalty if he chooses to do so anyway.

It'll be a big change for current running backs, but it's a rule set in place for the next generation of players for the safety of everyone at all levels. Of course, I'd rather they just use better helmets... maybe someday.

The Tuck Rule was something that should have been changed immediately after that season. It's a ridiculous rule they've chosen to ignore for years. I don't care which way it "should" have been called then, now it's just a silly exception rule that doesn't fit in with the rest of the rulebook or make much sense.

So even Reed looks like he's fleeing to the Texans...kinda funny how just about everyone is leaving when Flacco got that huge contract...

I think the Ravens are planning to reload next year since it seems like they are dumping as much salary as possible due to Flacco's contract.

the thing is flacco's contract this year doesn't even impact their FA game that much, only like 6 mill cap hit that grows towards the back end
Flacco's contract is a non-issue. Kruger was too expensive to replace, Reed is way past his prime, and Ellerbe got offered too much money to move elsewhere. While the team will decline without them (sorry, Ravens fans, but it'll take a draft miracle to prevent this from happening), it was smart of their FO to let these guys go at the price tags they went for.

I'm still not a fan of the Boldin trade unless they actually spend the cap money they made (which as far as I know has yet to happen), but we'll see how it affects Flacco's play next year.

49ers get the 33rd overall pick in this years draft for Smith... steal in my opinion for the 49ers if they don't fuck up w/ the draft like they did last year they will be even stronger -_-
*34th pick.

The Bills might have to move up to get Geno since Arizona might be picking him and we all know how bad the Cardinals need a QB.
while anything is possible, i'm fairly confident the Jags would be up for a trade. we're gutting and re-building through the draft, and the more picks the better.

i guffaw'd

Any notion that it's a scheming issue might have been true under our old offensive coordinator (there was a very, very good reason Mularkey got fired after one year with the Jags), but it's simply not the case with Dirk Koetter. Midgame adjustments have been an issue for both, though.
i just want to point out the irony of this.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Although it goes against the way contracts are usually structured, if the Ravens are losing so much shit this year anyway why don't they just frontload Flacco's contract and take the big cap hit now? ;[ I suppose the idea is, as always, "well we can trade him or cut him or restructure 900 different ways to diminish the potential of that big cap hit later" but ultimately it's still going to happen.

Raiders fans today: "We will never forget"
More like non-Patriots fans

It's Raiders fans since it was the second to last year when they were actually good before the decade of sucking which is still going on.

I don't think the Ravens want to take a frontend cap hit since that would tell fans they are being like the Marlins where they dismantled their team after winning the World Series twice. At least this way, they could be like "We still going to try to win again. " but really they probably aren't going to make the playoffs this season.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not so sure about that. The Ravens are fortunate in that the Steelers have lost a lot of players as well, so the competition for the division crown will not be as fierce as usual. I doubt the Bengals can take it so the Ravens still have a legit chance to make the playoffs as a division winner, or at least a wild card. Baltimore is the kind of organization that always seems to make things work and stay competitive, even when the outside world is going "wtf?". Mucho respecto to Ozzie for having the guts to do all this in the face of outcries from the fan base.

I'm not so sure about that. The Ravens are fortunate in that the Steelers have lost a lot of players as well, so the competition for the division crown will not be as fierce as usual. I doubt the Bengals can take it so the Ravens still have a legit chance to make the playoffs as a division winner, or at least a wild card. Baltimore is the kind of organization that always seems to make things work and stay competitive, even when the outside world is going "wtf?". Mucho respecto to Ozzie for having the guts to do all this in the face of outcries from the fan base.
The Ravens and Steelers will be in the mix but I think the Bengals have the best team on paper. I think the Browns can contend for the division/wildcard if they can somehow get some good QB play. They have a decent O-line, Richardson and I love their defense. They also played the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers hard in their games last season. The NFC North will interesting to watch this year.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The Ravens and Steelers will be in the mix but I think the Bengals have the best team on paper. I think the Browns can contend for the division/wildcard if they can somehow get some good QB play. They have a decent O-line, Richardson and I love their defense. They also played the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers hard in their games last season. The NFC North will interesting to watch this year.
The Bengals aren't ready to win anything this year and you can't be serious about the Browns. It's still the Ravens to lose - I agree with what WaterBomb said!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I would take the Browns a little more seriously if they had a serviceable QB. They have an underrated defense and one of the best left tackles in football, and a fairly decent O line overall. They're missing just a good #1 WR and QB, with those they'd absolutely be in that division race. Hiring a stronger coach would help too...

The Bengals aren't ready to win anything this year and you can't be serious about the Browns. It's still the Ravens to lose - I agree with what WaterBomb said!
Why arent they ready? They have made the playoffs the last two years. They have won the division twice under Lewis. They are a young, improving team. You definitely have to give the Ravens the benefit of the doubt given their history under Harbaugh. But saying that theyre a lock for anything is pretty ignorant given that plenty of Super Bowl winners in the past (who had very little roster turnover) missed the playoffs the following year.

Oh I'm kidding about the Browns. I mean everybody had Minnesota, Indianapolis, Washington and Seattle making the playoffs last year.

Stallion

Tree Young
The Browns don't have AP or a young superstar QB like all the teams you listed. As WaterBomb said, if they had a number one receiver and an actual NFL QB I'd take them more seriously. I don't think we're a lock, but as you said I'd like to give Harbs and Ozzie the benefit of the doubt. The Bengals haven't beaten a good team in two years (us resting all our starters in the final game of the season doesnt count), so until they start beating teams above .500 I'm not ready to crown them.

The Ravens will start the season away instead at home because the Orioles have a game on Thursday and didn't want to budge. I guess MLB is trying to stick it to the NFL.

Yeah the Browns need a #1 WR badly and they won't get it anytime soon. They missed their chance in free agency. With the new coach, he might be able to turn Weeden into an actual threat but with a below average WR corps, it will be tough.

The Ravens will start the season away instead at home because the Orioles have a game on Thursday and didn't want to budge. I guess MLB is trying to stick it to the NFL.

Yeah the Browns need a #1 WR badly and they won't get it anytime soon. They missed their chance in free agency. With the new coach, he might be able to turn Weeden into an actual threat but with a below average WR corps, it will be tough.
I dunno, I heard they were willing to start earlier but that the whole parking fiasco and rush hour with the Ravens' start time was another factor. But in all seriousness, rescheduling a baseball game (they only play what, 150+ of the fucking things over a season, waaay too many) is a lot easier than football...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)