The Everything NHL Thread

I'd say choking is more of something in the back of San Jose's mind than Vancouver's. I kinda expect Vancouver to play really well. Vancouver is the kind of team I really expect to raise their game to outclass the sharks. With a shaky Niemi, I really expect Vancouver to wear down their defense by playing so many good lines and score some goals.

That said, players like Scott Nichol are real prickjobs, so maybe that depth on the 4th line could bite Vancouver in the ass a few times.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Morm, if you watched the series you'd realised that Nemo played excellent for the most part - it was our neutral zone turnovers/lackluster defense that made him look worse then he actually was.

Correct me if wrong, but don't great goaltenders still perform in a show stopping way when defense is lackluster?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's pretty hard to be a great goalie when you have a bunch of red wizards taking open shots on you on breakaways.

With that said, I'm glad Detroit lost. As a Bruins fan I think that was the only team left that could beat the B's in a 7 game series. I don't want to speak too soon though.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not sure where this shaky niemi stuff is coming from...he had .931 save percentage in the wings' series...He was a sieve in the kings' series sure with his amazing .863 save percentage but he DEFINITELY stepped up to the plate against the wings.

The only reason the "completely unable to maintain basic positional defense" sharks were able to compete with the wings in the last two games was Niemi stopping 42 shots in game 6 and 38 shots in game 7.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think Niemi is a good goalie but I will be the first to admit that he, Joe Thornton, and Jiri Hudler were the three stars for San Jose in the series. Niemi was as good as he needed to be when the moments called for it and that's all you can ask of a goalie in the playoffs: key saves. You don't have to save them all as long as you keep your team in the game with a chance to win.

The shaky Niemi stuff comes from the juicy rebounds he still gives up every game. I don't know if it's his pads or what but it's hard for me to think of moments when he just absorbed a puck on an initial stop.. unless it was a glove save... or deflected it safely into a corner instead of back out into the slot. Again, he was great against Detroit, but his save numbers are a little inflated because the Wings just shot pucks on net at all opportunities just looking for these second chance opportunities off rebounds. It didn't cost San Jose too often because the Sharks forwards did an overall good job of making sure they back checked hard. I can think of quite a few times just in game 7 where Wings forwards had a good look but a hard back check by a Shark prevented the shot.

I'm disappointed by the outcome but not the effort. It was a great, hard fought series by two skilled hockey teams. Hell of a series.

I think Niemi is kind of getting a raw look from some of the people in this thread. He is maybe the best first save goalie in the league, and other than apparently having a weakness to weird backhand snipes from outer space, he is at least among the best in the league at making the initial stop. Rebound control, obviously, is the part of his game that's often shaky, but San Jose is a big, physical team that is typically very good at making it difficult for their opponent to actually get to those loose pucks Niemi allows, making him an awfully effective goalie for the team he's playing on. The San Jose defense is protecting some of his mistakes in the same way Chicago's defense did last year, but hockey is a team sport and Niemi is proving for the second year in a row that he plays a role that can work for a winning team. If San Jose manages to "want it" as much as Chicago did last year and fights for those loose picks, Niemi is plenty to win the cup again. Outside of some bizarre releases beating him, it's pretty rare for Niemi to allow goals that he really should have had when he's on top of his game, and I think that's more key than anything in the playoffs with how much of a momentum changer allowing bad goals typically is.

I still think the Boston/Tampa Bay winner wins the cup, but Niemi and the Sharks deserve more credit than people want to give them. Detroit was the better team in Game 3 and lost, San Jose was the better team in Game 5 and lost, and 3-3 going into Game 7 was exactly what the series should have been regardless of any "choking," with the home team being better in the first six games and Game 3 and 5 cancelling out. I think the Wings probably win Game 7 without that terrible Zetterberg turnover at the end of the first(and possibly without the bizarre Cleary and Bertuzzi injuries forcing terrible ass Hudler to get way too much ice time), but that's how Game 7s tend to work -- the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. Marleau and Heatley are kind of MIA but awfully great play from Sidney Sedin Joe Thornton, Ryan Clowe, Joe Pavelski, Devin Setoguichi, and especially Logan Couture, who could have about twice as many goals as he does with better bounces.

End up with two good series(which I think we might not have gotten from Detroit with now 5 of the top 6 injured, as much as Datsyuk wasn't playing like it) here. Not gonna wall of text this time but expecting Bruins over Lightning in 7 and Sharks over Canucks in 6. Former case I think the Bruins have a much better roster for playing the grinding game than either of the Southeastern playoff teams did and Tim Thomas is just as ridiculous as Rolly in the playoffs. I like the Sharks' depth at forward at lot more than the Canucks' and I think they have more people who can put the puck in the net reliably, though the defensive nod definitely goes to Vancouver in spite of Dan Boyle being the best defenseman in the series. Both series could easily go either way(and that's how it should be), it'll be fun.

CONFERENCE FINALS MATCHUPS:

Western Conference

#1 Cansucks vs. #2 Storks

Prediction: Cansucks suck it so hard and lose. Lolongo let's in 7 goals a game. Sedins no-show again, while Thornton drops a hat trick every night and also gets 37 assists in the series. Marleau proves he has heart/guts by ripping out Kesler's in a fatality after facing him in Mortal Kombat. Niemi lights out for the whole series. Despite all this, Storks find a way to choke enough to make the series go seven games.
Sharks in 7

Eastern Conference

#3 Ruins vs. #5 Dolts

Prediction: Tim Thomas - too big, too fast, too strong, TOO GOOD. Roloson gettin too old for this shit. Bruins shut down the Bolts' power play, leaving Stamkos with no goals throughout the series. Chara makes menacing gestures while pointing towards the Stanchion in every pre-game warmup, leaving the Bolts too terrified to actually play. Also, Colin Campbell suspends every Bolts player for at least a couple games.
Bruins in 6

ALTERNATE PREDICTION

#1 Cansucks vs. #2 Storks

Prediction:

OIL in 3

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Both Canucks and Tampa in 6

And stilll leading to :

9/12 on 'predictions' so far

Confirmed :
-The elimination of all frenchless teams (every team left owns at least two).
-3/4 remaining coaches from Québec.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm quite happy it's not Anaheim vs Vancouver or my "Go Ducks" VGC stuff would be so very confusing to people right now.

Go Steve Yzerman, i guess...

The best team in the WC is gone, and i don't believe either surviving team in the west deserves to win the cup. If Van hadn't choked so hard against the Hawks, i'd definitely be rooting for them. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Did anyone see this yet? I'd feel great if i was a Wild fan...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hdpid=49&id=114221

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS LOVE AFFAIR BETWEEN THE NHL AND RANGERS/FLYERS RIVALRY?! Now they're doing it for the winter classic....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)