The Expert Belt Dojo (Q&A) (CHALLENGES CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
MK rejoices, flushed with pride as <Charmander> SHABALABADINGDONG hands over an enormous amount of counters (dw approved). MK's counter hits 6, giving him two WC and reducing his counter to 0.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Yes, you could, if for some bizarre reason you decided you needed a Poison-type attack that badly. 2/3

Could I combine Surf and Scald to produce a wave of hot water that has a chance of burning multiple targets (including potentially one of my own)?

Also, if a pokemon is in the air because of Fly, could I combo Fly with another move to make said other move able to hit the other pokemon?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Surf and Scald would work well, although the dilution of the water would reduce the chance of burn, to a level that would be determined by the ref based on arena and water reserves.

Fly would depend on the move. Fissure, as something which wouldn't be helped by Fly, would not work, whereas Cross Chop or something up close might be boosted by it. 1 WC

shadowbone66

Banned deucer.
A question in planning for the future:

When I get Approved, my starter will be a Cubone. I hope to save up for a Thick Club. If I gave my Cubone/Marowak said Thick club to hold, would it be holding two weapons? Or would it replace its original bone with the TC? This has always confused me in-game, and now that it matters here, I would like to be ready when the situation arises.

Does sun affects scald? i mean, on sunny day water moves get their power reduced by 3, but shouldn't scald (boiling water) be more powerful (or at least retain the same power)

And can i make something like pikachu ride someting like sweelow and make a combo of the two pokes? or to block a SE attack?

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A question in planning for the future:

When I get Approved, my starter will be a Cubone. I hope to save up for a Thick Club. If I gave my Cubone/Marowak said Thick club to hold, would it be holding two weapons? Or would it replace its original bone with the TC? This has always confused me in-game, and now that it matters here, I would like to be ready when the situation arises.
both pokemon only have one club at a time, the thick club just replaces whatever bone they were holding

scald in sun etc
Since the water from Scald comes from an internal source in the Pokemon's body, I would say that Sun can't boost the attack power since it isn't in the sun very long to begin with!. I would apply the same reasoning to why rain still boosts its power :S

Does sun affects scald? i mean, on sunny day water moves get their power reduced by 3, but shouldn't scald (boiling water) be more powerful (or at least retain the same power)

And can i make something like pikachu ride someting like sweelow and make a combo of the two pokes? or to block a SE attack?
I would feel inclined to think that the intense sun would evaporate some of the boiling water as it is ejected or before it is ejected, thus lowering the power of the move as per usual, however the intense heat generated by the sunlight ought realistically to raise the move's burn chance.

Thoughts, approvers?

Also I was wondering about the following 2 combos:
- Gust + Supersonic : Using Gust to direct the sound waves from Supersonic, causing it to be more accurate (and possibly damaging)
- Gust + Sonicboom : Using Gust to amplify the sonic power of Sonicboom, raising its set damage a little
EDIT: One more
- evasive digging + Earth Power : A Ground-type's superior sense of the underground (and in the specific case of Vibrava, its ability to sense vibrations) ought to allow it to aim Earth Power while underground, no?

Also also, I think I'd like to participate in one of these 2-turn Brawls. Espio the Kecleon seeks a worthy opponent!

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If TTB's are still being accepted I'll take your (Banryu's) challenge (my other one got sent to the negaverse apparently.) Malboro the Tangela is just itching for a fight.
I may only be a lowly approver, but I can still crush your dreams tell you that only pokemon not battling may rp. I am 95% certain of this.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right, I'm up for a two turn brawl. Dynamite the Magnemite has come along for the ride.

Also, I have already bought price one after losing to Destiny_Warrior a week or so ago... It's not in the OP...

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I posted this a bit ago, but looks like people didn't see it.

FROM THIS POINT ON, CHALLENGES ARE TEMPORARILY CLOSED.

We will be getting to all of the battles from before this post, and then re-opening two turn brawls. Feel free to post questions and combos, however!

Oh. Dx Whoops. Well, all of my Pokemon are apparently ineligible anyway, as I'm fairly certain everyone is in a battle for the time being. =ww=' whoopsie. In any case, just gonna bump this:

- Gust + Supersonic : Using Gust to direct the sound waves from Supersonic, causing it to be more accurate (and possibly damaging)
- Gust + Sonicboom : Using Gust to amplify the sonic power of Sonicboom, raising its set damage a little
- evasive digging + Earth Power : A Ground-type's superior sense of the underground (and in the specific case of Vibrava, its ability to sense
vibrations) ought to allow it to aim Earth Power while underground, no?
- Taunt + Swagger : effects of Taunt and Swagger are simultaneous and/or attack boost of Swagger is amplified
Bump sigh. I don't see why this has to become completely inactive just because the challenges are no longer happening. :\

shadowbone66

Banned deucer.
Would a combo of Bonemerang + Smack Down work? To ground a foe from a distance? It may seem dumb, but I think there's a good chance of it working...

Seeing as the battle thread is also inactive, I don't think that matters much... -_-'

A combo question in general:
Would moves with different secondary effects be able to inflict both?
(I.E. Bounce+Poison Jab= Paralysis (30%) + Poison (30%))

Can I use Protect on my ally?

Can my pokemon ride each other (Toxicorak riding a Bastiodon) to provide protection to the rider, and make epicness? Or, could I make a slower pokemon ride a faster one to give it speed for melee attacks?

Can I combo Focus Blast with Vacuum Wave to make Focus Blast priority/accurate?
-How effective is bodyblocking overall? For example, will a Milotic/Bastiodon be able to completely wall attacks against a smaller pokemon?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would feel inclined to think that the intense sun would evaporate some of the boiling water as it is ejected or before it is ejected, thus lowering the power of the move as per usual, however the intense heat generated by the sunlight ought realistically to raise the move's burn chance.

Thoughts, approvers? Nope. Scald would work just the same. Intense sunlight would have no appreciable effect on its burn chance.

- Gust + Supersonic : Using Gust to direct the sound waves from Supersonic, causing it to be more accurate (and possibly damaging) If anything, the wind would scatter the sonic waves, making it LESS accurate. No to this one.
- Gust + Sonicboom : Using Gust to amplify the sonic power of Sonicboom, raising its set damage a little See above.
EDIT: One more
- evasive digging + Earth Power : A Ground-type's superior sense of the underground (and in the specific case of Vibrava, its ability to sense vibrations) ought to allow it to aim Earth Power while underground, no? Yeah, this looks fine. There would definitely be some non-insignificant cost to doing so, as attacking while invincible is no laughing matter balance-wise. Something like Vibrava getting caught in the blast itself, or a huge increased energy cost due to aiming difficulties.
Would a combo of Bonemerang + Smack Down work? To ground a foe from a distance? It may seem dumb, but I think there's a good chance of it working...
I'm questionable about this one, mainly because a: Bonemerang is a Ground attack, and B: Smack Down implies downward force, while Bonemerang implies outward force. I'd give this a no.

Would a pokemon having Rock Head do more damage with Headbutt-like attacks?
Probably not, as all Rock Head does is remove recoil. Basically, all it does is prevent the Pokemon from injuring itself. For the most part, the surface is just as rigid and hard (skull vs. skull + hard exterior).

A combo question in general:
Would moves with different secondary effects be able to inflict both?
(I.E. Bounce+Poison Jab= Paralysis (30%) + Poison (30%))
Only if the moves themselves can be comboed. For example: Fire Fang + Crunch would be a Fire-type attack with Crunch's 8 BP, as well as Fire Fang's Burn/Flinch AND Crunch's def drop. Bounce + Poison Jab isn't a valid combo though, because Bounce is a full-body slamming attack from high-up, not a jabbing attack.

Can I use Protect on my ally? Nope, Protect is yourself only.

Can my pokemon ride each other (Toxicorak riding a Bastiodon) to provide protection to the rider, and make epicness? Or, could I make a slower pokemon ride a faster one to give it speed for melee attacks? This is an interesting mechanic, and one that I'd say would need a little ref discretion. I'd take into account the differences in weight, and I'd say that the ride-ee would suffer a speed/accuracy loss, but maybe there would be a certain level of protection. Speed is more "reflex" in terms of move execution, so I'd say there wouldn't be additional speed granted.

Can I combo Focus Blast with Vacuum Wave to make Focus Blast priority/accurate? Nope. The descriptions are too different, and Vacuum Wave's priority wouldn't cancel out the actual time it takes to channel a Focus Blast, especially on a slow mon who needs priority.
-How effective is bodyblocking overall? For example, will a Milotic/Bastiodon be able to completely wall attacks against a smaller pokemon? Again, this is a largely unexplored mechanic that takes a bit of discretion. I'd allow the use of a "Guard" command that would allow a larger Pokemon to take damage in the stead of a smaller Pokemon, but it would take up an entire action and would not have any damage reduction. Also, it would fail against moves that target the field, as they hit both Pokemon.
My counter is at 7, which gives me 2 BTs. My counter is now down to 1.

Ask away, guys!

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Paying 1 Dojo Counter to obtain a single TC. and now waiting for Rediamond to get over here and get his to deal with his loan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)