The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
oh oh oh ramen noodles and eggs jesus i just learned about it :D :D :D tasty shit

edit: i realize you may have been talking about them as separate things instead of combined....my bad
they go good combined too. you can boil eggs when you boil the water for the noodles. endless combinations of food for cutting/bulking can happen with you use a little bit of cuisine imagination.

I would like to finish off my weight loss.

A couple years ago I weighed 247 pounds at 6'1. All fat, no muscle (I blame late night Pokemon and late night snacks). Since then, I have grown four inches in height and dropped to 179, which I am somewhat happy about. I think the two main factors have been the purge of junk food and great frequency of cardio exercise. I transitioned from cycling to jogging this year. Coolio.

Unfortunately, it appears that I had more than 70 pounds of extra fat on me. There's still a little bit where it counts, and it laughs at me when I sit down. I've been running like a madman all summer, and while I've made progress, I'm surprised that I'm not finished. I run about twelve outdoor, hilly km six days per week, at an absolutely constant pace. It takes me about an hour and a quarter. I know that's not exactly fast, but it gets my heart rate going for a good long while. I used to think that was excessive.

My diet is pretty good. Exclusively water to drink, and lots of it. I make a pot of Red River (flax, whole grain hot cereal) every morning, and eat it with some banana or whatever fruit looks good. Three egg whites and one egg yolk most days, with a couple spoons of salsa. Lunch usually involves a sandwich with lots of vegetables, or some kind of bean soup. I love bean soup. Supper is whatever I make with my family, which is usually reasonably healthy. We don't eat out, period. That said, we do barbecue hamburgers ourselves, and sometimes have frozen pizza for an easy meal. Chips maybe once a month, blah blah blah.

So I feel like I was doing so well... and I'm disappointed that I'm not done. Summer has gone and ended on me, and I feel that I'm gonna go through another indoor Winter unfinished.

tl;dr I'm wondering what you guys do for fat loss.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you're 6 foot 5 and weigh 179 lbs then I don't think you need to worry about losing any more weight as that puts you firmly on the lower end of the 'healthy' zone of the BMI spectrum. Losing another 11lbs would knock you into the 'underweight' area.

anyway, have you looked at Ninahaza's fat loss thread? There's some good stuff in there (can't link as I'm on iPod but it shouldn't be too hard to find).

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Luminary, have you tried HIIT? A lot of people I know swear by it for fat loss, and while what you're doing is moderately effective for fat loss (and your diet looks fine too), I personally don't find "long distance, moderate intensity" as beneficial as "high intensity, less distance (and time)". Google some HIIT workouts from bodybuilding.com and give it a try!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Luminary you're 3 inches taller than me and 25 lbs lighter, and I am far from fat. I think you're ok :). If you have some "pooch" in aesthetically unappealing places, try just focusing on muscle growth in those areas instead of fat loss. If you're building the muscle in the area where the leftover fat is, the fat should lessen without you losing weight. I wouldn't recommend going for any more weight loss as your stats are incredibly thin.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Looks interesting...nice attempt to find a balance in the age old struggle between strength and hypertrophy. What do you make of it Styval?

Upstart

Copy Cat
I've been lifting for quite sometime now and would just like to gauge smogon's opinion on the dumbbell vs. barbell debate. I realize a lot of it comes down to personal opinion and goal of the lift.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
it absolutely comes down to the goal of the lift, I guess until you specify which lift I can't give my opinion

Hi, i'm 14 years old, medium height but i don't have access to dumbbells etc.i'm in good shape i just want more muscles. So i was wondering what would be the best work out routine for me.

Looks interesting...nice attempt to find a balance in the age old struggle between strength and hypertrophy. What do you make of it Styval?
It's something I praise because of the results I've seen people get from it, and something I'd love to try. I'm starting the Texas Method here in a week or so during my cut and next semester I've been thinking about doing this or BBB when i bulk again(i like BBB anyway, i did it for a month just because it looked fun. accidental widowmakers are hilarious when you're just trying to beat like 15 reps and then you hit like 20).

it absolutely comes down to the goal of the lift, I guess until you specify which lift I can't give my opinion
QFT doe

ps i like dumbbell bench > barbell bench

Lee

@ Thick Club
Hi, i'm 14 years old, medium height but i don't have access to dumbbells etc.i'm in good shape i just want more muscles. So i was wondering what would be the best work out routine for me.
honestly qwaz I'd just focus on establishing a solid cardio base until such a time when you're able to attend a gym or acquire some proper equipment. it can't hurt to do some push ups/chin ups/sit ups in the meanwhile either.

bit of a naff answer but there's only so much you can do without the equipment or facilities. If you're looking for something a little more positive then if you're really disciplined you can make progress with just calisthenics but it's a long and slow road. I've dug up some pics of my arm when I was 17 so not much older than you (I shit you not, check the datestamp in the URL, these pictures are from 2006) and this was from doing 500+ push ups and 100 chin ups nearly every day since I was 14

but although it's hard to see without size comparisons I'm relatively puny here, I think I was only about 130lbs. so while you can certainly make yourself more presentable ('toned') through calisthenics, don't expect to 'bulk up' or anything without equipment

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I shit you not this is exactly what I've noticed. It's tough, I'm doing less weight then I was a few months ago cause I want hypertrophy but I've gained bulk/muscle. Would be nice to look amazing and gain strength too though haha

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Well a few things I've done recently:

Tomorrow will be my fifth day training in the gym, which means Ive been to the gym 5 times this week, almost professional training. Reality is, I'm just trying to get as much in before I get my new job and start school. Bending arms and choking people is my cocaine now, which I have to keep in moderation.

To the recommendation of my coach, I've been trying fat burners. I really dislike taking supplements, protein barely slides for me, but other than that, I hate taking supplements. I got convinced and got a few samples of "Lipo 6 Black", and this shit really packs some serious energy. Suppressing my appetite hasn't actually happened though, because I don't really lack energy, but the appetite suppressing was actually something I was looking forward too. Today I tried some other fat burner, which I forgot the name, and to my surprise it did suppress my appetite, but I didn't feel that energy rush as I did from Lipo 6. I guess these shit is all different.

My knee is getting better, but not as I wish it is. I still feel so limited, but slowly I'm able to bend it without pain. It really bothers me because it really stops me from being able to do certain things. I guess I just have to live with it for the next few months.

And if anybody gives a shit, I almost 2 weeks sober from smoking, and almost 3 days caffeine free. It's been a shitty ass month, but I'm a believer of hard work. I think I'll make an exception for these 2 things tomorrow though.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
man top work venom! how far i along is it since your injury and do you reckon youll ever be able to do heavy squats now? either way you and lee are inspirations imo, having tough injuries yet still training hard the best you can!

Lee

@ Thick Club
holy fucking goddamn shit lee your arms look fucking insane in those pics lol
should probably also point out that i was also boxing at the time and doing a shitload of running so that obviously played a huge part and I had a pretty severe bout of exercise bulimia around that time too so it wasn't as simple as '500 push ups, 100 chin ups' like I may have implied. But I think the biggest factor was really good lighting and taking like a dozen pictures and picking out the best one. heh photos

good luck venom and stick at it, I know it can't be easy but you'll look back on these days with pride someday

Alright guys, with all my wok and stuff, plus I decided to join cross country, I have no time to work out over the weekday anymore. After school I got cross country, then I gotta do work. I have no time for the gym. (mornings are no option either.)

What are some good programs that will make me look more buff/ get bigger muscles that only require me to go over the weekend?

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Cross country is good for endurance and your calf muscles. I have fairly large calf muscles, but I always run in the morning, a few hours before I go to swimming. Swimming gives you a more toned body, but not really immensely buff, as you want. I guess it also depends on your age. I'm 16.

Just my two cents. I don't really body build, but if I can give some sort of advice, I guess it'd be doing some dips for your triceps(I do dips all the time for dryland.)

This is also just a random update post really. Here's what swimming has done for me.

Biceps(i'll post more in the future)

Lee

@ Thick Club
Alright guys, with all my wok and stuff, plus I decided to join cross country, I have no time to work out over the weekday anymore. After school I got cross country, then I gotta do work. I have no time for the gym. (mornings are no option either.)

What are some good programs that will make me look more buff/ get bigger muscles that only require me to go over the weekend?
There aren't any and you're going to find it incredibly hard to gain weight if you're doing distance running. Like I said to qwaz just focus on building up a solid cardio base until such a time when you can work out regularly.

Stallion

Tree Young
http://oi46.tinypic.com/25gyvjd.jpg

inb4 strong facial expression
inb4 strong legs

picture taken in my elevator/lift
Your chest is looking even better here man, nice! Strong photo. Curious why you were half naked in a lift though? Lol.

Anyway:

Trying a new workout program. I was doing a split routine for the past few months, but now I'm going to try a full body routine (2 to 4 sets per body part, 4 for the bigger ones and 2 for the smaller ones) each day, three days a week. Apparently an article on hypertrophy said that you are less likely to overtrain by splitting it up in this regard, and that you're more likely to be in an anabolic state then you would be with a regular split routine. There was a bunch of research supposedly backing it up as well when I read it, but there's no substitute for doing it myself and putting it to the test.

Today was day 1, my individual body parts don't feel like they've worked as hard but I feel weary in general, and I know I worked pretty hard on the whole. Less volume per body part allowed me to lift heavier then I otherwise would have! The particular program I'm using is recommending 10 reps per set though as a general rule of thumb, which I reckon may be slightly too high. I'll stick to it though and see if I get any results.

The last time I experimented with something new, it served me very well! I've already gotten comments from family I hadn't seen in awhile about how much I've bulked up, and a girl I met at a party on the weekend said I looked more like a rugby player then a basketball player (took it as a compliment not an insult, seeing as I'm 86/87 kilos and so would therefore look more like one of the backs who have great bodies then a 115 kg + prop forward), so I'm definitely excited to try this new routine :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)