The Next Best Thing v2 - Latios

Most of the viable sets this time around seem like single move or item changes to Alakazam. While several of the trick sets seemed useful in very specific team building situations I ultimately think the charge beam set has the broadest appeal in the current metagame. Alakazam maintains its great coverage, gains the ability to setup for a sweep against weakened pokemon, and becomes a huge threat to stall playstyles.

Thunderblunder

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Meru, without a single doubt :toast:

I liked thunderblunder's, but I'm not a fan of LO Zam in today metagame, filled with scarfer/priorities. While I love LOZam to no extent, I find it better in a metagame where stallish team are more played, (like in the end of BW1) (I will also note that someone I know was running LO Charge Beam Kazam in BW1 and it was just devastating, it's a really good set, as said by thunderblunder).

Also liked Kidogo's but, unless you lead with it/send it after a kill, the Flame Orb will be seen and the opponent will doubt something is wrong about it.

Lavos Spawn, honestly, meru's seems by far the most effective in reality but...it's not really a new set imo, it would be different if the set revolved around that coverage move but honestly it doesnt feel worthy of being called a new set.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
ThePillsburyDoughBoy

Taunt allows you to make sure certain key defensive threats can't set up or heal up in your face, once you've already thrown out an attack. Charge beam is awesome until you realize you just wasted a turn setting up because it literally earns you zero new OHKOs, meaning you still 2HKO and you could've just thrown out an attack instead. Heaven forbid if they take a risk and end up easily bringing in their scarfer on your weak non-STAB 50 BP attack. Not to mention it's inaccurate, unreliable, and doesn't even work on SpDef Hippowdon or Gastrodon, two huge counters.. Magnezone is literally the only Pokemon that can viably run Charge Beam because it can control who it sets up Charge Beam on.

And TrickScarf is just a collosal waste of Alakazam's potential. I'd rather put it on something frailer like Espeon, as Alakazam is usually meant to stick around to check a buttload of stuff.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ThunderBlunder

I prefer HP Ice though, as without it Lando-T, Hippowdon, and Gliscor stop you cold. Good sweeper, wallbreaker, and revenge killer, all in one!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is ThunderBlunder's Charge Beam Alakazam set. This set will be added in the v2 archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the Muscular Pokémon, Conkeldurr!

Voting will take place in 4 days!

The next subject is the Muscular Pokémon, Conkelduur!*

anyways,

i'd propose this:

Conkeldurr (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Fire Punch

all-out attacker conkelduur is a beast. give it a trick room support and it can sweep entire teams alone. hammer arm is a powerful stab which destroys everything doesn't resist it and ice punch, thunder punch and fire punch are useful coverage moves to damage hard the whole metagame. life orb plus sheer force is a cool thing since the recoil is something really annoying, especially if there's the sandstorm around. it's really slow i know, but as i already said, this set should be used only in a trick room team where all-out attacker conkelduur can give its best.

now i'll post some calcs to help you to understand better how powerful it's. here there are:

ThunderPunch vs 252HP/252Def Slowbro (+Def): 55% - 64%.

Fire Punch vs 252HP/252Def Skarmory (+Def): 54% - 64%

Ice Punch vs 252HP/0Def Latias (Neutral): 96% - 113%

Ice Punch vs 4HP/0Def Multiscale Dragonite (Neutral): 102% - 120%

Hammer Arm vs 112HP/0Def Rotom (Neutral): 85% - 101%

Fire Punch in Sun vs 252HP/252Def Jirachi (+Def): 85% - 100%

Ice Punch vs 252HP/244Def Hippowdon (+Def): 49% - 58%

credit to phetto for both this conkelduur and these damages. thank you

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mach Punch > Fire Punch any day. Makes Conk much more useful outside of TR and difficult to avoid the 2HKO from. Fire Punch is mostly useless anyway, as the other moves cover everything that Conk would want to. Iron Fist + Drain Punch is pretty cool too, as you only suffer a 10% power loss on your main Fighting move (Iron Fist Drain Punch has 90 BP vs 100 BP of Hammer Arm, and if you factor in accuracy the damage is the same) and coverage punches, while gaining the ability to heal with Drain Punch, perfect accuracy on your main STAB, and a stronger Mach Punch.

you're right alexwolf, mach punch is really useful when trick room isn't up and especially if conk has iron fist. i should really try iron fist conk with mach and drain punch and see what happen the next time i use conk in a trick room team. thanks!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch / Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch​

Sporting an gargantuan base Attack stat of 140, why not boost it to sky high levels by slapping a Choice Band on it? Choice Band Conkeldurr is an absolute monster once it gets on the field, sporting an Attack stat of 624, which would raise it to a sky high level of 936 after a Guts boost, it's only natural that this set would be a destructive one. Drain Punch helps keep him in good health. Mach Punch is an excellent choice for revenge killing faster opponents, while Superpower is an excellent choice for smashing through walls. Hammer Arm is an excellent choice as well, doing upwards of almost 90% to standard Skarm. Stone Edge knoxks out those Flying types, as well as Volcarona, and finally, Ice Punch knocks out the always pesky Gliscor and both Landorus Formes.​

Here are some calcs to see how devastating Banded Conkeldurr is.

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 246-291 (58.57 - 69.28%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 312-368 (85.71 - 101.09%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 336-396 (72.57 - 85.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Superpower vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Jirachi: 249-294 (61.63 - 72.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Superpower vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 322-379 (107.69 - 126.75%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 592-700 (182.71 - 216.04%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Conkeldurr is a very fun Pokémon to play with, in my honest opinion.
I like using this set:

Conkeldurr @
Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252HP | 252Atk | 4Def | Adamant nature | +Atk | -SpA |
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch | Rock Slide
- Mach Punch | Rock Slide
- Payback | Earthquake | Ice Punch

My favourite set:

---
This Conkeldurr set is amazing! With a single Bulk Up, this Conkeldurr can sweep. He can heal from its Drain Punch, and takes away very important priority with Mach Punch.
"He can`t touch Ghosts" you say? Oh, wait until he OHKOs your Gengar with Payback.
I`ll kill you with my Heatran, Jolteon or Tentacruel? Oh wait, they`re OHKOd by Earthquake.
Well then, I throw in my Thundurus-Therian! Good luck killi- oh, Rock Slide.
---
What is thought to "counter" this pokemon?
Ghosts. This is easily to be dealt with using Payback. If you want to counter Grass-types, you should go for the Ice Punch instead, but I prefer Payback, since it takes away the immunity.
Is there anyway to bypass this pokemon's so-called "counters?
Payback | Ice Punch
What moves are seldom used on this pokemon, but have the most upside?
Rock Slide and Earthquake. Rock Slide hits Flying-types which can do serious damage to Conkeldurr, and Earthquake hits Poisons, Fires and Electrics, since Conkeldurr can`t really touch them.
What niches can this pokemon potentially fill in the current metagame?
Fulfill the space as sweeper, which hits pretty much everything effective. I know people prefer using other sweepers, but Conkeldurr is one of the best, in my opinion.
What opposing pokemon does this pokemon do well against?
Common steel-types (Scizor, Heatran, Ferrothorn)
Common rock-types (Tyranitar, Terrakion)
Normal types (Not really much in OU)
Ice types (Mamoswine, Kyurem-B, Cloyster)
Dark types (Hydreigon)
How can this pokemon benefit it's teammates?
Clearing up the battlefield so that the teammates have an easier time doing their jobs
---
I hope this set is good ^_^

I honestly would prefer to use iron fist on choice band conkeldurr. People never ever try to actively status it anyway, and even though you can't actively switch into them, people are cautious when throwing them out anyway when they see Conkeldurr in team preview. Meanwhile iron fist boosts 75% of your moves 100% of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)