The Next Best Thing v2 - Latios

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh hey! I decide to roam OU for a while and look who's the next best thing on the block.

So yeah, having written Kyurem-B a long time ago and having tested out all of its sets, I can say confidently that giving it a new, innovative set is a very very difficult thing to do because when you think about it, Kyurem-B is a little less dimentional and versatile than other threats. I mean, come on. Writing up Ice Beam on physical choice sets wasn't that big of a deal for me, but it will be for people who actually read it.

tbh I don't see any clear-cut winners here in terms of the new and the innovative. If you guys can try in a couple more days, that would be awesome. Would like to use this thing again after finals.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Hail
- Blizzard
- Fusion Bolt

this set may look like a joke, but it is actually extremely effective at disrupting your opponent's team. this set works most effectively on a weatherless team, since your opponent is much more likely to sacrifice their weather inducer in order to get their weather up sooner. with their weather inducer, you can bring this baby out and use hail to completely foil their plans. this concept has already been explored somewhat by sets such as hail starmie - except kyurem-b is able to abuse the benefits for itself. most obvious is the promotion of blizzard - a 120 bp, 100% accurate stab move coming from 372 satk is some scary shit. hail also deals passive damage, removing lefties recovery from everything else and making kyurem-b even more of a nightmare to deal with, especially in tandem with hazards, since this set tends to force a ton of switches. even if weather teams keep their inducer alive, you can still annoy the hell out of them by using hail as they switch in - and all of the common inducers can be badly hurt by kyube. under hail, even resists will be bothered by blizzspam. substitute keeps you protected from status/super effective attacks, and lets you stall for more hail damage if necessary. fusion bolt kills bulky waters and does a decent chunk of damage to stuff like heatran/jirachi/scizor etc. i guess earth power is another option, although otherwise stuff like jellicent completely walls you, and you may as well use vanilla kyurem if you're going to use a mono-special set. you don't really lose much coverage without dragon claw, tbh. give this thing a try.

@Groudon-ex: I'm not too sold on the set. The idea is interesting, but the MAIN reason Kyurem-B is such a threat in OU is Outrage coming off that 170 attack stat, which I don't see you capitalizing on.

@Groudon-ex: I'm not too sold on the set. The idea is interesting, but the MAIN reason Kyurem-B is such a threat in OU is Outrage coming off that 170 attack stat, which I don't see you capitalizing on.
Surprise factor. Physical walls like Hippo come in just to take a Blizzard to da face. Also Hippo brings in sand? Kyurem-B "OOPS I CLICKED HAIL look who got trolled?" Hippowdown *opens mouth in shock* Other things about this set is that with a Sub up, nothing can revenge it. It would take 2 priority sweepers (or faster mons w/ super effective moves) to kill Kyu-B and even still, Kyu-B would have to be weakened first. And don't forget, Terrakion and Breloom are still getting 2HKO/OHKOed by Blizzard

This set is also a good mixed set, and unorthodox. Ferro is 2HKOed by Blizzard. even max def Jellicent is still facing 2HKOs from Fusion Bolt. I like this set its not bad.

outrage should only really be used on choice sets since kyube is so easily revenge killed by faster stuff/priority, and hence may as well go for the immediate power/speed that a choice item provides. personally id say the ability to go mixed without needing significant ev investment in attack is what makes kyube so dangerous - other dragons such as garchomp, dragonite and even haxorus do pure physical attacking better due to their superior movepools. the idea behind this set isn't just to purely wall-break - darkblazer's set is better at doing that. it is meant to put pressure the opponent's team in way that it restricts their options and opens up opportunities for your team to do some work. really, nothing likes dealing with kyube behind a sub in hail. i guess it is a wall-breaker of sorts, but it generally has a supportive role for your team. i can put up some replays soon if you still don't believe that this set works.

I'm not saying the set doesn't work or anything: relax :)
All I'm saying is that Kyu-B's main niche in OU is 170-Outrage and that the set doesn't take that into account which is why I might not use the set
Of course the set is a good one, VERY CREATIVE, just that I believe Kyu-B is more suited to Attacking off the bat and that this kind of set MIGHT work better on mons more suited to support.
The surprise factor is hard to deal with though, especially considering most people(like me) won't be expecting it and will rush for our steel types :)

That's all right haha. I love Kyurem-B, but it doesn't exactly have the most diverse movepool. Unfortunately, I am not nearly creative enough to create a set. However, it is one of the most dangerous pokemon in OU. But it is hard to create a set for Kyurem-B that doesn't descend into a gimmick.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's all right haha. I love Kyurem-B, but it doesn't exactly have the most diverse movepool. Unfortunately, I am not nearly creative enough to create a set. However, it is one of the most dangerous pokemon in OU. But it is hard to create a set for Kyurem-B that doesn't descend into a gimmick.
Pretty much.

I'm gonna go give that Hail set a go, though I'll miss the power against even Blissey :1

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'll submit this because I can. If there was ever a Kyurem-B set that defined the word "Gimmick", it would be this one.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
EVs: 184 HP / 152 Spd / 172 Atk
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Fling

The idea of this set is for Kyurem-B to be able to provide as a Choice Scarfer against offensive teams, and either be able to fling its scarf off and heal up after the threats it can eliminate are gone, or to fling it off against stall teams so that it can provide itself as a bulky attacker. I theorymonned this set forever ago so I can't remember what moves the HP threshold was for, but I know they're high enough to live a couple specific attacks that most Kyurem-B can't, and get a surprise KO from the added bulk. The speed is enough to outpace max speed adamant DNite. The rest of the EVs goes in power.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting Period for Kyurem-B starts now, here are links to each set you can vote for:

For voting, just put the username of the person you wish to vote for in bold and if you want to really show your stuff, a short 1 or 2 sentence explanation for why you chose that set. Voting will be open for 2 days! Feel free to VM or PM me any suggestions for the next test subject if you have any.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Groudon ex

EDIT Lavos I just took went with the basic one. What would you recommend, I was pretty sure there had to be a more optimal spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)