The Next Best Thing...

PTJon7 gets my vote. Virizion's typing and bulk allows it to sponge a wide variety of special attacks, which is rarely highlighted upon, since the offensive SD and CM sets typically see most of the usage. However, I'd advise slashing Hidden Power Ground with Giga Drain, as Steel-types can wall that spread, fearing nothing from Giga Drain, and it allows Virizion to nab Fire-type switch-ins, who'd otherwise come in with next-to-near impunity. It also allows Virizion to hit Empoleon, the one Water-type that would otherwise beat this Virizion spread. Synthesis is already providing a form of recovery, so Giga Drain isn't manditory.

If mine ends up winning Fatty, I think replacing Giga Drain with Leaf Blade/Sacred Sword would be a good idea.

Edit: Retracted, attacks should be Giga Drain/Sacred Sword

Aren't you compromising a lot by giving up Giga Drain? I mean, sure, you can technically handle CM Raikou better, but considering you'll want to be switching into Water-types too, you're very prone to get burnt... You also take more damage from confusion by not being able to run 0 Atk IVs. Virizion would really love Secret Sword there, allowing it to take on Raikou without losing its ability to switch into bulky Water-types.
HP Ground wouldn't help with Raikou either, sadly, since it doesn't break Kou's Subs at +1. I dunno how well that would work in practice... And believe me I had a similar issue when I was trying out SpD Rotom-H, its resistances are great, but in practice, you're prone to not be able to handle the stuff you're supposed to. Again, if Virizion learnt Secret Sword, then a SpD spread would be great.

With that said, I guess Fruitseller's dual screen set is better, I've seen it in practice and it can be a nice screenpasser midgame, getting tons of opportunities to set up.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Roar/Taunt
- Synthesis

I figure Virizion would work pretty well as a special wall, considering its very good special bulk. I think this set would work best for stalling purposes, thanks to Toxic and Synthesis. Roar or Taunt for general utility purposes as well.
My vote goes to PTJon7's 1 Attack + 3 Status set--it's not total Taunt bait and it has three sources of recovery. It would go well with someone who sets entry hazards reliably, such as Froslass.

If mine ends up winning Fatty, I think replacing Giga Drain with Leaf Blade/Sacred Sword would be a good idea.
Nah, you want to keep a Special Attack on this Virizion. Ernesto laid a solid foundation as to why, but this thing should be switching in on Water-type Pokemon, nearly all of which carry Scald. The Burn would compromise Virizion to a point where it'd be dead weight almost. The 0 Atk IVs is also a good idea, and if you go physical, well, you can't do that.

Aren't you compromising a lot by giving up Giga Drain? I mean, sure, you can technically handle CM Raikou better, but considering you'll want to be switching into Water-types too, you're very prone to get burnt... You also take more damage from confusion by not being able to run 0 Atk IVs. Virizion would really love Secret Sword there, allowing it to take on Raikou without losing its ability to switch into bulky Water-types.
HP Ground wouldn't help with Raikou either, sadly, since it doesn't break Kou's Subs at +1. I dunno how well that would work in practice... And believe me I had a similar issue when I was trying out SpD Rotom-H, its resistances are great, but in practice, you're prone to not be able to handle the stuff you're supposed to. Again, if Virizion learnt Secret Sword, then a SpD spread would be great.
While Hidden Power Ground may not be able to break Raikou's Substitutes at +1, it prevents the majority of the tier from up and walling Virizion. If it chose to run Giga Drain, a total of 22 Pokemon could switch in for free, take nearly no damage, and potentially beat Virizion. Hidden Power Ground on the other hand, only loses out to 16 Pokemon, the majority of which lose out against Toxic. Secret Sword would be a godsend for a SpD Virizion set - I even looked into whether or not it learned it before casting my vote. If you do need the additional coverage, running Giga Drain with Hidden Power Rock or Hidden Power Fire over Roar / Taunt would work well.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
alright so PTJon7's SpD Virizion set is the winner. Thanks for all the other input guys, the discussion this round was pretty good. For our next pokemon, let's go with the mysterious relic bird Xatu!

alright so PTJon7's SpD Virizion set is the winner. Thanks for all the other input guys, the discussion this round was pretty good. For our next pokemon, let's go with the mysterious relic bird Xatu!

@PhilJackson11: 11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs

This should be a fun round, Xatu has a lot of cool moves it can utilize. One thing that really stood out to me is that Xatu is the best/only viable user of Stored Power in UU:

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Substitute

The concept is simple, but effective. After one CM Stored Power reaches 60 BP, after two it reaches 100 BP. HP Fighting to hit Dark types or Substitute to keep Xatu safer. The thing that makes this set superior to Sigilyph is that Xatu is not only immune to statuses, its immune to Taunt, Encore, Roar, ect.

Xatu @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain / U-turn

Another relatively simple complex, Choice Specs Xatu catches a lot of opponents off guard, easily obtaining a momentum shift. Capable of coming in on common hazard setters, such as Bronzong or Roserade, Xatu is then free to start causing some major hurt. Psyshock is the ideal STAB move here, allowing Xatu to beat CM Suicune and Snorlax, but Psychic can be used if more power is desired. Signal Beam gives Xatu something to hit opposing Umbreon and other Dark-types with, as it does hit harder than Hidden Power Fighting and carries a nice chance for confusion. Signal Beam gives Xatu a way of dealing with opposing Psychic-types too. Heat Wave incinerates Steel-, Grass-, and bug-type switch-ins to Xatu, clearing paths for its teammates. The last slot is mostly preference based, as Giga Drain allows Xatu to bust Rhyperior and Swampert open after having bounced their Stealth Rock back while recovering any lost HP. However, U-turn may be ran instead to preserve momentum and potentially spare Xatu from being trapped by Pursuit.

Pokemon that really require niche Pokemon removed before they can attempt a sweep, such as Victini, Sharpedo, and to an extent Raikou, appreciate this Xatu spread, as the surprise factor is typically enough to open up some holes and give those said teammembers a chance to sweep. This Xatu also works well on offensive teams that cannot afford to run a Spinner nor their own hazard setter, as it can technically fill both those roles while maintaining an offensive presence.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
This should be a fun round, Xatu has a lot of cool moves it can utilize. One thing that really stood out to me is that Xatu is the best/only viable user of Stored Power in UU:

Xatu @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Substitute

The concept is simple, but effective. After one CM Stored Power reaches 60 BP, after two it reaches 100 BP. HP Fighting to hit Dark types or Substitute to keep Xatu safer. The thing that makes this set superior to Sigilyph is that Xatu is not only immune to statuses, its immune to Taunt, Encore, Roar, ect.
Have you ever heard of a thing called Sigilyph? Sigilyph has Cosmic Power (Xatu does too but is too frail to pull it off) to be unstoppable (phazing and taunt is a problem tho...), and is Status-Proof once holding a Flame/Toxic Orb, which it takes no damage from thanks to Magic Guard. Speaking of which, Magic Guard (alongside better bulk) gives it outstanding durability, something that Xatu can only dream of. So CLEARLY, Sigilyph is a better user of Stored Power in the UU Metagame. This set is more suited for Sigilyph.
That is all :)

Yes I am indeed aware that Sigilyph exists, I meant the only pokemon in the UU Tier that can utilize Stored Power. And as i said in my post, Xatu has the advantage of being immune to Taunt and phazing moves, which makes setting up easier. The point of this thread is to come up with creative sets for Xatu, this fits the bill and is competitively viable.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes I am indeed aware that Sigilyph exists, I meant the only pokemon in the UU Tier that can utilize Stored Power. And as i said in my post, Xatu has the advantage of being immune to Taunt and phazing moves, which makes setting up easier. The point of this thread is to come up with creative sets for Xatu, this fits the bill and is competitively viable.
Lol yeah this thread is for creative sets, but you said that Xatu was the ONLY viable user of Stored Power in UU, which isn't true because Sigilyph is in the UU METAGAME (as I mentioned in my post) and is a better user.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
ptjon didn't specify "uu metagame", he indeed said uu, and sigilyph is not in uu. with that said, let's not get bent out of shape about fucking wording, just focus on the sets posted and the individual pokes.

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 12 SDef / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- FeatherDance
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Night Shade
- Roost

Sort of a weird set, but it utilizes FeatherDance to cripple physical attackers on the switch-on or that are attempting to set up on it, either forcing out a switch or giving Xatu the opportunity to wall and Toxic-stall them. If you switch Xatu into a Rhyperior's or Swampert's Stealth Rocks, you can also use FeatherDance to keep them from KO'ing you with Rock Blast or Ice Punch after bouncing their hazards back.

A Bold nature is used over Impish to reduce damage from Foul Play and confusion. 200 HP gives Xatu a leftovers number and 44 Spd lets it outspeed Jolly Scrafty. You can alternatively run Thunder Wave over Toxic to cripple physical sweepers or scarfers even more, preventing them from outspeeding the rest of your team. Night Shade is used over Psyshock/Psychic so it can break most subs as well as hit Dark pokemon.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
let the voting commence! we have PTJon's Stored Power Xatu, Pokemazter's Choice Specs Xatu, and Kyrk's FeatherDance Xatu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)