The Next Best Thing

That is almost going to be a toss-up between DarkBlazeR and Alexander.. We had an Anti-Lead for non-sand teams in mind before DarkBlazeR came up with one but it lacks SR, while we would have preferred Ice Beam plus Fire Blast over Ice Punch and Stone Edge. We don't see the immediate advantage of a positive nature for speed in both of them considering the sheer amout of foes creeping over Tyranitar, unless we are dying to outrun Magnezone, Xatu and 252 Specs-Toed - we would rather keep him below it to spot it on sight.

Enough of the griping, good job on both of them. As for the toss-up, DarkBlazerR, though we really think it should be Lonely rather than Hasty and has SR next to Stone Edge.

DarkBlazeR's set. but people need to stop saying its original, this was used competitively before the english version of the game was even out.

ill take half that statement back, the max speed EV thing is original about it.

DarkBlazeR

amazing lure set. i was tempted to vote for alex's set though since ttar is one of the best sr leads in the current metagame. if it were me though i'd use flamethrower over ice punch so forre can't spin for free on you.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is DarkBlazeR's Mixed Focus Sash Tyranitar set. This set will be added in the archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the steel behemoth, Metagross!

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Trick

What a beast. I used this set a lot in BW and I actually enjoy it in BW2 too. Choice Scarf Metagross is a really good and underrated revenge-killer in my opinion, and it can surprise a lots of people nowadays; Meteor Smash is the STAB which Metagross must always have obviously, Ice Punch is here to revenge-kill Dragon-types such as Dragonite and Salamence and Landorus as well and Earthquake is here to have simple a move to hit other Steel-types such as Heatran, Jirachi, Magnezone and so on which otherwise can block completely Metagross. In the 4th slot, I usually use Trick, which is really useful against walls such as Skarmory and Hippowdon which are a real pain for Metagross, it's in general a very useful move against any stall teams and when I don't need Choice Scarf for some reason, I can switch it too. In short, Choice Scarf Metagross is quite good, always in my humble opinion, and it's underrated too obviously so give a try at this set people, it can be really amazing :toast:

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm

This is a pretty cool set and has been the only one I'll run if I want to run a Metagross, really only when Torn-T was around and then only rarely ;]. So the set works a lot like SubToxic Heatran. Metagross has got some great resists plus enough bulk and power to force switches, when it does you Sub up. From there you can A) Smack something hard or B) Toxic Stall something. Toxic is great on this set as Bulky Water-types are some of Metagross most common switch-ins. And with Sub+Toxic you can stall them out until you can EQ them to death. Speed EVs are to speed creep Sub Magnezone and should give you plenty of room to outpace Tyranitar, though by no means will outspeed them all, then max attack to smash things and finally extra EVs go to HP for a snazzy Leftovers number.

To address the slashes: As neliel pointed out zen headbutt has some utility as it can hit the water-types harder, plus if you're team really doesn't like Keldeo that might make the nod in its favor. Hammer Arm can also be used, but really the only utility I see is if your team really dosen't like Skarmory as Hammer Arm will do more to the metal bird.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
@joeyboy have you tought about zen headbutt instead of meteor smash? in general steel sucks as an offensive type, and while psichic is not that better it lets you hit water types harder, so that you dont have to sub every time to toxic stall them. Also it has a nice flinch rate, which can help against a toxiced pokemon, and it has more accuracy. Meteor smash works too, but i think zen headbutt deserves a slash on that set.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 148 HP / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

First of all, everything with Gravity and Earthquake in its movepool is awesome on paper - that is also one of the points is a bit ahead of Jirachi. There is a bit more: Clear Body allows it to resort to the stronger Ice Punch instead to HP Ice as it is not crippled by incoming Landorus-Ts. Dispatching them quickly is essential to dedicated Gravity teams as it may be turned against the user when you are careless. As for many Gravity teams, good hazards support is very much appreciated since we forgo the Life Orb for a defensive measure - you need to damage pivot Landorus-T somehow for an OHKO, SR are sufficient. With the berry and no HP at all, no Landorus will be able to one-shot Metagross, Gliscor even fails a 2HKO. The extra HP act as a minor damage sponge as no one is daring enough to send them directly into a Metagross not EQ-locked. Otherwise this one has enough speed not to go into a nasty speed creep with SDef Heatran.
Other options: Jolly nature allows you to outrun Modest balloon Heatran. As for moves, there are Meteor Mash and Dynamic Punch, which hits Ferrothorn and Tyranitar harder but is rather redundant with Earthquake.

We think at least one of you will suggest a regular Shuca Berry Metagross without Gravity. It makes a good lure for unwitting Landoruses and is a good match with Clear Body and Ice Punch.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@neliel Yeah I tend to keep my sets slash free but after looking at some other sets in the archive I decided to include a couple.

@Onicon It should be noted that the mixed set you posted has an analysis onsite, be sure to check that before posting :)

It wasn't the analysis we haven't read but rather the thread description we have missed but one little sentence in the thread description. We'll remove it.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
184 HP/ 252 Atk/ 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

This set is quite effective and can be pretty easy to set up. Due to Metagross's plethora of resistances and natural solid bulk, he is capable of sponging a wide variety of hits and forcing switches. Upon these switches, the use of magnet rise gives Meta a temporary "levitate" ability for 5 turns, and therefore eliminating one if its two weaknesses. the other, fire, is weakened by the occa berry, giving metagross a chance to retaliate with earthquake to hit STAB users super effectively. With earthquake being one of the most widespread physical moves in the metagame, magnet rise becomes extremely effective and suprising and limits Metagross's counters, such as terrakion and landorus(T) who cannot hit for super effective damage. the Evs are to outspeed specially defensive heatran and maximize attack and overall bulk.

This set is really alot of fun to use, as it packs a great suprise. try it out!

Metagross @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch

Hone Claws is a good choice to use on Metagross due to Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt not having the perfect accuracy you would want. There's really not much to say about this set, you come in on one of the many resistances Metagross has, set up on the switch, and use your excellent bulk to become a tank. No speed EV's are added because at base 70 Spe, you aren't really outspeeding anything that would threaten you anyways with investment. The EV's instead take advantage of Metagross' significant bulk to tank some hits and hit hard back. Zen Headbutt has been slashed because if you are really concerned about Speed or want some sort of priority, it's there to use.

OK hear me out on this one.

Metagross @ Leftovers / Heat Rock
252 HP / 248 Sp.Def / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Substitute

With Rain teams being so ridiculously prevalent in the current metagame, Metagross can serve as the least expected candidate to let a little light shine through. This Metagross set is designed to lead against opposing Politoeds and support a sun or semi-sun team. The EV spread lets it outpseed any listed Smogon Politoed set besides choice scarf while maintaining special bulk. That and sun will just obliterate the effectiveness of Politoed's water moves. Any game without Politoed, or after winning the weather war, Metagross can is used as the Stealth Rock setter, and a toxic-staller.

Some calcs:
Scarfed Politoed in rain using Hydro Pump: 48.9 - 57.96%
After taking 1 Hydro Pump, Metagross is able to set sun up. Now it looks like this
Scarfed Politoed in sun using Hydro Pump: 15.93 - 19.23%
Now we are able to utilize any of Metagross' remaining moves. Set up SR if needed, Toxic whatever wants to come in (or Politoed, although highly unlikely to stay in), or substitute in order to scout the incoming pokemon (again if Politoed chooses to stay in, the sub will not break and then you are free to Toxic).

Specs Politoed in sun using Hydro Pump: 26.37 - 31.31%
This is a negligible amount after leftovers recovery. After seeing sun come up before Hydro Pump, you can expect a switch. Again, the options of what you want to do are the same as before.

This Metagross is specific to certain teams, namely sun teams that need a surprise side-kick to win a weather war. Although specific, it does fill a unique roll. The surprise factor for this Metagross is absolutely through the roof. If you want to play it even more sneaky, you don't even have to run a full sun team, forget Ninetales, just carry a pure Politoed counter to get it out of the way, have Metagross set up, and let a Chlorophyll user blow holes in your opponent's team. Heat Rock is the preferred item if you go this route.

A little advice: Metagross is better off not to tap into a function Jirachi completely outclasses it in, let alone the effectiveness of such a set as a stand-alone. Tentacruel walls you, any steel type walls you, you still run into the risk of getting it burned and anything with substitute will laugh at it as they set up. Have at least the courtesy to give that poor thing HP Fire!

Do I sound rude? You have my apologize in the case it does. No sarcasm!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)