Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Taunt is a shaky way to deal with Deoxys-D because many of them run either Mental Herb or Magic Coat. The former always let your opponent setup one hazard, and the latter can only be avoided by proper prediction. That's why the best way to deal with Deoxys-D, not letting it setup hazards, is outspeeding AND OHKOing him. Also, some Deoxys-D are using Tanga Berry to avoid being OHKOed by CB Genesect, and no one uses Bug Bite on CB Scizor; it is stronger, yes, but lacks the utility of U-Turn.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Dark Angel, to be honest, it isn't hard to actually just remove hazards. Starmie easily beats common Gengar partner with the outspeeding and the OHKO (not to mention, with bulk, it can LIVE a shadow ball from Scarf Gar...) and usually always gets the spin. Forretress also resist Shadow Ball and can break its sub, etc.

Deo-D itself is suspectible to Bug Buzz and Taunt, and if you reply with Mental Herb, why can't I just run Mental Herb on my faster suicuide lead like Aerodactyl / Azelf? Also, magic bouncers royally screw over Deo-D, despite they're rare appearance. Also, many Pokemon actually set up on Deo-D, forcing them to try and taunt first turn (Dnite sweeps otherwise), but then they fear an Outrage 3HKO at +0 if they do taunt, thus not getting any layer of spikes on the field. This can be said for ANY set up Pokemon, not excluding CM Keldeo, SD (and also taunt) Terrakion, Rock Polish Genesect (which kills most HO), Rock Polish or Substitute Landorus-I, SubSD Garchomp, and anything else. If they risk set up; I can gurantee that most of the HO team will be royally dented and easily beaten if they set up, if they taunt, they risk a direct 2HKO from most of these Pokemon (lets not mention that most of the entioned threats OUTSPEED and set up +1 or +2 anyway).

My point is that you're implying that Deo-D is better than you're giving it credit for. Deo-D is only considered an option over Aero, Azelf, Mew, and even SRImprision Landorus because it can set up Spikes. Otherwise, it would be a major liablility. Most smart players make the opposing team suffer for even using Deo-D, and lets not even CONSIDER that I chose to ran Starmie, which royally screws Deo-D teams in the ass.

Kyurem black I feel should be rank B. he needs support to run through teams as he is mainly only found wearing a choiced item, so he either doesnt hit that hard and gets walled. Or he gets revenge killed. So he is powerfull dont get me wrong. He just definatly needs more support to sweep, than other pokes.
I also feel Starmie should maybe move fown one place, simply because I feel less and less spinners are being used (outside of sun and hail - least common weathers and starmie is never on them teams anyway) and other pokes are more bulky and more offensive. I feel the shift to BW2 has moved away from Starmie even though rain has rissen in usage basically.
Dugtio.. It is amazing at what it does and it does it every time (thats the criteria for A right?) with the rise in all weather, Dugtrio can trap and win you the weather war, which usually is the game decider with the number of abusers out there.
So yeah I dont see why Dugtrio is in B doing its job spotlessly with good play, and others in A struggle to muscle through teams.
Just my thoughts :D

Kyurem black I feel should be rank B. he needs support to run through teams as he is mainly only found wearing a choiced item
I think that it has been stated pretty much everywhere that Kyurem B is at its best when running not banded sets, either mixed or Hone Claws seem to be in flavor.

Kyurem-B should remain in A just becaue it's the only sprite on the first page that moves :)

But in all honesty, the sub+hone claws and sub+3 attacks are certainly enough to place it at least on the cusp of being one of OU's biggest threats. Its combination of power and bulk is offset a bit by its movepool, common weaknesses, etc. but if you guess the set wrong or don't carry something that can hard revenge it you are pretty much guaranteed to lose 2 or 3 pokemon, which usually means the game. That thing is way to threatening to be B (I'd say the same thing about Venusaur, but that may just be because I run a lot of weatherless lately)

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Kyurem-Black should stay A Rank, as it fits the description perfectly. Let's take a look at what classifies an A Rank:

"Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time."

Kyurem-B isn't a support Pokemon, so ignore that part. However, it definitely does sweep significant portions of the metagame, with its CB Outrage tearing through anything that doesn't resist it and have good physical defense, and coverage moves such as Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam, and Earth Power making for a good Sub + 3 Attacks set as well. It's also true that Kyu-B definitely has some big flaws: weakness to Steel and Fighting priority, base speed of 95 makes it easy to revenge kill, sometimes hard to switch in. However, none of these factors take away from Kyu-B being a huge threat that the metagame has had to find new ways to deal with. You can't call this monster B Rank.

I'd agree that Deoxys-D is S Tier, despite some of the arguments made about it in A Tier. Deoxys-D as a lead is pretty obnoxious to play against, it can guarantee hazards in nearly every match due to it's excellent defences and decent speed. While you may think that Aerodactyl, Azelf or any other viable Hyper Offense lead does the same thing, there are a couple things that set them apart. I think the main thing is the great bulk, as usually you're always gonna get Stealth Rock up against most lead matchups, and even if your opponent changes their lead to beat Deoxys-D, then you just prevented them from otherwise getting hazards up, which is great for Hyper Offense teams using Deoxys-D, that also commonly run Salamence, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc who really do not want Stealth Rock up. Honestly if you don't lead with something to beat Deoxys-D, then you can potentially risk your opponent getting all their hazards up by the 4th turn, which means at that point they don't even need to predict or play well, just use hard hitting moves in combination with hazards damage to wear most stuff down.

Another thing that the bulk helps with is the viability of other items Deoxys-D can run. Unlike other common HO leads such as Azelf or Aerodactyl, both have to run Focus Sash to guarantee hazards, as they really aren't bulky enough to get up Stealth Rock all the time. Deoxys-D really doesn't need to worry about running Focus Sash to live a hit, as it's living most hits, even the more common ways to remove Deoxys-D such as CB Tar Crunch and Scizor U-Turn don't have a chance to OHKO 100% of the time, still meaning that you have gotten hazards up. Because you don't need to run Focus Sash and that it's only purpose is to prevent + get up hazards, Deoxys-D can viably run other items to beat common lead matchups. Mental Herb for faster Taunters and opposing Deoxys-D, while even Starmie and Tentacruel are not safe as offensive sets beat spinners paving the way for a sweep. Deoxys-D's bulk is also important because Aerodactyl, Azelf and other Hyper Offense leads are realistically only staying around for 2 turns, getting you a Stealth Rock + Taunt at best. Deoxys-D's bulk means it can set up vs opposing hazard setters easily, while also shutting them down with a fast Taunt.

Deoxys-D is definitely S-Tier, and one of the better and more reliable B/W2 leads. Some matches can simply be decided down to who wins the Deoxys-D speed tie when it comes down to Hyper Offense vs Hyper Offense, as that guaranteed hazards really puts you in a bad position from the early turns of the match.

Mew for A tier even though it should probably be S rank, the stallbreaker set stops many threats including most Terrakion, Scizor, most Jirachi (as it can synchronize the paralysis) Blissey, Chansey, Forretress, Heatran (if Mew has EQ), most Dragonite, Ferrothorn, T-tar, Skarmory, Hippowdon.
And that's only one set. The Nasty Plot set is very hard to counter as after a Nasty Plot it reaches Mewtwo's power at +1. The Swords Dance set is very underrated, I find it much better than the Nasty Plot set because of access to Sucker Punch which can take care of faster threats such as Latios, Tornadus-T, Jolteon, Starmie, Gengar, Celebi, Alakazam, etc at +2. A Choice Scarf set with Transform, Flamethrower,Ice beam,Tailwind is viable as it can outspeed Genesect and KO with flamethrower or Landorus with Ice beam. People never see it coming. Mew is also one of the best Baton Passers as it has great bulk and access to Taunt and very hard to stop behind dual screens. Kaboom Mew is also a great lead for HO teams and it can beat pretty much beat any lead with Magic Coat. Mew can do it all. Need I say more? Also don't give me the other things do it better because Mew is different because of bulk and the fact that your opponent will not know what set it's running.

Dark Fallen Angel

If Mew was to be a S-tier Pokémon, it would be OU. Mew is very versatile, but there aren't much things that it can do that other Pokémon can't do better. Although that's true, that the stallbreaker set is hard to stop. I've used him for some time and it can stall out many threats. This set isn't as good as before because stall teams are rare, but it's also good against physical sweepers, although the prevalence of Tornadus-T, Keldeo and Sheer Force Landorus means that there aren't much sweepers that Mew can actually stop.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mew can really only run 3 sets well in OU. Lead, NP and Stallbreaker. Mew is not very good offensively either as it's stats are not exceptional. It is a solid Pokemon, but not deserving of S Rank. It can't preform it's role very well either, as for the most part other Pokemon do it a bit better. Mew is a great Poke, but it is not A or S rank material.

If Mew was to be a S-tier Pokémon, it would be OU. Mew is very versatile, but there aren't much things that it can do that other Pokémon can't do better. Although that's true, that the stallbreaker set is hard to stop. I've used him for some time and it can stall out many threats. This set isn't as good as before because stall teams are rare, but it's also good against physical sweepers, although the prevalence of Tornadus-T, Keldeo and Sheer Force Landorus means that there aren't much sweepers that Mew can actually stop.
Usage has very little to do with how good a pokemon is. If Deoxys-D who can only do one thing setting up hazards is S tier I really don't see how Mew can't who can do much much more and btw Kaboom Mew is a better lead than Deoxys-D imo.

Usage has very little to do with how good a pokemon is. If Deoxys-D who can only do one thing setting up hazards is S tier I really don't see how Mew can't who can do much much more and btw Kaboom Mew is a better lead than Deoxys-D imo.
Usage has everything to do with how good a pokemon is. If mew was really that good, people would use it more because it is good. The reason why mew isn't prominent in the meta is because it's outclassed in every role it tries to do by atleast 1 other poke.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tabuu said:
Here is my thoughts on why Dugtrio is B-Tier:
A B-Tier Pokemon struggles to sweep/wall a significant portion of the metagame. Observing Dugtrio it really can't function as a sweeper due to BPs, ESs, Ice Shards and other bulky threats that litter OU. TBH Dugtrio isn't a sweeper pokemon. It functions more as an offensive niche than anything. You need a Heatran gone? Look no further. Tyranitar? Got him. Ninetales? Over. Other threats that can be trapped and OHKOd? Will do. (Now, we're obviously assuming these 'Mons don't hold Air Balloon or SHed Shell. However this just adds to my argument yet again, as sometimes, Dugtrio's offensive niche can easily be taken away.) He also does have flaws namely a scare movepool and a frail defense. However, Dugtrio is still a very dangerous 'Mon; this fact prevents him from falling any further than B. But to say that a niche pokemon is A-Tier?....not this time :)
Dugtrio IS a niche Pokemon, that's its entire purpose, to trap and KO Heatran and Tyranitar/Ninetales/weakened Politoed. However, you are underestimating how devastating that is. For rain teams, unless the opposing weather inducer is Hippowdon, Dugtrio will consistently win the weather war. Sun has trouble with Heatran and Tyranitar and beating weakened Politoed is a great thing to have. Additionally, with Stone Edge, Dugtrio can KO Volcarona, a huge obstacle for the many sun teams that have difficult dealing with its onslaught. Dugtrio can even find time to set up Stealth Rock, which is an invaluablr utility. While Dugtrio's lack of power can't be denied, it's still one of the most useful Pokemon in OU, so much so that some of the teams that define this metagame, such as Politoed/Dugtrio/Tentacruel/Tornadus-T/Ferrothorn/Genesect and Lavos Sun, use it. With all of these traits considered, Dugtrio is undoubtedly worthy of A tier.

Anyway, nominating Landorus-T for A tier. Landorus-T's got a lot going for it. With Intimidate, it is one of the best Terrakion checks in existence, not to mention that it neutralizes +1 Salamence/+1 Dragonite and forces most CBers out. The standard pivot set is, well, an excellent pivot for an array of attacks, perhaps the most notable of these being Genesect's U-turn. It is among the most reliable setters of Stealth Rock, only outdone by MAYBE Deoxys-D and Terrakion, but neither have much opportunity to set up Stealth Rock more than once throughout the duration of a match, something Landorus-T doesn't have too much trouble doing. When Landorus-T comes in on something such as Terrakion that won't be doing too much damage to it factoring in Intimidate, it can take advantage of the imminent switch and U-turn to bring a teammate in unscathed, a la bulky attacker Rotom-W. Even with not that much investment, base 145 Attack makes Landorus-T pack a punch. It can even utilize Rock Polish and sweep once Skarmory/Ferrothorn are removed, be a nice bulkyish revenge killer, set up the dangerous Gravity, or just don a Choice Band and OHKO/2HKO the metagame. Seriously, the sky's the limit for Landorus-T, and faring poorly against Steel-types should not deter it from claiming a spot in A tier.

EDIT: Oh, and briefly on Mew—it has some flaws that keep it B tier imo, it's an excellent mon with some effective sets, but you can say that about most of B tier. I might nominate Bronzong for B tier once I gather my complete thoughts on it (it's awesome and I love it to pieces on my sun team, but I need to test it out a bit more for some more conclusive data).

EDIT2: Oh, and Tabuu, I don't think anyone agrees with B tier Starmie, don't fret. Starmie's an awesome mon brimming with positives, including the ability to spin, great coverage, decent bulk when you invest in it, blazing Speed, and a powerful STAB Hydro Pump/Surf (especially in rain). Starmie isn't going anywhere.

Spyro

Banned deucer.
Mew should be S rank or atleast A rank imo that other guy already said everything that needed to be said.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Mew should be S rank or atleast A rank imo that other guy already said everything that needed to be said.
Its been said already, but mew isn't A rank and I lol every time some one brings up S rank Mew. Lets face it, base 100 in every stat is average in the current metagame, not to mention that when you see mew you will know what set it is running if your a smart player. If its coming out first everyone should be able to recognize its more than likely a lead mew, and should respond accordingly. If the player is playing conservatively with mew and not bringing it into threats that the stall breaker mew covers (ie not using it to attempt to beat Scizor and Jellicent) you can probably think hes saving it for the late game sweep with a NP Mew. The very rare Baton Pass Mew may show itself on Baton Pass teams, but lets not go into those.

Mew also faces very stiff competition for the teams bulky psychic slot, if the team can afford to run one of those at all. Celebi and Jirachi both have secondary typing which give them a strong niche over Mew, not to mention Jirachi's niche ability and the fact that both of them are far more unpredictable, being able to run a plethora of sets that are viable, more so in Jirachi's case. Jirachi has wish passing, Haxing and a better defensive typing over Mew, while Celebi has its in demand secondary typing and the fact that it synergizes well with heatran and it can run a far better IMO Nasty Plot set with Giga Drain recovering off Life Orb recoil. Not to mention they both run fairly effective choice sets.

Although you can fine tune Mew to do pretty much whatever your team needs to and to dispatch of nearly whatever you need it to, it is fairly predictable and most teams will have a way to dispatch of it. It easily fits the criteria of a B tier mon, a support mon that can do its job a fair amount of the team, but there is a fair amount of things that can stop it doing it effectively all the time. It is a very good choice of pokemon don't get me wrong, but its not up there with the big boys in A and S tier (seriously how is mew in the leagues of Terrakion, Deo-D, Politoed and Genesect????)

"not to mention that when you see mew you will know what set it is running if your a smart player."
Uhh no unless you're battling a bad player using Mew.

"If its coming out first everyone should be able to recognize its more than likely a lead mew, and should respond accordingly"
Genesect say hi to scarfed flamethrower lol.

Mew also faces very stiff competition for the teams bulky psychic slot, if the team can afford to run one of those at all. Celebi and Jirachi both have secondary typing which give them a strong niche over Mew, not to mention Jirachi's niche ability and the fact that both of them are far more unpredictable, being able to run a plethora of sets that are viable, more so in Jirachi's case.
Is Jirachi even that good anymore? I always seem to stop it/force it out with Rotom-W it also can't really take a Close Combat from Choice banded Terrakion.

while Celebi has its in demand secondary typing and the fact that it synergizes well with heatran and it can run a far better IMO Nasty Plot set with Giga Drain recovering off Life Orb recoil.
Stopped reading here.

Keldeo333 I hate to break it to you but you sound very ignorant on the metagame by your comments. This isn't D/P. Scarfed Mew sounds ridiculously anti-meta and is only good to anti-lead gensect and otherwise sucks and is completely outclassed by . Jirachi is one of the best pokes in the game with paraflinch, wish support, stealth rocks, great resistances. SubCM is just completely OP especially when people run it on rain teams and exploit parafusion like crazy. Finally, NP Celebi can 6-0 rain/sand teams. Every one of your points is terrible.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Keldeo33, just stop. You don't understand anything about the metagame and obviously have no idea what your doing. Jirachi is not meant to take Close Combats. It is meant to take Draco Meteors and Hurricane along with other neutral special attacks. Jirachi is a great Poke in this metagame especially because of the prevalance of these moves. And yes, you will probably know what set the person is using just based in team analysis and the way it is played. Asek gave great examples on this, and considering you have no back up evidence to suport your claims, you are thus incorrect just by lack of evidence.

While I agree that NP Mew is a pretty good set up sweeper with it's high movepool choices and strength in coverage, Mew lacks important resistances and setbup oppurtunity Celebi has. Celebi resists water and ground giving it very high chances to set up on many of these threats. It also resists Fighting just like Mew. It can also somewhat reliably heal itself with Giga Drain, which is a huge bonus. Celebi even has the better ability in Natural Cure to heal itself from status ailments, giving it a bigger team player role. I really like Mew, but Celebi is simply more anti-metagame in some aspects, as it has solid typing in the current metagame.

Dark Fallen Angel

Keldeo333 I hate to break it to you but you sound very ignorant on the metagame by your comments. This isn't D/P. Scarfed Mew sounds ridiculously anti-meta and is only good to anti-lead gensect and otherwise sucks and is completely outclassed by . Jirachi is one of the best pokes in the game with paraflinch, wish support, stealth rocks, great resistances. SubCM is just completely OP especially when people run it on rain teams and exploit parafusion like crazy. Finally, NP Celebi can 6-0 rain/sand teams. Every one of your points is terrible.
Objection; how can NP Celebi 6-0 rain/sand teams? I run NP Celebi myself, and I know that this isn't true. It is not as easily as it sounds. On both teams, you need to eliminate Genesect unless you know that it isn't a Scarf set. On rain, you need to eliminate Tornadus-T. On sand teams, you need to eliminate Scarf Landorus and CB/CS Terrakion (as they both pack X-Scissor). There may be also some things that can revenge kill NP Celebi before it has a chance to sweep, but as of now I can only remember these. That said, most sand/rain teams pack at least one of these things that I mentioned, so Celebi can many times only function as a late-game sweeper. It's hardly going to sweep early-to-mid game.

Keldeo33, just stop. You don't understand anything about the metagame and obviously have no idea what your doing. Jirachi is not meant to take Close Combats. It is meant to take Draco Meteors and Hurricane along with other neutral special attacks. Jirachi is a great Poke in this metagame especially because of the prevalance of these moves. And yes, you will probably know what set the person is using just based in team analysis and the way it is played. Asek gave great examples on this, and considering you have no back up evidence to suport your claims, you are thus incorrect just by lack of evidence.

While I agree that NP Mew is a pretty good set up sweeper with it's high movepool choices and strength in coverage, Mew lacks important resistances and setbup oppurtunity Celebi has. Celebi resists water and ground giving it very high chances to set up on many of these threats. It also resists Fighting just like Mew. It can also somewhat reliably heal itself with Giga Drain, which is a huge bonus. Celebi even has the better ability in Natural Cure to heal itself from status ailments, giving it a bigger team player role. I really like Mew, but Celebi is simply more anti-metagame in some aspects, as it has solid typing in the current metagame.
Does Celebi have taunt? Will-O-Wisp? The ability to learn every tutor move, HM/TM? No right? so how is it better than Mew? I guess the grass typing gives it a niche but Mew works in a different way than Celebi. And answer me this why is Deoxys-D S rank when Mew is a better lead and can also do much more? please I really just want to know. Volcarona can set up on Deoxys D while it can't on lead Mew, other things can also set up on Deoxys D so that's why I don't use it on HO teams. Also with the high Genesect usage I really doubt Celebi will stay OU that much longer. Celebi has too many weaknesses that can easily be exploited not to mention Tornadus-t and Tyranitar just shit's all over it.And I agree Jirachi is a great pokemon but it's more predictable because it's movepool it's pretty limited. Mew can stop just as many threats as Celebi and Jirachi. The reason why Mew is a much better Nasty Plot user than Celebi is because it has access to Psyshock Aura sphere and Fire blast if Celebi had those than yeah Celebi would be the better Nasty Plot sweeper. Also even if you know Mew's set it doesn't mean it's going to be easy to stop. Btw I do know a lot about the metagame.

Objection; how can NP Celebi 6-0 rain/sand teams? I run NP Celebi myself, and I know that this isn't true. It is not as easily as it sounds. On both teams, you need to eliminate Genesect unless you know that it isn't a Scarf set. On rain, you need to eliminate Tornadus-T. On sand teams, you need to eliminate Scarf Landorus and CB/CS Terrakion (as they both pack X-Scissor). There may be also some things that can revenge kill NP Celebi before it has a chance to sweep, but as of now I can only remember these. That said, most sand/rain teams pack at least one of these things that I mentioned, so Celebi can many times only function as a late-game sweeper. It's hardly going to sweep early-to-mid game.
Yeah, I was exaggerating for effect, but it's a massive threat to rain/sand teams... thanks for calling me out on it. It's not going to 6-0 most rain/sand teams, I've seen a few that it definitely is capable of. That said, you're completely right. There are a few rain teams taht don't carry Tornadus or genesect and some sand teams that don't carry terrakion or X-scissor/Uturn Landorus.

thebrownie said:
Do you mean Virizion? As Dark Fallen Angel said, celebii cant sweep much until all of its numerous checks are removed. Virizion is usually a clean 6-0 on rain stall (Lets say Poli/Ferro/Tenta/Jirachi (Sub CM)/ Chansey/ filler) and beats most offensive rain after Torn-T is gone. Virizion also bests sand much easier, with more speed and that great dual STAB most stall/Bulky teams are beaten easily. Celebii does have its uses, but if you're looking for a bulky sweeper to sponge Water type attacks, I would go with Virizion.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does Celebi have taunt? Will-O-Wisp? The ability to learn every tutor move, HM/TM? No right? so how is it better than Mew? I guess the grass typing gives it a niche but Mew works in a different way than Celebi. And answer me this why is Deoxys-D S rank when Mew is a better lead and can also do much more? please I really just want to know. Volcarona can set up on Deoxys D while it can't on lead Mew, other things can also set up on Deoxys D so that's why I don't use it on HO teams. Also with the high Genesect usage I really doubt Celebi will stay OU that much longer. Celebi has too many weaknesses that can easily be exploited not to mention Tornadus-t and Tyranitar just shit's all over it.And I agree Jirachi is a great pokemon but it's more predictable because it's movepool it's pretty limited. Mew can stop just as many threats as Celebi and Jirachi. The reason why Mew is a much better Nasty Plot user than Celebi is because it has access to Psyshock Aura sphere and Fire blast if Celebi had those than yeah Celebi would be the better Nasty Plot sweeper. Also even if you know Mew's set it doesn't mean it's going to be easy to stop. Btw I do know a lot about the metagame.
Lead Mew has its uses, but in no way is better than what is basically god itself, Deoxys-D. Deoxys-D is a better lead; it has Magic Coat, Taunt, both Stealth Rock and Spikes, and three usable attacks in Psycho Boost, Hidden Power Fire, and Thunder. Deoxys-D is OHKOed by nothing, while OHKOing Mew isn't that hard. Mew can't set up both forms of hazards, it has trouble enough with the prevalence of Genesect getting Stealth Rock up. Deoxys-D has Psycho Boost if it really needs to hit hard. Mew has... Normal Gem Explosion. Great, wants to hit hard it kills itself. Deoxys-D is almost as reliable as Deoxys-S, you cannot argue that Mew is anywhere close. For HO, reliable hazards (or screens!) fall on Deoxys-D because it's amazing at it. You can create HO without Deoxys-D, but for the love of god don't dismiss it. Other than Genesect and Tornadus-T, Celebi checks quite a lot of special attackers, including Thundurus-T and Keldeo. It can use U-turn and hit hard with Leaf Storm. I don't see Celebi dropping out of OU this generation. At least not without... ST Chandelure or whatever idk. Point is, Celebi beats more than Mew (wtf does it really beat other than Fighting-types and Steel-types) and so does Jirachi. You can guess Mew's set, it's always stallbreaker, lead, or BP. You should be able to tell which one. Your perception of the metagame seems misinformed to me, maybe reading some stuff on-site would help you a bit (just a thought). Oh, and I know I'm bashing Mew overtly, it's to get a point across, I get that it can do great things and does great things (I've used it and it does amazing).

Do you mean Virizion? As Dark Fallen Angel said, celebii cant sweep much until all of its numerous checks are removed. Virizion is usually a clean 6-0 on rain stall (Lets say Poli/Ferro/Tenta/Jirachi (Sub CM)/ Chansey/ filler) and beats most offensive rain after Torn-T is gone. Virizion also bests sand much easier, with more speed and that great dual STAB most stall/Bulky teams are beaten easily. Celebii does have its uses, but if you're looking for a bulky sweeper to sponge Water type attacks, I would go with Virizion.
Virizion loses to SubToxic Tentacruel, is walled by Chansey, and that filler usually can phaze. Offensive rain, Thundurus-T beats it too. Virizion is an excellent sweeper, both CM and SD are, they just tear apart teams with ease. All you have to do is punch some holes (I had a team RMT'd right before BW2 that did this for example, loved that team) with maybe a MixMence or Hydreigon or cube or whatever and some entry hazard support, then Virizion can go to town assuming you remove its counters. So yeah, Virizion is potent, just not as much as you are implicating. (thanks for reppin' my boy though)

PDC

street spirit fade out
I am going to address your post in different sections to make it more clear.

answer me this why is Deoxys-D S rank when Mew is a better lead and can also do much more? please I really just want to know. Volcarona can set up on Deoxys D while it can't on lead Mew, other things can also set up on Deoxys D so that's why I don't use it on HO teams. Also with the high Genesect usage I really doubt Celebi will stay OU that much longer. Celebi has too many weaknesses that can easily be exploited not to mention Tornadus-t and Tyranitar just shit's all over it
Ok, first off, Deoxys-D can set up Spikes in addition to Stealth Rock, giving more hazard support to HO teams that really need it to work. Mew is not a bad lead, and I am not saying it is. In fact I actually do like the lead Mew set. I really do think it is pretty damn cool and deserves more recognition. But Deoxys-D also has more bulk, allowing it to set up more hazards at the same time. Mew has the advantage of the ability to attack which Deoxys-D can't do very well (although Thunder and Psycho Boost are pretty viable). Mew's extra speed does not help much either, as it doesn't really guarantee much extra advantages. Timid Volcarona still doesn't care much about either, while Modest is outsped and Taunted on by both.

Mew is weak to U-Turn, so is Tyranitar, so is Latias and Latios, so is Alakazam and so is Reuniclus. But does that stop them? No, it doesn't. Celebi can also Thunder Wave or Hidden Power Fire Genesect to KO or cripple it, meaning it is not completely walled by Genesect with the right prediction. Same goes with Tornadus - T in the notion of Thunder Wave. Tyranitar does not like taking a +2 Giga Drain or Life Orb Leaf Storm either, so it can't 100% safely switch in. Especially frailer variants.

And I agree Jirachi is a great pokemon but it's more predictable because it's movepool it's pretty limited. Mew can stop just as many threats as Celebi and Jirachi. The reason why Mew is a much better Nasty Plot user than Celebi is because it has access to Psyshock Aura sphere and Fire blast if Celebi had those than yeah Celebi would be the better Nasty Plot sweeper. Also even if you know Mew's set it doesn't mean it's going to be easy to stop.
Jirachi is about 10 times more versatile than Mew. It can easily run many sets from Expert Belt to Calm Mind effectively along with lead setting up Stealth Rock. Jirachi can also run Choice Scarf which Mew can't, these are just a few of the many it can run. Jirachi is essentially the most versatile Pokemon in OU if you ask me. Also, Mew cannot stop nearly as many threats. What can it stop really? Even stall doesn't care much for it as they commonly carry Heatran to kill off the stallbreaker set. Celebi can stop Starmie, Rotom-W, Landorus - I, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and many other threats. While Jirachi destroys Latios, Reuniclus, Latias, and Tornadus -T. I agree Mew has versatility in those moves giving it great coverage between all 3, but Mew can get stopped by Status easily, while Celebi can't. It can weaken it's counters over time this way by repeatedly hammering them and keeping pressure on them. Celebi also can set up on a variety of more threats, while Mew can't.

Mew may have a superior movepool but you cannot really go right with it compared to Celebi or Jirachi when you lack a typing that they have and yet all 3 have identical stats. Jirachi may have a more limited movepool, but thanks to its Steel-typing, Jirachi gets to do a lot more with its movepool and it gets to pull off its sets more effectively. Can Mew do this? It can't - it doesn't have the resistinces that Jirachi can provide. Also, thanks to Serene Grace, a lot of Jirachi's movesets are more annoying effective than an identical set Mew could make. Jirachi gets most of the stuff it needs too, and some things like Aura Sphere aren't really needed because Steel-types aren't getting past Jirachi oftentimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)