The Uber Metagame: a Fun "Change of Pace"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire page summed up into a sentence: use ubers in ubers.

Tormentran is slower than everything in ubers, even modest max speed base 90s. There are so many common sets that deal with it its not even funny.

Quagsire is terrible. Don't get me wrong, recover and encore are awesome, but it will do little to no sweeping, and will essentially just force out ogre (assuming it isn't specs, cm, or LO and has ice beam, which beats it) while everything else dies slowly. It contributes little to nothing offensively.

Ubers have the offense and the defense to do what needs to be done. Just use ubers!

On the subject of torment though...how about torment mewtwo? huge speed, good defenses, no real resists to speak of but few weaks also. I could see it working.
Have to disagree there, I use a scarf-primeape lead and a LO uber scizor, both work great together. Especially primeape who easily beats Dakrai and can U-turn out of wobbaffet.

Have to disagree there, I use a scarf-primeape lead and a LO uber scizor, both work great together. Especially primeape who easily beats Dakrai and can U-turn out of wobbaffet.
One thing about ubers is that there are so many dragon and ice attacks, and no steel types to resist them. For that reason, any team that wants to be defensive really benefits from the steel types that only ou and uu can provide. So scizor is a great addition to pretty much any uber team. Scarf-primeape, however, is extremely predictable and easy to play around, and cant hit hard with any move other than close combat really

Once and if you kill their Darkrai, I suspect Wobbuffet would come in and Counter you, and since you are choiced, you are dead.

One thing about ubers is that there are so many dragon and ice attacks, and no steel types to resist them. For that reason, any team that wants to be defensive really benefits from the steel types that only ou and uu can provide. So scizor is a great addition to pretty much any uber team. Scarf-primeape, however, is extremely predictable and easy to play around, and cant hit hard with any move other than close combat really
Scarf Primeape still plays a great game anyway ;) And then thing 'bout scizor's true.

Once and if you kill their Darkrai, I suspect Wobbuffet would come in and Counter you, and since you are choiced, you are dead.
True,

Unless he kills them with U-turn, and switches to Giratina-O or another ghost.
I use a team with:
Scarfprimeape
Giratina-O SubCM
LOuberscizor
Defensive groundon
Scarfkyorgre
LOSDrayquaza
So yeah, if darkrai comes in mid-game (usually Primeape u-turns out) ape comes in and take the darkvoid/weak darkpulse (since primeape hasn't got any damage yet)
And btw: Wobbaffet IS counterable lol.
U-turn ghost U-turn ghost U-turn if it's a smart player,
U-turn U-turn U-turn if it's a dumb one who wants to encore you (Since I got where a wobba encored my primeape)

Unless he kills them with U-turn, and switches to Giratina-O or another ghost.
If he revenges something with Scarf CC, tell me, would he U-turn next turn?

We were referring to the viability of Primeape, not Scizor.

Everyone knows Scizor is pretty damn good.

If he revenges something with Scarf CC, tell me, would he U-turn next turn?

We were referring to the viability of Primeape, not Scizor.

Everyone knows Scizor is pretty damn good.
I was talking about Primeape actually, and I was quoting someone who was reffering to killing darkrai then switching to wobbuffet. I mentioned U-turn, because it's more than likely they'll switch out when they see Primeape. The average player will most likely U-Turn.

I was talking about Primeape actually, and I was quoting someone who was reffering to killing darkrai then switching to wobbuffet. I mentioned U-turn, because it's more than likely they'll switch out when they see Primeape. The average player will most likely U-Turn.
Yes, but CB Scizor/bulky Scizor handles Darkrai well enough. Why waste a team slot for a dedicated(albeit extremely fragile) counter when Scizor can beat shit like Mewtwo, Lati@s, Tyranitar, etc?

Yes, but CB Scizor/bulky Scizor handles Darkrai well enough. Why waste a team slot for a dedicated(albeit extremely fragile) counter when Scizor can beat shit like Mewtwo, Lati@s, Tyranitar, etc?
Primeape's power isn't in his STAB nor his attack. But in team work and prediction ;) U-turn helps also, and the fact that you can just double u-turn (Primeape > Scizor for almost any attack) and Primeape's got Vital spirit which works better against dark void, what is a counter when you're asleep?

Primeape's power isn't in his STAB nor his attack. But in team work and prediction ;) U-turn helps also, and the fact that you can just double u-turn (Primeape > Scizor for almost any attack) and Primeape's got Vital spirit which works better against dark void, what is a counter when you're asleep?
Darkrai will likely switch out in fear of CB Bullet Punch(doesn't OHKO but does enough to warrant a switch)or Lum Berry + U-Turn variants, but on top of that many teams use something like Choice Scarf Heracross / Garchomp / Dialga with Sleep Talk to absorb Dark Void.

Darkrai will likely switch out in fear of CB Bullet Punch(doesn't OHKO but does enough to warrant a switch)or Lum Berry + U-Turn variants, but on top of that many teams use something like Choice Scarf Heracross / Garchomp / Dialga with Sleep Talk to absorb Dark Void.
But scarfprimeape also revenges easily things like (6+) NPdarkrai, Diagla (With some damage taken and non-bulk up versions) and other weakened threats (I think it even outspeeds scarf palkia and kyorgre, not sure though)

But scarfprimeape also revenges easily things like (6+) NPdarkrai, Diagla (With some damage taken and non-bulk up versions) and other weakened threats (I think it even outspeeds scarf palkia and kyorgre, not sure though)
Yes, I understand that, however most Uber teams appreciate the support and resistances that Scizor provides more than sleep immunity. It is good on a few teams, but isn't tossed around as sparingly as Scizor, that is all I am saying.

It outspeeds scarf kyogre, not scarf palkia. Anyway, I've played against you a few times, and got a lot of set-up opportunities thanks to your primeape. U-turn is nice, but doesn't have much power

Yes, I understand that, however most Uber teams appreciate the support and resistances that Scizor provides more than sleep immunity. It is good on a few teams, but isn't tossed around as sparingly as Scizor, that is all I am saying.
I use both yeah,

It outspeeds scarf kyogre, not scarf palkia. Anyway, I've played against you a few times, and got a lot of set-up opportunities thanks to your primeape. U-turn is nice, but doesn't have much power
Could be true, that's the downside of primeape.

I'm getting a faint feeling that some of us Uber battlers like the Uber tier because we have shorter attention spans and the Uber metagame literally changes every couple hours depending on what kind of teams the few people on Ubers are playing.

I base this off the fact that I've played both General Empoleon and Maniacally Racist Yugioh on YVD. So yeah, not much evidence, I know. In fact, I just threw out the theory because I thought it was cool that I met up with 2 fellow Uber battlers on YVD.

In short PLAY MORE YUGIOH IF YOU'RE BORED GUYS!

j/k j/k

To tell you the truth, I haven't been playing much of either Yugioh or Pokemon now that college has started again. I'm gonna try and play Bowser's Inside Story before I start up on either again as well.

I'm getting a faint feeling that some of us Uber battlers like the Uber tier because we have shorter attention spans and the Uber metagame literally changes every couple hours depending on what kind of teams the few people on Ubers are playing.
Yeah I definitely do this kind of thing. Like this morning I was the only person on the ladder except for this guy with rain team with Ludi/Kingdra/Kyogre, so I just threw in a Groudon on one of my teams

Yeah I definitely do this kind of thing. Like this morning I was the only person on the ladder except for this guy with rain team with Ludi/Kingdra/Kyogre, so I just threw in a Groudon on one of my teams
Well, the ladder is full of leaderboarders and noobs. Those are the only 2 types of players on the ladder, which is why we need more ubers tutoring imo. This is the only reason I've stopped laddering.

Well, the ladder is full of leaderboarders and noobs. Those are the only 2 types of players on the ladder, which is why we need more ubers tutoring imo. This is the only reason I've stopped laddering.
Plenty of tutors are fluent in Ubers, it's just that many pupils do not desire tutoring in the metagame, which is a bit sad. As a result, many people come into Ubers with the idea that anything can work, and this leads to the agglomeration of noobs at the bottom of the ladder.

We need a new project Ubers (and what is YVD? It sounds like something I could get into) where leaderboarders teach newbies (not to be confused with noobs) the art of Ubers. Of course, along the way, we could try out UU/OU pokemon in Ubers, but the main goal would be to get more people into Ubers. I personally got into Ubers because when I first joined shoddy battle, I somehow felt that Gen. Empoleon was some kind of a god (hence my screen name), and just thought "I must play Ubers". Role models are good things to have when attracting new players. The Uber metagame deserves more than this. Anyone up for this?

P.S. *Primeape is usable, and fits on certain teams, get over it*

I think it could be cool, and at least worth a try. If it will stop people from using Psychic on Mewtwo, I'm all for it. As for my personal commitment...I'm not sure I could be a "role model" by any means, but I still could offer advice and help with teams and stuff.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
We need a new project Ubers (and what is YVD? It sounds like something I could get into) where leaderboarders teach newbies (not to be confused with noobs) the art of Ubers. Of course, along the way, we could try out UU/OU pokemon in Ubers, but the main goal would be to get more people into Ubers. I personally got into Ubers because when I first joined shoddy battle, I somehow felt that Gen. Empoleon was some kind of a god (hence my screen name), and just thought "I must play Ubers". Role models are good things to have when attracting new players. The Uber metagame deserves more than this. Anyone up for this?

Yu-Gi-Oh Virtual Desktop, which is a simulator for the YGO TCG. I don't really know how good it is though, since I never used it.

I would be willing to do that though.

Beating Gen_Empoleon actually caused me to play Ubers, and it was my first 1600 cre and seat on the leaderboard. Signing up for being a tutor is a good strategy, I'm trying to do that. I'm an Aop on the ubers irc chat, and it's quite hectic when we discuss something ubers related.

i really like what general empoleon has done for the uber metagame, popularizing it and being a "role model" to some people, but he's not THAT good people. beating him isn't that big of a deal. I don't mean to offend him or anything,its just there are plenty of better battlers

P.S. im retiring for now as engineering physics is kicking my asshole with hours and hours of work each night and i cant really fit in time for shoddy anymore :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)