Tyranitar

Anyone use Shed Shell to escape from Duggy? Shed Shell and Resttalk can work around with sun teams with Duggy and WoW Ninetales.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
He needs residual damage to nab the ohko though, so if you don't mind keeping a crippled tyranitar around for the rest of the match, you could tank an earthquake at full hp and ko him back with CB Stone Edge or any other physical non resisted attack.

if you're running ice beam over fire blast, skarm is going to wall you anyway. in fact, all steel pokemon are going to laugh off your special attacks.

they won't, however, laugh off focus punches. no one does.

what ohkos does quiet (ice beam) boah get that brave doesn't?
Actually, did you know that Ice Beam will do more against a physically defensive Skarmory than Focus Punch will when using the Quiet nature as well as the Brave nature? Skarmory is usually seen with that physically defensive set, so that's something to keep in mind. Also, note, Ice Beam isn't preferred over Fire Blast because of all the Steel-type Pokemon that can wall the set, as you said. Ice Beam should only be used if your team has general difficulties with Gliscor and maybe Landorus. Otherwise, Fire Blast should be used. I'm not sure what OHKOs TyraniBoah with a Quiet nature and Ice Beam gets that Brave doesn't, but you're assuming that Ice Beam is the move that should be used, when it isn't. Fire Blast has more benefits. Ice Beam is more based on what your team needs as a whole.

Necro bumpin'......

Anywho, Unnerve Tyranitar. I've been playing around with it. Here's why...

People use Terrakion in the Sun, so why not T-tar? Yeah, it's way slower (unless you run a Scarf), but more immediate power and bulk.

I'm not claiming Unerve is a good ability in Singles, but maybe T-tar not setting up sand can still be useful, and you wouldn't be limited to Heatran for setting up Stealth Rock on a Sun dependant team.

Discuss.......

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's the point of using Tyranitar we're making it lose one of its biggest selling points: the ability to summon sandstorm? On top of the list, without Sandstorm, Tyranitar would be a WAY less reliable counter to many OU threats (Latias and Latios especially) because it lacks that Special Defense boost. At the end of the day, the only reason why most are using Tyranitar is because of Sandstorm, especially in a tier where interrupting the flow of other weather teams is invaluable. If you're trying to use a Choice item + Pursuit guy, hell, you're better off using the more typing-suited Scizor. When sandstorm isn't present, there's something suspicious going on.

Also, your logic that using Terrakion in the sun is wrong IS incorrect. Terrakion can be used on a wide variety of teams, no matter which conditions it has to function in.

What's the point of using Tyranitar we're making it lose one of its biggest selling points: the ability to summon sandstorm? On top of the list, without Sandstorm, Tyranitar would be a WAY less reliable counter to many OU threats (Latias and Latios especially) because it lacks that Special Defense boost. At the end of the day, the only reason why most are using Tyranitar is because of Sandstorm, especially in a tier where interrupting the flow of other weather teams is invaluable. If you're trying to use a Choice item + Pursuit guy, hell, you're better off using the more typing-suited Scizor. When sandstorm isn't present, there's something suspicious going on.

Also, your logic that using Terrakion in the sun is wrong IS incorrect. Terrakion can be used on a wide variety of teams, no matter which conditions it has to function in.
I never said using Terrakion in the sun was wrong, I said why not use T-tar with Unnerve under the same principle.

And the Lati siblings still wouldn't be doing much to T-tar with or without Sand.

And in the Sun, T-tar will tank SE Surfs same as it always has.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Terrakion arguably packs more power - STAB Close Combat >> STAB Crunch.

Tyranitar is also slow and depends on its bulk to be as effective as it is now. That bulk is lost when it doesn't have Sandstream. With the sand up, Tyranitar can easily tank a +1 LO Draco Meteor (55-66% to 252 HP / 192+ TTar) and another one after the special drop. Although Sandstream may be an overall undesirable weather for the rest of your team, it's a MAJOR boon to Tyranitar.

I'd even say you would gain more use from Sand Force Hippowdon on your non-sand team than using Tension Tyranitar, lol :d

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
unnerve tyranitar is just bad lol. why would you take away an ability that is arguably a pokemon's best feature -- or certainly one of them at least -- and replace it with an ability that pretty much isn't even useful? berries are so rarely used that unnerve tyranitar seems like it isn't even worth the trouble. even if your team doesn't really benefit from sandstorm and you feel like you can go without it, the special defense boost that tyranitar gets from sandstorm allows it to tank pretty much every special hit under the sun bar focus blasts and extremely powerful water-type hits. i really can't think of any situation where it would be more appropriate to use unnerve ttar over a sand stream variant.

The only good Sand Stream TTar is a Mixed one. Totally catches its counters off guard (especially +1 Nite and Breloom).

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Specially Defensive mixed Tyranitar is horrible (what are we doing with it? It's trying to do so many roles at once that it's practically Hannah Montana).

On the topic, I do prefer this type of Tyranitar, which is similar to the BaitTar in the 4th generation analysis:

name: Mixed Bait
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Pursuit / Crunch
move 4: Thunder Wave / Ice Beam
item: Babiri Berry
nature: Hasty
EVs: 208 Atk / 60 SpA / 240 Spe

Tyranitar in a nutshell: outspeed Adamant Breloom, Skarmory, Scizor, and most others, and KO them with the appropriate move. Tyranitar can still fulfill it's duties as a Pursuit user, and once the opponent switches in a counter to Tyranitar (likely attempting to use it as setup bait), just do whatever depending on the situation (use an attack or cripple with Thunder Wave). To achieve a KO against Scizor, a Babiri Berry is used to reduce damage against Bullet Punch if your opponent is aware Tyranitar has a Fire-type attack.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I used that T-tar in fourth gen but with Superpower in the fourth slot. I never tried it in fourth gen after my miserable failure with DDTar, but it should be worth a shot.

Would Shuca berry be a good replacement for baibiri if you want to lure in offensive gliscor instead?

Has anyone tried earthquake on Tyranitar? Recently I've switched fire blast with earthquake and shifted the SpA EVs to attack on the standard mixed Tyranitar and its worked okay. Earthquake can nail Jirachi, Heatran and Tentacruel hard as well as hitting opposing T-tar and Terrakions (on the switch whithout having to resort to Superpower). Obviously you lose out on Skarm and Ferro but if your team can handle such threats its not a problem.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Earthquake vs Superpower is really a matter of preference. EQ has less power, but doesn't have the unfortunate side effect. From what I've seen, Tyranitar is usually Crunch+Rock STAB+Pursuit/ SR/ Special move+Superpower. Earthquake could easily fit into either the Superpower or the Pursuit/ SR/ Special attack slot.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You get the best out of Tyranitar from Team Preview alone.

I don't condone Pursuit + Crunch on the same set considering if Latios' is going for the 2HKO with Hidden Power [Fighting]; you're losing either way. Using three different attacks at least gives your Tyranitar mobility to find a safe switch-in and theoretically check more Pokemon.

If you're running Earthquake then you're best off using a full physical set because QuakeEdge appeals to Tyranitar's high Attack, so can you forgoe Ice Beam for EQ knowing you have STAB Stone Edge to fall back on; using something else with Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Ice] to deal with Gliscor /Hippowdon+Donphan switches. You can get away with reducing your Special Attack and run Fire Blast as it still 2HKOs the majority of Skarmory/Ferrothorn regardless.

Pursuit / Superpower with Ice Beam is another option that promotes wide coverage amongst the entire tier, but doesn't show signs of redundancy on your spread.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the idea of using Low Kick over Superpower is something I've tested a bit to fairly decent success. Because honestly, Superpower is there for coverage or a last-ditch effort to nab a KO, and why not use a fairly similar attack without the stat drops? Stone Edge is the better option for Pokemon like Scizor, and Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Terrakion, the Pokemon Superpower was designed to hit, will be taking similar, if not equal damage.

Superpower:
CB Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 92%HP - 109%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 62%HP - 73%HP

CB Tyranitar vs 4/0 Terrakion = 149%HP - 175%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 4/0 Terrakion = 99%HP - 117%HP

CB Tyranitar vs 252/0 Tyranitar = 100%HP - 118%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 252/0 Tyranitar = 67%HP - 79%HP

Low Kick:
CB Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 77%HP - 91%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 51%HP - 61%HP

Basically, because of Low Kick's mechanics, they do roughly the same amount of damage, bar against Ferrothorn, where the attack and defence drops will become noticeable, as CS Tyranitar may not even be guaranteed to 2HKO after one drop. Since the damage mechanics of Low Kick depend on the opponent Pokemon's weight, where I'll add that at the end of this post, it only seems reasonable, as it allows Tyranitar to stay in longer and do more damage over a longer period of time. Hell, the increased PP is a nice addition too. The only downside is against things like Lucario, Magnezone or Scrafty, where the base is 80, 100, or 60 respectively, whereas Superpower is 120. Seeing that those six (Ferro / Terrak / TTar / Luke / Mag / Scrafty) are all Superpower is really designed to hit, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered.

Low Kick:
<22lbs = 20 Base
>22 lbs, <55lbs = 40 Base
>55lbs, <110lbs = 60 Base
>110lbs, <220lbs = 80 Base
>220lbs, <440lbs = 100 Base
>440lbs = 120 Base

The main pokemon that I run on my team to counter Tyranitar is Terrakion. 99.9% of the Tyranitars that I face (The ones that are not Scarfed) are OHKO'd by Close Combat. However, this mostly works as a revenge kill, as switching Terrakion into Earthquake is suicide.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Which t-tar runs EQ, exactly? That has to be an endangered species right there, because i haven't seen one for a while.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Earthquake is 40 points short off of a super effective Superpower, so assuming they don't have a dedicated Ground -type like Landorus, it's best to assume that they "might" have EQ. Otherwise Tyranitar's role is asking it to counter Heatran's Lava Plume / Toxic and help deal with Jirachi; if your Earthquake hits after Iron Head, then you may as well've tried to go for the Fire Blast with the chance to burn Jirachi instead; whilst covering other Steel-type threats with it or Superpower.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the idea of using Low Kick over Superpower is something I've tested a bit to fairly decent success. Because honestly, Superpower is there for coverage or a last-ditch effort to nab a KO, and why not use a fairly similar attack without the stat drops? Stone Edge is the better option for Pokemon like Scizor, and Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Terrakion, the Pokemon Superpower was designed to hit, will be taking similar, if not equal damage.

Superpower:
CB Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 92%HP - 109%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 62%HP - 73%HP

Low Kick:
CB Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 77%HP - 91%HP
CS Tyranitar vs 252/88 Ferrothorn = 51%HP - 61%HP

Basically, because of Low Kick's mechanics, they do roughly the same amount of damage, bar against Ferrothorn, where the attack and defence drops will become noticeable, as CS Tyranitar may not even be guaranteed to 2HKO after one drop. Since the damage mechanics of Low Kick depend on the opponent Pokemon's weight, where I'll add that at the end of this post, it only seems reasonable, as it allows Tyranitar to stay in longer and do more damage over a longer period of time. Hell, the increased PP is a nice addition too. The only downside is against things like Lucario, Magnezone or Scrafty, where the base is 80, 100, or 60 respectively, whereas Superpower is 120. Seeing that those six (Ferro / Terrak / TTar / Luke / Mag / Scrafty) are all Superpower is really designed to hit, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered.

Low Kick:
<22lbs = 20 Base
>22 lbs, <55lbs = 40 Base
>55lbs, <110lbs = 60 Base
>110lbs, <220lbs = 80 Base
>220lbs, <440lbs = 100 Base
>440lbs = 120 Base
What if they switch from Ferrothorn to Rotom-W expecting say.. a Fire Blast? Run calcs on Low Kick vs. Rotom-W for me.

Superpower is CB/CS Tyranitar's way of reliably getting in a powerful hit because it's almost always immediately forced out anyway.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On DDTar, Earthquake offers far better coverage than Crunch does if you're running Ice Punch. The only downsides are that you lose against Celebi, Reuniclus and Jellicent (Gengar and Starmie are just barely outsped at +1 and presumably OHKO'd by Stone Edge) and a slight drop in power.

What if they switch from Ferrothorn to Rotom-W expecting say.. a Fire Blast? Run calcs on Low Kick vs. Rotom-W for me.

Superpower is CB/CS Tyranitar's way of reliably getting in a powerful hit because it's almost always immediately forced out anyway.
It's hitting 8%HP - 9%HP against Rotom-W, so you'd want to predict with the Stone Edge if all possible. Why would you suspect a Fire Blast on a Scarf set? I'm just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)