Unneeded things in pokemon!

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
wings

who actually takes the time to collect vast amounts of wings? I guess they're nice if you only need a couple more EV's, you already have the correct ones, and you really don't want to just battle another pokemon or two, but that's about it
I do. Lol. I honestly spent my speed training killing off Swannas and the Wings were and added bonus that after me spending a bit of time allowed me to, coupled with Join Avenue, EV train a couple mons in fifteen minutes only. I have roughly 200 of each wing right now, and it took me about four hours to collect, so it is actually useful.

Being unable to buy packs of Lemonade... Ugh.
Wasn't there a shop in Mt. Moon in Gold and Silver where the Clefairy's danced where you could buy Lemonades (and Waters and Sodas) in large quantities? But only during the day? Maybe I'm making stuff up.

Here's something unnecessary: Forms. Just make new pokemon, like Slowbro/Slowking, Poliwrath/Politoed.

Another: Text. Black and White had colossal amounts of text in them. And it was always the same. Every single conversation was the same. You needed one line to get a hint on what to do next, and the other 17 windows were Bianca, Cheren, Hugh, Burgh, Iris, etc. telling you how important human/pokemon friendships are, or N, Ghetsis, Plasma guys, Sages telling you how they are not important. Ironically, this is the largest paragraph in the comment.

Text. Black and White had colossal amounts of text in them. And it was always the same. Every single conversation was the same. You needed one line to get a hint on what to do next, and the other 17 windows were Bianca, Cheren, Hugh, Burgh, Iris, etc. telling you how important human/pokemon friendships are, or N, Ghetsis, Plasma guys, Sages telling you how they are not important. Ironically, this is the largest paragraph in the comment.
in fire emblem, you can skip a cutscene with the start button. they should do it in pokemon, too. that'd help people who don't want to read it (i do, personally, but eh)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Eh, I would have to disagree.

In many people's eyes, Gen V was good because of that immense story. Just going through the game on a linear path is not gonna be fun for anyone, someone would click start too quickly and skip a cutscene accidentally.

And there are like 5 cutscenes in the whole of pokemon as is.

In many people's eyes, Gen V was good because of that immense story. Just going through the game on a linear path is not gonna be fun for anyone, someone would click start too quickly and skip a cutscene accidentally.

some people really hate the text, though. it's that simple. they'd rather avoid it entirely, and they'd might as well be given the option.

there could also be a confirmation window if it's an issue of accidents. i'll admit, it's happened to me a few times.

okay, "conversations," then.

Actually, the Wings discussion reminded me of: the rewards for White Treehollow.

If you beat an easy level, you get a vitamin. Fair enough.
If you beat a hard level, you get… a wing! 1 wing. I'm wondering if they got those two backwards. (It'd be orders of magnitude faster to get wings by farming on Driftveil Drawbridge.)

Re the cutscene skip; recent Final Fantasy games do the skip via pausing the cutscene, then pressing an entirely different button while it's paused. That makes it pretty hard to skip by mistake.

Actually, the Wings discussion reminded me of: the rewards for White Treehollow.

If you beat an easy level, you get a vitamin. Fair enough.
If you beat a hard level, you get… a wing! 1 wing. I'm wondering if they got those two backwards. (It'd be orders of magnitude faster to get wings by farming on Driftveil Drawbridge.)

Re the cutscene skip; recent Final Fantasy games do the skip via pausing the cutscene, then pressing an entirely different button while it's paused. That makes it pretty hard to skip by mistake.
Well, you can use wings past the maximum number of vitamins.

Two words:

Odd Keystone

This was very annoying in DPPt, having to put this thing in the Hollowed Tower, talk to 32 people underground (it had to be 32 different people, or connect with a person, talk, disconnect, and then reconnect and repeat 31 more times) and all of this just for a Spiritomb. It's a cool Pokemon, but the whole process seems so tedious to me and doesn't seem to be worth it.
And this was removed in HGSS onward. So, is there any point in this item at all (other than selling it)?

Two words:

Odd Keystone

This was very annoying in DPPt, having to put this thing in the Hollowed Tower, talk to 32 people underground (it had to be 32 different people, or connect with a person, talk, disconnect, and then reconnect and repeat 31 more times) and all of this just for a Spiritomb. It's a cool Pokemon, but the whole process seems so tedious to me and doesn't seem to be worth it.
And this was removed in HGSS onward. So, is there any point in this item at all (other than selling it)?
In the same vein, calling Yancy like 30 times before anything can be traded. It could even be on the same day. You basically just end up running around Unova in circles until she finally offers to start trading

In the same vein, calling Yancy like 30 times before anything can be traded. It could even be on the same day. You basically just end up running around Unova in circles until she finally offers to start trading
Although that actually serves a purpose. If you don't have the previous games, she gives you loads of Pokemon previously inaccessible (the aforementioned Spiritomb being amongst them).

Of course, the Dream Radar 3DS app gives you Spiritombs as well.

Oh no don't get me wrong, the story was great, I just hated all of the 26 window conversations about being friends with pokemon over and over. Gold and Silver had a great plot, and they didn't repeat stuff in so many words. Maybe I just remember it differently, but the newer games just seem so much more text heavy.

One thing it really hurts is replay value. I play pokemon once for the entire experience, and then again to just have fun battling with different pokes. Blocks of text is going to hurt my chances to play that game again, which is some people's decision between buying and just borrowing.

Two words:

Odd Keystone

You can just enter and exit your secret base (with the "close door and decorate" option) and talk to the same person in-between 32 times.

Although that actually serves a purpose. If you don't have the previous games, she gives you loads of Pokemon previously inaccessible (the aforementioned Spiritomb being amongst them).

Of course, the Dream Radar 3DS app gives you Spiritombs as well.
but why 30 times?

Why not just make her available to trade after you beat the elite four or do some other side-quest? Or not make it so you have to travel to at least thirty locations and call her at least thirty times to hear thirty little facts about her? Was ten just too few to establish the kind of 'relationship' gamefreak was looking for? I don't think so. . .

The 30 conversations make it more natural that he'd trust you enough to trade his special pokemon for virtually trash, he starts to get a crush on you and lets you stomp all over him, little does he know you're actually a guy and just don't want to go through an hour of running for Yancys inferior pokemon

Maybe they aren't useless, but I've always found incenses really weird and annoying

Why can't Snorlax's just always breed Munchlax's? Or Mr. Mime just always breed Mime Jr.? That would make a lot more sense than needing to give your Pokemon an item in my opinion. . .

Why can't Snorlax's just always breed Munchlax's? Or Mr. Mime just always breed Mime Jr.? That would make a lot more sense than needing to give your Pokemon an item in my opinion. . .
Consistency with previous generations. Its the same reason for the moss rock.
"Just give Eevee a leaf stone!"
"But... its not working."
"Oh, well that's Ruby version. It only works in Diamond Version."
"That's dumb."
"You're dumb."

In truth it's probably not dumb. I'd prefer they just ignore inconsistencies with what could be done in past games and just do what makes more sense now.

HM's

I hate having to waste a precious moveslot on crappy moves like Rock Smash and Rock Climb. Carrying around an HM slave is annoying also. They should definitely use items in Gen VI that you collect over the course of a game to get past boulders or surf waters instead of HMs...

Consistency with previous generations. Its the same reason for the moss rock.
"Just give Eevee a leaf stone!"
"But... its not working."
"Oh, well that's Ruby version. It only works in Diamond Version."
"That's dumb."
"You're dumb."

In truth it's probably not dumb. I'd prefer they just ignore inconsistencies with what could be done in past games and just do what makes more sense now.
Yeah, I would actually prefer it if they retconned new evolutions methods for old pokemon. Pretty much just because there's loads of incenses now, and we'll just keep getting more for new prevos.

HM's

I hate having to waste a precious moveslot on crappy moves like Rock Smash and Rock Climb. Carrying around an HM slave is annoying also. They should definitely use items in Gen VI that you collect over the course of a game to get past boulders or surf waters instead of HMs...
What if they were changed to be slightly better?
Here's How I'd handle it:

Cut: Steel, Physical, 70BP/90Acc, 10% chance to lower opponent's defense one stage.

Fly, Dive, Waterfall and Surf are fine.

Strength: Fighting, Physical, 70BP/90 acc, 10% chance to raise own attack 1 stage.

Rock Smash: Fighting, Physical, 60BP/100acc, removes Stealth Rocks on your side of the field.

Defog: Flying, other, --/--, removes current weather

So there are still better options, but in game you're not at a total handicap.

Vine Whip's PP pisses me off. Your Bulbasaur's first STAB move only has 10 PP, on a level with things like Earthquake. Why. It's a terrible move, and why can't it just learn Razor Leaf anyway? In fact, the whole move is unneeded. Makes me so angry.

IVs. pokemon is all about the bond you share with your pokemon friends, and overcoming obstacles with them. why is it, then, that even if i get a good nature, the ones i completed the game with will be trash or at least inferior to the ones with the almost-impossible-to-get-if-playing-as-intended perfect ivs?
Pretty late but oh well.
You're an idiot. For one removing the IV/EV system would make pokemon a very dull game. All pokemon of the same species would be virtually the same across the board.
Blending real world ethics into a children's video game never works.

Pretty late but oh well.
You're an idiot. For one removing the IV/EV system would make pokemon a very dull game. All pokemon of the same species would be virtually the same across the board.
Blending real world ethics into a children's video game never works.
i didn't mention the ev system at all. why? because it's useful. i can use that with any pokemon, and it will actually help me in the long run. i can make my dragonite a tank, or a wall. i can make my jellicent physically or specially bulky. i can make my excadrill pick up the speed or pick up the power. there are uses behind it, and two pokes that are used by casuals are unlikely to be exactly the same on account of fighting different opponents and having different natures, thus keeping differentiation alive.

ivs are almost always wanted to be perfect - the main exception is hidden powers. there is no point in differentiation, as, aside from rare exceptions, perfection is needed, and they will always be inferior. a bulky phaser dragonite and a choice band dragonite are not inferior to one another necessarily. they perform completely different roles. a 21/14/3/0/7/15 dragonite, however, will always be inferior to one with perfect stats, assuming that they are identical in every other way.

oh? black and white disagree with you. that was full of questions including real-world ethics.

IV's have been in the game since gen 1.

The current EV system as well as natures have only been in since gen 3.

If either were to go, it would be the one that had not been a part of the game since the beginning.

i didn't mention the ev system at all. why? because it's useful. i can use that with any pokemon, and it will actually help me in the long run. i can make my dragonite a tank, or a wall. i can make my jellicent physically or specially bulky. i can make my excadrill pick up the speed or pick up the power. there are uses behind it, and two pokes that are used by casuals are unlikely to be exactly the same on account of fighting different opponents and having different natures, thus keeping differentiation alive.

ivs are almost always wanted to be perfect - the main exception is hidden powers. there is no point in differentiation, as, aside from rare exceptions, perfection is needed, and they will always be inferior. a bulky phaser dragonite and a choice band dragonite are not inferior to one another necessarily. they perform completely different roles. a 21/14/3/0/7/15 dragonite, however, will always be inferior to one with perfect stats, assuming that they are identical in every other way.

oh? black and white disagree with you. that was full of questions including real-world ethics.
There is more customization available when IVs are included. This makes every pokemon different, no matter if they are from the same species or not, which would fit in with your absolutely ridiculous ideals about moral driven pokemon play.

And get over yourself, pokemon is a video game. why would apply ethics to a video game? You can't bond with your game cart.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Two words:

Odd Keystone

They removed this feature because I think there were a lot of complaints on the ridiculous way to get Spiritomb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)