US Last Chance Qualifier - Indianapolis, IN - June 25th, 2010 - WON BY GODUDETTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there a Texas carpool yet. I may be able to pull some strings and be able to come if I can carpool. I am willing to help pay.
werecario i woulda loved to meet you men. but i thaught you werent going so someone plz carpool this guy so i can meet him.

I have a question - what are those that are competing in LCQ/watching from the sidelines going to do after you're all done? Stick around the convention center?

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd imagine it'll be a spur of the moment thing once the tournament's over. A lot of people will leave to go get lunch, then either come back to watch the later rounds of juniors or go see Indianapolis..

well it looks like I might be going after all! i'm giving a work shift to a friend that day so there's a very high probability I'm going to be attending this LCQ. :]

I have a question - what are those that are competing in LCQ/watching from the sidelines going to do after you're all done? Stick around the convention center?
IT'S NATIONALS!
you meet people, watch the TCG matches, play in side events, get free stuff!
Every year at worlds and nationals, there is open league play - you find a person to play with, come tell them who won - the winner gets first choice of 2 random prizes and the loser of the match gets the leftover prize. It is an AWESOME way to get free TCG cards, playmats, hats, shirts, whole theme decks, and tons more!!! Last year there was a prize card saying "You win a date with Mike Liesik" - and it floated around the convention center as a joke.

If you want to have a Video game side-tournament, just ask the guy at the side event table to please start one - and he will start one and announce it over the speakers. You can keep having side tournaments all day and getting free stuff, or just do league play and try your hand at random prizes.

Here is a list of stuff going on aside from the official main and side events:

BTW - this first one is being ran by a member of TPCI (Exobyte) who is doing the tournament for R&D reasons:
As a continuation of the last experiment, I will be running at least one special side event at US Nationals. This will be the Platinum Series Challenge. This will be a constructed deck tournament, with legal sets being only those from the Platinum series (Platinum through Platinum: Arceus) being legal. 60 cards, 4 of each card, etc.

Information:

1. First event will begin reg Saturday @ 11:30 am.
  2. The current plan is 32 masters and 32 JR/SR in age modified swiss. (this will increase if there is big demand)
  3. We will start when the event is full, or at 12:30pm, whichever is first.
  4. This event is _non sanctioned_ (No ratings points)
  5. This event will run at DOUBLE the standard side event prize schedule, and will include bonus prizes of things i'll dig up around the office

As this is a special event, I'll make adjustments as needed to keep things moving (changing the number of registrants in age groups, etc.)

PLEASE post here with any comments on this. Rules questions, etc. Tell your friends and have them post here as well. If you are fairly certain you will play in this event, make a post to that effect w/ your age division, like:

Annual Pokegym Mutant Booster Draft @ US Nationals Sat. 6/26

Chrisbo, BDS, Eeveelover, Christine, Ronae. Dwayne and others will be running and helping with the event.

Most of you know the drill...

WHERE: Currently it will be in the open gaming room, This could change if we do not have access to the area, if there is a change we will post it here and post it at Nats. ( We have a back up location, no worries!)
BUILD DECK TIME: approx. 10pm (you will have half hour to build your deck)
START TIME: approx. 10:30pm

**YES ITS SWISS style!! Some details: We will have 5 rounds, Free Pokemon Raffles in Round 5! More details to follow!

Entry fee: 6 packs of any set of Pokemon, yes ANY! or the cash to buy 6 packs from us which will be $20.00. I am not sure yet what boosters we will have but as we get closer to the event we will post that info here.
Remember: Please bring cash or 6 packs of Pokemon cards, as we cannot accept credit/debit cards or checks. There may be ATM machines there.

Please PM any of us if you have any questions, We will be adding more info to this post, so please keep an eye on things.

As for the rules....Pokepop and Chrisbo can post them here, please!

Taken from a previous post from Pokepop:

For those that don't know how Mutant Draft works:
You give in your six packs of whatever set(s) or $20 entry fee.

You're not going to play with the packs you bring or buy.
They all go into a big kitty and then we randomly distribute them.
You will get 6 packs back from all different sets.
Actually, not randomly. We spread out the packs so you will probably get packs from 6 different sets.
Because of the late hour, we will play sealed (you get 6 random packs and build a deck from them).

How to build a deck from random packs??
Well, evolutions can happen one of two ways:
1. A normal evolution. Psychic Ralts from RS can evolve into Fire Kirlia from DF.
2. Any Pokemon of a type can evolve into the next stage of that same type.
example:
Play Baby Magby(Fire Type).
Evolve into Moltres ex
Evolve that into Charmeleon
Evolve that into Charizard(hey, a normal evolution!)
Level up that into Infernape Lv. X

Got it?
Also, while we can't promise exactly what the prizes are going to be this year, in years past players can vouch that they were impressive!

All ages are welcome!!
This one is being held the the 2-time World champion, Jason Klaczynski.

I had an idea and I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in doing it. Anyone remember the first few rounds of the Fan Appreciation Tournament at GenCon back in 2003? Each player got a theme deck and (I believe) a few booster packs to construct a deck with. I was wondering if anyone would ever be interested in doing a tournament like this with rare Shadowless Base Boosters & Theme Decks.

I recently ordered a sealed box of shadowless Base Theme Decks (the first print run of the theme decks). The box is sealed and I have eight decks, so we could do an 8 person tournament. I also plan on buying a shadowless Base Booster box. However, these packs & decks are rare collectors items, so they aren't cheap. I paid $50/deck and shadowless boosters go for around $25, meaning it would probably cost around $150 per person to do a Theme Deck+4 Booster Pack tournament. I was wondering if anyone else was interested in doing it. It would be pretty cool to open some of the original base set boosters!
This one is a great one to play in - as it is benefiting charity! Being ran by one of the vendors at nationals:

***Attention Pokemon Players & Professors!***

Here's some information for the charity Pokemon event that we will be running at Nationals. We hope to see everyone there!

When: Friday June 25, 2010 at 8pm
Where: TBA (we are hoping to run this event in the main convention hall pending approval from Pokemon)
Entry Fee: 2 packaged or canned foods
Prizes: 200 Pokemon booster packs + player donations
Format: 30-card constructed decks with Platinum through HS Unleashed cards only. This is the same format as the Sunday Professor Cup tournament so Professors, come get some good practice before your Sunday Cup tourney! :smile:

Team Cache
CollectorsCache.com
There you go - PLENTY of poke-stuff to do while at nationals.

~ulti
Hope that is enough for you!

Thanks haha, was just wondering what VGC players might do. I'll be sure to check out the TCG side events too and hang out with my TCG friends.

Thanks haha, was just wondering what VGC players might do. I'll be sure to check out the TCG side events too and hang out with my TCG friends.
Strictly VGC events? Leagues (free play w/prizes) and side tounaments.
If there is no open VGC side tournaments, go to the side event table and ask for them to make a new VCG side tournament.

So quick question, I'm going to Nationals but I've never been to Indianapolis before, I was wondering if anybody knew of interesting places or good bars to go check out after the tournament?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Just google maps and search "nearby locations" with key words like bars, restaurants, etc.

I am going to Indy for the LCQ, will be sticking around through the 27th regardless if I make top 16 or not, just to hang with all my smogon friends that I am more than excited to meet. Reading this thread makes me so pumped up, this is going to be a bitchin' weekend.

:DDDDD

andrea

/me cresselias
Just google maps and search "nearby locations" with key words like bars, restaurants, etc.

I am going to Indy for the LCQ, will be sticking around through the 27th regardless if I make top 16 or not, just to hang with all my smogon friends that I am more than excited to meet. Reading this thread makes me so pumped up, this is going to be a bitchin' weekend.

^^^^^ Ohmygosh I absolutely CANNOT WAIT for Thursday. Dubulous and I and others will be staying at Candlewood Suites on Thursday night then are moving into the Marriott Downtown for Fri-Sat-Sun. My sole goal at this point is to get past round 1- anything more than that and I'll be amazed at myself, though top 16 would be nice.

I will have a camera, and I will be taking a whooooooole bunch of pictures. If you see me, please say hi!!!!!!!! I'm easy to find~ short chick with the long blonde hair. I promise I don't bite. ^_^

Like the others, I plan to stick around regardless of how I place on Friday (though I do hope to make top 16 and be able to play on Saturday/Sunday) to hang out with the Smogon crew and support the members who do make it. I fully expect another all-Smogon final like last year =)

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I also plan on taking many pictures! man oh man I can't even express how awesome this will be.

^ haha, who's going to update Smogon on VGC updates xD

I should be at the convention center after LCQ for Seniors is over to hang out with some TCG friends and check out the place - say hi if you see me! I'll be the short asian with the 08 VGS Hat + Worlds Shirt and a blue North Face Bookbag. And yes, I'll be taking photos like crazy as well. Hope to meet all of you on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Goddamn IRC is going to be dead this weekend.
If I can get wifi for free at the convention center I'll probably do some updating via IRC on Friday. I'll be busy on Saturday, obviously... although I do have my phone :P

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
^^^^^ Ohmygosh I absolutely CANNOT WAIT for Thursday. Dubulous and I and others will be staying at Candlewood Suites on Thursday night then are moving into the Marriott Downtown for Fri-Sat-Sun. My sole goal at this point is to get past round 1- anything more than that and I'll be amazed at myself, though top 16 would be nice.

I will have a camera, and I will be taking a whooooooole bunch of pictures. If you see me, please say hi!!!!!!!! I'm easy to find~ short chick with the long blonde hair. I promise I don't bite. ^_^

heck yeah just 4 more days and i will be touching down in indianapolis. i too will be taking lots of pictures and will be there from friday till sunday. cant wait, i havent really planed anything so its gonna have to be random/on the spot but it should still be a fun weekend. watch for me, here is a picture of what i will be wearing EXACTLY
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70316&page=6
scroll down and just look for my username :)

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I actually just downloaded IRC onto my phone last night (during work, what a life saver ((i'm a bad person))) so I can definitely assist in live updates as they come!

if anyone needs a ride, I'll be driving from wisconsin, down through chicago and straight to indianapolis. we have a seat so if you're anywhere between there my friends and I may be able to help out.

I am going with a couple friends, so if you see 3 guys in suits... Come over and say hey! I'd love to get to know all of you! Psyched and ready to see how this tough competition is going to pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)