1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

You've listed five Pokemon, if you mean who should lead it off with then my only answer would be that you shouldn't have a set lead as situations may arise where your lead pair would be unable to effectivky hit your opponents team, so you need to be able to think on your feet to attempt to counter your opponents team as fully as possible. Sorry if that wasn't the answer you wanted, but it is the truth of the matter, that said hitmontop has nice synergy with thundurus, rotom-wash, and latios.
  2. Tenodera

Tenodera

My Naive Latios (from GTS since I cannot catch my own...) was OHKOd by a Cresselia's Ice Beam. Is there a more offensive Cress set going around the Doubles environment, or did I just experience the consequences of Naive?
  3. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

A bit of both. Offensive Cress has become increasingly popular since Worlds.
  4. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

That isn't possible without the use of items:
    Calc for max SpA cresselia against 0HP/SpD EV/IV (open)
    252SpAtk lvl 50 Cresselia (+SAtk) Ice Beam vs 0HP/0SpDef Levitate lvl 50 Latios (-SpDef): 70% - 82% (98 - 116 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

The only possibility is that the cresselia was specs, or Ice gem latios can live any other ice beam.
  5. Tenodera

Tenodera

I saved the battle, just checked and realized I missed the Fake Out damage that made up for that amount. Thanks for being thorough and calculating it!
    In the future I'll make sure to pay more attention before I ask a question.
  6. Darian Tyros

Darian Tyros

'Sup guys. Got a pretty important question here. Lately I've been generating Pokemon via the online Pokesav and sending them over GTS to my games. I build them to perfectly legal specifications and only give them the amount of 31's that I know I can breed myself via past experience (usually 3). I roll the remaining stats via an online dice roller.

I do this because my free time is at an all time minimum lately, but anyway, my question is this - I want to enter the VGC coming up. Provided I build these Pokemon to perfect specifications, will they pass the checks?
  7. ultimatedra

ultimatedra

Not likely - they will check your PID, trash bytes, etc. and you will get disqualified if you have any hacked pokemon - even if they may look legal.
    Just use the links in this thread if you can't be bothered breeding your own pokemon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642
  8. Darian Tyros

Darian Tyros

Understood, thanks for the info. I assume they don't check as thoroughly bringing these Pokemon online, huh? Because I can get any of these onto the Wifi.
  9. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

10. hathater

hathater

if you had a crit on a eviolite pokemon, will it cancel out the eviolite boost?
  11. coyotes

coyotes

Hello! I'm looking forward to heading to the spring regionals in my area in a few weeks, but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find on the site or under the rules and guidlines post on these forums.

What time (EST) does the tournament start? Or rather, what time should I be there to avoid a long wait in line or such?

I don't know if this is allowed considering talking about hacks isn't allowed, but what is the hack checking progress like and what is the procedure? I'm just curious if it would be like the procedure for random matchup or if they scan your game card or what. Nobody ever talks about it so.
  12. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Welcome to Smogon!

Pokemon.com will post the time, hopefully more than before a week of the event date which is April 14th. You should probably get there 30-60min before registration starts. Good luck!
  13. hoult66

hoult66

Why doesn't Smogon have a get your VGC 2013 Pokemon thread?
    PS: Does anybody have ANY word on European dates?
    Thx
  14. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

The trade threads for 2012 vgc's are still applicable in 2013.

No word whatsoever for european vgc's so far...
  15. coyotes

coyotes

Oh gosh sorry, I must've overlooked that. My apologies!

I'll be sure to check there regularly. Thanks for the help and also thank you for the warm welcome!
  16. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Everybody gets hack checked before R1. They have a machine that checks. Don't hack. Don't use Pokemon you aren't sure of.
  17. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

No, crits only ignore attack drops and defence raises, through the use of moves like bulk up, calm mind, cosmic power, etc.
  18. AudaciousAedz

AudaciousAedz

I'm new to the whole organised play thing, did pretty well in the 2 recent wifi international challenges... So yeah see the Birmingham UK VGC event in June? Can I just turn up or do I have to register or what? I'm confused, the official site is puzzling me. Got my player ID and all.
  19. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Most venues allow you to pre-register to avoid having to wait in a long line (that option will likely become available closer to the event date), but you can just show up on the day of the tournament and you will still be able to participate.
  20. Gogeta

Gogeta

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered, but the thread is a little long to check.

Me and some friends are interested in going to the Birmingham tournament not to play, but to just check out the competitive scene and maybe enter next year. Does VGC offer spectator options, or do you have to be a competitor to enter? Also if there is, are there any visitor attractions, like stalls and other things you'd see at conventions?
  21. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

You are not allowed to compete but you may enter as a spectator, because parents do it all the time. Generally players get annoyed when you look at their battles over shoulder mainly because they might think you are learning their strategies/movesets. Some players don't care though.

At VGC'11 they had a display of Pokedex 3D, but at more recent events all I see is kiosks, and just talking to people.
  22. hathater

hathater

do you need a pokemon play! account to join a vgc?
  23. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

No, but that's how they give you championship points. I have never shown up for a VGC without one though, and it is strongly recommended that you have a trainer club account when attending an event.
  24. tlyee61

tlyee61

try and enter! even if you are just playing casually, they don;t have many TVs anymore and you'll have a much better experience by playing people! also, I don't know if they're having a different format next year, but my guess is yes because they have had the same format for 2 years now. at most regionals, they do have 1-2 shops that sell (EXTREMELY OVERPRICED) good, sometimes imported from Japan. at the NorCal regional, they also had some booth with Pokedex 3D where you could get a picture with your team / some other Pokemon. Lastly, they were giving away a "battle-ready" Vulpix with some good IVs and I think they're giving away some Cloyster that's idetical to the Juniors World Champion too. (although it had HP Grass, but this Cloyster you have to RNG to make HP Grass, as it comes with random IVs)
  25. Blaze123

Blaze123

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)