Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
One impor
More on less talked megas.

Gardevoir though more offensively weak then a normal item can still become and offensive power house if it gets a good switch in to a fighting/psy/dragon pokemon to calm mind and attack making use of the 100 speed on the next turn.

Even with weather nerfs Charizard Y can still be useful in weather teams as it acts like a better Ninetales starter as it to can also know Solar Beam. Worst case scenario Charizard can still be switched out and the Drought can set up Venasaur.

If Blastoise Mega Launcher (50% more damage) boosts Hydro Pump and learns Dragon Pulse/Aura Sphere we could see it as well.

Abomasnow losing leftovers and trading away 30 speed for 130 more stats in other areas give it great bulk and power to do a better job at what it already does: Sub Seed and Mixed Attacker.

On an unrelated note you would think M Absol would gain flying or fairy with how it seems to gain wings.
The thing is, Charizard still takes 50% from rocks because it isnt mega-evolved when it comes in.

I think that every mega will have a niche. Have we seen any megas that are terrible? Mega mawile will be a great pivot between intimidate and resists/immunities and access to baton pass. Blaziken and lucario will be good but will still struggle against jellicent (esp eith lucario assuming cc espeed bp and protect/sub etc.) Aerodactyl can be a great anti lead now. Its speed and attack are much better and is faster than every other mega (barring blaziken after speed boost). It can smack around the other megaz thanks to its access to edgequake.
Megaabsol and mega pinsir are very interesting. Both have access to great coverage and have great abilities (aerialite can give return a recoil free stab move like doubld edge but loses power).
im also excitrd for kanghaskan which can play mind games. Scrappy fake out can throw ghosts off balance. Access to sucker punch power up punch and drain punch gives it many options. While it may not be ou it will be solid uu imo.
lets all just be happy that ambipom didnt get a mega evo lol

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The advantage to using Mega-Charizard-Y over ninetales is, I think, disregarding stealth rock, Charizard is a much better pokemon than Ninetales. If you pair Mega-Charizard-Y with a magic bounce user or even a good rapid spinner, which sun teams should be running anyways because they are pretty weak to SR, Mega-Charizard-Y can outclass Ninetales.
There's no way you're going to make 5 turns of drought (~3-4 if you account for Charizard switching out) work. I think we can safely assume that BW-style sun teams are dead. They need more than 8 turns to function.

Charizard X will probably be better than Y. Doesn't mean Y is bad though as it can work as a really good sweeper with the sun up while it cleans actually a lot, plus no health decrease from Life Orb/Drought. Rocks need to get off the field though unless youre certain you can maximize zards power with 50% or less health. Also some mindgames are possible since people will probably expect the X evolution and be surprised a bit with Y.
Mewtwo Y will be sexy in ubers unless you want to use Mega Gengar on your team instead. Pretty sure gengar will be uber now.
The thing is, Charizard still takes 50% from rocks because it isnt mega-evolved when it comes in.
You can lead with Charizard holding a stone and evolve it right away to avoid possible rocks.
I believe Mega Banette is being overlooked too easily.
While its stat distribution is not optimal and its only usable STAB is the mediocre Shadow Claw, access to Prankster and a plethora or downright evil status moves that the other common Pranksters don't get is more than enough to justify its use.
Prankster Thunder Wave, Taunt, Will-o-Wisp, Disable and Destiny Bond are extremely powerful tools that can stop any kind of sweeper in its tracks.
Its only real competition is Sableye, who has Recover and can hold other items but its stats are far worse and lacks Destiny Bond and Thunder Wave.
Yeah, Banette is going to be really nice but it depends on its stats. The ones on the gameFAQ boards are apparently not legitimate unless theres somewhere else thats getting these

whens mega galvantula

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
There's no way you're going to make 5 turns of drought (~3-4 if you account for Charizard switching out) work. I think we can safely assume that BW-style sun teams are dead. They need more than 8 turns to function.
But here's the cool thing that could work. You could run some offensive invesment and go giga drain sludge bomb leech seed and sleep powder on venusaur so that when the sun ends and the fun is done, you could just mega-evolve and strengthen your defensive core for the rest of the game. The opposing player will probably think you're just running an offensive set and he's safe when the sun fades. This idea is probably a little farfetch'd, but I think it could work

But here's the cool thing that could work. You could run some offensive invesment and go giga drain sludge bomb leech seed and sleep powder on venusaur so that when the sun ends and the fun is done, you could just mega-evolve and strengthen your defensive core for the rest of the game. The opposing player will probably think you're just running an offensive set and he's safe when the sun fades. This idea is probably a little farfetch'd, but I think it could work
>Mega Charizard and Mega Venusaur on the same team.

Uh, there's a fundamental problem here...

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I agree with PK Gaming, old BW Sun teams are dead, as a matter fact, rain also is due to the sheer amount of weather abusers generic rain teams have. Eh, on the subject of Mega Zard Y, i find him as a destructive force with nothing to switch into bar: blissey, chansey, specially defensive politoed, and, well thats it.

Mega Zard Y can fill in a space that ninetales cannot: a wallbreaker, literally no offensive team can switch into a drought boosted 150+ (i dont know the exact stats for Charizard Y) Fire Blast, you can then kill him (which is probably going to cost more than we're giving tha bulk credit for), and then a simple non-set up chlrophyll sweeper can come in to wreck havoc. This is obviously assuming no rocks are up and Charizard comes in on something threatened by it, but you get the idea, i think charizard Y, even with the rocks weakness, can bring easy momentum to the table, something ninetales cannot do consistently and we know it, and create a new archetype for sun teams this generation.

CTC umm, the OP said Mega Gengar might be viable, and that Mega Blaziken is meh, this, btch plz.

Most of these comments say "it's not worth using your mega slot for this pokemon", so which ones are worth using again? Lucario, Blaziken and Gengar? That's it?
It will definitely depend on the team, I think it's a little silly to say that it's not worth using your mega slot on a certain pokemon because they all fulfill different roles and sometimes only one of the mega mons will be valuable for your team, even if it's not one of the generally strongest.

Just saying it cold cut. There will most likely be a different tier of pokemon to use in the future. With the new Mega Evolutions we are dealing with a different level of absolute power that'd be too much for OU. I was always a supporter of this idea. A tier that isn't an Uber but can destroy OU at the same time.

Course, we don't know until everything about the game has been collected. My vote is that Mega Gengar is gonna kill everything. owo

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I find Mega Banette to be "uneconomical" choice. If I need a Prankster user I would use Thundurus and save my Mega Evolution for something more lethal. There's just too many good Ghost-types (Mega Gengar, Aegislash, Jellicent) and Mega Pokemon that push Bannette out of contention. Lack of good physical movepool other than Phantom Force / Sucker Punch / Shadow Claw doesn't help either

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The lack of any mention of Mega Charizard Y saddens me. Yes, X got Fire/Dragon and a boost to contact moves and Y is still 4x weak to Stealth Rock. But just because weather abilities got nerfed doesn't mean weather isn't a viable playstyle, and in Gen V weather abilities sent two NU Pokemon to the point of being OU stars. MegaZard Y, despite his SR weakness, could be used and used well in any tier below wherever Ninetales ends up.
There's a crap ton of reasons why this won't be a thing.
1.) 'Zard Y can't hold the Heat Rock to increase the time the Sun's out.
2.) Horribly dependent on Spinner Support, since he NEEDS to switch out and back in again to reset his weather if he doesn't carry Sunny Day.
3.) If 'Zard Y carries Sunny Day, your opponent either gets a free switch while you set up your weather again or just kills him outright (craptastic defenses and all that).
4.) 'Zard only gets STABs, Focus Blast, SolarBeam, and Hidden Power for his special movepool, and he NEEDS Focus Blast or T-Tar/Heatran switch in and go lol (assuming OU).
5.) If Zard Y ends up in the same tier as Politoed and/or Ninetales, he's going to get major competition from them for a spot on a team, and both of them have better movepools and can actually take a hit (plus Politoed switching in just screws you over).
6.) It's fucking Charizard

Last edited:
There's a crap ton of reasons why this
5.) If Zard Y ends up in the same tier as Politoed and/or Ninetales, he's going to get major competition from them for a spot on a team, and both of them have better movepools and can actually take a hit (plus Politoed switching in just screws you over).
Why in the world wouldn't you have both Ninetails and MegaCharizardY on the same team? Sure, Ninetails can set up longer weather, but MegaCharizardY can come in on some other weather setter, Mega Evolve, and wreck things, preserving momentum for the team.

Lets be real here, even if Mega-Charizards are terrible, they will be OU for some time because they are Charizard.

It seems now that there seems to be the assumption that all kinds of teams will likely run a Mega-Evolution. So what Pokemon will stall (or at the least attempted stall) should / will run? ATM I am thinking mega-Aggron because of it's shear defense, although other Pokemon may work because of their speed / power to check things, or perhaps make a semi-stall team and run one as a sweeper.

Any thoughts for Megas on stall?

Just saying it cold cut. There will most likely be a different tier of pokemon to use in the future. With the new Mega Evolutions we are dealing with a different level of absolute power that'd be too much for OU. I was always a supporter of this idea. A tier that isn't an Uber but can destroy OU at the same time.

Course, we don't know until everything about the game has been collected. My vote is that Mega Gengar is gonna kill everything. owo
OU is the main nonUbers tier, though. If it doesn't work in that highest tier, then it gets booted up to the highest bantier in Ubers. Of course, that doesn't mean the general quality of OU isn't going to shoot through the roof.

EDIT: Stall would love Mega Aggron, it has amazing defenses and a monoSteel type that makes it EXTREMELY hard to kill. I could see an argument for Tyranitar or possibly (POSSIBLY) Gardevoir as well, though.

And the problem is that the Zards ARE good. Not the best Megas, but they can be very powerful if used correctly, and unlike, say, Abomasnow and Manectric, it doesn't take much to use them correctly (keep SR away, paralyse their fast things, kill or neuter the bulky water)

Lets be real here, even if Mega-Charizards are terrible, they will be OU for some time because they are Charizard.

It seems now that there seems to be the assumption that all kinds of teams will likely run a Mega-Evolution. So what Pokemon will stall (or at the least attempted stall) should / will run? ATM I am thinking mega-Aggron because of it's shear defense, although other Pokemon may work because of their speed / power to check things, or perhaps make a semi-stall team and run one as a sweeper.

Any thoughts for Megas on stall?
I wouldn't count on it. A lot of these pokemon seem to be heavy hitters. Even MegaMawile has Huge Power which is an amazing bonus, sending Mawile's base Atk. Stat to a blistering 170 Atk! Plus the fact that MegaMawile has been reported to have an increase in both Defense and Special Defense means that Mawile is turned from Niche NU Support pokemon to a tank that puts Metagross to shame.

There are a few others. MegaAbsol could work like a Psuedo Xatu based on it's ability but it's main priority is to sweep. MegaVenusaur could be fun to play around with Thick Fat but again. It's main goals for most of these Mega pokemon is to cause as much damage as possible. So most likely, we will see a drop in stall.

But some of them (the aforementioned Venusaur, Abomasnow, Aggron) are good fits to a stalling attitude. With that and Sticky Web, who knows, we may see a resurgence in Stall.

But there are already pokemon that are strong enough to hit them back harder. We have MegaBlaziken, Absol, Garchomp, Houndoom, Scizor, Heracross, etc. All of these things threaten aforementioned pokemon with a move of their choice that is provided by all of their decent movepools. (Blaziken to HJK/Flare Blitz, Absol to Psycho Cut/Superpower/Megahorn, etc.)

It's not to say that stall will completely reach a downward spiral. Sticky Web and the slew of new moves will make a difference, it's just that it won't stall as well if Megas like the ones you anre I mentioned are considered legal.

EDIT: I'm aware. I suck at proofreading.

...what? There was next to no stall in Gen5, if I remember. Infact, since DP's early days and the probably-well-remembered Obistall, I haven't seen a single team go stalling and get majorly noted for it. The nerf to Weather, these Megas, the depowering of Special Types and the immaterializing of Dragons by way of Fairy should cause this to be a RESURGANT gen for Stall.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Stalling with megas is going be tough though, because you don't get any leftovers recovery, and leftovers is one of the reasons stall even exists. Leftovers are a VERY big deal as they are the only form of recovery for some pokemon and unless you're mega has another semi-reliable source of recovery like synthesis/leech seed (venusaur/abomasnow), I wouldn't recommend it. You can argue that wish support is a thing and what not, but passing wishes is MUCH tougher than it looks on paper. Aggron and Tyranitar are cool and all, but I would think of them more of checks and bulky attackers, not complete counters and stallers.

Really?
I must be playing on the wrong servers then...I'm not used to going on Showdown and I usually head to PO for most of my battles. Maybe I mixed up on my views. Apologies towards that but...
Yeah. I just see those Mega's just chomping through opponents like it's nobodies business. I do see a problem in that we can't carry something useful like a Choice Band or Scarf, but that also hurts both sides as Venusaur will be without it's Leftovers.

Let's see how things will coast when the first week of Smogon OU of X and Y play out. Hopefully we might see stall teams become popular but i'm doubtful towards it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)