1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Yilx first place artist

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Yilx, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Eagle4

Eagle4

Doran, Sawk's body is facing to the left, due to the black belt and the fact that Sawk isn't THAT fat. The stance is just an over-the-top karate stance. :D Yilx, not your best, but that doesn't mean I don't love it.
  2. GlassAbsol

GlassAbsol

I love the warmth of the red shading on Sawk, a nice contrasting touch. I think the piece would have an overall more professional feel to it if there was more of a back ground, showing the source of the light. You've worked a lot recently on backgrounds. The discrepancies in the stance and pose have been highlighted already. If you developed the shadows a little more then it would have a more professional feel to it definitely. The shadows currently don't make sense unless the red isn't a light it's just to highlight the shadowed part of Sawk. Still, the shadows on the ground could be more developed. A good piece and I've always loved your work but still there are areas you could improve on. Just like everyone. Hope this helps and isn't complete nonsense :)
  3. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

the red shadow definitely made this sawk
  4. Fishy

Fishy

yilx, your art is absolutely exquisite.

of course this is a pokemon forum, but i am constantly enamored with your humans and girls that you constantly draw. you're very adept with minute details, and their hands are never, ever awkward! everything is in its rightful place, doubly so when adapting to a pokemon design and still retaining your own flare in its creation.

also can you tell me how to just draw myself some abs like iroha uta, thanks~
  5. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

6. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

WOW, that's incredible, Yilx. I love that you've been breaking out of your shell as of late artistically (not that there was anything bad with your old style). I adore the faded colors and soft strokes of the above painting. The expressions are fantastic too. Please keep on developing new styles of drawing; they'll help you to become an even more versatile artist in the future.

Keep it up <3
  7. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yilx draws cutemons! Yay ^_^ that's a cuddly Heatran!
  8. Eagle4

Eagle4

I love that piece Yilx. The gentle brushstrokes are masterful, and enhance the humour, I think (Please don't challenge that odd statement).

Your new art style is great, and I love the expressions. However, I feel that Garchomp doesn't need those question marks, it takes away the focus of the pokemon, a little. And if anybody disagrees with these comments... I don't blame you.
  9. Yilx

Yilx Sad

10. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

SO CUTE OH MY GOD
  11. Aurora

Aurora HRT
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Until seeing the above picture, I thought Garchomp and Heatran would forever be depicted as ugly.
    But that's just cute.
  12. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Oh man I saw your excellent weather art on eo's proposition and this stuff is amazing. Huge props to you.
  13. Yonko7

Yonko7 Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Dark/Steel Registeel looks like something from an anime. Love it!
  14. EspyOwner

EspyOwner

Yilx, you are my favourite artist on Smogon.
    The amount of adorable that you draw is too amazing.
  15. Yilx

Yilx Sad

16. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

That is ridiculous. Wow.
  17. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yea... not sure what makes this stand out from the rest, but it seems a lot crisper than your usual artwork. I really like the details on her armor, dress, and hands. Your use of the color red is AWESOME :D
  18. Yilx

Yilx Sad

and I STILL can't draw faces worth looking at ugh

[​IMG]
  19. Eagle4

Eagle4

Well that Koffing likes her.... I love the shading of the body and the backgrounds, but the legs/thighs look out of proportion. Maybe slim them down a bit?

EDIT: And where's Mollux?
  20. Yilx

Yilx Sad

21. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Sick.

As much as I like the main character in that picture, it's your background art that I fell in love with. It has such a dynamic color range and the rocks jutting out into the sun at that angle looks incredible. Every single red line looks like it's clinging to the stone. Awesome work, Yilx =)
  22. Yilx

Yilx Sad

23. GlassAbsol

GlassAbsol

Wow Yilx
    That Face looks really good. Practice makes perfect?. I love the contrast of the blue with the Orange sky. The lighting and the details and the shading. One of your best pieces in my opinion. Sort of new style too. Really really good job
  24. Astrid

Astrid

Oh wow, I'd kill for prints of some of those duotone Pokemon. Ever considered making them available?
  25. Yilx

Yilx Sad

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)