Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - August 2009

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Once again Doug, great work.

I have been seeing many more Roserade leads this month, so it's no surprised to me that it has spiked in usage. Soooo many Rotom... But I'm afraid I have never seen a Frost or Air one....Also Latias has spiked as well, that thing has annoyed me since the day it came to OU:(

Blissey useage continue to fall that makes me sad, i have allways had a place for her on every single team i have made scince gold/silver.

Nice to see magnazone useage still keeps high, and latias wow it's really gone up in the world with it's usage. No supprise to see infernape usage going down while latias runs rampant. Heatran has got it's thrid spot back through i prediced that gyara may overtake mence but oh well. Whats wrong with celebi I do not know why people do not use it more fantasic movepool great base stats but bad typing seems fine enough to me mabye latias has replaced it as a calm minder and team supporter?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay guys, repeat after me:

OU is not determined by the top 50 used Pokemon.

All together now:

Once again:

Thank you for your time.

(In other words, please stop saying that <Some Pokemon> is going to be UU because its rank is close to #50.)

OU may not be the top 50 used Pokemon, but I haven't seen the list drop below 45 or rise above 55 so any Pokemon in that range have a chance of being moved.

sand *has* gotten a lot more common in the past few weeks. i blame jak3 and superc. i think rhyperior will be hard to fit on a sand team without creating too many weakenesses to grass, water, and fighting attackers -- they are already hard-pressed to find answers to those while running a mostly useless hippopotas (he has a few niches that he excels at, but countering azumarill is not one of them).
And it'll probably get even more common once Roserade gets the banhammer next month. I really didn't wanna see her go, I use her on a good number of my teams. Might as well abuse her while she's here for September though. (:

As for the "Milotic will be broken if Roserade goes to OU," I think many people forget that other Grass-types exist. Sceptile, Venusaur, and Leafeon can all still keep it in check, as can Chansey, Lanturn, Regice, etc..The only problem will be that it'd be slightly more annoying to kill now.

Rhyperior seems interesting, but I honestly don't see it becoming too big a threat, it's just way too slow. The Choice Bander would probably be the most deadly set, Rock Polish isn't that useful with all the Aqua Jet Azumarills and Vacuum Waves flying around.

I can't wait for Zam though, it'll be beautiful. So many options... Sub Encore, Sub Calm Mind, TrickSpecs, TricksCarf, Dual Screen, etc...I don't see it being broken, but top-tier for sure. It just sucks that it'll probably take over most Espeons spot on teams.

The only set I can see being a little overpowering is a simple Substitute attacker with 3 moves, which only Chansey can probably reliably take on because of his rediculous Special Attack stat. When behind a sub he can smply fire Focus Blasts at Registeel, switch, and KO him the next time he switches in. It also eases prediction and prevents him from being pursuit bait.

All together now:

Once again:

Thank you for your time.

(In other words, please stop saying that <Some Pokemon> is going to be UU because its rank is close to #50.)
This issue comes up every single month, and I do think most people are aware that it's not the top 50 Pokemon. Whilst the rank of a Pokemon means very little, it is a fairly reliable way for estimating what tier a Pokemon will be in, without having to calculate it.

But I do think everybody here knows that the cut-off for OU could be after the Pokemon ranking 41st, or 56th, for example, it just tends to be slightly less than 50, usually. In UU, it tends to be a little bit over 50.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I can't wait for Zam though, it'll be beautiful. So many options... Sub Encore, Sub Calm Mind, TrickSpecs, TricksCarf, Dual Screen, etc...I don't see it being broken, but top-tier for sure. It just sucks that it'll probably take over most Espeons spot on teams.

The only set I can see being a little overpowering is a simple Substitute attacker with 3 moves, which only Chansey can probably reliably take on because of his rediculous Special Attack stat. When behind a sub he can smply fire Focus Blasts at Registeel, switch, and KO him the next time he switches in. It also eases prediction and prevents him from being pursuit bait.
And Spiritomb.

I also think Zam will be fine if it drops, it is too frail to switch into anything, has a few hard counters (Chansey and Spiritomb), good checks (Registeel, Drapion) and is just too susceptible to priority and/or Scarfers in general.

And Spiritomb.

I also think Zam will be fine if it drops, it is too frail to switch into anything, has a few hard counters (Chansey and Spiritomb), good checks (Registeel, Drapion) and is just too susceptible to priority and/or Scarfers in general.
Been barely seeing him lately, totally forgot about Spiritomb. :|

Yeah, with Spiritomb being a perfect counter to Alakazam, he will fit pretty well in UU, if he ever goes there.

I'm also pretty surprised at the skyrocketing use of the Rotom formes.

chansey doesn't counter alakazam, specs alakazam can 2hko blissey with focus blast, so he can do the same too chansey. Hell, I bet with stealth rock and a layer of spikes, he can 2hko with specs modest psychic.

Thanks doug. I must use a lot of roserade this month!

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I doubt Specs Alakazam will be used much, as it's too susceptible to Pursuit from Absol, Honchkrow, Drapion, Spiritomb, and even things such as Scyther (Focus Blast/Signal Beam), Tauros (Shadow Ball), Hitmontop (Signal Beam), not to mention Sucker Punch Dugtrio. Hell if it goes Modest like you suggest you don't even need to Sucker Punch with Duggy since it's not a speedtie anymore.

Completely agree with Thund that Substitute + 3 attacks should be the best, and most deadly set for Alakazam to run in UU.

I doubt Specs Alakazam will be used much, as it's too susceptible to Pursuit from Absol, Honchkrow, Drapion, Spiritomb, and even things such as Scyther (Focus Blast/Signal Beam), Tauros (Shadow Ball), Hitmontop (Signal Beam), not to mention Sucker Punch Dugtrio. Hell if it goes Modest like you suggest you don't even need to Sucker Punch with Duggy since it's not a speedtie anymore.

Completely agree with Thund that Substitute + 3 attacks should be the best, and most deadly set for Alakazam to run in UU.
I agree as well, a pokemon as frail as Alakazam definitely needs the protection from priority, as seen with Pikachu and Shaymin-S.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Wow, amazing statistics. It must take DougJustDoug a lot of work! It's awesome knowing the usages of pokemon...damn Scizor. ;O

You're right here, though if HG\SS brought a rapid spin tutor, then I'm sure that Salamence would rise in usage.

I can't wait to test Rhyperior in UU, though Alakazam sounds even more appealing to me.

Also:

| Latias | Move | HP-Fire | 9.8 |

Am I the only one who uses HP fire Latias?

As always a great job DJD.
No, I use it every time I run Latias on my team.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why would we need to use special attacking Grass types at all? Why not use, say, SD Venusaur, which at least has ways of hurting Registeel? At any rate, it's not like there will be any lack of good Grass types, even without Roserade. It will change the metagame, but not shake it to its very foundations. Venusaur can manage just fine in this metagame.

Rhyperior will make one good addition to my sandstorm team! ^_^
Yes, adding another grass, ice, and water weakness(Hippopotas is weak to these) will surely help. The most useful set for Rhyperior in the sand is the "SubPerior" set, and with how common Azumarill is, as well as Donphan and Torterra, you are better off trying to do as much damage when you can with the CB set.

Yes, adding another grass, ice, and water weakness(Hippopotas is weak to these) will surely help. The most useful set for Rhyperior in the sand is the "SubPerior" set, and with how common Azumarill is, as well as Donphan and Torterra, you are better off trying to do as much damage when you can with the CB set.
Sandstorm is not as hard to run as eveyone thinks. I've kicked many asses with my sandstorm team that I expected to fail with. I to thought that sharing all those weaknesses hurt it, but I urge people to actually try one for themselves. It's a surprisingly successful type of team in the UU environment. It may also just surprise people because it's not stall, but an offensive team that I run. ;P

| 5 | Wobbuffet | 8704 | 32.08 |

Can't say more... Awesome!

Thanks Doug.

@ Petrie911: No way Porygon2 will ever go to NU. You mean OU? I think you made a typo.

@ Petrie911: No way Porygon2 will ever go to NU. You mean OU? I think you made a typo.
No, it seems more likely to me that Porygon2 will be in NU at the next tiering than OU. While it did have a good showing in July, rising about .3% above the OU cutoff, it's below the OU cutoff by .2% now. As mentioned, it'll need good performance in the next month to make OU. Meanwhile, its UU usage has been falling since April and has just now dropped below the UU cutoff. And to be perfectly honest, Porygon2 just isn't all that good in UU, and its OU usage is rather fickle. Still, it is quite odd to consider that Porygon2 has a reasonable chance of being NU, UU, or OU when the new tier list comes around.

All together now:

Once again:

Thank you for your time.

What is ou determined by? I allways asumed it was the top 49 but by the sounds of it I am wrong.

http://www.smogon.com/articles/tiers

essentially if you would expect to find a Pokemon once or more in a random sample of twenty teams on the Standard ladder, it is OU. the tier list for a month takes into account weighted usage for the previous three months and it just so happens that the cut off is usually around 50.

(I hope I read that correctly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)