Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
a fire chimp that can trip foes with vines.
I just think it's nice that things are not always what you'd expect and that there's an element of surprise.
Monkeys swing on vines I guess, so Grass Knot gets a pass.

What will happen when B&W is released?

I mean the metagame.
All the new Pokémon must be assigned a tier and many old Pokémon need to be reviewed for new moves and possibly have their tiers changed.

How long would this take? What do we do meanwhile (apart from playing the actual games)?

I wasn't around in the gen3 to gen4 transition so I wanted to know.
For the longest time I thought I was the only one who noticed the great headache B&W will cause. The game is right around the corner and Shoddy 2 isn't out yet, in fact where not even close to done with this metagame with Mence on the chopping block praying for its life and the presence of CAP. I feel there will definitely be a great shift away from anything to do with Gen IV sims like Shoddy(2) as people will be more interested in B&W unless by some misfortune that the game flops and we all think it sucks.

Read bellow...

I'd like to know too. I wasn't in the competitive scene when the 3rd Gen to 4th Gen transition was happening. Do you single out obviously broken Pokemon and play a game where everything is allowed? What is the baseline of "obviously broken"?
Continuing...

Of course things like Wobbufett and Waynut are automatically banned, Mew will still be banned because of its ability to learn any TM/Tutor move without question making it impossible to even have the slightest clue to what it intends to do. We could test all the Ubers (BST) but really why bother, its a waste of time since we already know how absurdly powerful legendary Pokemon like these are and why they where always banned long before Shoddy when vets where still on Netbattle and GS Bot. Pokemon shifted to from OU to Ubers will be allowed back into standard play and tested with the new lineup of monsters, abilities and attacks.

Yeah thats just what we need, a pseudo-legend with mold breaker.

Name one pseudo-legend that doesn't get Earthquake.
Didn't we discuss how its not really that big of a deal? Really the only use I feel Mold Breaker has it allows you to hit levitating Pokemon but its not like they plan to switch into you anytime soon especially since the game lets the opponent know you have that ability lol! Its not like Mold Breaker is Foresight/Scrappy + Miracle Eye + Gravity all in one, now that would be broken and something to whin about.
Anyone else think Zekrom's ability will let it hit Ground types for neutral damage like what Scrappy does with Ghosts? I'm going with this because of the two words used to name its unknown ability. Would be nice to spam since Electric is one of the better types with only one major resistance by grass and not so much by Dragon as most have some second type that makes it neutral.

@above - I think the correct translation is "Tera Voltage", as opposed to "Terra Votage" - Tera = a trillion, so Tera Voltage doesn't have anything to do with hitting Ground mons, unlike Terra. Also, Tera Voltage goes better with Turbo Blaze, as they both basically mean "shitloads of fire/electricity", but if Zekrom's ability was as you described, TB would have to be something different, as nothing has a type immunity to Fire.

Whoops my mistake. But that makes the strategy even better, assuming the abilities stack. You have two Pokemon with 1.5x Special Attack and one with 2.25x Special Attack.
Ahh yes, would it be more efficient to give the 2.25x boost to Minun (who has lower special attack than Plusle) and the 1.5x boost to Plusle, or vise versa?

Minun (2.25): 560 (372 damage min)
Plusle (1.5): 403 (267 damage min)
neutral Thunderbolt vs. 200 Def; Total Damage: 639 (min)

Minun (1.5): 373 (247 damage min)
Plusle (2.25): 605 (400 damage min)
neutral Thunderbolt vs. 200 Def; Total Damage: 647 (min)

Giving Plusle the larger boost allows you to do slightly more damage against the targets (plus more Pokemon sit just below 400 HP so it is useful to OHKO them). I'm not gonna lie, it sounds a helluvah lot more viable when you have 317 base speed and 605/373 special attack at your disposal, along with Thunderbolt + Grass Knot + HP Ice (plus even if Gear's evolution has a special attack stat similar to Bronzong, it could reach 423 Special Attack with a +SpA nature).

Haha suddenly these Pokemon don't look too bad :D

I'm assuming the third Pokemon for your calculations is a Gear with Plus (scenario 1) or a Gear with Minus (scenario 2). You'll need to consider Gear's stats/movepool when deciding whether to give it Plus or Minus when pairing it with Plusle and Minun, as that can affect your total damage output. Hope that makes sense, this is kind of confusing.

Something interesting to consider though if you ignore Species Clause and want to decide between Plusle, Plusle, Minun and Minun, Minun, Plusle:

Plusle, Plusle, Minun
Minun (2.25): 560 (372 damage min)
neutral Thunderbolt vs. 200 Def; Total Damage: 906 (min)

Minun, Minun, Plusle
Plusle (2.25): 605 (400 damage min)
neutral Thunderbolt vs. 200 Def; Total Damage: 894 (min)

So you actually get more damage by giving Minun the larger boost (i.e. by running two Plusle and one Minun). But like you said it's possible Minun wouldn't be able to OHKO certain targets that Plusle can, so I guess it's not a simple matter of which combination gives the highest damage output.

I don't see why you would want to use Gear+Plusle+Minun because anything with Earthquake will kill them all (provided it's in the middle). I'm still thinking that Gear is going to have terrible stats to "balance" Plus and Minus and it won't be a useful strategy anyway. Remember, if one of them goes down, the other two will be weaker and it's not difficult to take out Plusle and Minun.

Does anyone else think Kibago is going to be Dragon/Fighting? I mean; it has mold breaker and learns Double Chop! That sounds pretty fighting/dragon to me. Also, I'm going to rage bricks if they troll us and get rid of mold breaker just like they do with all the other cool pseudo legends.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So, has there been any speculation on the possible Third Wheel legendary (i.e. rayquaza, giratina) in this game? We have possible representations of Yin/Yang in Zekrom/Reshiram, and Yin/Yang represents proper order in the universe so...a Chaos legendary? Will we finally have a Dark/Ghost with the stats to back the typing up?

It would be nice if Kibago ended up being Dragon/Fighting but for some reason Double Chop is apparently a Dragon type move. Confused, much? I know I am

Does anyone else think Kibago is going to be Dragon/Fighting? I mean; it has mold breaker and learns Double Chop! That sounds pretty fighting/dragon to me. Also, I'm going to rage bricks if they troll us and get rid of mold breaker just like they do with all the other cool pseudo legends.
Double Chop is more like chopping something with its teeth I imagine, which is why they even bothered showing it off with it. And it's also a Dragon-type move. Don't know what Mold Breaker has to do with Fighting-types, as no Fighting-type even has Mold Breaker.

@TheMaskedNitpicker: I don't know, I'm actually pretty sure it's "doku". It's way too small for me to even think about trying look at a chart and figure it out, but considering it's some shade of purple, that would match with either Psychic or Poison-type, and since it seems like it begins with "doku", Poison makes sense, and since Poison makes sense, "doku" makes sense. Kibago is actually called Kibago in the anime pre-production sketchs, but the first character is totally illegible, and the last character, to me, doesn't look marked to turn "ko" into "go". Japanese at such a small resolution is tricky.

How do you chop with your teeth? I guess it could use those things on the side of its head but that seems rather awkward. I have a feeling it uses its hand/claws to do a chop/slash attack. Fighting/Dragon could be broken because it isn't resisted by any existing Pokemon and would only be resisted by a Ghost/Steel Pokemon, if they decide to make one.

How do you chop with your teeth? I guess it could use those things on the side of its head but that seems rather awkward. I have a feeling it uses its hand/claws to do a chop/slash attack. Fighting/Dragon could be broken because it isn't resisted by any existing Pokemon and would only be resisted by a Ghost/Steel Pokemon, if they decide to make one.
I mean like, it's biting, except they used another word besides "Bite" or "Fang" or whatever. I guess it's a reach, but really my point is it's not supposed to be a karate chop or something since it's a Dragon-type attack and something like that would clearly be fighting (looking at you Mega Punch and Kick), and I'm sure it has something to do with its teeth if it was introduced along with Kibago. The straight definition of the word "chop" doesn't really make it so it can't.

EDIT: I'll never understand people's problem with the Sinnoh Dex. Nobody here said anything lately, but it just seems like general opinion that it was a "bad" set of Pokemon. Lack of Fire-types until Platinum sucked, but at least the one other Fire-type besides the starter was available literally as soon as it was useful, which was still relatively early in the game, and Platinum's Pokedex seemed to me to be so well-balanced with all kinds of types available all over as well as access to all of the powerful evolutions that weren't available until post-game in DP, I just don't understand why people disliked it. It really felt like the BEST Dex to me...

Why we dislike the Sinnoh dex?

THREE Water/Ground types
THREE Water/Flying types
ONE Fire type (Not accounting the starter)
A LOT of completely useless stuff (Mothim, Pachirisu, etc etc)
A LOT of pokes that were too hard to count for the results they yield (Wormadam? Vespiquen? Please...)

That might help.

After looking through pics on Serebii, I think Tsutaja will end up being Grass/Poison. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this before. I saw what looks to be a Poison-type move in it's status screen. Not that I'm saying Grass/Poison is necessarily a bad combination, it's just that I'd wish that the starters would be the pokemon with most exotic type combinations

150 Pokemon in a region's dex hasn't worked since RBY when there was only one Dragon line and one Ghost line. Not to mention that you couldn't even get things like Porygon-Z and Magnezone until Platinum. The 20 or so Water-types didn't help either.

About the abilities: i think they are like motor drive and flash fire, just reversed (Turbo Blaze speed if hit by fire and vice versa)

I have been reading things about the Isshu dex going to about 200 with mostly all new pokemon. Then when you get the national dex there would be alot of evolutions and Pre's of past pokemon and that it would be way more than in shinnoh

im hoping for this to be true and i got the feeling it may be seeing as how they seem to be including 2x the amount of nearly everything. ex,rivals, the amount of pokemon pre released before the game is released.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
@above - I think the correct translation is "Tera Voltage", as opposed to "Terra Votage" - Tera = a trillion, so Tera Voltage doesn't have anything to do with hitting Ground mons, unlike Terra. Also, Tera Voltage goes better with Turbo Blaze, as they both basically mean "shitloads of fire/electricity", but if Zekrom's ability was as you described, TB would have to be something different, as nothing has a type immunity to Fire.
Oh, it sure has. The Earth itself doesn't have infinite resistance. It's perfectly plausible one trillion volts will be enough to ignore a Ground-type pokémon's immunity to electricity.

But I have no idea on how Turbo Blaze will work if Tera Voltage is like that.

Maybe Rivalry is for 1 & 2nd form and Mold Breaker is for the fully evolved stage??
Huh ?_? We know Kibago has both abilities already, something that has never happened before to any pseudo's first form. However, no <600 BST Dragon's first form has ever been Dragon-type, so it doesn't matter which route Kibago goes upon evolving, it's going to be a "mold breaker" ~__~

That would make sense, but it's pretty clearly not 'doku'. There are no marks next to the 'to' and the second character doesn't appear to be an unmarked 'ku'.
Now that you said it... It looks more like "kigu" than "doku" or "togu".

Somebody should have taken better scans of this pamphlet, damn.

Why we dislike the Sinnoh dex?

THREE Water/Ground types
THREE Water/Flying types
ONE Fire type (Not accounting the starter)
A LOT of completely useless stuff (Mothim, Pachirisu, etc etc)
A LOT of pokes that were too hard to count for the results they yield (Wormadam? Vespiquen? Please...)

That might help.
You are talking about D/P's, he's also taking Plat's into account.

breh

強いだね
Can somebody please tell me why nobody seems to understand that "Double Chomp" has been mistranslated >9000 times as "Double Chop"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)