The Everything NFL Thread - 2010 Season

pookar

Banned deucer.
I believe i am known enough by my tirades on irc to be a firm disbeliever in Ben and Romo as "good-great" quarterbacks. Although Ben is better than romo, maybe because his defense erases his mistakes, or hes actually more successful in being a fuckass, whatever. But they both take way too many stupid risks. Whether its forcing a throw that isnt there, attempting to "extend" the play and fumbling/taking a sack. Now obviously big ben is a better game manager than romo as per his YPA, but people quickly forget that he takes a lot of sacks/2 yard scrambles instead of throwing the ball away (which would lower his YPA). For a dude who has dealt with a few too many concussions, his aggressive playstyle is just insane. Now i dont really want to drag Romo into this unnecessarily because he was never even mentioned, so i wont. Big Ben has had way more success being a fuckass QB and DOES make big plays so I really should stop hating on him. He's very accurate on the run and if his decision making was better he'd easily be better. But he doesnt have to be, with the running game and defense he has.

The best quarterbacks this year were Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers in some order. Big Ben is right outside that group, but is not in the group, and no amount of Super Bowls will change that reality.

Because he wasn't a top 5 QB? Despite great talent around him, he still put up average-decent stats. And the supposed "team-to-beat" without him still managed to be solidly beaten by the Saints and Pats. And they also lost to the Jets at home.

He's a good QB, and a pretty darn good post season QB, but he's not an elite QB in the regular season. You can tell by the fact that the team was still great without him, and like I said, still managed to lose to good teams with him at QB.

And also what Killah said.

He had a 97.0 rating (Better than Brees and Manning). So much for average stats. He also doesnt have great talent around them, his offensive line is considered one of the worst in the league. And the team can manage 4 games without him probably not an entire season.

He had a 97.0 rating (Better than Brees and Manning). So much for average stats. He also doesnt have great talent around them, his offensive line is considered one of the worst in the league. And the team can manage 4 games without him probably not an entire season.
To be fair to the line, Ben's general willingness to hold onto the ball so much to extend/make plays also makes it look worse than it appears...

But I agree, they might have managed 4 games without Big Ben (3-1 is by no means bad), they very likely would not have made the postseason without him, especially at the rate the backups were going down towards then end of the suspension; Batch would have been starting games 5 and 6 if Ben's suspension hadn't been reduced.

I'm not gonna get into the whole "what makes a QB elite" debate (largely because just based on stats I think is misleading), but put it this way, he's in the Super Bowl again, whereas 3 of the other greats (Manning, Brady, Brees) didn't make it any higher than the divisional round, and one (Rivers) didn't even get into the playoffs. So to me, both Big Ben and Rodgers right now are far better than either of their competition for leading their teams this far.

If you believe that QB rating is the most accurate assessment of a quarterback, then I have some real estate to sell you. Big Ben did not throw many interceptions, but he did not throw many touchdowns either (17-5, feel free to extraoplate it to 16 games, it still would not compare to the others).

Haha those are sick numbers for sure...if he keeps up numbers like that, ups his yards per attempt, and his team improves, then it will be hard not to call him elite.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think many people consider Ben elite because he is so clutch. He is one of the best come from behind QBs in the league right now, and does an excellent job running the hurry up and 2:00 offenses. His intermediate play, however, leaves something to be desired. He's not the most consistent in games that are even or he's in the lead, so that prevents him from being truly elite. I would probably rank him about #4 or #5 out of the QBs in the league right now. However, if my team had 90 yards to go in 2 minutes, I'd choose him over everyone, including brady manning and brees.

Well this is big...Titans are ditching Fisher as well. Bet some teams now wish they held off hiring since he's now available...now Titans will have some major work to do in getting a new head coach and a new qb...

Oh well, best of luck to Fisher. 16 years is an incredibly long run for a head coach, he should have no problems finding another team to join.

People must be really upset they passed on a coach who made bad decisions in games all season.
I dunno, read some of the comments on the NFL site and quite a few seem unhappy. But yeah, perhaps it was for the best, 16 years is what, more than 11 years or so longer than the usual coaching gig these days? I mean, he was what, probably the last hangover from when they were the Oilers besides the owner of course.

He's a good not great coach and his record indicates that. 5 playoff appearances in 16 years. And his teams have had the 1 seed twice and lost in the divisional round.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Cassel was pretty damned good this year too TBH. And I don't think Ben was Top 5 this year but he probably would've been if he played the first four games.

Lolling at the Titans gutting both Fisher and VY now. ;[ Always a mediocre franchise...

I believe i am known enough by my tirades on irc to be a firm disbeliever in Ben and Romo as "good-great" quarterbacks.
not helping your case :happybrain:

And the Steelers' running game has been pretty much a joke the past few years, until Mendenhall emerged as non-sucky this year.

pookar

Banned deucer.
both of these things are directly related to big ben's playstyle
#1 97.0 qb rating. Pretty sure it doesnt measure sacks taken, only some formulaic approach to completions, attempts, tds and interceptions. Big Ben takes sacks instead of incompletions, raising his qb rating. also a lot of low risk short throws to tight ends and wrs (and hines ward).
#2 like i said, big ben holds on to the ball for a shitlong time. give any team 6 seconds each ply to get to the qb and they will get sacks.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There's a reason it's called passer rating and not QB rating. It also doesn't take into account fumbles, or the ability to shrug off five dudes before chucking it downfield to an open guy, or intangibles like leadership.

Man, NFC is killing the AFC lol...flipped on the Pro Bowl game for the start of the 3rd quarter, 48-7 lead was a bit shocking given the NFC team never seemed that good from what I remembered in the past...granted it's now 48-28, but still.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Pro Bowl is easily the biggest joke game in all professional sports. I wouldn't put too much stock in a game where no one is trying.

You should've watched the NHL All-Star game instead. At least it was somewhat enjoyable.

The Pro Bowl is easily the biggest joke game in all professional sports. I wouldn't put too much stock in a game where no one is trying.

You should've watched the NHL All-Star game instead. At least it was somewhat enjoyable.
Well I know it's a joke, there's no mistake about that (hell I wouldn't wanna risk being injured after surviving 16+ games either). But still, I thought it was kinda funny.

My favorite pro bowl moment was Ray Lewis carrying two opponents like 8 yards (and a third jumped on around the 2 or something). I tuned this year's out though...I would care if the stars ever played (which they will not) or the voting actually started at the end of the season.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah this year seemed like an even bigger joke than usual because like 70% of the original roster chose not to attend, either because they were in the SB or because of injury/other reasons. I think the Pro Bowl needs to go back to being after the SB and not before it.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think they should just stop playing it. Adding replacement players because the originals bow out dilutes the game and destroys the whole fucking point of it: watching the AFC's best play the NFC's best. They players will never try and there is no point to even winning the game, so they might as well just wear shorts and make it a flag game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)