VGC Community Create-a-Team - Check post #280 [RMT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Current step: here

Our final team looks like this:

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sheer Cold

Milotic @ Water Gem
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Scald
- Hail
- Protect

Chandelure @ Resist Berry Rock/Ground
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Trick Room
Protect

Hitmontop @ Fight Gem/Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4HP / 252Atk / 252Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
-Rock Slide
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Protect

Gastrodon @ Ground Gem
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252HP / 252SpAtk / 4Def
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
-Earth Power
-Muddy Water
-Blizzard
-Protect
And our playstyle is Goodstuff.

I'm taking an old suggestion and finally running with it. We have a great community here and I feel it is time we get together and create a team!

If you don't know what the Community Create-a-Team is here are a few past and current threads to give you an idea of what it is:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61918
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456000
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457379

We will get together and vote on certain aspects of a team, certain things will be different for this version due to being VGC doubles, but the concept will remain the same.

Here is the process (thanks to Heysup for the general idea):

Step 1: We are going to start by picking which pair of Pokemon (and their sets) we are going to be basing the team around. We all remember TopOgre, ZapChomp, and SazaJelly, it is time we give some recognition to another pair of Pokemon. This does NOT mean the Pokemon have has to be an offensive core such as those, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role they play. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll (Pokemon that you think fit the description of a "forgotten" Pokemon). After a couple of days (probably around one-two days, until enough pokemon are in the poll (around 10)), I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Note: A "Forgotten Wonder" is something is less used then the average OU Pokemon / set, but is still powerful enough to be used in the standard metagame. So no Caterpies, Magikarp, Beldum, Etc. Thanks. We have chosen Abomasnow and Milotic

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Weather, Goodstuff, Trick Room, Tailwind, etc. We have chosen Goodstuff

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it. We have rounded out the team with Chandelure, Hitmontop, Terrakion and Gastrodon.

Step 4: We finalize the team and write up a 5-star RMT!
Make sure your Pokemon are always viable, not just theorymonned together.

We are currently in STEP 4, so go playtesting, and then write up a RMT for your team

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, time for an original core then

Lucario (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Follow Me
- Drain Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Helping Hand

Dragonite (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Protect

A Very Interesting Core at first glance, but this offers both Offensive and Defensive synergy, as there isnt a Spread Move (Other than Disharge) that hits both of these Pokemon for super-effective damage. Also, both are immune to Fake Out, meaning they can attack while the opponent wastes a turn using Fake Out. Also, both have Priority, so they can move first and KO the opponent before they can use their attack/priority (ExtremeSpeed is +2 Priority)

As for Follow Me Lucario, it draws away any super effective attack from Dragonite (ex, Ice Beam, Draco Meteor) and is bulky enough to pull this off

Heres an examplle of how Bulky this Lucario is.

The foe's Infernape used Heat Wave!
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 102 HP! (57% of its health)
Lucario ate its Sitrus Berry!
Lucario restored some HP!
The foe's Infernape is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Infernape used Heat Wave!
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 104 HP! (58% of its health)
As you can see, its bulky enough to take 2 STAB LO Heat Waves from an Infernape. And these two can cover just about any Pokemon in the Meta-Game. Its also really reliable to beat common weathers such as Rain, because Dragonite resists the Surf/Muddy Water

This core can raise hell for the opponent easily, if it is played right

Aww. I had a good Caterpie set too.... Anyways,

Gallade@Sitrus Berry
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Drain Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Helping Hand
-Protect

Gallade is usually overlooked for fighting-types such as Hitmontop or Infernape, but he performs this set extremely well. Drain Punch in conjunction with His natural bulk helps him stay alive throughout the battle. Zen Headbutt checks the ever-so common Hitmontop while providing great coverage at the same time. Helping Hand is only one of the supporting options Gallade provides and is the niche that it fills in the metagame. Helping Hand is useful for a more offensive play style while Heal pulse can heal a bulky partner in need of recovery. It also gets Thunder Wave to check opposing Tailwind teams. As you can see, Gallade is just awesome.

EDIT: Sorry for forgetting the 2nd part of the pair. T_T

Jellicent@Choice Scarf
Trait: Water Absorb
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest (+SpA, - Atk)
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam
-Energy Ball

Jellicent was a popular pokemon that was commonly used in VGC 2011. Since VGC 2012 came along, it's usage dropped by an incredible amount. But, it still has one role that it does well. Choice Scarf Water Spout. Combined with STAB, incredible Base Power, and Gallade's Helping Hand, it can potentially OHKO most of the metagame. Of course there are exceptions such as Kingdra and Ferrothorn, but they are handled by Gallade! The other moves provide coverage because sadly, you can't spam Water Spout every battle...

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Please submit two Pokemon, we are doing a pair for the first step!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I saw OU doing this a while back and thought "wow this would be cool for VGC, maybe I should ask someone if we can start it". Needless to say, I did not ask because I am lazy (and besides someone else did it so :P) I wanna start this off by giving makiri/zerowing/Paul (and whatever other VGC mod approved this, I'm assuming Firestorm, GEC, etc) a big thank you! for starting this.

I actually really liked the two cores in the posts above me (I'd love to try them out some time), but the potential problems I see with both is that Hitmontop is a significant roadblock to their success, Intimidate wrecking Lucario and Dragonite and Sucker Punch doing a job on Jellicent, while Gallade is not (as) able to hit back with Zen Headbutt due to the aforementioned Intimidate.

After hearing from Cybertron that Azelf and a Ghost-type (Chandelure in his case), worked very well together due to Azelf's fast and powerful Explosion, I decided to try it out, albeit with a different ghost. This is what I came up with:

(I am allowed to have slashes so if it gets picked it can be ironed out later right???)

Brief Overview
(In case I wasn't clear what the strategy is)

The ideal situation (and goal of this core/lead) is a turn one Explosion+<strong move from Gengar> to clear the field, barring Gengar, and leave you at a 3-2 advantage, from which you should be able to win the game.

The Pokemon

Pokemon: Azelf
Item: Life Orb / Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Explosion
-Protect

Most people (singles influencing doubles thinking >__>) think of Special Attack when Azelf is mentioned. What many people don't realize, though, is that Azelf's Attack is the exact same as its Special Attack. Zen Headbutt is a strong STAB move that wrecks a lot of stuff (especially with a Life Orb), namely Hitmontop. I was using Ice Punch, not really for any specific reason outside of coverage, it hits the Pokemon that resist Zen Headbutt/take more from Ice Punch like Lat@s, Whimsicott, Thundurus and Tornadus, and Zapdos. Explosion is the main reason for using Azelf. With a Life Orb or a Normal Gem, it's great to either lead off or use when Azelf is about to die, as it can often clear the field. Its Speed is what sets it apart from other Explosion/Selfdestruct users (i.e. Snorlax, Metagross, etc), as it doesn't have to rely on bulk or Trick Room to get a boom in before it dies. Its partner, Gengar, allows it to Explode with impunity, as its Ghost-type makes it immune to Explosion.

Gengar
Item: Ghost Gem / Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt / Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice
-Trick Room / Protect / Destiny Bond

I needed a Ghost-type to go with Azelf, and on the same day (coincidence? I think NOT) as I tried Azelf, Lucien took over Gengar (the analysis) and told me about how good it was. I thought "ok, why not", and LOVED IT. With a Ghost Gem Shadow Ball just destroys, 2HKOing most Cresselia (!!!) and decimating other stuff besides. I ran Thunderbolt, again for no reason other than coverage, hitting Water-types like Politoed and Suicune for good damage. (Ghost Gem SBall may be stronger but I usually used it on the first turn or reserved it for later on) Sludge Bomb could certainly work, providing a STAB for Gengar's Poison-typing and beating mons like Breloom and Ludicolo. I originally started out with HP Ice in the third slot to hit...again, I don't really know. I would say Dragon-types but Shadow Ball does more to the most common one (Latios), and 2HKOes Garchomp (iirc), and as most carry Yache I found it being redundant. I do think it has a place, and if the community wants to pick this core they can use it if they want! As it is, Focus Blast provided a way to whack Tyranitar (and while I didn't run into any other Dark-types, in theory(mon) it would work well against Scrafty, Hydreigon, etc), which walls Gengar otherwise. Its accuracy does kinda suck, but running HP Fighting means you aren't hitting it very hard at all, and it also drops your Speed IVs to 30, making the Latios/Gengar matchup an almost auto-loss. I didn't actually run Trick Room, but it seems good (more theorymon), as both Gengar and Azelf are fast, it needs a way to stop it. Protect is, duh, Protect, you guys are all VGCers here ;). Destiny Bond can be used in tandem with Focus Sash to nearly always get two kills a game.

Problems (and possible solutions):

Hitmontop - I said the previous cores had a Hitmontop problem, and this one does too (to an extent). If I were a singles player, I'd just call for a ban (this thing ruins all my teams fufufu), but since us doubles players have to deal with stuff, that's what we do here. What I really love about this is that Intimidate doesn't hurt quite as much as it can on others: Gengar is special-based, and Azelf still 2HKOes (so close to an OHKO ;( ) with Zen Headbutt. "But a 2HKO isn't good enough when Sucker Punch 2HKOes you!" This is where prediction comes in. Since Azelf is prone to Fake Out, a first turn Shadow Ball from Gengar (while Azelf Protects to avoid Fake Out/being double targeted) followed by a Zen Headbutt often allows me to escape the encounter without losing a mon. Of course, this all depends on what teammate Hitmontop has, what it chooses to do, and so on. I have to admit that Hitmontop probably has the best chance of stopping this combo, so if the community wants to use this core another teammate is going to have to be used to take Hitmontop out of the game (Tornadus, Gyarados, and special-based Landorus wall the crap out of it, for an example).

Trick Room - Since these are both fast Pokemon, they were used on a fast team. While Gengar reversing Trick Room with Trick Room can work (maybe), it still needs more than that to stop it. Explosion + Ghost Gem Shadow Ball on the first turn can often take out the Trick Room user, but this won't always work. Once again teammates are needed to ensure that Trick Room doesn't go up.

Aside from those two, I can't recall anything specific that hindered these two (but seriously I hate Hitmontop), but that's not to say nothing beat it, I lost a fair amount of games with it. I think that with tweaking from the community and proper team support these two can be the start of something special.

Sorry if this is tl;dr, I tried to keep it short :/

(disclaimer: it may look like I think we're only picking leads, I know that we aren't, however Gengar and Azelf are designed to most often lead together)

edit: ugh mattj why'd you have to post under me now everyone will skim my long boring post and read your concise exciting one x_x)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
After VGC '11 I don't know how "unique" anyone would consider this pair, but I've found it to be just as useful in VGC '12, even though I see much less of it there. I find it hard to not build my teams around them or incorporate them in some way. They've just been so useful in so many situations in my experience.

Tornadus w/ Flying Gem

Prankster
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Tailwind, Acrobatics, Taunt, Protect

Props to whoever first realized that Flying Gem activates BEFORE Acrobatics hits, therefore boosting it through the roof.

A lot of people who use Tailwindrus don't put many, if any, EVs in speed and use an Adamant nature. I don't because I don't actually use Tailwind that much. If its necessary, sure, but Jolly Tornadus outspeeds enough common stuff without any boost. Its probably because Acrobatics is base 110 STAB, but literally I've never been in a situation where I regretted not having the 16 Atk points that Adamant nature has over Jolly. But I have found myself thankful over and over again for using Jolly 252 Spd, either in getting the first Taunt, or outspeeding that annoying Sashed mon.
WHO ON EARTH ONLY CARRIES ONLY ONE OFFENSIVE MOVE ON THEIR LEAD MON???/?
me :x
Flying is a crazy good offensive type. Its only resisted by Electric, Rock and Steel. His good buddy down there takes care of Rock and Steel along with doing enough damage to any electric type out there, including bulky Elektross which he can normally Fake Out and then KO with HJK. Personally the only situation I've ever been in where only having Acrobatics was detrimental has been versus bulky Zapdos, and even then proper team building takes care of that. Rather I've found it to be supremely useful against most common VGC mons. Tailwind is self explanatory. Use it when you need it. Protect is standard, but I've found it surprisingly useful as an inordinate amount of people see Tornadus and go "ZOMFGSAAAAAAAAAA! I HAS TO KILL IT NOW!" for whatever reason. Taunt completely shuts down Amoongus and and other status/set up mons as well as helping with slower Tailwind teams and TR teams (in the right situation).

Mienshao w/ Wide Lens

Inner Focus
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Fake Out, Hi Jump Kick, Rock Slide, Feint
WHO THE #*(& USES WIDE LENS COMPETITIVELY???/?
I do now. I used to use Life Orb on it and it did very well for a time with those 4 moves. I even got 1893 in the Autumn Friendly tournament with this Mienshao with a Life Orb. Truth is though, I just happened to have gotten lucky. When I showed up at the Crestwood VGC '12 stop with this Mienshao with a Life Orb I am not joking, I missed an incredible, jaw dropping amount of times. I lost terribly badly to teams I could have easily beaten had I not 10% missed (looking at you freaking scarfed porygon). After that I decided to try Wide Lens more out of frustration and shame than anything else. Surprisingly, his base 130 STAB attack coming off of a 194 Atk still KO'd pretty much everything that LOrb was KOing (looking at you Choppletar). I just didn't miss anymore (I seriously haven't missed once since then).

His EVs are very basic, but that's just the way I usually set up my mons. Even if I took some or all of the Spd and put it in HP (because of Tailwind) he's still frail as a leaf. The 4 HP, while standard, actually lets him Hi Jump Kick into a protect or Ghost-switch-in twice and still hang on with 1 HP.

Concerning his moves, they're all pretty standard. Fake Out helps Tornadus either set up Tailwind, or either 1HKO or Taunt a threat. Hi Jump Kick is for easy, definite 1HKOs or finishers. Rock Slide is for annoying Ghosts, PLUS its nice to be able to spam a speedy 99% accurate Rock Slide sometimes as a last ditch effort to get a flinch when you've got no other hope. I know a lot of people don't use Feint on Mienshao, and for understandable reasons. I too feel naked without protect. But Feint has saved my arceus gawd knows how many times. Few people see it coming. They'll survive with 1HP and protect + target Mienshao only for me to take out the weakmon and draw attention away from his partner who smacks the unprotected mon phard. Its a choice I made that maybe not everyone would agree with, but I'll literally never use a Mienshao without Feint.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
I SWEAR IF SOMEONE POSTS HITMONTOP ZAPDOS I WILL KILL THEM WITH FIRE AND IT WILL BE QUITE PAINFUL

rotom-w @ choice specs
modest, levitate
252 hp / 252 spa / 4 spe
-hydro pump
-thunderbolt
-hidden power ice
-trick

tyranitar @ chople berry
adamant, sand stream
252 hp / 252 atk / 4 spe
-rock slide
-crunch
-low kick
-protect

this is a ridiculously solid combo that focuses on abusing the usage of common pokemon. most teams deal with tyranitar with hitmontop, metagross, scizor, or a super fast fighitng pokemon. specs rotom murders hitmontop, walls and murders metagross and scizor, and can handle stuff like terrakion and infernape. hidden power ice allow coverage on garchomp, trick for bulky support pokemon that tyranitar cant quite handle. tyranitar deals with lati@s, rotom's biggest problem.

tyranitar and rotom-w make a great combo of offensive and defensive synergy, as well as being flexible enought to not limit a team to a single strategy.

plus rotom-w is cool, look at it

its a washing machine

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Latias @ Haban Berry
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm, Levitate
-Dragon Pulse
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand
-Recover / Protect

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly, Poison Heal
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Seed Bomb
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Protect

Latias and Breloom may not seem like a super obvious pairing, but they both benefit each other greatly. Breloom can use Spore to sleep Latias's threats, and it is able to hit Tyranitar for heavy damage since both its STAB attacks are super effective. Latias is able to take down Fire and Psychic types, who both plague Breloom. However, this combo is a bit Blizzard and Ice move weak so there is some risk, although Breloom and Latios can both use their Speed to cripple opposing Blizzard users. Breloom also benefits from Icy Wind support, lowering the Speed of faster offensive threats, allowing Breloom to abuse Spore more efficiently. Helping Hand also boosts Seed Bomb and Mach Punch to give it KOs Breloom may have previously missed out on. Although this combo may be overlooked, it definitely is able to pack a punch and mess with the other team.

These Pokemon have good offensive synergy, and are both capable of taking a few hits, which makes them a worthwhile combo to consider.

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sheer Cold

Milotic @ Water Gem
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Blizzard
- Scald
- Hail
- Protect

Scarf Abomasnow is a disruptive Pokemon on its own, as many of the "conditional counters" for it (Zapdos with Heat Wave, Terrakion with Rock Slide, Hydreigon with Flamethrower) do not like getting hit by a Blizzard before they attack. However, it crumbles pretty quickly without support from a teammate. Pairing this Abomasnow with a Water-type is essential for covering fire types, plus most Water-types can make good use of Blizzard under Abomasnow's Snow Warning. Milotic is one of the more powerful Water-types in the game and its base speed is one point higher than that of Chandelure. Water Gem Scald is a clean OHKO on it even if it invests in HP rather than Speed. Since Abomasnow obviously cannot get its weather back up on its own, Milotic can use Hail to keep Blizzard's accuracy up, tear down Tyranitar's defenses, etc.

As a standalone Pokemon, Milotic is outclassed by other Water-types such as Politoed and Suicune, but this is one of the few situations in which its stats allow it to perform better than both. The main appeal to using Scarf Abomasnow over Quiet Sash Abomasnow is that Scarf Abomasnow is more easily adaptable to offensive teams due to its speed. Another partner with Fake Out, for example, does wonders for it.

Notable deficiencies:
- Milotic can take care of Chandelure pretty well, but life gets hard if Chandelure is paired with something that can stop Milotic (like Hitmontop)
- Abomasnow can't deal with Metagross at all and the best Milotic can do is burn it with Scald
- Same thing with Scizor, although it risks an OHKO from HP Fire in exchange for more severe Bullet Punch damage on Abomasnow
- The only way this pairing can stop Trick Room from getting up is with a Blizzard freeze or a successful Sheer Cold

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Mines is sort've like JRank(I wasn't gonna post it after JRank did his but meh) in using explosion and gengar but here it is(gengar and metagross):

Metagross
item:Normalgem/occa/choicescarf
adamant
Ability:Clearbody
240hp,252atk,12speed or 252atk,252speed(choice scarf only)
-Explosion
-MeteorMash
-Earthquake
-bulletpunch/Protect/ZenheadButt/trick

Well A Solid lead and a great user of explosion. When paired with gengar metagross can freely spam eq, and hit heavy with meteor mash. Though the main reason he's here is for the devestating explosion and sub combo formed with gengar. Thus quickly bringing matches to a 3-2 with gengar hiding behind a sub depending on match-up. Even without exploding metagross is still a force to fear. He's also able to synergize with most of the fliers/levitators in this metagame. Item choice is well up to you. Normal gem allows that explosion to one-shot many opponents. While occa can ensure survival vs a fire pokemon(and explosion is still quite powerful). And finally choicescarf if you want that very quick explosion(this would've worked extremely well with 4th genmechanics) or just prefer to attack 1st. With a scarf you can use trick to potentially cripple one opponent.

Now theirs gengar:

Gengar
Timid
Ability:Levitate
Item:Lifeorb/ghostgem

-Shadowball
-Focusblast
-Substitute
-Protect/thunderbolt/Sludgebomb

The next half and a very overlooked pokemon. Being a ghost type gengar has that annoying weakness to suckerpunch. Substitute can remedy this by making it fail giving metagross a chance to go boom, or in certain cases just to stall using sub and protect so gengars partner/metagross can weaken em, or even stall out trickroom. Gengar also adds that beloved 110 speed allowing it to tie with alot of things and get the jump on many of the slower pokemon notably the terrakion. Who with a combo of focusblast and bp can ko terra (considering it has chople and/or focus sash). Behind a sub gengars is normally guaranteed a ko and beats fellow opponent in the base 110's without having to flip a coin

Hitmontop + Zapdos
I'll top that combo. This something that I pulled from my RMT. Ever since I made this duo, many a person has lost their will to fight within 2 turns at most.

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Moves:
  • Spore
  • Seed Bomb
  • Mach Punch
  • Rock Slide

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 132 Sp. Def, 124 Def
Moveset:
  • Close Combat
  • Fling
  • Rock Slide
  • Fake Out
The aim of this combo is to allow Breloom to spam Spore while Hariyama sweeps. Thanks to the Choice Scarf and Jolly Nature, Breloom outruns all pokes with a base speed of 130. Hariyama makes one opponent Flinch with Fake Out while Breloom puts the other pokemon to sleep with Spore. It's like a pseudo-Dark Void, but more reliable as far as accuracy is concerned.

If using Spore is a bad idea (and it normally isn't), that's what his offensive moves are for. Seed Bomb gives him a solid STAB to use and kills Gastrodon. Mach Punch gives him a useful Priority move to use if he's ever caught in Trick Room and keeps people in the dark about what item he's holding.

Weaknesses:
  • If you can stop the first Spore, you'll be fine. Skillful use of Protect or a pokemon faster than Scarfed Breloom with Fake Out support are this combo's banes.

JRank

Jonny
If someone could clarify for me, should we just nominate cores or are we allowed to make other nominations look bad so ours gets picked comment on other cores to see what can be improved? I think new(er) users may be intimidated, because right now (with the exception of alaka's post), everyone has posted a core and not everyone can come up with a great core very quickly. If we're just supposed to post cores, that's fine, but if someone could clarify for me that'd be great.
also muffinhead wtf this is supposed to be forgotten wonders not pick 2 of the top15

EDIT: ok, thanks for clearing that up makiri

Scraftuniclus

Reuniclus@Life Orb
Magic Guard
Quiet
252 HP, 52 def, 10 sp atk, 196 sp def

Trick Room
Psychic
Focus Blast
Protect

Scrafty@Expert Belt
Moxie
252 Hp, 6 def 252 atk,
Brave

Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Fake Out

This is an excellent way to set up TR. FO users choose whether to negate Scrafty's FO, or stop the use of TR. Scizor is the most notable counter here, and Escavalier isn't quite as common but would be an even better counter in most cases.

I got convinced to say a legitimate combination.
We all know one person can not be the best team builder so group effort might make it better. In addition to that we need to come up with nicknames for this team as nicknames give character to Pokemon and what better way to show the spirit!

Latias @ Haban Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 12 SAtk / 204 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Role Play
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Substitute

Spinda @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Icy Wind
- Fake Tears
- Trick

Later is now. The idea behind this is to easily Role Play your Spinda using your Latias. This will allow you to use Draco Meteor with benefits instead of becoming -2 you get +2 and with Fake Tears you can go either more aggressive or you can target yourself after Role Play which is the same thing as giving yourself an Amnesia boost. Once set up this is very powerful and difficult to take down due to the bulk. Icy Wind helps Latias because Latias is bulky and slow too. Fake Out is just to make it easier to Role Play. This Spinda fits the support role very well while letting allies become near unstoppable tanks as they quickly get stronger and stronger.

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
If someone could clarify for me, should we just nominate cores or are we allowed to make other nominations look bad so ours gets picked comment on other cores to see what can be improved? I think new(er) users may be intimidated, because right now (with the exception of alaka's post), everyone has posted a core and not everyone can come up with a great core very quickly. If we're just supposed to post cores, that's fine, but if someone could clarify for me that'd be great.

also muffinhead wtf this is supposed to be forgotten wonders not pick 2 of the top15
If you have any comments or suggestions for a posted core, feel free to comment about it After the voting step I may leave room to improve upon our original core for things like EVs and moves, so don't be afraid to mention things that you feel could be improved in other cores.

I SWEAR IF SOMEONE POSTS HITMONTOP ZAPDOS I WILL KILL THEM WITH FIRE AND IT WILL BE QUITE PAINFUL

rotom-w @ choice specs
modest, levitate
252 hp / 252 spa / 4 spe
-hydro pump
-thunderbolt
-hidden power ice
-trick
glad to see someone else likes choicetom! i usually run scarf with timid, but w/e

I was going to post mine, but i don't remember the EVs and such, so i'll just wait on that for right now. Maybe someone else will come along and post it!

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I guess I'll chip in something for the thread:

Slowking @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 172 SAtk / 16 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

EVs allow it to survive a Tyranitar Crunch. Wacan Berry preferred to not die to Gem Thunderbolts that are thrown around every so often. Fire Blast helps against Ferrothorn who otherwise walks all over these two. Psychic for a STAB move when Surf is not viable. Own Tempo is used since in all battles I used this, Slowking never switched out making Regenerator useless.

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 132 HP / 92 Def / 220 SAtk / 64 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Earth Power
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Protect

EVs give a bit more survivability than simply adding in 252 HP, although there does end up being 4 EVs wasted. Sitrus Berry allows it to survive two hits from a wide variety of Pokemon, although it leaves Gastrodon vulnerable to Grass attacks. The Moves it has are pretty straightforward.

A pretty self-explanatory Trick Room combination. Slowking powers up Gastrodon with Surfs, Gastrodon attacks with Muddy Water. Trick Room will make them pretty likely to move before either of the opponent Pokemon. The two don't necessarily have to lead off together at the time of setup. Slowking can use Trick Room with some sort of Fake Out/Follow Me support, then the other Pokemon can switch out to Gastrodon while Slowking uses Surf on the next turn. Surf followed by boosted Muddy Waters hit hard and can punish protect stalling without any good plans, as Gastrodon proceeds to become stronger with every passing turn.

Can be stopped by preventing Trick Room, naturally. If Trick Room gets set up, Grass Pokemon like Ludicolo or Ferrothorn are good candidates for causing some trouble to the duo. Rotom-W can wall pretty well and try to take out Slowking before Gastrodon can get much set up, assuming the Wacan was used up already. Sucker Punch can also deter Slowking from setting up Gastrodon with Surf.

Archeops@flying gem
jolly(+speed,-sp.atk)
EV's: 252 speed/252 attack
-rock slide
-leer/quick guard
-earthquake
-acrobatics

Terrakion@choice band/scarf
jolly (+speed,-sp.atk)
Evs:252 attack/252 speed
-rock slide
-close combat
-helpng hand
-earthquake

Basically it lets you give each opponent a 60% chance of flinching each turn, as most pokemon used often dont outrun them. Archeops can leer to make both opposing pokemon easier to kill with terrakion's attacks while terrakion can earthqauke without hitting its ally. I know, steel and water seem like suicide to this, but most water or steel types cant outspeed either of these, and archeops acrobatics or terrakions closecombat combined with the other ones rock slide or earthquake should dispose of them or leave them extremely crippled, and archeops' quick guard prevents scizor's bullet punch from doing harm. They counter all their weaknesses as well.

IntimidateTop + MultiscaleNite?

Hitmontop @ Eject Button
Intimidate
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Detect
- Close Combat

Standard Hitmontop set. Fake Out plus eject button means it's able to come in later and do intimidate again, this allows it to help weaken more physicaly inclined pokes *Cough*Garchomp*Cough*. Sucker Punch is more priority and Latios + other Psychics are not enjoying this attack. Detect for obvious protection move (I think this is legal with available moves, if not add protect (haven't actually tried looking yet...)). Close Combat is strong STAB. Plus if you are still in after first turn (Aka opponent targets the multiscale dragonite) you can Close Combat and if you live you are able to restore your stats if you survive a hit after Close Combat's stat drop.

Dragonite @ .... (Uh, coming up with this at some point soon)
MultiScale
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed (Changed after seeing how effective it is)
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Ok overlook the fact I can't decide which item, this can be thought up later if need be. MultiScale and its decent bulk allows it to survive a ton of hits and makes it nearly impossible to OHKO (I don't think anything can (that's viable in vgc) but I may be wrong). Extreme Speed has great power and priority makes it good for killing off weakened pokes. Fire Punch hits walls of steels (Plus a slight burn chance is always helpful). Dragon Claw is reliable STAB. And protect is obligatory saftey.

Essentially this just weakens the opponents physical pokemon if they are physical, Dragonite soaks up lots of damage, then Hitmontop has priority to mess with the opponent before its item goes off and allows you to safely use it again for later use with fake out or intimidate if need be.

Edit: Or if Indimidate doesn't seem good enough standard priority Top can be used. Just swap the Speed and Hp Evs, Then Close Combat out for Mach Punch.

Edit the 2nd: Don't have time to rewrite but I'm just gonna say... Technician Top I mentioned earlier is fare better.

makiri

Since that seems like all we will get I will be putting the cores to a vote later today.

Gallade @ White Herb
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Steadfast
EVs:252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Def
Moveset:
Zen Headbutt
Close Combat
Helping Hand
Trick Room

With this set, I can imeadiately start offensive, or stall an opponent's Trick Room set up.I also run into T-Wave Cressilia a lot, so if both of my pokemon happen to be Paralyzed, TR takes advantage of that. Intimitop is one of the most used pokemon, so to remedy that, Zen Headbutt will almost always OHKO it(if it doesn't KO it, I can kill it off with Gallade's ally). Though it doesn't get me my OHKO on ChoppleTar, Close Combat is still noteable for picking off other threats such as Terrakion and Abomasnow. Helping Hand makes effecive work out of it's lead partner's Heat Wave, as well as another ally's Rock Slide. With a pathetic Speed, there was no reason to invest in Speed, which is why I run the EV set I run(any Speed increases will have to come from a Fake Out lead or Flinch-you-to-death Togekiss).

Salamence @ Yache Berry
Nature:Timid
Ability:Intimidate
EVs:252 Spattack,252 Speed,4 HP
Moveset:
Protect
Dragon Pulse
Heat Wave
Hydro Pump

Salamence makes a great Intimidate lead, while being unaffected by the opponent's Intimidate as well(due to being a Special attacker, rather than Physical). With Hydro Pump, Salamence is able to counter most threats that come along with Sandstorm. After a boost from Helping Hand, Dragon Pulse becomesas powerful powerful as Draco Meteor(assuming the only thing boosting Draco Meteor is STAB). Heat Wave is Salamence's only Special move that hits both of the opponent's pokemon while leaving it's ally untouched. A big problem for Salamence is Rock, Ice and Dragon. It can handle Dragons, while Gallade fends off against it's other two weaknesses via Close Combat(and resistance to Rock).

Tyranitar @ the fighting berry (forgot the name)
Nature: Brave
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 ATK / 56 HP / 200 SP.D
~Protect
~Rock Slide
~Crunch
~Earthquake

The main purpose of this here pokemon is, pretty obviously, to set up sand and be a potential offensive threat.
Crunch is useful for taking out pokemon like Cresselia and other threats weak against dark moves. Rock Slide is obviously the offensive move of choice for the purpose of hitting both pokemon and having STAB. With Levitate/flying type or protect earthquake can be quite useful on this here Ttar.

Claydol @ Light Clay
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 200 HP / 160 DEF / 148 SP.D
~Trick Room
~Light Screen
~Reflect
~Psychic/Psyshock

Assuming the opponent doesn't fake out Claydol it can be very effective for setting up TR and then the screens. Having Ttar protect on the first turn and setting up TR makes for a good turn 1 combo that can mess with your opponent. After TR is set up it offers great support with the screens and the light clay to make the screens stick around even longer. Once the screens have been set up you can start attacking with either Psychic or Psyshock depending on your preference. Also worth noting is the ability levitate which allows Ttar to use EQ without worry of hitting Claydol.

makiri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)