Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible for individual teams to have their own rankings? Like this - instead of one ranking overall for OU and ALL your OU teams combined, Team 1 in your account has X ranking, and team 2 has Y ranking, and so on. I don't know how possible or complex this would be programming-side, and it'll probably only be able to happen when teams are synced by account like I understand is the plan. If it is possible, it would make ladder-runs with ideas easier, and practically eliminate the need for alts for individual teams and challenges (by challenges, I mean things in the forums like using an underused OU Pokemon in a team and getting as high on the ladder as you can).

Just a thought I had in the shower, where I do my most profound thinking.

The anti-bot question should be "Who's that Pokémon?" instead of "What is this pokemon?" for obvious reasons. Also note the capital P and accented é.

Is it possible to use the old timer (chess clock style) ala Shoddy/PO? I've run into players who constantly run down the clock and take 3 minutes a turn just to spite the other player.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Is it possible to use the old timer (chess clock style) ala Shoddy/PO? I've run into players who constantly run down the clock and take 3 minutes a turn just to spite the other player.
This might be a bug. It should be impossible to take 3 minutes a turn for more than one turn.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The anti-bot question should be "Who's that Pokémon?" instead of "What is this pokemon?" for obvious reasons. Also note the capital P and accented é.
If you look at the Smogon Spelling and Grammar Standards:
Spelling and Grammar Standards said:
You may use the pronoun "who" instead of "which" or "that" and use "he" or "she" to refer to Pokemon as people if you so desire.
In other words, Pokemon may be referred to as "its/objects" as well as persons ("he/she"). "What" or "Who" are both correct.
Also note that the Pokemon TV show uses "What's that Pokemon?" rather than "Who's that Pokemon", lol.
Spelling and Grammar Standards said:
Pokemon should be spelled without the accent.
Enough said.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Writing "pokemon" lowercase and without accent is my personal stylistic preference, one reflected pretty much everywhere in PS. Namely, that I prefer to distinguish "Pokemon" the franchise and "pokemon" the titular creatures by capitalization.

While, for several reasons, it is proper for Nintendo, its subsidiaries, and its representatives to use "Pokémon", I am personally under no such obligation.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
yeah but but but

it's.... PIKACHU

also woody you're wrong the phrase is definitely 'who's that pokemon'

You should still be able to see your party pokémon even if you are trapped. Some people have used Sturdy Magnezone, or something similar in the past, based on the fact that the opponent would just assume he was trapped and not even attempt switching. Altough it may not be common, players should have the ability to try this kind of bluff. In addition to that, it would also better reflect the cartridge mechanics, wich only warn you that you cannot switch out when you try to do so. Basically, you should only be told you can't switch out after you try to.

Apart from being able to save replays,

it would be nice if you could pause them. And awesome if you could use scrolling to go forward/back while its paused O:....

For specific users, there's a /ignore option.
Yes but some people like me play a lot more comfortable when I don't have to worry about your opponent or spectators talking in the middle of the battle, if the option /ignore everybody is possible then i'm satisfied.

When you win by timeout PS currently says "[opponent who left] lost because of their inactivity." Since you only have one opponent and if both players leave the match ends in a tie anyway, it should say something akin to '[opponent who left] lost because of his or her inactivity."

Edit: Fine, you have a point Pwnemon (and it's not something that bugs me that much, I'm just used to having to deal with people who do care about things like that when I write things). What about simply "[opponent who left] lost because of inactivity." That's not clunky and avoids technically using an incorrect pronoun.

Edit2: And I will definitely admit this isn't anywhere near the most important thing to worry about (and I'm not an English major). Also, thank you for causing me to look up anal retentiveness. It's a cool term and doesn't mean anything close to what I thought it would.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
When you win by timeout PS currently says "[opponent who left] lost because of their inactivity." Since you only have one opponent and if both players leave the match ends in a tie anyway, it should say something akin to '[opponent who left] lost because of his or her inactivity."
"their" is commonly accepted to be a gender-neutral third person singular pronoun. Therefore, the difference between the actual script and your suggested script is that the former was written by your average person, and the latter by a semantics-obsessed english major with an extreme case of anal retentiveness.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A bit unimportant, but it'd be nice if /data would also display the stats raised and lowered by natures (that is, "/data timid" would show what timid does to stats).

Don't know if it's been said already, but I think unrated varients of each tier would be appreciated. It would be more friendly on testing, as having a bad start won't butcher your ladder ranking.
Not replying to fatsnorlax, I just wanted to point out that this is a great suggestion that could easily be implemented. :)

Just have an alt for testing.

If we were to have a ladder for testing then that ladder would not accurately represent the real ladder and you wouldn't really be testing against the kind of teams you'd see on the real tier. You'd just be fighting other garbage test teams. It makes far more sense for everyone if you just use an alt.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this goes here or in Bug Reports...

Chatter isn't implemented correctly, apparently. According to /data, "31% chance to confuse the target." In this page here it explains that in 5th gen, the confusion chance could only either be 10% or 0%, depending on the volume. Yeah, it's Bulba, but I'd trust them on this. No one uses it, sure, but might as well make it correct.

EDIT: Found out that Bulba was wrong. Figures.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It would be nice if you could implement a way that you couldn't play the same person twice in a row. I fought somebody three times this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)