Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello again to all of you. How've you been doing? How've I been doing? I've been busy over in CAP with Cawmodore's sprite/animation, but I've gotten myself the time to make Mega Aggron sprites as well. Those sprites were up on the spreadsheet quite a few days ago. o3o If you need help with the back sprite's pose and tail, they'll be there (until their potential replacing).

I'm very glad that aXl and TeraVolt are helping with unfinished Mega Evolutions! I will reiterate: no sprites at all are far less appealing than 'wow, that's pretty good but not perfect' sprites. What's even more wasteful is having multiple, talented spriters all trying to refine a sprite under their own impressions of perfection. I "get" this, but make sure that you and other spriters "get" it as well! There is no need to make a completely new sprite if there is merely minor QC required of an original.

Now, let me mention animations. Foremost, If you think that a sprite will be edited in the future--by checking the spreadsheet, ahem--please don't invest the time yet. If this sprite you're animating has been approved by Layell and Wyverii, then you've got a go-ahead, though be aware that other people may continue to QC/replace the sprite regardless of animation approval.

Let's say you've gotten to the point where you've made a set of sprite animations. The first criterion to check is that it fits Gen. V's style. Our Gen. VI sprites are intended to remain consistent with Gen. V sprites, which includes animation quality. In almost any other setting, bicubic rotations and non-anti-aliased transformations would be a poor choice, compared to frame-by-frame drawing, for animation. However, that is exactly the style of Gen. V sprites! Jagged pixel outlines on animated frames are what we want! There is, remarkably, a thing such as 'too good' for animations--and this is why, unfortunately, ekurepu's/eclep's smooth animations will not be implemented.

I see many animations here that are animated in short 'pulses' rather than with moving segments in each frame. Granted, some in-game sprites' animations are jerkier than usual, but if you take a GIF of a random Gen. V sprite, please note how many unique frames are used for each normal idle loop. I prefer an average of ten frames, animated at 0.13 SPF (seconds per frame)--twenty for 'rare' animations. If your animation has fewer than that many frames or more than that many SPF, try tweening in some frames and/or adjusting the SPF accordingly and compare that to the rate of animation of in-game sprites. Pokecheck has a wonderful database, if you need to mass-compare animations. Some GIFs on PS! are animated too quickly or slowly, so they are not completely reliable as reference.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a note I am fine with making wing animations not suck and be better than BW style, see Talonflame. Another note is while I tend to be the decider in terms or which sprites, I do listen to reason. I am not interested in ego boosting myself but somebody has to pick, the less people step on each other toes on the same one the easier it is on me too :D

Speaking of which I am the most biased against one mon in general, Helioptile. I enjoy Seiku's because it isn't completely ridiculous looking with the eyes. I don't really like this mon in general. Now I'm not telling everyone to go and tournament style competition a Helioptile, but I need some consensus on that bugger when we get a complete front/back QC cause I will stick to Seiku's unless other people tell me to change.

I'm also interested in doing a sort of "spritecast" on the smogon youtube where we do an Art Attack style video showing how we started from one sprite and ended up with where we are now. It might be fun, and it would be more fun if I had other voices.

also:
23:08 Layell: well
23:09 Layell: if we finish every animation and Wyv hasn't shown up
23:09 Layell: every ready animation
23:09 Layell: I'll selectively push ones that I think are ready
23:09 Legitimate_Username: yes thank you
23:09 Layell: and consider if I want someone else to carry animation veto

I'm going to send in an update now to PS.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah. We are running low on pokemon to animate so I agree with keeping the flow going

Pretty much redoing Helioptile's sprite, since the original had incorrect proportions and colors

Old

New
I knew there was a nice version of helioptile around here somewhere but had to dig for it. Think all this guy really needs is a back sprite because it looks pretty good and sad to see it go to waste.

If everyone's having issues with the current Helioptile sprite, I was considering doing a remake as a short side project after Frogadier, since I'm planning on taking a break from Mega Aggron until the week's schoolwork has blown over. I could always try my hand at it and see what comes of it.

Spritecast sounds interesting. Not sure how it'd work, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in action.

Quanyails Your backsprite does give me some ideas. Bummer I couldn't have had it pulled up before I made my own, as I only just realized that a copy-paste error was preventing me from seeing it, and not a broken link. +/

Anywho, aside from that, carry on as usual, everybody.

EDIT: ito Arkeis made a new Helioptile sprite way back on page 33, but I have no idea if the sizing is right on it, and it lacks a backsprite. So yeah. His is shown below, btw.

Last edited:
squid QC

Concerns about the chart... I redid Dragalge a few weeks ago, and the new sprites were uploaded to Showdown and placed on the chart. In the Spriter box, it said "Quanyails" and my name. However, my name has now vanished, and the links have reverted to the old versions. What's the meaning of this? I don't know who made the change, but I just want to know why. It isn't very nice to go behind my back... I hope that whoever did it did so in ignorance, rather than out of spite. What really doesn't make sense to me is that these are the old sprites, which our mod agreed to be inadequate through the act of replacing them in an update, so I'm confused.

That's fine. It should be LU we should be apologizing to anyways =P

Here's my redo of that eye.

And that's a great inkay so far, atm!

QC= Quality control if I'm correct. I made that fennekin from scratch, so its not a QC. And yeah, I would really appreciate it if you QC my fennekin =)

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh, I'll admit I wasn't totally happy with Malamar backsprite anyways. I remember paintseagull drew a reference image for it, and while it was nice looking and all, it REALLY matched up poorly with the front. It's way too fat, the hair looks off, and the feet don't make a whole lot of sense. I think a backsprite based on the silhouette of the front would be much better, with paintseagull's drawing simply as a reference rather than being used for a pixel-over.

Also, I know it's not easy, but while you're editing it, please give the hair EIGHT TENTACLES. This goes especially for the backsprite where it's more obvious, and I figure that the frontsprite could incorporate it as well. Real life squids have eight tentacles. This is one of Malamar's distinct features. It was one of my biggest problems with the sprite.

Anyways princessofmusic, as for a back reference, this isn't ideal, but it's the best I could manage. At least it's something.

Last edited:
Let's see....references...have one in my PokéDex, so let's see if this shows up right.

Anyway, made a few small edits to the Helioptile sprite by Arkeis above (trying to sort out the eyes), in addition to a tiny edit to the Heliolisk (the eyes for both are the same in terms of colours, so the very light blue on Heliolisk looked out of place).
Helioptiles.png
heliolisk.png

Last edited:

So these are basically wrapped up now. I'm not sure I like what I had to pull off with the feet on the backsprite, so maybe someone else could see about those? Aside from that, comments and critiques would be appreciated. (Urk, just noticed I pulled the unupdated color pallet, I'll fix when I get home.)

Also, now that I've actually checked Helioptile's height, it should be on-par with Pokemon like Chimchar and Rufflet, with Elgyem being on the larger side of the 1'08" spectrum. I feel that currently it looks a bit big with Arkeis's pose, as its head is bigger lengthwise than Elgyem's. Especially considering GameFreak's habit of making height mean length (godamnit Eelektross was extremely depressing to see this game) I we might need a resizing to put it more on-par with other first-forms in its size category. Unless anyone else wants to take that underhand, I'll probably check and see what I can do with it tomorrow.

So these are basically wrapped up now. I'm not sure I like what I had to pull off with the feet on the backsprite, so maybe someone else could see about those? Aside from that, comments and critiques would be appreciated. (Urk, just noticed I pulled the unupdated color pallet, I'll fix when I get home.)

Also, now that I've actually checked Helioptile's height, it should be on-par with Pokemon like Chimchar and Rufflet, with Elgyem being on the larger side of the 1'08" spectrum. I feel that currently it looks a bit big with Arkeis's pose, as its head is bigger lengthwise than Elgyem's. Especially considering GameFreak's habit of making height mean length (godamnit Eelektross was extremely depressing to see this game) I we might need a resizing to put it more on-par with other first-forms in its size category. Unless anyone else wants to take that underhand, I'll probably check and see what I can do with it tomorrow.
Taken care of that colouring for you:
Frogadier.png
frogadierback.png

I don't think Helioptile needs a massive reduction in size, but I'll admit it does look rather large compared to Pokémon like Chimchar and Rufflet (heck, it looks large compared to it's evo).

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nice stuff Legitimate Username Think the only thing I would change is make his tail go up a little higher during the rare animation. Other than that, its great.

So I finished fixing vivllion's lower right wing in the backsprite. Just made it neater so it was an easy fix.

vivllion-back.gif

Ugh. I'm being swamped with tests and projects since its getting kind of close to the end of the semester so I'm probably going to be making animations at a slower rate. >.< But I'll keep working on other animations when ever I can squeeze in some free time.

Made some edits to viperdk1's Helioptile. Pretty much just changed the size.
For comparison
Viper's(left) and mine(right):

EDIT:
Made a fix to his (back) legs and mouth

Last edited:
Made some edits to viperdk1's Helioptile. Pretty much just changed the size.
For comparison
Viper's(left) and mine(right):
I kind of like the size change... The only thing is it seems a little drastic? All the features are so small now, he's sitting on bird feet D: His mouth is a bit crooked as well, but I think that's just one extra pixel causing it.

I took a shot at colouring Hawlucha.
Recolor.png
Recolor back.png

Looks good to me but for all I know I'm colourblind.

Do note that I did mess with the iris some because I couldn't fill it in in a way that felt right with the original. I assume someone else can make it work, I just couldn't.

New Pancham, I made it pose differently now

Lemme know what you guys think

EDIT: Made a backsprite as well, but I think I need help with it...

This looks cool but on the frontsprite shouldn't the eyes move a bit to the right a little bit?
It should be looking at the enemy, not something off to the side.

sunny004 said:
This looks cool but on the frontsprite shouldn't the eyes move a bit to the right a little bit?
It should be looking at the enemy, not something off to the side
Well, I'm not too sure really, but I can go ahead and try!

And LU, I think I'll give a shot to animating the new malamar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)