5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Thank you! That was really helpful. Follow-up because I got impatient and started looking for other seeds with a different starting nature and settled on Jolly -- I'm now trying for Timid, Hasty, or Naive Thundurus and went with "mash A after walking out of the house until the rain is gone, catch it, and check" during a summer month method, changing the seed I was using each time. I did not hit any of those +speed natures out of my attempts, but consistently hit my IVs (obv trying for HP Ice).

Does the above mean that I can delay my hitting A by a second or two and generate different natures but the same IV spread, or should I try the same method but instead save inside the house +1 times? Or, alternately, just keep rolling the dice and hoping I hit a different frame (or is the correct term in this case PID) since I have a 3/25 chance? My worry is that for whatever reason delaying hitting A while it's raining will have some effect on my IV seed.

I'm sure these questions have been answered to death, so I apologize that I raise them.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thank you! That was really helpful. Follow-up because I got impatient and started looking for other seeds with a different starting nature and settled on Jolly -- I'm now trying for Timid, Hasty, or Naive Thundurus and went with "mash A after walking out of the house until the rain is gone, catch it, and check" during a summer month method, changing the seed I was using each time. I did not hit any of those +speed natures out of my attempts, but consistently hit my IVs (obv trying for HP Ice).

Does the above mean that I can delay my hitting A by a second or two and generate different natures but the same IV spread, or should I try the same method but instead save inside the house +1 times? Or, alternately, just keep rolling the dice and hoping I hit a different frame (or is the correct term in this case PID) since I have a 3/25 chance? My worry is that for whatever reason delaying hitting A while it's raining will have some effect on my IV seed.

I'm sure these questions have been answered to death, so I apologize that I raise them.
Glad it helped :) Either method will work for your Thundurus (I'm assuming you're not going for a shiny). The weather makes it hard to hit the exact same frame each time anyway, so "just rolling the dice" is certainly viable. You can certainly try to figure out where you're landing, and roughly advance to the correct frame by saving, but I'm not sure which method would really be faster. Depends on how consistent you are in spamming A. You're right, you'd be trying to hit a different frame (although the PID usually varies with the frame so hitting a different PID is also valid). If you're really having bad luck, you might just want to stick with the same seed and go with the saving method.

It won't affect the IV frames, so feel free to delay hitting A during the rain to get a different nature. Keep at it though, and you'll get it eventually.

I've been delaying capture of my Thundurus by one second of rain each iteration and consistently get the same nature when I don't wait out the full extra second. For whatever reason, I thought the nature advanced more frequently per second in rain. The only exception to this is I got Hardy "Often dozes off" and Hardy "Capable of taking hits" [iirc, it was that or somewhat vain]; hitting the same second of delay consistently produces Quiet (with my first frame), and so on and so forth to second 22 where I've hit Hardy (in the Seed adjacent, if I start the game too soon from the Hardy frame, I get a Timid troll frame w/ bad IVs).

If I have been keeping tabs on what natures I'm getting, I should be able to follow when/where I'll hit my Timid frame, correct? Is that by doing what you recommended with the Zekrom's PID search?

I've been delaying capture of my Thundurus by one second of rain each iteration and consistently get the same nature when I don't wait out the full extra second. For whatever reason, I thought the nature advanced more frequently per second in rain. The only exception to this is I got Hardy "Often dozes off" and Hardy "Capable of taking hits" [iirc, it was that or somewhat vain]; hitting the same second of delay consistently produces Quiet (with my first frame), and so on and so forth to second 22 where I've hit Hardy (in the Seed adjacent, if I start the game too soon from the Hardy frame, I get a Timid troll frame w/ bad IVs).

If I have been keeping tabs on what natures I'm getting, I should be able to follow when/where I'll hit my Timid frame, correct? Is that by doing what you recommended with the Zekrom's PID search?
All evidences from the more recent studies point to that the advancement is not affected by length of the delay at least within a significant margin(>1s), but is only dependent on the starting frame.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Exactly. It will be the same process as what I described before, but you should choose "Roaming Pokemon" rather than stationary in the encounter type. It appears, though, that I may have mislead you before with delaying hitting A. My apologies.

Edit: Another difference will be that you won't start at the frame the reporter tells you. Here's a table of the typical starting frame ranges (the weather is in addition to that induced by the roamer)
  • No Weather Present: 550-750
  • Rain Present: 1500-1900
  • Snow Present (Winter Only): 260-300
All evidences from the more recent studies point to that the advancement is not affected by length of the delay at least within a significant margin(>1s), but is only dependent on the starting frame.
Thank you for the clarification. Are you saying that the rain induced by the roamer advances the frame by a certain amount each time, regardless of how long it is raining? Or am I really off the mark? I have read in guides that the rain advances it by ~60 fps, hence my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Exactly. It will be the same process as what I described before, but you should choose "Roaming Pokemon" rather than stationary in the encounter type. It appears, though, that I may have mislead you before with delaying hitting A. My apologies.

Edit: Another difference will be that you won't start at the frame the reporter tells you. Here's a table of the typical starting frame ranges (the weather is in addition to that induced by the roamer)
  • No Weather Present: 550-750
  • Rain Present: 1500-1900
  • Snow Present (Winter Only): 260-300

Thank you for the clarification. Are you saying that the rain induced by the roamer advances the frame by a certain amount each time, regardless of how long it is raining? Or am I really off the mark? I have read in guides that the rain advances it by ~60 fps, hence my misunderstanding.
Chances are that the number of frames advanced from each starting frame is constant regardless of how long the rain would actually last.
In practice it means you dont need 1 to be exact in your timing going through the dialogue 2 test every starting frame more than once.
However, no method is known to predict the exact advancement every initial frame calls. You just do your advancements 1 by 1 inside the house to approach the target.
For example, if your target is 1200, and making 5 advancements inside the house takes you to 950, then you try 200 advancements next time. This brings you to 1100, then you try 250. Now you find yourself at 1180, you can now test each frame until you either hit the target or not until hitting above 1220, when you can conclude that the target frame is skipped. Typically its safe to assume a +-20 margin

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Chances are that the number of frames advanced from each starting frame is constant regardless of how long the rain would actually last.
In practice it means you dont need 1 to be exact in your timing going through the dialogue 2 test every starting frame more than once.
However, no method is known to predict the exact advancement every initial frame calls. You just do your advancements 1 by 1 inside the house to approach the target.
For example, if your target is 1200, and making 5 advancements inside the house takes you to 950, then you try 200 advancements next time. This brings you to 1100, then you try 250. Now you find yourself at 1180, you can now test each frame until you either hit the target or not until hitting above 1220, when you can conclude that the target frame is skipped. Typically its safe to assume a +-20 margin
Oh, ok. Thanks for such a thorough explanation! Just two questions: When you say "starting frame," you mean the frame at which you exit the house? I just want to make sure. Also, if the advances are constant from each starting frame, why do you need to assume a 20 frame margin? If 250 puts you at 1180, and say 255 puts you at 1201 (after testing all of the frames in between), can you not assume that the target frame has been skipped? Thanks again!

Edit: Ah, perhaps it's relatively constant, as indicated by your post saying that a delay >1 sec has essentially no extra affect?

Last edited:
Oh, ok. Thanks for such a thorough explanation! Just two questions: When you say "starting frame," you mean the frame at which you exit the house? I just want to make sure. Also, if the advances are constant from each starting frame, why do you need to assume a 20 frame margin? If 250 puts you at 1180, and say 255 puts you at 1201 (after testing all of the frames in between), can you not assume that the target frame has been skipped? Thanks again!

Edit: Ah, perhaps it's relatively constant, as indicated by your post saying that a delay >1 sec has essentially no extra affect?
1.yes.
2.I d continue until I hit at least 2 frames i a row above 1220.
In other words, frame~initial + (hypothetical fixed advancement rate) + deviation(+-20) ,
and in the above example assume deviation=0 at 250, then at 255 itd be +16 (1180+5+16=1201) , which is within the acceptable range.
The next frame in this case might still have a deviation<16, which d take you back a few frames.
However if you hit >1220 twice in a row however, then its highly unlikely, that the difference in deviation between the next frame And either of them is >20, (which d be the only way the next frame d bring you 20 frames back.

The frame doesn't advance in the house at all, correct?
I'm trying to advance my frame by saving, but I keep getting the same natures. No laptop handy to see if there's a pattern though. :/

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
when are IV's set for Latios in B2? When you first encounter it in the dreamyard? Or when you reach it at the top of the platform?
IVs are already set depending on what seed you hit (like if you hit the right Timer0)...
PID is determined when you reach the top platform (NPCs might advance it needlessly)

B2W2 are so ridiculously hard. I've reset 30+ times now and I cant hit a single seed I aim for (listening to dual chatot cries for verification). Have never had a problem RNGing on Platinum, HG or BW.

B2W2... I can't hit anything.

In B1W1, how do I ensure that the frame that the time finder says is shiny, ends up being shiny when I hatch the egg. It seems that RNGReporter can tell me that on "X Frame" will be a shiny pokemon, however once I input the corresponding seed into the main window and after I enter my Trainer ID and my Secret ID, the "!!!" box that signifies that frame will be shiny is no longer a shiny frame.

Does anyone know why? Everything else about the pokemon has the same details as the seed in the time finder window, but it's like as soon as I enter the TID and SID, the shininess box isn't checked on the main window anymore.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
1.yes.
2.I d continue until I hit at least 2 frames i a row above 1220.
In other words, frame~initial + (hypothetical fixed advancement rate) + deviation(+-20) ,
and in the above example assume deviation=0 at 250, then at 255 itd be +16 (1180+5+16=1201) , which is within the acceptable range.
The next frame in this case might still have a deviation<16, which d take you back a few frames.
However if you hit >1220 twice in a row however, then its highly unlikely, that the difference in deviation between the next frame And either of them is >20, (which d be the only way the next frame d bring you 20 frames back.
I get it now. Thanks! :)

The frame doesn't advance in the house at all, correct?
I'm trying to advance my frame by saving, but I keep getting the same natures. No laptop handy to see if there's a pattern though. :/
Correct, iirc (don't have the game handy right now). I think all of the people in the house are stationary.

In B1W1, how do I ensure that the frame that the time finder says is shiny, ends up being shiny when I hatch the egg. It seems that RNGReporter can tell me that on "X Frame" will be a shiny pokemon, however once I input the corresponding seed into the main window and after I enter my Trainer ID and my Secret ID, the "!!!" box that signifies that frame will be shiny is no longer a shiny frame.

Does anyone know why? Everything else about the pokemon has the same details as the seed in the time finder window, but it's like as soon as I enter the TID and SID, the shininess box isn't checked on the main window anymore.
Do you have the right profile selected in the time finder/the right ID's entered in correctly? Are all of the appropriate boxes checked in both windows, especially the "shiny only" box in the time finder (seems like it is)? Did you choose Breeding (BW) as the method in the main window? Just some thoughts. If none are those are right, can you post a screenshot of both windows, please? Based on the fact that it sounds like you are putting your id's in later, you might not be finding a shiny frame corresponding to your actual TID/SID.

Do you know how? I heard that the unova key system advances it by a set number of frames, but I'm not sure how to interpret that into the PPRNG.
Derptips: If yd show a screenshot, even those who dont regularly use pprng would also be able to help you.

Btw you cant accually use the unova link's spinner itself for anything other than dream radar iirc, as yd have to quit UL and reload the title screen, whichl likely change the seed, before you can re-enter the games overworld to capture your poke.

I'm trying to calibrate my DSlite parameters for Pokemon Black, but every time I hit calibrate after typing everything in nothing appears, what could I be doing wrong? (I am using the Sweet Scent Method, if that helps)

Derptips: If yd show a screenshot, even those who dont regularly use pprng would also be able to help you.

Btw you cant accually use the unova link's spinner itself for anything other than dream radar iirc, as yd have to quit UL and reload the title screen, whichl likely change the seed, before you can re-enter the games overworld to capture your poke.
Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

Here's a screenshot.
Since normally only the timer0 varies, youd set everything else to the known values But the timer0. Then input your pointer pattern to calibrate the timer0.
It cant be used on pokes you catch in the overworld after all as i said, unless the area has no wnpcs and you obtain the pattern by saving.

I get it now. Thanks! :)

Correct, iirc (don't have the game handy right now). I think all of the people in the house are stationary.

Do you have the right profile selected in the time finder/the right ID's entered in correctly? Are all of the appropriate boxes checked in both windows, especially the "shiny only" box in the time finder (seems like it is)? Did you choose Breeding (BW) as the method in the main window? Just some thoughts. If none are those are right, can you post a screenshot of both windows, please? Based on the fact that it sounds like you are putting your id's in later, you might not be finding a shiny frame corresponding to your actual TID/SID.
Yes, I did everything right. The confusing thing is I don't see an area to input the TID or SID until the main window. I don't see an area to input this data anywhere in the 5th gen time finder window.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yes, I did everything right. The confusing thing is I don't see an area to input the TID or SID until the main window. I don't see an area to input this data anywhere in the 5th gen time finder window.
There's a dropdown on the top to select your game profile (see screenshot). When you create your profile, you input your ID's. If that's not the issue, can you post some screenshots and/or provide the seed and trainer id info so we can assist you further, please?

Attachments

I have another question-the buttonpress required of me is down-right. Does this mean pushing down on the d-pad while holding the r button?
And when do I push them? If I hold them right before I start the game, will that work or do I need to push them immediately after I choose to start the game from the DS menu?

I have another question-the buttonpress required of me is down-right. Does this mean pushing down on the d-pad while holding the r button?
And when do I push them? If I hold them right before I start the game, will that work or do I need to push them immediately after I choose to start the game from the DS menu?
'Down-Right' is referring Down and Right on the D-Pad. You need to hold the R button when it says 'R'. We recommend you to use two fingers for that.
You need to hold the buttons; we recommend you to do that when the screen fades and you need to hold them until the star appears.

Oh, thank you for the help!
I've also run into another problem-I'm on Black, trying to rng a 5v Terrakion, only something advances the frame by 2 every time I try and fight it-I've gotten the 31/31/31x/31/31 spread with Adamant twice now, and I'm not sure why. I save directly in front of it, and there aren't any WNPCs anywhere.
The frame I'm aiming for is the first one; I don't use Chatot to advance it, but I still should be getting the first frame.

Attachments

Oh, thank you for the help!
I've also run into another problem-I'm on Black, trying to rng a 5v Terrakion, only something advances the frame by 2 every time I try and fight it-I've gotten the 31/31/31x/31/31 spread with Adamant twice now, and I'm not sure why. I save directly in front of it, and there aren't any WNPCs anywhere.
The frame I'm aiming for is the first one; I don't use Chatot to advance it, but I still should be getting the first frame.
Troubleshooting:
1. You are on frame 52; not advaced by 2 frames, because your starting frame is 48.
2. You are on frame 190; very much not likely.
3. Your Synchronizer is Adamant; frame 48 is a Synch frame, so this one is very likely.

Our bet is on the third one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)