Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
The things that Regirock does better than Conk are good enough to warrant it a spot on teams that either could use a deceptively spongy pokemon, or a pokemon that can beat out some of the above pokemon that Regirock can handle well.

If you are simply looking of an Av user, and synergy isn't in favour for the other, use Conk. Done.

Also, Regirock does get Drain Punch right? I just want to make sure :p
Yes, Regirock does get Drain Punch. It was quite a popular option in previous gens.

I don't think that Conkeldurr and Regirock should be compared. Aside from being AV candidates, they're completely different. You're not going to run Regirock because you want an Assault Vest user (or any other Poke, for that matter), you're running it because you want a Rock-type.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 297-351 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hey, stop using that EV spread!

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 71.7 - 84.7%

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 61.8 - 72.9%

Although:

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 75.4 - 89.1%

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 64 - 75.6%

AV Conk isn't really cut out to be a physical tank, IMO. It can take strong neutral hits and retaliate with Drain Punch, but it's not worth sacrificing the special bulk, IMO.

Mr. SU

formerly Mr. ShinyUmbreon
Is donphan a option for assault vest?
you could make a set with av donphan with
Ice shard(for priority)
knock off(for support
earthquake(for stab)
rapid spin(which is what donphan does best)
I don't know, it has good support moves especially since knock off got a buff in this gen, what do you guys think?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but moves like Power-Up Punch and Charge Beam with additional stat-boosting effects have fantastic synergy with Assault Vest. It allows you to passively boost your stats while still keeping the massive Special Defense boost.

Tyranitar's a good example; use Power-Up Punch to finish Pokemon off, or to just beat on walls, and over time he'll get more powerful while still retaining massive Special bulk.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but moves like Power-Up Punch and Charge Beam with additional stat-boosting effects have fantastic synergy with Assault Vest. It allows you to passively boost your stats while still keeping the massive Special Defense boost.

Tyranitar's a good example; use Power-Up Punch to finish Pokemon off, or to just beat on walls, and over time he'll get more powerful while still retaining massive Special bulk.
Excellent point, but I feel the TTar example is the problem, as it can't boost to reliably as TTar carries a massive 4x Fighting weakness.

AV Conk would be rather nice, but I don't think it can give up a moveslot....or can it?

I don't think AV Conk would like to lose his priority move or his way of recovery. And I'm not sure you'd run it over a coverage move or Knock Off, running 3 STAB moves is a bit overkill. If you can afford to run it, the most likely move to give up is Drain Punch maybe. And I just don't like that.

Maybe you could afford to run it on an AV user that doesn't really need the fighting coverage. Having trouble thinking something up though.

One Pokemon I'd like to bring up is a Pokemon with gargantuan bulk, that Pokemon is...

Regice! With maximum investment and Assault Vest, look at what this thing can do:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun on a critical hit: 272-324 (74.9 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
b-b-but Modest?
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun on a critical hit: 300-354 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well, without the crits:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun: 182-216 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun: 200-236 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And with Stealth Rock, look at this:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun on a critical hit: 272-324 (74.9 - 89.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Not even guaranteed with rocks up. But, what sets Regice apart is access to a plethora of moves, from Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, and even Charge Beam to boost its Special Attack. It may not be your first try, but I highly suggest trying it, it does wonders in the OU metagame currently.

Mr. SU

I tried out assault vest donphan, and I have so much fun destroying the souls of people who taunt predicting stealth rocks

I posted an assault vest Blastoise set in the Blastoise thread but here's another good user:

Tentacruel
Item: Assault vest
Move 1: Sludge Bomb
Move 2: Scald/Surf
Move 3: Ice beam/Dazzling gleam
Move 4: Rapid spin
EVs: 252hp/252spdef/4spatk
Calm nature

The set has amazing special bulk and pretty good coverage. Tentacruel is also fast for a wall.

Sludge Bomb is there for a strong STAB and for the 30% chance of lvl1 poison. Scald is there for another STAB and the 30% chance to burn but you could use surf is you want something stronger and you feel it is redundant with sludge bomb.
Ice beam and Dazzling gleam are there for coverage, Ice beam is preferred for stuff like Noivern and Gliscor that ar 4x weak to it but Dazzling gleam can also be used for stuff like Hydreigon and more coverage. Finally, rapid spin is the main reason to use this set.

I tried out assault vest donphan, and I have so much fun destroying the souls of people who taunt predicting stealth rocks
I mentioned assault vest donphan earlier, it looks a great user in my opinion with such a stat spread and movepool. Another good move donphan got new this gen is play rough. Assault vest actually makes Donphans special defence almost the same as scrafty (base 115) but with much higher HP. Awesome, but may require wish support to stay alive for long periods of time :)

Mr. SU

sorry, I didn't see your post, but you have a good point, it also works with offensive donphan, (if that will ever catch on)

The thing about Donphan is that Sturdy is his usual ability he'd need lots of SpD investment to turn those 2HKO into 3HKO to be a worthwhile item, as well as maintain good Attack. Knock Off/EQ/Play Rough/Ice Shard or Rapid Spin is a decent spread, but you have to ask if it surpasses Leftovers.

Mr. SU

He can still get wish support from other team members for recovery, he still is the ultimate wall with AV, and it could work with offensive donphan ( that no one except me uses )

I've mentioned this before but I'd like other opinions. How might Assault Vest Armaldo work? It learns rapid spin and knock off, a superb combination (especially with Misdreavus as a big spinblocker in NU), and can use rock blast for added utility. The final slot could be X-scissor for STAb, earthquake for coverage, or Aqua Jet for (weak) priority. EV spread something like max HP max attack, adamant, and I imagine it would act as an offensive spinner that also has enough bulk to take a few attacks and pull off a successful rapid spin. It appreciates wish support so it can continue spinning, or using its powerful attacks.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but what about AV Blissey?

Blissey @ Assault Vest
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Might sound silly to have anything but leftovers on Blissey, but hear me out. EV spread to maximize Blissey's average base 75 SAtk to a serviceable level, rest to increase special bulk to stupidly high levels. Here's a couple examples:

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Blissey: 140-166 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- 0.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 140-166 (55.5 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
*This is assuming Mega Alakazam isn't running Psyshock which OHKOs even with 252 HP EVs*

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Blissey: 146-174 (22.3 - 26.6%) -- 26.2% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 138-164 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Blissey: 99-117 (15.1 - 17.9%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 102-122 (36.6 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Blissey in Sun: 135-159 (20.7 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Blissey Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 134-158 (44.9 - 53%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Blissey: 160-192 (24.5 - 29.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Blissey Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 266-314 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

So yeah, talk about bulk. Move set is for maximum coverage with the classic BoltBeam combo and Ghost/Fighting have perfect synergy as well. Natural Cure preferred to absorb status and cure on upon switching. Serene Grace can be used if you wanted to try and be cheeky and get a freeze/paralysis/SDef drop.

Not saying it's the best option, but because of Blissey's stupidly high HP and SDef, I think it's a viable option for AV.

Blissey walls all of those except lucario anyway without assault vest and still doesn't have that good of a chance beating lucario if he uses nasty plot on the switch

Assault vest is a terrible option on blissey. You can wear her down over time and her attacks are weak giving easy switch ins to your own wall or physical attackers who won't fear a thunder wave or toxic.

One interesting Pokemon with Assault Vest that I want to bring up is Moxie Scrafty. It can spam STAB Knock Offs, get health back from Drain Punch, and use Ice Punch and Iron Head for coverage. With its recommended EV Spread from Showdown it can take less than 50% from a dazzling gleam from an espeon, promptly KO it back with Knock Off and get up a moxie boost. Not sure what you guys think of it, but just wanted share it here.

One interesting Pokemon with Assault Vest that I want to bring up is Moxie Scrafty. It can spam STAB Knock Offs, get health back from Drain Punch, and use Ice Punch and Iron Head for coverage. With its recommended EV Spread from Showdown it can take less than 50% from a dazzling gleam from an espeon, promptly KO it back with Knock Off and get up a moxie boost. Not sure what you guys think of it, but just wanted share it here.
....................That actually sounds fun. Wait:

252 SpA Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 168-200 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ah, has to be boosted nature. Not bad. Wonder if he can live something a bit stronger:

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 268-316 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not bad.....course he shouldn't be against it anyway but wanted to look anyway XD

I mean, I can see it useful on Scrafty as he has been a Pokémon that's always been one for his versatility. Bulk Up or Dragon Dance. Moxie or Shed Skin. Always an interesting case with him. Just I don't recall him hitting that hard though without boosts off that 90 atk fully invested, and probably even less without investment. I mean it can work, just don't know how well.

Blissey walls all of those except lucario anyway without assault vest and still doesn't have that good of a chance beating lucario if he uses nasty plot on the switch

Assault vest is a terrible option on blissey. You can wear her down over time and her attacks are weak giving easy switch ins to your own wall or physical attackers who won't fear a thunder wave or toxic.
I'm going to have to disagree, been testing it out and Blissey with AV has been doing much better than I thought it would. Been able to nab a lot of surprise KOs because people expect Toxic/TWave.

I've mentioned this before but I'd like other opinions. How might Assault Vest Armaldo work? It learns rapid spin and knock off, a superb combination (especially with Misdreavus as a big spinblocker in NU), and can use rock blast for added utility. The final slot could be X-scissor for STAb, earthquake for coverage, or Aqua Jet for (weak) priority. EV spread something like max HP max attack, adamant, and I imagine it would act as an offensive spinner that also has enough bulk to take a few attacks and pull off a successful rapid spin. It appreciates wish support so it can continue spinning, or using its powerful attacks.
It's an interesting niche but you'd have to explain how he's superior to Tentacruel with much better defensive typing with Rapid Spin and Knock Off too. Also, Armaldo is weak to stealth rock itself, which kind of hampers its survivability. Also with his abysmal speed he's very susceptible to status. Feel free to try him but I suspect he'd be pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:
I know a set for this 'mon was posted a while ago, but I put my own spin on it. Believe me, if you're searching for a replacement for AV Conkeldurr or a Ghost resist, this thing does not disappoint!
@

Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Shed Skin
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
This thing takes special hits like a champ, even without SpD investment. This allows me to up the offensive ante. Knock Off is standard, and it is Scrafty's best STAB. It can put a heavy dent into standard Aegislash, allowing me to finish it off one turn later. It also smacks around anything weak to it, and anything that doesn't resist it in general. Drain Punch is to recover health, and is my secondary STAB. It takes care of everything that resists Knock Off except for Fairies, but that's what Poison Jab is for. Finally, there's Ice Punch to take care of dragons, Landorus-T and Gliscor. Thoughts? Comments?

I know a set for this 'mon was posted a while ago, but I put my own spin on it. Believe me, if you're searching for a replacement for AV Conkeldurr or a Ghost resist, this thing does not disappoint!
@

Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Shed Skin
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
This thing takes special hits like a champ, even without SpD investment. This allows me to up the offensive ante. Knock Off is standard, and it is Scrafty's best STAB. It can put a heavy dent into standard Aegislash, allowing me to finish it off one turn later. It also smacks around anything weak to it, and anything that doesn't resist it in general. Drain Punch is to recover health, and is my secondary STAB. It takes care of everything that resists Knock Off except for Fairies, but that's what Poison Jab is for. Finally, there's Ice Punch to take care of dragons, Landorus-T and Gliscor. Thoughts? Comments?
I don't like She'd Skin as an ability, totally eclipsed by Guts. Intimidate however makes you a safe switch into any attack and is far better suited to the hit and run style this set affords. You're better off just having a cleric.

It's an interesting niche but you'd have to explain how he's superior to Tentacruel with much better defensive typing with Rapid Spin and Knock Off too. Also, Armaldo is weak to stealth rock itself, which kind of hampers its survivability. Also with his abysmal speed he's very susceptible to status. Feel free to try him but I suspect he'd be pretty underwhelming.
There's not a lot that separates him from Tentacruel, but his power is definitely something. Tentacruel can't really hurt common spinblockers with knock off but Armaldo can cause serious damage, and can also fill a far more offensive role than Tentacruel (who relies on either toxic or weak attacks). Armaldo also has more mixed defenses (though they're overall inferior to Tentacruel's) which is more fitting to the role of a pokemon that has to take both special and physical attacks.
There are small things as well, like priority, x1.5 SpD in sandstorm, doubled speed in rain and few exploitable weaknesses.
I won't lie though, Armaldo is outclassed. In OU I don't see him being very useful other than in dedicated rain teams maybe. However, Armaldo could probably find use in lower tiers. Sandslash offers serious competition though.

I posted this in the underrated thread set but love it so much i want to share with as many people as possible.

Gyarados paired with Ferrothorn makes a great Defensive core with Gyarados serving as a mixed wall with assault vest + intimidate. This is the set i run on my absolute hands down best wifi team
With Intimidate, Max HP, half on def and rest on attack with an adamant nature + assault vest this Gyarados essentially checks most of the offensive Meta

EV spread:252 HP, 150 Def, Rest Attack
Nature:Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
Item:Assault Vest
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Dragontail

Pokemon that this set counters include: Talonflame, Greninja, Aegislash (three most used pokes right there), Mega Lucario, Charizard X and Charizard Y, Garchomp, Dragonite, Infernape, Scizor, Mega Alakazam, Conkeldurr, Gengar......eh should i keep going?

This is all due to my experience. I've countered all these pokemon flawlessly with this set. Paired with Ferrothorn and Leech Seed support the core has been damn near unbreakable defensively

With that said, because this Gyarados can counter so many threats its important to pick out the one which is the biggest threat to your team so it wont be worn down to much. And make sure Ferrothorn passes leech seed to it as much as possible. Based on my experience this Gyarados tends to counter at least two pokes per battle which is more than enough for your team to counter attack

Too bad Klutz has awful distribution, otherwise tricking this item onto opponent's walls would be fun
Actually, that could be an interesting concept. (Sorry in advance for posting an idea twice, for I have not read this entire thread)

Imagine having a Klutz Swoobat with Assault Vest and Trick.

~Outspeeds walls
~Assault Vest disables an inevitable Thunder Wave or Substitute, and traps them to Seismic Toss or whatever

A set I can imagine being fun to use, very unexpected, too:

Swoobat @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVS: Who cares
Something Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Substitute / Thunder Wave / Calm Mind / Skill Swap

The last move decides the fate of the switch-in, who will either have a sub to deal with, paralysis, possibly a strong attacker, or the Klutz ability, which could ruin some other Pokemon, and give potential to the Swoobat.

A combination of two moves in the fourth slot could also work. Substitute and Thunder Wave could be very troublesome together, overall just ruining one wall and crippling the switch-in.

Very interesting thought!

[EDIT]: Also, Lopunny could use this strategy, too.

- Switcheroo
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Healing Wish
- Return

It would ruin a wall, give status to something else, and fully heal any of your Pokemon. Could be useful! Probably not, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)