Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird Things NWL Edition no. 1:
One FEAR Rattata. No other party members.
Weezing.
A team consisting of Smeargle, Ninjask, Sigilyph, and Skarmory. It attempted to do a sucky Baton Pass chain but it failed due to my TechniLoom.
Leafeon.
Some poor guy thought it would be a good idea to Spore a Breloom.
Flame Body Talonflame. No, seriously.
A guy using what appeared to be a Gen 3 in-game team. It had such marvelous things like Mud Bomb Swampert, Pelipper, and Special Shiftry.
Sorry for double posting :/

Not silly. Thief is boosted by technician, turning it into a respectable ghost-type hitting move. Thief has slightly higher Base Power overall, I believe, as well.
I did not realize that thief's base power changed from 40 to 60 base power. Man, it's hard to keep up with this 6th generation sometimes. Regardless, I personally would still opt for pursuit or knock off. The trapping effect and the possibility of knocking off an item are too good to pass up in my eyes. But I guess it's not completely silly since the change in thief's power.

I wouldn't say the YouTube guy is either of those people. I don't dispute that they're bad, but that YouTube kid transcends the concept of "bad" into something that cannot be explained with words. These people aren't even close to the amount of noobishness that he represents.

I wouldn't say the YouTube guy is either of those people. I don't dispute that they're bad, but that YouTube kid transcends the concept of "bad" into something that cannot be explained with words. These people aren't even close to the amount of noobishness that he represents.
Who's this "youtube guy"?

Except it is the most useless move, as Sun boosted Fire Blast hits harder on a neutral target than Air Slash:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Machamp: 324-384 (84.3 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Machamp in Sun: 358-423 (93.2 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

The only time it is more useful is against 4x foes :P
Which is why I said he has better options...although it isn't 100% useless strictly speaking, as it for example has slightly better accuracy and can outdamage things like opposing Megazard or Talonflame if sun runs out. That in no way makes up for its shortcomings compared to MegazardY's other options, and nobody should really ever use it, but it's not as if he put hidden power water or something.

Which is why I said he has better options...although it isn't 100% useless strictly speaking, as it for example has slightly better accuracy and can outdamage things like opposing Megazard or Talonflame if sun runs out. That in no way makes up for its shortcomings compared to MegazardY's other options, and nobody should really ever use it, but it's not as if he put hidden power water or something.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 193-228 (64.7 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 212-250 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:P

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
This technically was on the Monotype OU ladder and not the regular one, but whatever. The guy had an actually decent team and battled soundly, but he had the most... interesting opinions. Skip to turn 55 if you want to see my discussion with him.
Haunter we have a serious problem. When you do the Magic Guard Clefable ban, could you also ban Skarm? It's too overcentralizing, requiring people to run Fire types just to beat it. I bet the only reason Talonflame and Heatran are used is to counter this OP Poke. Please ban it ASAP. Thanks!

EDIT: Might as well ban Flame Orb + Psycho Shift + Roost + Cosmic Power + Stored Power Sigilyph as well. That thing's just as OP as Skarm.

Ever run into somebody who just refuses to talk common sense? Well, I ran into such a person today.

This technically was on the Monotype OU ladder and not the regular one, but whatever. The guy had an actually decent team and battled soundly, but he had the most... interesting opinions. Skip to turn 55 if you want to see my discussion with him.
I read that whole conversation and, uh... wow. I have no words.

The really horrifying thing is, he really does believe all of that earnestly.

EDIT: Also, this:
UberMadman: Zapdos is still good btw
Benny the Miraj: I meant Manetric.
Benny the Miraj: Yeah, but Legendaries don't count.
UberMadman: If you have such problems with Skarmo, use Magnezone with Magnet Pull
Benny the Miraj: Ugh, you just make this stuff up as you go along.
UberMadman: ...That was one of the noobies things I've heard anyone say on Showdown
UberMadman: "Legendaries don't count"?
UberMadman: Are you serious?
Benny the Miraj: Because they're usually just as OP.
Benny the Miraj: Even in the OU tier.
#ArticunoAndRegigigas4Ubers

Last edited:
Ever run into somebody who just refuses to talk common sense? Well, I ran into such a person today.

Normally I stay quiet on this thread and just enjoy the hilarity, but this one takes the cake. Skarmory being overpowered? SKARMORY? Yes, it has good physical defenses and is a great Spikes setter, but to call it OP when countless ways to dispose of it exist is being just plain stupid. And again, bashing on all Legendaries is completely pointless when there are near useless ones like Articuno and Regigigas.

Speaking as someone who uses Skarmory frequently, that guy is a fucking idiot. Skarmory? OP? That guy is full of shit when he says he's been at Smogon for at least a year. Also, Legendaries are OP? What the fuck? Are things like the Lati twins good? Yes. OP? No fucking way. What about Regigigas and Articuno, as mentioned above? Those are complete and utter shit.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 193-228 (64.7 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 212-250 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and can outdamage things like opposing Megazard or Talonflame if sun runs out.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 141-167 (47.3 - 56%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO

Again, don't use it. But it's better than 99% of the other silly things posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)