Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm positive Sableye has a new ability. I'm not even going to bother anymore, Game Freak already added new Megas mid-gen and are clearly baiting us to believe there are new moves and abilities. So fuck this, I'm biting.
I'm leaning a lot more towards this as well after new abilities were mentioned for Groudon and Kyogre. If I recall correctly the flavor text of Kyogre's ability was something that makes it stronger. I can sort of imagine Groudon getting Solar Power, but Kyogre doesn't really have any options that make sense at all.

I have no idea what to expect, really.

You guys are thinking about how Wonder Guard aids a Pokemon in taking on other Pokemon 1v1. Pokemon battles involve Pokemon that switch in and out. Sure WG Sabeleye loses to Xerneas, Fairy Arceus, and Mega Gengar.... if it stays in on them. But it's immune to Shadow Tag. So lets say this were happening. I would build an Ubers team with WG Sabeleye, one steel type Fairy counter, one M-Gengar counter (even though know one would run the thing anymore because WG Sableye) 3 other things that don't really matter and I'm golden. why? Becasue every time I send out Sableye it basically forces your opponent to bring out their fairy attacker. It acts as the ultimate lure and once I eliminate the one or two things with Fairy moves I just plow through everything else. Put WG Sabeleye in Ubers and the metagame quickly centralizes around it and deteriorates to "put a fairy move on everything that can carry it and see which player can eliminate the other's Sabeleye first" Sounds like the criteria smogon uses for banning a pokemon from the tier it's in.

Same deal for the Hypothetical WG Arorous. Sure most everything can potentially carry a move to hit it. But it's basically the ultimate defensive pivot. 'Cause anytime your enemy launches an attack that isn't one of 6 specific types and you don't want one of your other Pokemon to take then you can just sponge it away to literally nothing. I could play the same team building exercise. WG Arorous + Skarmory..... I still have 4 slots on my OU team and already I have a Pokemon to safely switch into virtually every unboosted move in the entire metagame. Once Aroorus is on the field your opponent is a fool not to click their ground/ fighting/ steel/ water or whatever attack so it makes it really really easy to switch in my ground or fighting or water or whatever resist from there. Especially since Pokemon don't generally do something like carry a ground move and a fighting move. WG Arorous lets you pivot around every single attack except for 6 types. It makes every Pokemon that's STAB isn't one of 6 types a little afraid to simply fire off powerful STABS else have the momentum flipped on them. It also just aids every single Pokemon with alternative weaknesses by making your opponent wonder "should I try to hit this Scizor with my fire move or will Aurorus come in?" It instantly give you all the momentum every single time you're in a rough spot by abusing an immunity and then letting you make a safe switch. All this is in addition to flat out walling every set that isn't carrying one of it's 6 weaknesses.

Rather than thinking about whether or not any one Pokemon could beat a WG something think about how a WG Pokemon would play in a dynamic battle with multiple pokemon switching around. WG Arorous (and by extension WG any fully evolved Pokemon) becomes, At Minimum, one of the main OU Pokemon.

Last edited:

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
You guy are thinking about how Wonder Gaurd aids a Pokemon in taking on other Pokemon 1v1. Pokemon battles involve Pokemon that switch in and out. Sure WG Sabeleye loses to Xerneas, Fairy Arceus, and Mega Gengar.... if it stays in on them. But it's immune to Shadow Tag. So lets say this were happening. I would build an Ubers team with WG Sabeleye, one steel type Fairy counter, one M-Gemgar counter (even though know one would run the thing anyore because WG Sableye) 3 other things that don't really matter and I'm golden. why? Becasue every time I send out Sableye it basically forces your opponent to bring out their fairy attacker. It acts as the ultimate lure and once I eliminate the one or two things with Fairy moves I just plow through everything else. Put WG Sabeleye in Ubers and the metagame quickly centralizes around it and deteriorates to "put a fairy move on everything that can carry it and see which player can eliminate the other's Sabeleye first" Sounds like the criteria smogon uses for banning a pokemon from the tier it's in.

Same deal for the Hypothetical WG Arorous. Sure most everything can potentially carry a move to hit it. But it's basically the ulitmiate deffensive pivot. 'Cause anytime my enemy launches an attack that isn't one of 6 specific types and you don't want one of your other Pokemon to take then you can just sponge it away to literally nothing. I could play the same team building exercise. WG Arorous + Skarmory..... I still have 4 slots on my OU team and already I have a Pokemon to safely switch into virtually every unboosted move in the entire metagame. Once Aroorus is on the field your oppent is a fool not to click their ground/ fighting/ steel/ water or whatver attack so it makes it really really easy to switch in my ground or fighting or water or whatever resist from there. Especially since Pokemon don't generally do something like carry a groundmove and a fighting move. WG Arorous lets you pivot around every single attack except for 6 types. It also just aids every single Pokemon with alternative weaknesses by making your opponent wonder "should I try to hit this scizor with my fire move or will Aurorus come in?" It instantly give you all the momentum every single time you're in a rough spot by abusing an immunity and then letting you make a safe switch. All this is in additon to flat out walling every set that isn't carrying one of it's 6 weaknesses.

Rather than thinking about whether or not any one Pokemon could beat a WG soemthing think about how a WG Pokemon would play in a dynamic battle with multiple pokemon switching around.
I'm just going to say that there's literally a 0% chance of it getting wonder guard. Even nintendo isn't stupid enough to give it to a Pokemon with 1 natural typing weakness. On top of that, no Pokemon other than Shedinja will ever get wonder guard.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Then how do you account for Mega Sceptile and the others not being in XY? It looks like they did half-ass both solutions at the same time.
(...)
We should all think that if someone brought up something such as mega Diance exactly one week ago the first (and plausible) objection would be: lol there was no diancienite in XY data, they plan this way in advance and no 6 gen pokemon got megas! Yet we all know what happened a couple of days later.
There would be no Mega Sceptile or Diancienite in XY for the same reason there was no Griseous Orb in D/P, or no Reveal Glass in B/W. They aren't essential for the new Pokémon formes to work in battle against the base games. As long as the Pokémon has a base form recognised by the base game, it can be displayed on the base game through trade or battle. A new forme is simply a new combination of old elements (species, moves, abilities), plus a new sprite/model. And as long as there is an old sprite/model to display, the game has no problems with the new forme. Problems only arise when entirely new elements are brought into the picture.

Besides, one of the main selling points of new Pokémon games has always been the allowed access to "new Pokémon" (at least since gen. III). Want a Giratina-O? Well, then you have to buy Platinum. Fancy that Kyurem-B? Buy BW2 if you want to use it. Your friend may very well use the Pokémon against you (because his game is compatible with yours), but you can't have it yourself if you only own the base game. Ask your parents for the new game today!
It would be literally exactly the same with new Mega Pokémon. If you want to play with the Mega, you have to buy the new game. No mystery here.

In short, GameFreak wants the new games to be compatible with the base games, but they do not want all their content to be available for use in them. New moves or abilities screw over compatibility as well as availability, which is undesirable. New Pokémon formes (including Mega Evolutions) would be compatible, but not available.

I'm leaning a lot more towards this as well after new abilities were mentioned for Groudon and Kyogre. If I recall correctly the flavor text of Kyogre's ability was something that makes it stronger. I can sort of imagine Groudon getting Solar Power, but Kyogre doesn't really have any options that make sense at all.

I have no idea what to expect, really.
Actually I think the wording was that it's ability would get stronger not that it's ability would make it stronger.

I just double checked to make sure and this is the exact wording. "And it appears that its Ability might get a boost!"

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I'm just going to say that there's literally a 0% chance of it getting wonder guard. Even nintendo isn't stupid enough to give it to a Pokemon with 1 natural typing weakness. On top of that, no Pokemon other than Shedinja will ever get wonder guard.
They gave Politoed Drizzle, Mega Gengar Shadow Tag, Mewtwo two mega evolutions and they're going to make Kyogre, arguably the most overcentralizing pokemon in the 3 past generations, even stronger. I think we all know what Nintendo is capable of.
Assuming that Wonder Guard on anything besides Shedinja is overpowered is pointless because we have never seen it in action in a genuine metagame (re: no hackmons or stuff like that) on a pokemon with more than 1 HP.
They could give Mega Sableye WG, ban it from tournaments if it turns out to be overpowered and nerf it in the next games. No harm done that way.

You guys are thinking about how Wonder Guard aids a Pokemon in taking on other Pokemon 1v1. Pokemon battles involve Pokemon that switch in and out. Sure WG Sabeleye loses to Xerneas, Fairy Arceus, and Mega Gengar.... if it stays in on them. But it's immune to Shadow Tag. So lets say this were happening. I would build an Ubers team with WG Sabeleye, one steel type Fairy counter, one M-Gengar counter (even though know one would run the thing anymore because WG Sableye) 3 other things that don't really matter and I'm golden. why? Becasue every time I send out Sableye it basically forces your opponent to bring out their fairy attacker. It acts as the ultimate lure and once I eliminate the one or two things with Fairy moves I just plow through everything else. Put WG Sabeleye in Ubers and the metagame quickly centralizes around it and deteriorates to "put a fairy move on everything that can carry it and see which player can eliminate the other's Sabeleye first" Sounds like the criteria smogon uses for banning a pokemon from the tier it's in.
Ubers will become "Your Xerneas died! The rest of your team died too!" which would make it even more overpowered than the new Kyogre. .
Ok. I'm out. You two have clearly never played a single ubers match if you truly believe any of this.

Primal Groudon walls Xerneas, assuming the latter lacks Focus Blast.
- Resistant to Moonblast
- Immune to Thunder
- Takes jackshit from Night Slash and Rock Slide
- We all know Focus Blast's accuracy issues
Meanwhile, Primal Groudon retaliates with either Earthquake or its new signature move. In short, Xerneas's reign of terror is short-lived, as Primal Groudon walls it to hell and back.

Primal Kyogre's signature move looks like a Water-type Psystrike clone to me, which allows it to break through special walls like Blissey. It's even Rain-boosted, providing a much better secondary STAB alongside Water Spout. Killer whale's ascending his throne again.

Yep, I feel like these two will be centralizing the Ubers metagame again.

I would love for Primal Kyogre to get Swift Swim so it can go on a self sufficient sweep of your team
Why does everyone want to break OU/Ubers with These megas?Lockie wants swampert to not be swift swim and be sap sipper instead,potentially making it a huge wall,if it gets great stat updates,you want the recent speed tiered kyogre to have swift swim.........If that happened,I am imagining 180 base special attack hydro pumps coming from 180 speed pokemon with 180 minimum speed,which may even outspeed Deo S with just 1 more point added to speed.Also,that would make him lose drizzle,you do notice don't you?

P.S:The two mentioned will be scary in OU and Ubers respectively
Darkhuaza517 No,just no to psystrike Kyogre stab,the last stroke
lockiegengar12 Lati@s hmm hard one..Latios will outshine mega for sure,Latias will be different tho,looking forward to it

Last edited:
I would love for Primal Kyogre to get Swift Swim so it can go on a self sufficient sweep of your team
In two words: a nightmare.
That would start a whole new weather war, just for the sake of removing Rain and stop Kyo from 6/0 every match. People would be forced to have one or two weather setters to stop Kyo from sweep, and the only one who isn't weak to him is Abomasnow.

Last edited:
Reactions: PME
Why does everyone want to break OU/Ubers with These megas?Lockie wants swampert to not be swift swim and be sap sipper instead,potentially making it a huge wall,if it gets great stat updates,you want the recent speed tiered kyogre to have swift swim.........If that happened,I am imagining 180 base special attack hydro pumps coming from 180 speed pokemon with 180 minimum speed,which may even outspeed Deo S with just 1 more point added to speed.Also,that would make him lose drizzle,you do notice don't you?
Drizzle would activate before mega evolving going primal

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I love how this thread was derailed into a discussion on Ubers ban policy (which doesn't ban shit unless it's unfun or adds nothing to the game; see Moody and the current Swagger discussion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)