Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has already come up, but should you be running a 0 Speed IV on Quiet Aegislash? It allows you to outslow Adamant Conkeldurr, for one, and being slower than things is nicer in general for Aegislash. The usage set doesn't seem to have it though, and it doesn't seem to be in the analysis either.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this has already come up, but should you be running a 0 Speed IV on Quiet Aegislash? It allows you to outslow Adamant Conkeldurr, for one, and being slower than things is nicer in general for Aegislash. The usage set doesn't seem to have it though, and it doesn't seem to be in the analysis either.
Analyses don't mention IVs, as it's implied readers know how to use them correctly. You're correct though, 0 Speed IVs is best for Quiet Aegislash.
Iv really been enjoying my parashuffle Dragonite latly. Although I feel there might be better teammates for it than im using. Is there any Mon that takes advantage of paralysis, like Venoshock does poison?
There aren't any moves that abuse it, like Venoshock for Toxic. But slower wallbreakers, like Gardevoir, Medicham, and Exploud enjoy it greatly when opposing teams are paralyzed.
Whar exatly does "genie-spam" mean?, Im well aware that it has something to do with thundurus/landurus, but they seem to have very diffrent roles.
They are very different. However, that's what allows them to fit on offensive teams together, which in essence is what genie spam is.
Anyone have an idea of a pokemon to build around that isnt so popular? Im getting sick of using and fighting the same things all the time.
Mew, Togekiss, Ampharos, Aerodactyl, Victini, Azelf, and Cresselia are all underrated Pokemon, with varying levels of effectiveness.
Hello, can anyone tell me how a good voltswitch team looks? I dont want to use Landorus-T.
VoltTurn teams are basically teams with 2-4 Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn that wear down their team's checks and counters and grab momentum, so that more powerful Pokemon later can sweep. Good VoltTurners are Manectric, Rotom, Ampharos, Landorus-T, and Scizor, and good sweepers are DD Charizard-X, Dragonite, Gyarados, and Tyranitar.

Last edited:
Sorry to be bumping this thread with my noobly questions but I'm having some trouble in-game.

So it's postgame and I'm trying to rake up some cash, for... you know, purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). I'm also simultaneously trying to level up my low-level EV trained mons. And I've grinded for quite some time in the battle chateau, so I'm currently at the Marquis rank. However, the only people I seem to be battling are Barons and Viscounts. So my questions are-
a)How do I increase my chances of battling higher-leveled trainers?
b)Are there faster methods of leveling up your pokemon/earning cash?

Last edited:

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Sorry to be bumping this thread with my noobly questions but I'm having some trouble in-game.

So it's postgame and I'm trying to rake up some cash, for... you know, purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). I'm also simultaneously trying to level up my low-level EV trained mons. And I've grinded for quite some time in the battle chateau, so I'm currently at the Marquis rank. However, the only people I seem to be battling are Barons and Viscounts. So my questions are-
To be completely honest with ya, if you have 2 decent Pokemon around 67+, you can always spam train at Cafe Le Wow, and it's a pretty nifty source of income. Granted, you have to pay $100,000 to battle there per time, you gain a good amount of Balm Mushrooms which sell at a great price. Even if you are horrible at beating the Pokemon in the "correct" or "optimal" amount of turns, you will always make a profit, as the Balm Mushrooms sell for (I believe) 6,250 a piece, and you get a minimum of 16 per go around (16*6250=100,000) so you cannot lose money with this method, plus you still gain money from beating the trainers there. (Note: Apply Amulet Coin for maximum cash, and Prize Money O-Power if you have access to it, or EXP Power. Whichever suits your needs best.) Here is the more detailed run about on what happens in the restaurants, but from experience it is a great method of farming levels, and money if done even half well.

To be completely honest with ya, if you have 2 decent Pokemon around 67+, you can always spam train at Cafe Le Wow, and it's a pretty nifty source of income. Granted, you have to pay $100,000 to battle there per time, you gain a good amount of Balm Mushrooms which sell at a great price. Even if you are horrible at beating the Pokemon in the "correct" or "optimal" amount of turns, you will always make a profit, as the Balm Mushrooms sell for (I believe) 6,250 a piece, and you get a minimum of 16 per go around (16*6250=100,000) so you cannot lose money with this method, plus you still gain money from beating the trainers there. (Note: Apply Amulet Coin for maximum cash, and Prize Money O-Power if you have access to it, or EXP Power. Whichever suits your needs best.) Here is the more detailed run about on what happens in the restaurants, but from experience it is a great method of farming levels, and money if done even half well.
Meh, i guess I'll have to settle with rotation battles with my lv100 mons up front.
But wouldn't O-powers not last the full battle? And how do I level up my O-powers?

Meh, i guess I'll have to settle with rotation battles with my lv100 mons up front.
But wouldn't O-powers not last the full battle? And how do I level up my O-powers?
To level up o-powers you just have to keep using it. Giving them to other people will make it faster as it costs less.

In the battle chateau the maid at the front offers invitations which cost 100k.

Silver increases the amount of trainers that appear after you defeat one in a room.

Gold increase money earned.

Red raises lvl of trainers mons by 10.
Black raises by 20.

If you want money vs the rich looking guys with the money power and amulet coin.

If you want exp vs the 4 girls with audinos with the o-power and lucky egg.

To increase rank fast get the silver invite and vs every battler then leave the chateau.

Cafe Le wow gives balm mushrooms that you can sell for a lot.
If you uses o powers then go into a cafe battle it will last for all the 5 rounds.

Battle maison points can be trades for ev raising stuff like protein which cost 2 BP and can be sold for 4900 each.

Hope I helped :)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Just keep battling more and more people there and your rank will increase. Remember to go near the entrance every now and again because you're only notified of a rank increase if you go near the two NPCs there.

Eventually you'll be able to battle diantha there, and level 3 prize money O-Power + Amulet Coin + Happy Hour + Gold Writ = about 600,000P. The same combo with elite four members there gives around 300,000.

Why are Baton Pass teams banned? Was there a particular pokemon or strategy that made it really degenerate?

And why on earth would Swagger be banned? I literally laughed out loud when I first saw that...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Why are Baton Pass teams banned? Was there a particular pokemon or strategy that made it really degenerate?

And why on earth would Swagger be banned? I literally laughed out loud when I first saw that...
They were both uncompetitive and detrimental to the metagame at large.

So the aegislash suspect test said it would end on Saturday the 26th, and today is Tuesday the 29th, and I still have not seen a verdict about whether or not it was banned. Why is this?

I'm very interested in the verdict, which is obviously why I am asking this

They were both uncompetitive and detrimental to the metagame at large.
I'm afraid I need a more involved answer than that. Is there a thread where these bans were discussed?

Teams that rely on Baton Pass I could see as potentially being problematic, but I personally never saw them as overly powerful. Still, I always made sure I had a mon with Roar or Haze on my team just to keep that in check. Having just one of these moves on one pokemon shuts down the entire team's strategy. So how is it that competitive Smogon sees them as overpowered?

And Swagger is a risk-reward move. You take a big risk by using it on something like Infernape, because if it decides not to be confused that turn, you're going to get a beating. Obviously the risk is less when you use it on something like Alakazam, but even then it's just a generally superior Confuse Ray (it still has a miss chance, so it's not strictly better).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm afraid I need a more involved answer than that. Is there a thread where these bans were discussed?

Teams that rely on Baton Pass I could see as potentially being problematic, but I personally never saw them as overly powerful. Still, I always made sure I had a mon with Roar or Haze on my team just to keep that in check. Having just one of these moves on one pokemon shuts down the entire team's strategy. So how is it that competitive Smogon sees them as overpowered?

And Swagger is a risk-reward move. You take a big risk by using it on something like Infernape, because if it decides not to be confused that turn, you're going to get a beating. Obviously the risk is less when you use it on something like Alakazam, but even then it's just a generally superior Confuse Ray (it still has a miss chance, so it's not strictly better).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-suspect-process-round-3-baton-pass-read-post-590.3507765/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...tions-to-nerf-full-baton-pass-chains.3504331/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-2-swag-swagger-banned-to-ubers-look.3502265/

Go forth and read. Swagger was not banned because of Pokemon like Infernape. It was banned because of things like Klefki and Thudurus who could abuse priority Swagger to screw with their counters making the games literal 50/50 scenarios. That's uncompetitive.

A similar thing goes to Baton Pass. If you did not have one of the moves you mentioned, you lost. End of story. That was seen as detrimental to team building at large as you pretty much needed something to stop a BP chain on every team.

EDIT: Dont forget Pokemon like Mr Mime (immune to Roar) and Espeon (Cant be forced out) and then moves like Ingrain.

I'm not a big OU player by any means, so this might be a little off base, but the three threads above should cover most of the other questions you may have.

So the aegislash suspect test said it would end on Saturday the 26th, and today is Tuesday the 29th, and I still have not seen a verdict about whether or not it was banned. Why is this?

I'm very interested in the verdict, which is obviously why I am asking this
26th was the last date for trying to get the requirdments for voting. After that, all voters post proof that they have acquired the reqs to vote in this thread. Then, they can vote in the voting thread in the PR forum. Expect the results to come out in 2 or 3 days. :)

26th was the last date for trying to get the requirdments for voting. After that, all voters post proof that they have acquired the reqs to vote in this thread. Then, they can vote in the voting thread in the PR forum. Expect the results to come out in 2 or 3 days. :)
Thanks for answering my question :3

COIL is based off GXE and # of battles, and it only shows up for suspect ladders in other words it will always display as "--" on any row of your /rank popup except on the row for a suspect ladder. Additionally the number of battles you need in order to vote goes down the higher your GXE, which goes up the more you win and goes down the more you lose. Although, that's a bit of a simplification.
So it is suppose to show up on it's own during Suspect Tests or only if you qualify to vote?

So it is suppose to show up on it's own during Suspect Tests or only if you qualify to vote?
It should show up on suspect test ladders after you've had a few battles. If you're on a suspect test ladder, you've had a few battles on it, and it's still not showing up, then idk what to say.

It should show up on suspect test ladders after you've had a few battles. If you're on a suspect test ladder, you've had a few battles on it, and it's still not showing up, then idk what to say.
Yeah because I played a handful of games during the last test and never saw a ranking. I guess next time I will message whoever is in charge of the thread.

What happens when a pokemon with Choice whatever is hit with Torment? I assume that on its second turn it has to use Struggle, but what happens on the third turn?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What happens when a pokemon with Choice whatever is hit with Torment? I assume that on its second turn it has to use Struggle, but what happens on the third turn?
On the third turn, the pokemon can go back to using it's Choiced move, but on the fourth turn it will have to Struggle again (given that Torment stays in effect, which I believe it does).

EDIT: got super ninja'd by S0L1D G0LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)