Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

has anyone else messed around with the celadon slots yet? i've been trying to figure out how to pause buffer triple 7s with the home button, but i haven't gotten them on row 1 no matter when I press A. Sometimes I'll get two 7s in a row and freeze on a frame that *looks* like a third 7, but when I hold A it'll stop on the next symbol instead.

this is on Yellow version.
Tell me about it; I made a post on it a bit ago and it's so frustrating. I personally find it easier to line up the BARs with the home button method, which get you 100 coins anyway so it's not that bad.

Well, that chart is for red and blue. There are some trainer changes in yellow (especially gym leaders). However, you could also use wild ditto to control which pokemon you fight.

Activate glitch, go to any trainer and lose (to keep trainer for more uses of glitch), go searching for ditto. If ditto, switch in pokemon with correct special. Ditto transforms, finish or escape from battle. Finish glitch.

The pokemon you get is the remainder of special stat / 256
So really, the only trainer(s) I need to avoid battling during my playthrough if I want to abuse glitches post-game is 1 "Fly-able" trainer, since the rest of the Mew/other species glitch (the only glitch that applies to this IIRC) can be done with Ditto?

has anyone else messed around with the celadon slots yet? i've been trying to figure out how to pause buffer triple 7s with the home button, but i haven't gotten them on row 1 no matter when I press A. Sometimes I'll get two 7s in a row and freeze on a frame that *looks* like a third 7, but when I hold A it'll stop on the next symbol instead.

this is on Yellow version.
Same here, I think your timing has to be perfect, as in you have to be at the exact right frame when you press A.

So really, the only trainer(s) I need to avoid battling during my playthrough if I want to abuse glitches post-game is 1 "Fly-able" trainer, since the rest of the Mew/other species glitch (the only glitch that applies to this IIRC) can be done with Ditto?
Correct. I'd still recommend keeping another trainer as the alternative is facing the E4.

Are there any cloning glitches in R/B/Y? I know about the one in the original games where you power off the Game Boy during a trade, but I imagine that has been fixed now that the trading system has been changed to wireless.

Also, are there any worthwhile Yellow-exclusive glitches?

Are there any cloning glitches in R/B/Y? I know about the one in the original games where you power off the Game Boy during a trade, but I imagine that has been fixed now that the trading system has been changed to wireless.

Also, are there any worthwhile Yellow-exclusive glitches?
Another way to clone at least was (haven't tested it myself) the same method as Gen 2 cloning. You cut the power while switching pc boxes.

As far as yellow exclusive glitches. I only know of an alternate way of arbitrary code execution which has already been mentioned in this thread.

All glitches aside, is there a guide on EV training (or Stat Exp training rather) to max out all of a Pokemon's stats?

I've been messing around with TheZZAZZGlitch (GlitchCity forums) use of the 8F item. One of them is catching/obtaining any Pokemon you want.
With that I got all 151 Pokemon in 25 minutes. What you can do with it is ridiculous.

Also azzaroxxx6661's max DV glitch video attracted attention, but it only works for Red and Blue, so some are asking to give a video demonstration for Yellow.
The 8F thread on GlitchCity does have the necessary information to do the glitch on Yellow, but so far nobody has made a video. Hope somebody will make one soon.
I plan to, but will probably take me quite a while to get the hang of it.

EDIT: Nope scratch that, through the GlitchCity 8F thread, I found a way to make it work on Yellow! Tested it on an emulator and got a perfect Mew. Let's see how it fares with the 3DS VC. Will make a new video soon

Last edited:
I've been messing around with TheZZAZZGlitch (GlitchCity forums) use of the 8F item. One of them is catching/obtaining any Pokemon you want.
With that I got all 151 Pokemon in 25 minutes. What you can do with it is ridiculous.

Also azzaroxxx6661's max DV glitch video attracted attention, but it only works for Red and Blue, so some are asking to give a video demonstration for Yellow.
The 8F thread on GlitchCity does have the necessary information to do the glitch on Yellow, but so far nobody has made a video. Hope somebody will make one soon.
I plan to, but will probably take me quite a while to get the hang of it.

EDIT: Nope scratch that, through the GlitchCity 8F thread, I found a way to make it work on Yellow! Tested it on an emulator and got a perfect Mew. Let's see how it fares with the 3DS VC. Will make a new video soon
Does this also max out the Stat Exp of the Pokemon?

Does this also max out the Stat Exp of the Pokemon?
Yes, but the execution of the code is somewhat fiddly. The Max DV one is easy though. You can execute the codes separately.
I'm currently doing the setup in my 3DS, but the Mew Glitch is trolling me. I can probably upload the video by tomorrow night.
I can post the steps here though, but I want to make sure it works with the VC first.

I have to say playing through Yellow again has definitely increased my appreciation for how far Pokemon has come over the years and how much Game Freak has improved it. A lot of things I've taken for granted are sorely missed in my playthrough of Yellow. I'm beginning to wonder if my nostalgia can carry me through the tedium.

I have to say playing through Yellow again has definitely increased my appreciation for how far Pokemon has come over the years and how much Game Freak has improved it. A lot of things I've taken for granted are sorely missed in my playthrough of Yellow. I'm beginning to wonder if my nostalgia can carry me through the tedium.
It's why I don't think I will buy the Gen1 games because I think I will be too disappointed replaying them :(

I thought going in that playing Yellow would feel too old and I'd miss all the new mechanics that have come about, but honestly after 4 gym badges I'm still having a blast.

Last edited:
What bugs have you found? So far the only ones I've come across are the ones I've made intentionally (Mew, item cloning glitch). There's definitely a lot of older annoying things, but those are mostly features/lack of features.
I mean that all theses glitchs kill the interest of the games ...
And I'm a bit sad that they didn't try to add features developed in the latest generations

Why should they have added newer features? The new games weren't what they were celebrating - they were celebrating the games that started it all. Global communications are the only thing that I would have asked for, but even then, the games are still perfectly fine without it.

As far as the game itself goes, the glitches have about as much of an impact on the game as declaring your run a nuzlocke does; you can either choose to play with them, or without them. For the most part, you have to actively search for glitches and bugs yourself; about the only substantial bug that is inherent to the gameplay is the toxic counter, and hyper beam, if you actually want to count that one. Other than that, the utter simplicity of the game, flawed or annoying as it may be at times, is a part of its charm.

As a point of fact, it could be argued that the glitches are one of the defining features of these games, because despite the fact that they were not intentional, people are still finding new things and learning new ways to play the same game two decades later. It's not every game that can brag about that. Saying the glitches kill interest is kind of silly, given the fact that they are fully ignorable, and 99% out of the way.

I thought going in that playing Yellow would feel to old and I'd miss all the new mechanics that have come about, but honestly after 4 gym badges I'm still having a blast.
I'm going to try it out right now. A question about WS M: Am I able to toss it after I'm done, and will it leave any traces (except for the cloning and maxing out stats I'll be doing with it)?

EDIT: And what if I save and turn off my system? Will I still have WS M when I turn it back on?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)