Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

What bugs have you found? So far the only ones I've come across are the ones I've made intentionally (Mew, item cloning glitch). There's definitely a lot of older annoying things, but those are mostly features/lack of features.
Oh the game is more broken than you think! My 2 videos above are just scratching the surface of what WS M and 8F item can do. And those are just 2 items in the game.

I'm going to try it out right now. A question about WS M: Am I able to toss it after I'm done, and will it leave any traces (except for the cloning and maxing out stats I'll be doing with it)?

EDIT: And what if I save and turn off my system? Will I still have WS M when I turn it back on?
WS M is a Key Item. You can't toss it sorry. I believe it's completely side effect less. You can store the item in your Item Box.
Yes, you can reset after you get WS M. I didn't actually do all that in one go. I did reset a few times during the setup.

Why should they have added newer features? The new games weren't what they were celebrating - they were celebrating the games that started it all. Global communications are the only thing that I would have asked for, but even then, the games are still perfectly fine without it.

As far as the game itself goes, the glitches have about as much of an impact on the game as declaring your run a nuzlocke does; you can either choose to play with them, or without them. For the most part, you have to actively search for glitches and bugs yourself; about the only substantial bug that is inherent to the gameplay is the toxic counter, and hyper beam, if you actually want to count that one. Other than that, the utter simplicity of the game, flawed or annoying as it may be at times, is a part of its charm.

As a point of fact, it could be argued that the glitches are one of the defining features of these games, because despite the fact that they were not intentional, people are still finding new things and learning new ways to play the same game two decades later. It's not every game that can brag about that. Saying the glitches kill interest is kind of silly, given the fact that they are fully ignorable, and 99% out of the way.
Couldn't have said it any better.

The point is you don't have to do the 8F glitch if you don't want to. Mods is there a way to have certain user posts on ignore so I don't have to see them? There's a couple that keep making this thread hard to get through sometimes.

I just beat the league in Blue! Since I was born too late to play the games when they were originally released, I'm glad I was finally able to play the games that started it all on an actual handheld. I wish I had just stalled on the Champion battle for a bit longer - my time was 23:56, and it would have been so cool to finish in exactly 24 hours!

Blastoise, Level 47
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Water Gun
-Submission

I feel like most people either pick Charmander (because Charizard) or Bulbasaur (to root for the underdog), so Squirtle sort of gets lost in the middle. But it was pretty good, all things considered. One thing, though: I swear to Arceus, Blizzard does not have 90% accuracy in gen 1. It missed WAY more often than that.

Fearow, Level 48
-Drill Peck
-Mirror Move
-Fly
-Fury Attack

Fearow, I think, is way better than Pidgeot in Gen 1. Simply the luxury of Drill Peck, a strong, single-turn, accurate Flying move made it great for plowing through Team Rocket. It's also thanks to Fearow that I learned the hard way that you cannot revenge kill with Mirror Move; it fails if Fearow itself didn't take the hit.

Magneton, Level 48
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Swift
-Supersonic

Magneton was, simply put, really awesome. I'll be honest, I lost track of the number of times I either forgot it isn't Steel-type or wished that it was. But seriously, Thunderbolt just hit really hard. Magneton also has the highest Special, making it optimal for performing the Ditto glitch.

Nidoking, Level 47
-Surf
-Strength
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Nidoking was sort of an HM slave, though I guess Surf and Strength are the two HMs that are actually decent. It's surprisingly fast, and Earthquake hits everything hard. All around a good Pokemon for an in-game run.

Persian, Level 47
-Hyper Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Fury Swipes
-Pay Day

Honestly, Persian was sort of underwhelming. It's a great assassin with Hyper Beam, but with only 5 PP, it won't exactly get much use. I'm hoping that if I decide to take on the league again, Slash will work better. Also, Fury Swipes's accuracy sucks.

Mew, Level 44
-Tri Attack
-Thunder Wave
-Fire Blast
-Psychic

Tell me honestly: Is there anyone who went through the game and did NOT perform the Mew Glitch? It's almost like a ritual at this point. Yes, Mew is pretty broken and can trivialize an in-game run, but I think that's why it's a lot lower leveled: I was always hesitant to use it since it's so powerful. For what it's worth, Alakazam is arguably even more broken in-game since it hits harder and faster even though it can't take Physical hits.

I'm not using glitches because I don't want to play the game differently than I would have when I was 8 or 9. I know a lot of people find them fun, but I really hate making the game too easy and just steamrolling the competition.

I just beat the league in Blue! Since I was born too late to play the games when they were originally released, I'm glad I was finally able to play the games that started it all on an actual handheld. I wish I had just stalled on the Champion battle for a bit longer - my time was 23:56, and it would have been so cool to finish in exactly 24 hours!

Blastoise, Level 47
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Water Gun
-Submission

I feel like most people either pick Charmander (because Charizard) or Bulbasaur (to root for the underdog), so Squirtle sort of gets lost in the middle. But it was pretty good, all things considered. One thing, though: I swear to Arceus, Blizzard does not have 90% accuracy in gen 1. It missed WAY more often than that.

Fearow, Level 48
-Drill Peck
-Mirror Move
-Fly
-Fury Attack

Fearow, I think, is way better than Pidgeot in Gen 1. Simply the luxury of Drill Peck, a strong, single-turn, accurate Flying move made it great for plowing through Team Rocket. It's also thanks to Fearow that I learned the hard way that you cannot revenge kill with Mirror Move; it fails if Fearow itself didn't take the hit.

Magneton, Level 48
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Swift
-Supersonic

Magneton was, simply put, really awesome. I'll be honest, I lost track of the number of times I either forgot it isn't Steel-type or wished that it was. But seriously, Thunderbolt just hit really hard. Magneton also has the highest Special, making it optimal for performing the Ditto glitch.

Nidoking, Level 47
-Surf
-Strength
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Nidoking was sort of an HM slave, though I guess Surf and Strength are the two HMs that are actually decent. It's surprisingly fast, and Earthquake hits everything hard. All around a good Pokemon for an in-game run.

Persian, Level 47
-Hyper Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Fury Swipes
-Pay Day

Honestly, Persian was sort of underwhelming. It's a great assassin with Hyper Beam, but with only 5 PP, it won't exactly get much use. I'm hoping that if I decide to take on the league again, Slash will work better. Also, Fury Swipes's accuracy sucks.

Mew, Level 44
-Tri Attack
-Thunder Wave
-Fire Blast
-Psychic

Tell me honestly: Is there anyone who went through the game and did NOT perform the Mew Glitch? It's almost like a ritual at this point. Yes, Mew is pretty broken and can trivialize an in-game run, but I think that's why it's a lot lower leveled: I was always hesitant to use it since it's so powerful. For what it's worth, Alakazam is arguably even more broken in-game since it hits harder and faster even though it can't take Physical hits.
Why didn't you just wait 4 minutes :(

WS M is a Key Item. You can't toss it sorry. I believe it's completely side effect less. You can store the item in your Item Box.
Yes, you can reset after you get WS M. I didn't actually do all that in one go. I did reset a few times during the setup.
If you eventually manage to find a way to toss it/get rid of it, please let me know.

I'm not using glitches because I don't want to play the game differently than I would have when I was 8 or 9. I know a lot of people find them fun, but I really hate making the game too easy and just steamrolling the competition.
Are you not going to use any glitch at all? I also didn't use any glitch until I wanted to use TMs; it's really handy to have the same TMs multiple times, and that's where the Missingno glitch (or the WS M glitch, rather) comes in really handy. It's not like you make the game too easy that way, and you're only benefiting from it.

Why didn't you just wait 4 minutes :(

If you eventually manage to find a way to toss it/get rid of it, please let me know.

Are you not going to use any glitch at all? I also didn't use any glitch until I wanted to use TMs; it's really handy to have the same TMs multiple times, and that's where the Missingno glitch (or the WS M glitch, rather) comes in really handy. It's not like you make the game too easy that way, and you're only benefiting from it.
Well, having multi of good tms does make the game easier. I don't think you can really deny that.

Well, having multi of good tms does make the game easier. I don't think you can really deny that.
I was talking about competitive use of the TMs. I didn't use the same TMs twice in my playthrough.

Yes, you can reset after you get WS M. I didn't actually do all that in one go. I did reset a few times during the setup..
Hey, I tried duplicating via the WS M glitch, but it doesn't work. Instead of duplicating the item in the 2nd slot it freezes my game for a few seconds, soft resets my game and makes everything have a green tint/hue. For the rest it does nothing (as far as I'm concerned). I did the exact same steps as you did in your video. To be sure:

Slot 1: WS M
Slot 2: Random item x1 (in my case Master Ball)
Slot 3: Burn Heal x43
Slot 4: Ice Heal x53
Slot 5: Revive x201 (duplicated Revive x73 via 183 Special Missingno glitch)
And some trash on the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th slot (which shouldn't matter, right?)

Any idea what's wrong? Do I also need the Slowpoke x6, Voltorb x1, Growlithe x1, Jolteon x1, Geodude x10 and Voltorb x1 in my active box in order for the duplication to work? Because I didn't do that yet.

It took so long to set this up, please have a solution ;__;

EDIT: I tried emptying the unnecessary items from my bag into my PC. Still doesn't work with only the slot 1-5 items in my bag.

EDIT 2: Just tested it with a Full Heal in my bag, still doesn't work. Also, using WS M now doesn't freeze and reset my game anymore - it only freezes it.

EDIT 3: It fucking worked, omg! I indeed needed to have those Pokemon in my active box. I can't believe this actually worked, this is so handy. I'm going to duplicate TM 1-50 right now and have 'em nicely stacked and ordered in my PC. Thanks jelome1989! I'm going to try the DV and Stat Exp glitch later on.

Last edited:
I was talking about competitive use of the TMs. I didn't use the same TMs twice in my playthrough.

Hey, I tried duplicating via the WS M glitch, but it doesn't work. Instead of duplicating the item in the 2nd slot it freezes my game for a few seconds, soft resets my game and makes everything have a green tint/hue. For the rest it does nothing (as far as I'm concerned). I did the exact same steps as you did in your video. To be sure:

Slot 1: WS M
Slot 2: Random item x1 (in my case Master Ball)
Slot 3: Burn Heal x43
Slot 4: Ice Heal x53
Slot 5: Revive x201 (duplicated Revive x73 via 183 Special Missingno glitch)
And some trash on the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th slot (which shouldn't matter, right?)

Any idea what's wrong? Do I also need the Slowpoke x6, Voltorb x1, Growlithe x1, Jolteon x1, Geodude x10 and Voltorb x1 in my active box in order for the duplication to work? Because I didn't do that yet.

It took so long to set this up, please have a solution ;__;

EDIT: I tried emptying the unnecessary items from my bag into my PC. Still doesn't work with only the slot 1-5 items in my bag.

EDIT 2: Just tested it with a Full Heal in my bag, still doesn't work. Also, using WS M now doesn't freeze and reset my game anymore - it only freezes it.

EDIT 3: It fucking worked, omg! I indeed needed to have those Pokemon in my active box. I can't believe this actually worked, this is so handy. I'm going to duplicate TM 1-50 right now and have 'em nicely stacked and ordered in my PC. Thanks jelome1989! I'm going to try the DV and Stat Exp glitch later on.
I see. Never mind then.

I tried out the DV/Stat Exp glitch, and they worked like a charm. When I tried it a second time, I accidentally forgot to change back to the Slowpoke x6, Voltorb x1 box. I executed WS M, and what do you know? My save file got deleted. Permanently.

I've been resetting my game a couple of times to see if the file is actually deleted, and it is. This really sucks.

My advice to people who are going mess with the DV/Stat Exp glitch: DO NOT forget to switch back to the Slowpoke x6 box if you're going to do it more than once. If you do, your save file will get deleted, and there will be no way to get it back. [Source: Personal experience]

Guess I'm going to start over again after ~80 hours... Oh well, I wanted my rival to have a different name anyway fml

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tried out the DV/Stat Exp glitch, and they worked like a charm. When I tried it a second time, I accidentally forgot to change back to the Slowpoke x6, Voltorb x1 box. I executed WS M, and what do you know? My save file got deleted. Permanently.

I've been resetting my game a couple of times to see if the file is actually deleted, and it is. This really sucks.

My advice to people who are going mess with the DV/Stat Exp glitch: DO NOT forget to switch back to the Slowpoke x6 box if you're going to do it more than once. If you do, your save file will get deleted, and there will be no way to get it back. [Source: Personal experience]
Yikes, that sounds a lot more dangerous than the RB glitch. Thanks for the tip, and sorry about your save file.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Guess I'm going to start over again after ~80 hours... Oh well, I wanted my rival to have a different name anyway fml
Yikes, sorry to hear about that. :(

Sorry to hear about that. Actually that happened to me as well, TWICE. If you've watched the end of my video, that would be the first. LOL.

That's why I put annotations at the beginning for first time viewers to know the risks involved in this glitch.

EDIT: Looking at the video again, I'm wrong, that one didn't corrupt the save file, but only crashed the game. Seems I forgot to include the clip that crashed my game and corrupted my save. Anyway, sorry about that again.

Last edited:
Finally, this took quite a while:

This is a godsend.

Quick question: Do the nicknames of the Pokemon in the box matter, or only the species? I was thinking it'd be handy to nickname them Slowpoke1, Slowpoke2, etc., just to make the setup easier to keep track of, but I don't know if that's part of the information the game needs to interpret.

And what seems to cause the save corruption? Just not having the right box active at the time of using "ws m"?

This is a godsend.

Quick question: Do the nicknames of the Pokemon in the box matter, or only the species? I was thinking it'd be handy to nickname them Slowpoke1, Slowpoke2, etc., just to make the setup easier to keep track of, but I don't know if that's part of the information the game needs to interpret.

And what seems to cause the save corruption? Just not having the right box active at the time of using "ws m"?
Nicknames, hmm. Never tried that before, but it's probably ok. Let me test that first on an emulator to be sure.
About save corruption, I don't really know what causes it. I've had my game crash on me a lot of times already, but only twice did it corrupt my save. But that one of the two times it corrupted my save, I remember, I made the same mistake Fluke did. So yeah, that's one of the probable causes.

EDIT: Nicknames are fine

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Holy crap man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Out of curiosity, are there any other glitches like that actually fuck up the game if you screw up?

Missingno does too. This is another reason why I don't care to abuse them.
As fair as I'm concerned the harmless versions of Missingno are completely harmless. You can toy around with them as much you want, it won't hurt your game.

About save corruption, I don't really know what causes it. I've had my game crash on me a lot of times already, but only twice did it corrupt my save. But that one of the two times it corrupted my save, I remember, I made the same mistake Fluke did. So yeah, that's one of the probable causes.
What's the reason your save file got corrupted a second time? Really curious, since I want to use it to my own advantage. I want to eliminate every risk now >.<'

Also, would it be fine to put WS M in my PC after I'm done maxing out all the Pokemon I want? I don't want to accidentally click it again and wipe my save file..

As fair as I'm concerned the harmless versions of Missingno are completely harmless. You can toy around with them as much you want, it won't hurt your game.
I did the MissingNo Cinnabar glitch and it wiped my save file twice when I originally played R/B. I'm guessing that can still happen if they left the games nearly completely unchanged. Just saying, it's a risk.

Anyone else do something really funny with Gamesharks back in the day? I permanently changed my Pikachu into a Ninetales trying to input a code to catch Ninetales. Even though his sprite changed, Ninetales still made the Pikachu sound.

What's the reason your save file got corrupted a second time? Really curious, since I want to use it to my own advantage. I want to eliminate every risk now >.<'

Also, would it be fine to put WS M in my PC after I'm done maxing out all the Pokemon I want? I don't want to accidentally click it again and wipe my save file..

Can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I got the item setup correct that time.
Yes, you can deposit it in your PC.

Can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I got the item setup correct that time.
Yes, you can deposit it in your PC.
Do you know if there are any ways to back up a save file from the VC versions of RBY? That way I can at least restore a backup if it would mess up my save file again.

Missingno does too. This is another reason why I don't care to abuse them.
From my own experience, I don't think that Missingno. is capable of any lasting harm to your game's save data. Sure, if you're playing Yellow the "normal" variety of Missingno. will crash your game most of the time when you encounter it, but even then I haven't heard of or seen it corrupting your save data.

Do you know if there are any ways to back up a save file from the VC versions of RBY? That way I can at least restore a backup if it would mess up my save file again.
Don't think so, unfortunately. The restore points (read: save-state functionality) that are part of most Virtual Console releases are disabled for R/B/Y, and I don't know of any other way to back up your save data.

I personally don't think I'm going to try messing around with ws m quite yet. Maybe when I end up going after the glitch Pokémon with special values above 200, but even then I think the Remaining HP glitch is a safer (albeit more time-consuming since you have to set it up again every time you want to use it) way of going about it.

You need a hacked 3DS.

From my own experience, I don't think that Missingno. is capable of any lasting harm to your game's save data. Sure, if you're playing Yellow the "normal" variety of Missingno. will crash your game most of the time when you encounter it, but even then I haven't heard of or seen it corrupting your save data.

Don't think so, unfortunately. The restore points (read: save-state functionality) that are part of most Virtual Console releases are disabled for R/B/Y, and I don't know of any other way to back up your save data.

I personally don't think I'm going to try messing around with ws m quite yet. Maybe when I end up going after the glitch Pokémon with special values above 200, but even then I think the Remaining HP glitch is a safer (albeit more time-consuming since you have to set it up again every time you want to use it) way of going about it.

Yeah, for Yellow that is, but not for Red/Blue. IIRC, you have to trade a glitch Pokemon from Yellow for the Remaining HP Glitch to work with Red/Blue. Since you're force to trade anyway, then 8F is still the way to go, do everything that you need to do in one go and just trade over the Pokemon to another version. But yeah, Remaining HP Glitch is safer for Yellow lol

Yeah, for Yellow that is, but not for Red/Blue. IIRC, you have to trade a glitch Pokemon from Yellow for the Remaining HP Glitch to work with Red/Blue. Since you're force to trade anyway, then 8F is still the way to go, do everything that you need to do in one go and just trade over the Pokemon to another version. But yeah, Remaining HP Glitch is safer for Yellow lol
Yeah, I got Yellow. Specifically for the glitch Pokémon you're mentioning, actually; I was planning to do the Pokémon merge glitch with it, the fact that it's also what allows you to do the remaining HP glitch is a pleasant side effect as far as I'm concerned.

On that note, do you think that Pokémon with normally illegal movesets obtained with the Pokémon merge glitch (obviously after they're stabilized) will be able to be sent to Sun and Moon via Pokémon Bank? I haven't used Pokémon Bank before so I don't know how it handles illegal movesets normally

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I got Yellow. Specifically for the glitch Pokémon you're mentioning, actually; I was planning to do the Pokémon merge glitch with it, the fact that it's also what allows you to do the remaining HP glitch is a pleasant side effect as far as I'm concerned.

On that note, do you think that Pokémon with normally illegal movesets obtained with the Pokémon merge glitch (obviously after they're stabilized) will be able to be sent to Sun and Moon via Pokémon Bank? I haven't used Pokémon Bank before so I don't know how it handles illegal movesets normally
I doubt it, since it doesn't allow Pokemon who got stuff with the mimic glitch unless they are event moves (So for example, Pokebank lets through Wish Chansey despite getting an actual event Chansey being impossible now)

BTW on a different note: I'm considering importing a Japanese 2DS edition of Green or Blue (Preferably Blue since that's a different game, but I heard that's Pokemon Center exclusive), partly so I can get some Japanese events from Sun and Moon. Any options besides the expensive Play Asia? Amazon JP ships internationally now but none of the 2DS bundles there apply sadly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)