Little things you like about Pokémon

Gen4 was the one with most overworld sprite, which is, all Pokémon. Let's hope they can one day make all's overworld model like they did there.
Or they could just recycle the models used in Super Mystery Dungeon. Then the only obstacles are making Generation VII models and the game's size.

I like how Pokémon has designs for girls, boys, women and MEN to enjoy. Most games would just have edgy monsters with a million spikes that breathe fire that maul each other to death. With Pokémon if you just want friends to cuddle, get an Eevee, if you want an awesome dragon, get a Charizard, if you want trash... Garbodor fills that niche (freak >_>)

Remember that annoying beeping in Gens1-3? I like how they tried to fix it in Gens 4-6, and most of their solutions turned out to be fairly effective. Its kind of funny how sassy they were with Gen 5, making it into a battle theme. And in Gen 6 they were like, "OK, the player gets it, just play the beep 4 times and call it good".

EDIT: Whoa guys! Thanks for all the likes!
Beeping? Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

In general:
I really like the interaction among persons all around the world thanks to Pokemon. It is a so simple, but so effective way to communicate to each other.

I also like the fact it is a way to learn English with relative ease.

In ORAS:
I really like the encounter of Rayquaza for both the encounter and the soundtrack. The Sky Pillar in ORAS is 20 times better than the previous one in R/S/E due to the new animations and music.

Sorry Arceus, but (Mega) Rayquaza is clearly superior to you both in appearance and soundtrack!

In other games:
I like the possibility to use Repels automatically. No more Zubat/whatsoever 's random appearance when you want to proceed quickly in the game.

Last edited:
I nerdgasmed when Foobar reached the theme for Sky Pillar and I started hearing an updated version of the Rayquaza cutscene theme from Emerald. One of the few tracks I actually like better in the remake and exactly the type of conscientious aesthetic decision we've all learned to expect from Game Freak.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like how Pokémon has designs for girls, boys, women and MEN to enjoy. Most games would just have edgy monsters with a million spikes that breathe fire that maul each other to death. With Pokémon if you just want friends to cuddle, get an Eevee, if you want an awesome dragon, get a Charizard, if you want trash... Garbodor fills that niche (freak >_>)

Beeping? Sorry I don't understand what you mean.
Myself, I think Trubbish is actually pretty cute. I like how GF tried to make even a Pokémon resembling trash look its best, even if not everyone likes it. But yeah, I agree with the designs for everyone thing too.
Also, congrats on 500th post.

Myself, I think Trubbish is actually pretty cute. I like how GF tried to make even a Pokémon resembling trash look its best, even if not everyone likes it. But yeah, I agree with the designs for everyone thing too.
Also, congrats on 500th post.
I myself am in more in the "meh, it's okay, I guess" category. I usually either like something, or just acknowledge it's existence. The pipe cannons on Garbodor are pretty cool though.

Last edited:
When I first heard of the wonder trade feature I thought it would be utter garbage.

Now I love it and want it to remain always. Yeah, you usually get a lot of first route mons, but you do quite frequently get something good like a breeder's extras or pokerus! I've even received 6 shiny's, 5 legendaries, and even a Hoopa before they were supposed to be released (definitely hacked, but it was still kinda cool).

What makes it work is that you kind of get out what you put in, so if everybody put in garbage mons that's all it ever would be. So I try to send my own breeding extras or trade-evolution mons into Wonder Trade, and release and garbage mons I get back so they are out of the loop.

Plus it does make taking out about 60% of the pokedex pretty easy.

When I first heard of the wonder trade feature I thought it would be utter garbage.

Now I love it and want it to remain always. Yeah, you usually get a lot of first route mons, but you do quite frequently get something good like a breeder's extras or pokerus! I've even received 6 shiny's, 5 legendaries, and even a Hoopa before they were supposed to be released (definitely hacked, but it was still kinda cool).

What makes it work is that you kind of get out what you put in, so if everybody put in garbage mons that's all it ever would be. So I try to send my own breeding extras or trade-evolution mons into Wonder Trade, and release and garbage mons I get back so they are out of the loop.

Plus it does make taking out about 60% of the pokedex pretty easy.
Even with the garbage mons they still might be foreign and you could get some more random foreign dex entries. I'm actually addicted to it now and it's my favorite part of getting rid of breeding rejects.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Even with the garbage mons they still might be foreign and you could get some more random foreign dex entries. I'm actually addicted to it now and it's my favorite part of getting rid of breeding rejects.
Not to mention good for getting Poke Miles so you can get items your not suppose to early like Ultra Balls & useful for later game as well with Max Revives, Rare Candies, and PP Ups.

Something I've always loved is to make the best possible version of less than optimal themes. I loved doing it in Yu-Gi-Oh and it isn't surprising that I love doing it in Pokémon.
This leads me to something that amuses me:
I've been working on building the best possible team out of the pool of Pokémon that was used by Team Rocket in the main series games (including Giovanni's though I am hesitant to use his World Tournament teams since it will feel less like a Team Rocket team if I use things like Garchomp and Krookodile). The funniest thing about it is that the vast majority of them are currently PU-RU (as of 15 April 2016).
Rattata family (PU)
Ekans family (PU)
Sandshrew family (NU)
Nidoran family (UU/UU)
Zubat family (RU/UU)
Oddish family (NU/PU)
Venonat family (BL2)
Diglett family (RU)
Meowth family (PU)
Machop family (PU/UU)
Geodude family (PU)
Grimer family (NU)
Onix family (LC/NU/RU)
Drowzee family (PU)
Cubone family (PU)
Koffing family (PU/NU)
Rhyhorn family (NU/RU)
Kangaskhan (NU/Uber)
Murkrow family (UU)
Gligar family* (UU/OU)
Houndour family (RU/BL2)
Gible family* (PU/OU)
Hippopotas family* (OU)
Sandile family* (UU)

You start figuring out why they were so easily beaten by a ten-year-old when you look at this and it amuses me. Now, I'm back to figure out how to make a decent team out of this. I might have to aim low tier.

*Giovanni PWT exclusive

Something I've always loved is to make the best possible version of less than optimal themes. I loved doing it in Yu-Gi-Oh and it isn't surprising that I love doing it in Pokémon.
This leads me to something that amuses me:
I've been working on building the best possible team out of the pool of Pokémon that was used by Team Rocket in the main series games (including Giovanni's though I am hesitant to use his World Tournament teams since it will feel less like a Team Rocket team if I use things like Garchomp and Krookodile). The funniest thing about it is that the vast majority of them are currently PU-RU (as of 15 April 2016).
Rattata family (PU)
Ekans family (PU)
Sandshrew family (NU)
Nidoran family (UU/UU)
Zubat family (RU/UU)
Oddish family (NU/PU)
Venonat family (BL2)
Diglett family (RU)
Meowth family (PU)
Machop family (PU/UU)
Geodude family (PU)
Grimer family (NU)
Onix family (LC/NU/RU)
Drowzee family (PU)
Cubone family (PU)
Koffing family (PU/NU)
Rhyhorn family (NU/RU)
Kangaskhan (NU/Uber)
Murkrow family (UU)
Gligar family* (UU/OU)
Houndour family (RU/BL2)
Gible family* (PU/OU)
Hippopotas family* (OU)
Sandile family* (UU)

You start figuring out why they were so easily beaten by a ten-year-old when you look at this and it amuses me. Now, I'm back to figure out how to make a decent team out of this. I might have to aim low tier.

*Giovanni PWT exclusive
You could also use Pokémon that appeared as Dark Pokémon in the TCG/Team Rocket:

Abra family: UU/OU
Bulbasaur family: RU/OU
Clefairy family: OU
Cyndaquil family: RU
Charizard family: NU/OU
Dratini family: OU
Espeon: UU
Exeggecute family: BL4
Flareon: PU
Gastly family: OU/Uber
Omanyte family: NU
Phanphy family: UU
Ponyta family: PU
Porygon family: UU
Psyduck family: PU
Jigglypuff family: PU
Jolteon: RU
Larvitar family: OU
Magikarp family: UU/BL
Magnemite family: OU
Mankey family: NU
Mareep family: PU/UU
Pineco family: UU
Remoraid family:PU
Scyther family: OU
Slowpoke family: RU/OU
Slugma family: PU
Spearow family: PU
Spinarak family: PU
Squirtle family: RU/UU
Staryu family: OU
Teddiursa: PU
Totodile family: UU
Vaporeon: UU
Voltorb family: PU
Vulpix family: PU

Plenty to choose from! :D

You could also use Pokémon that appeared as Dark Pokémon in the TCG/Team Rocket:

Abra family: UU/OU
Bulbasaur family: RU/OU
Clefairy family: OU
Cyndaquil family: RU
Charizard family: NU/OU
Dratini family: OU
Espeon: UU
Exeggecute family: BL4
Flareon: PU
Gastly family: OU/Uber
Omanyte family: NU
Phanphy family: UU
Ponyta family: PU
Porygon family: UU
Psyduck family: PU
Jigglypuff family: PU
Jolteon: RU
Larvitar family: OU
Magikarp family: UU/BL
Magnemite family: OU
Mankey family: NU
Mareep family: PU/UU
Pineco family: UU
Remoraid family:PU
Scyther family: OU
Slowpoke family: RU/OU
Slugma family: PU
Spearow family: PU
Spinarak family: PU
Squirtle family: RU/UU
Staryu family: OU
Teddiursa: PU
Totodile family: UU
Vaporeon: UU
Voltorb family: PU
Vulpix family: PU

Plenty to choose from! :D
I was being exclusive to the main series games.

Something for this thread that I thought about as I RNG'ed on Gen IV games this weekend: I never appreciate the gameplay advancements until I go back to play the old games. I haven't seriously played SS in three years and wow...the sprites are terrible (in comparison to Gen VI), the special shiny pokemon animations are tacky, and even on a strong OHKO the HP bar takes forever to go to 0. It was such a relief to bring my newly RNG'ed mons to the beautiful 3D-ness of ORAS.

It's funny, maybe in another 6 years I'll look back on ORAS with the same sentiment. It's exciting to think about how beautiful the games would look then.

This is a specific and small thing, but I've been enjoying it. During my currently playthrough of X, I decided to try using Meinfoo. Level 50 isn't too bad thanks to the Exp. Share (and to be honest, I've been maybe a little bit higher level than NPC trainers and that's normally what I do, so the only difference I notice is less grinding and more of me just playing the game) and its pre-evolved stats aren't terrible. Throughout this playthrough, Meinfoo has a reall cool combination of traits:
Drain Punch and U-Turn are both level up moves (along with Fake Out) and it gets Regenerator as an ability. As such, he tends to be good HP wise. This combination has been a blast to play with and is a highlight of this run. That and finally getting around to using a Gengar during a playthrough.

EDIT: Actually looking at its evolved form, it's a superior version of Primeape, a Pokémon I love using. The only problem is that it has to use High Jump Kick instead of Close Combat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)