Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean the thing is melo-p is basically entirely outclassed by mega lopunny which has fake out, a better ability, more speed,and doesnt have to get off a relic song each time it comes in. its just way too much work for too little reward. Especially when you consider damage from people sending stuff like rocky helm lando in on you in tandem with LO recoil. If its ranked it shouldnt be for this set.
Token special attacker:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 149-177 (43.6 - 51.9%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 286-337 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah my g you're totally right. Mega Lopunny basically entirely outclasses this

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Token special attacker:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 149-177 (43.6 - 51.9%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 286-337 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

i specifically said meloetta p which is outclassed by mega lopunny. i thought i made that very clear? Melo-p is in general a shitmon with how awful it is to have to get off a relic song from low speed each time you come in. youre already taking damage from lo recoil, entry hazards, and rocky helm as it is, and then you need to take a hit to get relic song up.

how awful it is to have to get off a relic song from low speed each time you come in.
And this is why I feel it should remain in D. With all the current Pokemon in C- and above pretty much, they aren't exactly hoping to get off a move like Meloetta does, this is why I prefer SubCM Meloetta over all other sets. When Meloetta comes in, only half of its moveset is usable, though, one can argue knock off is always usable, it's not going to be hurting too many things in her Aria Form. Outside of the thinnest piece of paper weak to it. After Meloetta comes in once, the opponent knows it's mixed, and they likely aren't going to just give you the free Relic song to clean house. Where as Lopunny ALWAYS will have Fake Out to guarantee it gets a free form change, and Mega Lopunny doesn't have to do this every time it comes in. Meloetta can be a threat, I cannot disagree with that, as I said, I was part of the few fighting for Meloetta's placement in D, but it most certainly should not get a raise.

Token special attacker:

Your arrogance isn't helping your case at all lol. You should invest in getting the right calcs before you pop off at the mouth.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta-P: 230-270 (67.4 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's still a shit ton of damage, it's not checking Latios of all things. You should use a calc that aids in your cause my friend.

i specifically said meloetta p which is outclassed by mega lopunny. i thought i made that very clear? Melo-p is in general a shitmon with how awful it is to have to get off a relic song from low speed each time you come in. youre already taking damage from lo recoil, entry hazards, and rocky helm as it is, and then you need to take a hit to get relic song up.
Yeah that'd be well and good if Relic Song wasn't a pretty good move in and of it's own right. It's still 75 BP with 20% sleep. Sure ghosts absorb it but only Sable really kinda wants to be in on Meloetta in any capacity. If it's predicted, LO Meloetta still hits Gengar

0 Atk Life Orb Meloetta Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 221-263 (85.3 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

I have absolutely 0 Idea your ev spread but I'm guessing it's probably 252 Attack. Needless to say, that's an OHKO even from psychic form. So bar sableye, you're probably not going to find something super comfortable with eating meloetta's relic song, having her switch to physical and possibly getting sleep.

Edit note: Edited in quote due to sniping.

Sylveon in some situations to Chansey (ignoring clefable, I think clef's cleric set is a waste of potential), Sylveon is overshadowed hard enough that people getting into the tier shouldn't really use Sylveon as a cleric. The benefits generally comes if you've got a lot of natural fight-weaks on a stall team (old heatran stall for example) or if you just get rough and dicked by some really strange sub user (mostly kyub, since sub kyub generally doesn't run iron head). The only other reason is not wanting to be the easiest switch of Bisharp's life and having a hate boner out for Mandibuzz packing taunt. Otherwise, you're 100% going to use chansey. Even the spec set takes a huge hit mostly due to inherent issues (speed) and the fact that Sable stall generally packs multiple ways to stop a fairy. Not only should it drop from C-, unless someone has some reason for a spec set viability in a volcanion meta, it should probably just drop completely out.
While I am personally on the fence of Sylveon dropping, I don't think it should go unranked, at least not until it drops from OU to UU (which I personally am pessimistic about). Yes, Volcanion does make its life harder, but it can still hit like a truck and pivot out with Baton Pass. Its Special Defense isn't anything to sneeze at, either. However, it should not be your first choice for a teamslot, as there are many other Pokemon that can do its job better.
Like I said, if it does drop from OU to UU, then go ahead and unrank it.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I believe the A-Rank can be separated akin to the OU VR thread of Gen 5: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bw-ou-viability-ranking.3551993/ with the alpha, beta, gamma etc (of course it doesn't have to include Greek alphabet, but you get the idea). This can help dissociate the gap of viability within the rank atm and could clarify things a bit more easier imo.
I don't think this is necessary since our A+ ranking is not as bloated as BW2's (22 vs. 32 if I counted correctly), plus we don't need to introduce arguing about sub-subranks for "exact" placements. Nothing wrong with having a little bit of leeway.

i agree that there is currently a bit of a gap between some of the stuff in A+, for example, and i definitely think dropping some of the lower ranking mons totally can help solve that problem as bludz outlined. i don't necessarily agree with the examples he brought up (thund, mega meta, zard-x), but i agree with the concept as a whole. those mons should be specifically discussed after the decision on this is made by the VR team rather than now imo.

as for what to do with these lower tier mons: bring back E Rank. i've brought this up before to certain people privately, and the argument is usually that E rank was stuff that was pretty terrible, and that it wouldn't be beneficial to have newer players seeing that. however, with stuff potentially totally dropping off the list, the quality of the E rank mons is raised a bit. if an E rank is implemented, it should be the same as it was previously where those mons aren't allowed to be discussed in the thread or w.e. overall i think it'd be a fantastic place for stuff like umbreon, roserade, xatu, krookodile, haxorus, sylveon, stunfisk, meloetta, honchkrow, emboar, etc...

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I think it would be a valuble change to add a description to each rank. This adds a level of objectivity to it and discussion on mons dropping/rising can be focused into several discussions about whether or not it fills the given criteria, almost like what( is supposed to) happen in suspect discussions. An example of this would be something along the lines of "A rank: These pokemon fill several important roles effectively and are typically easy to fit onto teams" where A+ would mean that it fufills the criteria for A rank well, A- being barely fufills criteria, etc. This is also valuble because aside from minimizing the subjectivity in discussions on viability, it also helps to give new players who know absolutely nothing about a meta a platform to work off of. I remember using things like rhyperior in ou when i first started getting into pokemon because i simply did not have any point of reference to work off of, and assumed c rank was good pokemon that just arent as good as A ranks. Nowadays i can look at the pokemon in each subrank and get a clear picture of its viability based on that, but its not so easy if you know absolutely nothing about a meta beforehand. Just a little reccomendation

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it would be a valuble change to add a description to each rank. This adds a level of objectivity to it and discussion on mons dropping/rising can be focused into several discussions about whether or not it fills the given criteria, almost like what( is supposed to) happen in suspect discussions. An example of this would be something along the lines of "A rank: These pokemon fill several important roles effectively and are typically easy to fit onto teams" where A+ would mean that it fufills the criteria for A rank well, A- being barely fufills criteria, etc. This is also valuble because aside from minimizing the subjectivity in discussions on viability, it also helps to give new players who know absolutely nothing about a meta a platform to work off of. I remember using things like rhyperior in ou when i first started getting into pokemon because i simply did not have any point of reference to work off of, and assumed c rank was good pokemon that just arent as good as A ranks. Nowadays i can look at the pokemon in each subrank and get a clear picture of its viability based on that, but its not so easy if you know absolutely nothing about a meta beforehand. Just a little reccomendation
We used to have rank descriptions, but they were removed because people were relying on them too much when nominating instead of making substantial arguments. Or something like that, they were deleted a while ago.

Last edited:
I really don't agree with the idea of E rank simply because you've still got the same stuff that is generally viewed as 'bad' from D just stretching the ranks to E instead of just being off rated. From the E ranks I've seen, a mon is probably more viable to not be on the list altogether than to be mentioned in an E rank. At least from being off the list entirely, a mon doesn't have to take the kind of "Oh it's E rank so it's shit" treatment to be ranked higher if the meta comes back towards it.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Adding more divisions like that to the A ranks just make them more complex to understand and add unneeded subjectivety on a system that is already rather subjective and opinion based on its own. The A+/A/A- ranks division is perfect and much more inviting to whoever wants to try the tier for the first time.

I will love if Jirachee could explain how that ranking system works, cause Mr. Funbot right here failed to explain that 100%

Also, can people stop shitting on Sylveon for no actual reason? We get it is lackluster/bad/insert derrogative term here but for the love of God, the guy up there compared it to freaking chansey! They arent even comparable, wtf. Keep it at C- and been done with it thanks to its specs set and nice damage output (volcanion isnt a switch-in, folks), it is dropping to UU soon hopefully so your hate boners can calm down.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Adding more divisions like that to the A ranks just make them more complex to understand and add unneeded subjectivety on a system that is already rather subjective and opinion based on its own. The A+/A/A- ranks division is perfect and much more inviting to whoever wants to try the tier for the first time.

I will love if Jirachee could explain how that ranking system works, cause Mr. Funbot right here failed to explain that 100%

Also, can people stop shitting on Sylveon for no actual reason? We get it is lackluster/bad/insert derrogative term here but for the love of God, the guy up there compared it to freaking chansey! They arent even comparable, wtf. Keep it at C- and been done with it thanks to its specs set and nice damage output (volcanion isnt a switch-in, folks), it is dropping to UU soon hopefully so your hate boners can calm down.
What is there to explain? It's basically adding more divisions within the rank and they do not have proper definition comparable to the a-/a/a+ system currently. Their will always be discrepancy between the Pokemon writhin the ranks (which is kinda unavoidable), but at least by adding more sub-divisions, these differences can be stretched out and divided as best as possible. I didn't say their needs to be as many divisions as the gen 5 rankings have.

Maybe it was unclear why I chose Volcanion but Volc's pure damage output, faster speed and similar role pushes Sylveon's spec set's viability even farther back. Edit: I should mention that there isn't an assumption that they have coverage that is the least bit comparable. However, my assumption made is you're not going to pack on a ton of spec/LO special attackers on most offensive teams and their stats do fall similarly enough to be compared in a position of generic Special damage threat.

If you wish to challenge me on a Chansey/Sylveon comparison, please lead off. In terms of a stall team, they're both competing for the same spot. Regardless of how similar/dissimilar you feel they are, they will never compete for a spot on stall OUTSIDE a cleric spot.

p2

Banned deucer.
why does sylveon discussion never fail to make my brain explode

it's already c- give it a break jesus christ. people pushing for an unranking are idiots because it's still part of the tier by usage, therefore it must be ranked, and it is definitely better than some of the garbage sitting in d rank.

post came off pretty aggressive, but for the love of god please stop the sylveon hate bandwagon its incredibly obnoxious :{

Last edited:
p2 you realize part of the discussion is deranking a lot of stuff already in D right? This isn't "Hey sylveon is the worst mon ever" (I even pointed out I still use it). This is "hey if we're going to go through demoting all these mons, Sylveon probably needs to be included". I would've spoken on more stuff (like cloyster for example) to be deranked if I had any idea the current usage of it on offensive teams. I spoke strictly from what can be used defensively.

i don't really see arguing any of the pokemon that would be affected by this change as something productive... it kinda relies on the idea by VR team to actually go into place. if it doesn't, we're just arguing about sylveon being absolute trash or almost absolute trash for absolutely no reason right now :3c

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
p2 you realize part of the discussion is deranking a lot of stuff already in D right? This isn't "Hey sylveon is the worst mon ever" (I even pointed out I still use it). This is "hey if we're going to go through demoting all these mons, Sylveon probably needs to be included". I would've spoken on more stuff (like cloyster for example) to be deranked if I had any idea the current usage of it on offensive teams. I spoke strictly from what can be used defensively.
The thing is that Sylveon shouldn't be included. It's a lot more immediately threatening than Clefable with a Specs set, while also having much better special defense than the Tank-Fable set. There is also Calm Mind Baton Pass which is amazing against balanced teams and it's also a lot more threatening offensively than Celebi with said set. Both these niches aren't the most important for sure and both Celebi and Clefable have many niches (arguably more important niches most of the time) that Sylveon does not have, but that's where the difference between S / B+ and C- is drawn. Unranking Sylveon is implying Specs is completely outclassed by other offensive fairies and CM BP is completely outclassed by Celebi, which obviously isn't the case.

I wasn't even aware people had a different third set (BP) for Sylveon right now, so I'll definitely concede that point. If it's good enough to make it viable, then I'll not continue this line of thought.

But for the specs set, my question is what does that set intend to hit hard that you wouldn't see from something like Volcanion? I don't think I'm wrong in assuming that Sylveon probably competes with Volcanion if not at least indirectly for a spot there. Like I think it has a slight bit more power than Volcanion on stab:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 280-330 (82.1 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 257-304 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Am I wrong in thinking that Sylveon won't be looking to compete with Volcanion/Serperior/(Diancie-M)/(Gard-M) in this role of special attacker when it uses a specs set? If not, what specifically makes you consider sylveon over aforementioned choices in that role?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't want to sound like I'm minimodding (my apologies if it comes across as such), but honestly I think that discussion on these kinds of things would be better left until after we see what the rankings look like after the de-cluttering happens as opposed to before. Its all well and good to argue that Sylveon should be C- or D or whatever, but while it may be the case that its better than things in their current positions, it doesn't change the fact that it may not be better than things in D after the de-cluttering--which will most likely be the next shift--and as such arguing for it to be in C- or D based on what we can currently see is completely pointless. Like, the more middling/higher ranks its a little more forgiving as the implied position of Pokémon X if Pokémon Y moves is going to be a little more clear-cut, but when we don't even know if the stuff that Sylveon is above atm are even going to stay ranked it is literally just a waste of effort to defend it based on what we can see. It will most likely drop relative to everything else when it happens, and until then it'd just be easier to see where it sits after the de-cluttering and then to argue relative to that as opposed to the current state of the rankings.

Just my two cents on the matter. Mods feel free to delete this if you feel like it is de-railing the thread or whatever, but I just wanted to say this.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We considered splitting up into more A ranks similar to the BW OU but I think the solution we outlined makes more sense.

Regarding how to handle the thread that's one thing I prefer is not discussed here as that is in the hands of the ranking team. Make noms here all you want and when it's about shitmons for too long then someone will intervene but ultimately discussion of viability is the goal here. If you have ideas of how to run the thread you can PM me but my earlier post was to give you guys a heads up, not to open the door to discuss how we should do things.

Regarding E rank i think it's basically absurd to have a list of mons on the thread that we are banned from talking about. Sure I come in and scold you guys for arguing about Sylveon but that's because it's a heated 2 page argument (referring to last time) about a mostly irrelevant mon, not because the discussion itself isn't allowed.

I hope we can move on and talk about some more relevant stuff now. Wish I had a nom off the top but I don't so someone take it away please

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Re: about the Bw rankings comparison

It only works as well as it does cause the group of people are 1. More active higher level player base to justify it with much more sound reasoning than generalizations 2. Less traffic due to that more focused group.

Its also a lie to state that it works as a fact cause if you read the first page there were clearly disagreements on placements and ranking philosophies by reputable players mind you. You can carry on with w/e is being discussed just wanted to point that out.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Re: about the Bw rankings comparison

It only works as well as it does cause the group of people are 1. More active higher level player base to justify it with much more sound reasoning than generalizations 2. Less traffic due to that more focused group.

Its also a lie to state that it works as a fact cause if you read the first page there were clearly disagreements on placements and ranking philosophies by reputable players mind you. You can carry on with w/e is being discussed just wanted to point that out.
Just to note that I think comparing the discussion from that thread is kinda not totally just able as the mons were ranked within their respective ranks. We also have a rankings council here which would make the ultimate decisions on the placements as well. The philosophy of tiering and divisions discrepancy will always be scrutinized by player subjectives no matter what the rankings system is based on also. I find the differential viability within a lot of the "Top Threats" in the OU metagame atm is kinda varied, so implementing a system like this can maybe remedy this problem. Just my view on this.

i got you bludz , just a few quick noms and i'll elaborate further if requested

A- -> B+
What is keeping Hippowdon at A-? In the current metagame, it's almost completely encompassed by Tyranitar as a sand setter and with the decline of Electric-types it's niche as a check towards them hasn't become as imperative as before, not to mention Thundurus, has adapted to it with the ubiquity of Grass Knot variants and there is an absurbly large amount of checks to it that are all extremely well in the meta. Currently, there is rarely any reason to use it over Landorus-T or Garchomp so it's spotlight has long faded.

C+ to C
ben gay brought this up a few pages back and i agree. Tyrantrum has little niche in the metagame aside from a recoiless Head Smash, but is that truly enough of a reason to consider it over Band Tyranitar or Terrakion, two similarly powerful Rock-types that bring a lot more to the table than it. Considering Dragon Dance sets, it's almost totally outdone by Mega Charizard X or even Dragonite in that aspect.

D to Unranked
Going off what I said in the above noms, Fighting-types are incredible right now, but Pangoro does not lie in that criteria. With competition such as Terrakion, Mega Medicham, and Mega Lopunny there's very little reason to even consider Pangoro with so many better options that are despite it's relatively obscure niche, simply put, so much better than it.

more controversial nom
A -> A-
Mega Gyarados is really starting to struggle to cement itself a solid place in the metagame. With Grass-types such as Physically Defensive Tangrowth and Amoonguss seeing a ton more usage and Fighting-types more prominent than ever, it doesn't really fit the criteria of an A, especially a ranking occupied by Mega Latias and Mega Medicham. Obviously when supported very well it's incredibly scary to face, but the support it requires to function as well as it'd like is what holds it back.

A few other noms I has were Thundurus-T to C+ and Conkeldurr to C, but i suppose they may be more controversial. Thundurus-T faces huge competition from Thundurus-I and with the recent decline of electric-types a drop would be fit for it and Conkeldurr fits the Pangoro argument, that there is very little reason to even use it when there are better options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)