Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

For Fell Stinger:

Gen VI text: "When the user knocks out a target with this move, the user's Attack stat rises sharply."
Gen VII text: "When the user knocks out a target with this move, the user's Attack stat rises drastically."

Could someone please confirm whether Fell Stinger now raises Attack by 3 or more levels when it K.O.s a Pokémon?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Some clarification on this: with those Special Z-Moves, is it possible to hack them so as to use them without a Z-Crystal as a held item? How about on Pokemon other than their typical users? (These questions are for Balanced Hackmons, basically)
Special Z-Moves function normally regardless of user or item. Ex Life Orb Arceus can use Pulverizing Pancake.

For Fell Stinger:

Gen VI text: "When the user knocks out a target with this move, the user's Attack stat rises sharply."
Gen VII text: "When the user knocks out a target with this move, the user's Attack stat rises drastically."

Could someone please confirm whether Fell Stinger now raises Attack by 3 or more levels when it K.O.s a Pokémon?
Yes, this is true. Fell Stinger now gives a +3 Attack boost. If I'm remembering correctly, it's also had its power raised to 50.

OK, so this is another vague pie-in-the-sky question, so apologies in advance. Has Quash been buffed at all? Specifically does it either have priority or pseudo-priority like Pursuit? It's baffling to me that this move, which is effectively useless even in doubles, is still a TM.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK, so this is another vague pie-in-the-sky question, so apologies in advance. Has Quash been buffed at all? Specifically does it either have priority or pseudo-priority like Pursuit? It's baffling to me that this move, which is effectively useless even in doubles, is still a TM.
No priority change to Quash.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Thanks. When this happens, can their 1 PP be restored by a Leppa Berry?
Yes

And apologies for pursuing this, but have you tested for Pursuit-like priority, or just looked at the data dump (which I'm sure confirms it doesn't have real priority)? I do realize that I am reaching here.
For pursuit-like priority, we'd need some sort of trigger to go along with it. I can't really think of any trigger that would be relevant to Quash, so I'm pretty positive the move still does nothing but up a TM slot.

For pursuit-like priority, we'd need some sort of trigger to go along with it. I can't really think of any trigger that would be relevant to Quash, so I'm pretty positive the move still does nothing but up a TM slot.
I'm sure you're correct. I just hoped for the trigger to be: the target tries to use a move. And then the move gets delayed. But really there's no actual reason for GameFreak to do that when they could just do a normal priority change instead. It's a move with so much doubles potential, and GameFreak insists on making it useless. Oh well.

Probably the easiest way to determine whether the mystery flag controls what will bypass Baneful Bunker is to see if either Beat Up or Fling bypass it. Any chance of testing those?

Ummm sorry for the question, but how is Quash useless in doubles when Prankster Sableye can learn it?

Also, does using Symbiosis to pass an item to a Pokemon that just used Eject Button still cause the glitch where the received item does it's function twice? (Sitrus healing twice, etc).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I was fighting a wild female Drampa with my False Swipe Golisopod. The Golisopod was above 50% and the Drampa was at 1HP. I was waiting for the female Drampa to call help, because I wanted to catch a male one.
Pretty sure the Drampa was at +1 because of its Ability. It used Dragon Pulse on my Golisopod and took me down to just above red from above 50%. I used Full Restore. A few turns later it took me down to below 50% again. Emergency Exit never activated.

My Golisopod had a far higher level.
I've tested this forwards and backwards: Level difference doesn't matter. Enemy HP doesn't matter. Berserk doesn't have some hidden effect blocking Emergency Exit (by the way, I'm guessing someone said Sheer Force doesn't stop Emergency Exit in the thread already because it's in the OP, but whoever said it was lying, it totally does). I've tested even the most asinine details, like if Gender impacts EE or if Pulse moves for some bizarre reason suppress it. Under the circumstances described, Emergency Exit should have always triggered.

Per chance: what item was your Golisopod holding an item (if any)? This is the only detail I can even think of that might somehow impact this situation.

Does the color of Minior's core depend on anything like Nature, IVs, etc., or is it completely random?
This is only a wild guess but it's probably tied to PID.

This is only a wild guess but it's probably tied to PID.
It was holding Leftovers and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that I subbed to <50% in the battle, healed with Full Restore and then was taken below 50% by DPulse when I didn't have a Substitute.

Maybe reaching below 50% through the use of Substitute messes with EE for the rest of the battle?

I'm certain that Drampa took me from above 50% to below 50% when I didn't have a Substitute without activating EE. Twice.

I might have used an Adrenaline Orb during that battle.

The Drampa had Dragon Breath, Dragon Pulse, Safeguard and Extrasensory iirc.

Last edited:
Just a guess, maybe attacks like roar or whrilwind doesn't work as well as EE to prevent the waste of an Adrenaline Orb

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Since Normal type Z-move is still Normal-type even with Pixilate/Aerilate/Refrigerate/Galvanize...
If you put a signature Z-move like Pulverizing Pancake in a normal move slot, is it affected by those abilities ?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
It was holding Leftovers and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that I subbed to <50% in the battle, healed with Full Restore and then was taken below 50% by DPulse when I didn't have a Substitute.

Maybe reaching below 50% through the use of Substitute messes with EE for the rest of the battle?

I'm certain that Drampa took me from above 50% to below 50% when I didn't have a Substitute without activating EE. Twice.

I might have used an Adrenaline Orb during that battle.

The Drampa had Dragon Breath, Dragon Pulse, Safeguard and Extrasensory iirc.
There's already documentation that Substitute bypasses EE, but if you went above half later in the battle it should've still triggered once you were brought down below half.

Since Normal type Z-move is still Normal-type even with Pixilate/Aerilate/Refrigerate/Galvanize...
If you put a signature Z-move like Pulverizing Pancake in a normal move slot, is it affected by those abilities ?
No.

There's already documentation that Substitute bypasses EE, but if you went above half later in the battle it should've still triggered once you were brought down below half.
I'm trying to recreate this right now in the cave where Drampa are. I haven't found a Drampa yet, but I ran into a Golbat.

I subbed, waited for it to break my Substitute while False Swiping it to 1HP.
I subbed, waited for it to break my Substitute while it called another Golbat.
They both were faster. One of them broke my Substitute while the other trapped me with Mean Look. (I was just above 50% HP at this point).
The next turn one of them chipped me below 50%. Emergency Exit didn't active.

Now either this happened because of Mean Look, which is possible, or I did something again that stopped EE from triggering. It definitely was not an Adrenaline Orb against the two Golbat, because I never used it.

I'll try to find a Drampa.

EDIT:

Found a Drampa.
Golisopod subbed from 218 HP to 164 HP. Drampa attacked with Extrasensory and didn't break my Sub.
Golisopod used False Swipe and took it down to yellow. Drampa used Dragon Breath and didn't break my Sub.
Golisopod used False Swipe took the Drampa down to 1HP. Drampa used Dragon Pulse and broke my Sub. IT CALLED HELP.
Golisopod subbed from 164 HP to 110 HP (just above half of 218 HP). One of the Drampa used Safeguard the other attacked into my Sub without breaking it.
I used one of the berries that heals 10HP just because. The Drampa both attacked. The first one broke my Sub, the second one took me below 50%. Nothing happened.

I didn't have Leftovers in this battle.

My Golisopod is 30 levels higher than both of the dragons.

EDIT2:

I used Full Restore against the Drampa and kept spamming False Swipe. They took Golisopod down below 50% again. Nothing happened. Again.

I have a feeling that Substitute messes with Emergency Exit and I'm not talking about using Substitute to get below 50%.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
If a mon with Prankster (Say, Liepard) uses Copycat/Assist/Any Move-Calling move against a Dark-Type, will the move called affect the dark mon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)