Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have contact-effect abilities (Poison Touch, Static, Flame Body, Cursed Body, etc) been buffed? The Protective Pads item has me suspicious-contact effect abilities were too infrequently-triggered to be useful last gen and few people ran them, but if they've been buffed in some way, that would be a reason to add a new item to reduce their impact.

Similarly, if Cursed Body has been buffed, then Gengar might not have been as badly nerfed as previously thought.

I would try to figure this out myself, but I don't know enough about statistics to know what a good sample size and stuff is.
Given the random buff to King's Shield, seriously, how often do you try to use Normal, Fighting, and Poison attacks on Aegislash? I think this is worth testing.

I'd just like to bring this up. This Korean wiki page is saying -ate abilities got nerfed for 1.3 to 1.1 boost.

some korean pkm wiki links: https://namu.wiki/w/보만다#s-3.2
https://namu.wiki/w/님피아

I don't quite know just how valid their claims are but I found it interesting and 1.1 seems like it's a more appropriate boost for being "small" as the description of -ate abilities imply. Sorry to brig this up all of a sudden.

edit: actually all Korean wiki/sources are saying the aerilate boost is now 1.1 and not 1.2, or 1.3. If that's true...that's a HUGE nerf. However, I'm not sure if I can trust them over Smogon tests since the Korean sites don't actually put any citations for the tests that actually prove the nerf was for 1.3 to 1.2.

edit2: if it has been confirmed that it's 1.2, not 1.1 or 1.3, then I apologize and do remove this post to avoid confusion.
I believe it has been nerfed to 1.1. Remember that it was the ability of Mega Salamence, who it may not be much, but during the short time it was in Ou, is like having Palkia, Dialga, Yveltal or Ho-Oh* in OU.

Notice that elements of broken elements in previous elements were nerfed, specially if it affects Battle Spot.
Mega Kangaskhan was broken in Battle Spot >>>> Parental Bond was nerfed from 50% to 25%.
Mega Salamance was absurd in Battle Spot >>>> Mega Salamence was nerfed from 1,3x to 1,1x. Also, a 133 BP Physical and a 117 BP Special was too much for Game Freak. For Special attacks, GF considers that more than 90 BP is too much.
Weather wars were too common, specially in Doubles >>>> Auto-weather was nerfed to 5 turns, if you want a few more, 8 turns if you have the correspond item. Also, The BP of many weather-dependant moves were nerfed (Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Hurricane).
Gems were overpowered, specially in Battle Spot/VGC >>>> At first, nerf to 30%. When it was proven it was absurd and that are totally absurd (VGC 2013), not release in XY at all. For one reason, GF forgot one of the Gems, Normal Gem, which survived. Reason: Fairy Gem was coded, meaning that the decision of removing them was done late. Also, Draco Meteor was nerfed.
-Prankster Paralysis from Thundurus-I was broken >>> Now, Electric types are inmune to paralysis, Dark-types are inmune to Prankster and Paralysis only cut speed by half (Meaning that Agility can counter Paralysis).
-Smeargle was centralizing in VgC >>> Nerf to 50% and because it was deemed too broken (VGC 2016), block for anything except Darkrai, who is an event Pokemon.
-Priority Flying Attacks were too much (talonflame survived in Ou because the no release of Flying Gem and that it takes 50% from Stealth Rock) >>> Gale Wings only works at full HP.

Notice that Pokemon who may be centralizing in Singles 6vs6, but not in VgC or Battle Spot, were not nerfed (Stealth Rock is non-existant in Battle Spot or VgC, specially when the nerf to Gale Wings). Greninja were not nerfed because in Singles 3vs3 it was great, but not that broken. Same with Mega Lucario (in Singles it's great but defeatable, in Doubles it's a mid-high threat). And Pheromosa, in Singles 3x3 it's great, but the main reason that makes broken in OU it's only in 6vs6 Singles (U-turn). In Doubles 4x4, and Doubles 6x6, Pheromosa would be forced to run a good move that is resisted by half of the tier (Bug Buzz) or it's a move that in VGC you should only for emergencies (Focus Blast), because in Doubles High Jump Kick is totally unviable.

GF doesn't care about Event Pokemon being "balanced"; other thing is that in many cases, because they are thinking in being more cute to sell than actually powerful, there were weak event Pokemon and it may fit better in OU than in Ubers (and in some cases, a lower tiers).

And lower tiers? Lower tiers is a fan-made list mainly used to evade using bad Pokemon into the "standard tier". The only thing is that in Wifi Battles 6vs6 outside Japan, generally the lists of either Smogon or Pokemon Online are used of reference of what's eligible or not.

*In pre-HGSS it could be a bit borderline because Stealth Rock were totally centralizing and it doesn't have a good Flying STAB, but right now with Brave Bird, Regenerator and Defog it's unviable

Was taking my weekly stroll through this thread when I saw these.
I'd just like to bring this up. This Korean wiki page is saying -ate abilities got nerfed for 1.3 to 1.1 boost.

some korean pkm wiki links: https://namu.wiki/w/보만다#s-3.2
https://namu.wiki/w/님피아

I don't quite know just how valid their claims are but I found it interesting and 1.1 seems like it's a more appropriate boost for being "small" as the description of -ate abilities imply. Sorry to brig this up all of a sudden.

edit: actually all Korean wiki/sources are saying the aerilate boost is now 1.1 and not 1.2, or 1.3. If that's true...that's a HUGE nerf. However, I'm not sure if I can trust them over Smogon tests since the Korean sites don't actually put any citations for the tests that actually prove the nerf was for 1.3 to 1.2
I believe it has been nerfed to 1.1.
Now I don't want to sound rude, but I think the following calcs I did a week before should've been conclusive enough, at least for Galvanize and Pixilate.

Tested a 0 atk Galvanize A-Golem's (276 atk stat) 102 bp Return against a 252+ def Blissey (130 def). Was able to roll 279 as well as 328 damage, so there shouldn't be a shadow of doubt that Galvanize is 1.2x.

Pixilate test was similarly conclusive. 252+ Sylveon (350 SpA) vs 252/4 Blissey (307 SpD) did 133-157.
Although it's quite possible that they nerf'd Aerilate harder than the rest (which I didn't think was very likely, but now I'm not so sure). Too bad the weekend's almost over or I would've tested.

Edit: See ih8ih8sn0w's calcs a few posts down.

On a different note,
Strength Sap on a target with max HP will just lower its Attack by 1 stage.
Pretty sure it should be "Strength Sap used when the user has full HP will just lower its target's Attack by 1 stage."

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I searched this thread but couldn't find any mention of it:

I had my Oricorio out vs a Lilligant. Lilligant outsped, used Teeter Dance. My Oricorio was confused. First, the Dancer activation message came up. Then, the confusion animation played, which implies there's a confusion roll there. Oricorio successfully used Teeter Dance (ended up failing due to Own Tempo). Then, the confusion animation played AGAIN, and Oricorio successfully used its attack.

What I'm curious about is: what if I had hit myself in confusion on the copied move? Would it end my turn or try to use my attack?

Also, does this interaction only happen with Teeter Dance confusing on that specific turn? Or does it work if you're already confused?

I believe it has been nerfed to 1.1. Remember that it was the ability of Mega Salamence, who it may not be much, but during the short time it was in Ou, is like having Palkia, Dialga, Yveltal or Ho-Oh* in OU.

Notice that elements of broken elements in previous elements were nerfed, specially if it affects Battle Spot.
Mega Kangaskhan was broken in Battle Spot >>>> Parental Bond was nerfed from 50% to 25%.
Mega Salamance was absurd in Battle Spot >>>> Mega Salamence was nerfed from 1,3x to 1,1x. Also, a 133 BP Physical and a 117 BP Special was too much for Game Freak. For Special attacks, GF considers that more than 90 BP is too much.
Weather wars were too common, specially in Doubles >>>> Auto-weather was nerfed to 5 turns, if you want a few more, 8 turns if you have the correspond item. Also, The BP of many weather-dependant moves were nerfed (Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Hurricane).
Gems were overpowered, specially in Battle Spot/VGC >>>> At first, nerf to 30%. When it was proven it was absurd and that are totally absurd (VGC 2013), not release in XY at all. For one reason, GF forgot one of the Gems, Normal Gem, which survived. Reason: Fairy Gem was coded, meaning that the decision of removing them was done late. Also, Draco Meteor was nerfed.
-Prankster Paralysis from Thundurus-I was broken >>> Now, Electric types are inmune to paralysis, Dark-types are inmune to Prankster and Paralysis only cut speed by half (Meaning that Agility can counter Paralysis).
-Smeargle was centralizing in VgC >>> Nerf to 50% and because it was deemed too broken (VGC 2016), block for anything except Darkrai, who is an event Pokemon.
-Priority Flying Attacks were too much (talonflame survived in Ou because the no release of Flying Gem and that it takes 50% from Stealth Rock) >>> Gale Wings only works at full HP.

Notice that Pokemon who may be centralizing in Singles 6vs6, but not in VgC or Battle Spot, were not nerfed (Stealth Rock is non-existant in Battle Spot or VgC, specially when the nerf to Gale Wings). Greninja were not nerfed because in Singles 3vs3 it was great, but not that broken. Same with Mega Lucario (in Singles it's great but defeatable, in Doubles it's a mid-high threat). And Pheromosa, in Singles 3x3 it's great, but the main reason that makes broken in OU it's only in 6vs6 Singles (U-turn). In Doubles 4x4, and Doubles 6x6, Pheromosa would be forced to run a good move that is resisted by half of the tier (Bug Buzz) or it's a move that in VGC you should only for emergencies (Focus Blast), because in Doubles High Jump Kick is totally unviable.

GF doesn't care about Event Pokemon being "balanced"; other thing is that in many cases, because they are thinking in being more cute to sell than actually powerful, there were weak event Pokemon and it may fit better in OU than in Ubers (and in some cases, a lower tiers).

And lower tiers? Lower tiers is a fan-made list mainly used to evade using bad Pokemon into the "standard tier". The only thing is that in Wifi Battles 6vs6 outside Japan, generally the lists of either Smogon or Pokemon Online are used of reference of what's eligible or not.

*In pre-HGSS it could be a bit borderline because Stealth Rock were totally centralizing and it doesn't have a good Flying STAB, but right now with Brave Bird, Regenerator and Defog it's unviable
Well, I'm just trying to look for actual testing to confirm the changes to aerilate, whether it's been nerfed to 1.1 or 1.2. I'm not trying to talk about which change is more likely since it looks like the extensive testing has been done for galvanize and pixilate but not aerilate, which I would love to see.

Calcs of every -ate. Hopefully this will put the nerf to bed.
Below will be ability boost (according to the Nugget Bridge calc which is 1.3x), Plate+type changed move (1.2x) and the numbers.

Control calc (Normal Type with Arceus-Normal):
0- Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 33-40 (14.5 - 17.6%) -- possible 6HKO
(33, 34, 34, 34, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 37, 37, 39, 39, 39, 40)

1.1x non stab calc:
0- Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 25-30 (11 - 13.2%) -- possible 8HKO
(25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 29, 29, 29, 30)

0- Atk Aerilate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 29-35 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
(29, 30, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31, 32, 32, 32, 33, 33, 33, 34, 34, 35)

0- Atk Sky Plate Arceus Extreme Speed (Flying Type) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 27-32 (11.8 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO
(27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 29, 29, 29, 30, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31, 32)

edit: because I've gotten 2 PMs so far for this, note the 28 rolls which can't happen in 1.3x '_>'
(227)
195 == 32
165 == 30
137 == 28
108 == 29

(222)
193 == 29
164 == 29
136 == 28

(227)
195 == 32
167 == 28
139 == 28
111 == 28

0- Atk Pixilate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 29-35 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO

0- Atk Pixie Plate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 27-32 (11.8 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO

(227)
195 == 32
168 == 27
128c== 40
96 == 32

(210)
182 == 28
152 == 30
125 == 27
93 == 32

0- Atk Galvanize Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 29-35 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO

0- Atk Zap Plate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 27-32 (11.8 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO

(207)
175 == 32
146 == 30
117 == 29

(227)
196 == 31
165 == 31
138 == 27
106 == 32

0- Atk Refrigerate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 29-35 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
0- Atk Icicle Plate Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 27-32 (11.8 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO

(227)
199 == 28
172 == 27
145 == 27
114 == 31

(227)
198 == 29
171 == 27
144 == 27
113 == 31

0- Atk Arceus Waterfall (88 BP or 1.1x) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 37-45 (16.2 - 19.8%) -- possible 6HKO
(37, 37, 39, 39, 39, 40, 40, 40, 40, 42, 42, 42, 43, 43, 43, 45)

0- Atk Normalize Arceus Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 33-40 (14.5 - 17.6%) -- possible 6HKO
(33, 34, 34, 34, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 37, 37, 39, 39, 39, 40)

0- Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Waterfall (normal) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 40-48 (17.6 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO
(40, 40, 40, 42, 42, 42, 43, 43, 43, 45, 45, 45, 46, 46, 46, 48)

(227)
182 == 45
137 == 45

(277)
184 == 43
141 == 43
99 == 42

(213)
168 == 45
122 == 46

(227)
185 == 42
145 == 40
99 == 46

edited because I don't want random PMs all day asking about this...

Last edited:
I forgot to save the replay on Showdown but i used Z-parting shot with Persian against a Celesteela which used Protect. So nothing happened as expected. But the next turn, i used parting shot again, expecting a normal parting shot, but to my surprise, the pokemon i switched too got healed and cured from status.
I know Z-move go through protect but it seemed weird to me.

Can anyone test this on cartridge and tell me if this is a bug or not so that i can report it?

I forgot to save the replay on Showdown but i used Z-parting shot with Persian against a Celesteela which used Protect. So nothing happened as expected. But the next turn, i used parting shot again, expecting a normal parting shot, but to my surprise, the pokemon i switched too got healed and cured from status.
I know Z-move go through protect but it seemed weird to me.

Can anyone test this on cartridge and tell me if this is a bug or not so that i can report it?
For that matter... do status Z-Moves also ignore Protect?

Tested two things on cartridge today.

1. Like all Z-moves, Stoked Sparksurfer will go through Protect and deal 25% of its usual damage. Confirming that it will also paralyze through Protect.

2. The terrain seeds that boost defense will activate immediately after the terrain is changed, before other abilities happen. So if Tapu Koko is holding an Electric Seed and enters play at the same time as Tapu Fini, the order is Electric Surge -> Electric Seed triggers and Koko gets a defense boost -> Misty Surge.

After having spent a long time reading various threads and articles here on Smogon, I have finally made my own account so I could get some answers concerning a couple of things I saw in the Official Strategy Guide. If what I read is correct, then apparently:
  • In addition to what it already does, Aura Break now lowers the power of Fairy and Dark-type moves by 25%.
  • Steam Eruption's burn chance has been nerfed down to 10%.
Can someone please test this for verification? I'm really hoping the latter is wrong. As for the former, if it is true, does it apply to everyone on the field, only on attacks directed at the Pokémon with the ability (Zygarde) or both it and it's ally, or only when something with Fairy Aura or Dark Aura is on the field?

After having spent a long time reading various threads and articles here on Smogon, I have finally made my own account so I could get some answers concerning a couple of things I saw in the Official Strategy Guide. If what I read is correct, then apparently:
  • In addition to what it already does, Aura Break now lowers the power of Fairy and Dark-type moves by 25%.
Wait, Aura Break already lowered the power of Fairy- and Dark-type moves (by reversing the effects of Fairy Aura and Dark Aura). Then, supposing they are not lying, does this mean that either...

a) Fairy Aura and Dark Aura's boosts were reduced to +25%? (Conceivable considering Game Freak had the chance to see the abilities in action in the last VGC, and Xerneas was predictably amazing, but would not dare to nerf Geomancy)
b) Aura Break applies two nerfs to Fairy- or Dark-type moves if Xerneas or Yveltal, respectively, is out as well? If so, Aura Break + Fairy Aura would be -50% Fairy damage, and Aura Break + Dark Aura would be -50% Dark damage.

Testing a few status moves since there are too many to actually test.
Z-Toxic didn't break protect (used the z-stone).
Z-Parting Shot did not break protect (used the z-stone).
Z-Haze ignored protect (although this is the case for normal haze).
Z-Tail whip did not break protect.

On another note, confirming that Prankster Haze does not get blocked by Dark types (or Queenly Majesty/Dazzling and Psychic Terrain), and protect still fails on switch (just something random that I did by accident).

Wait, Aura Break already lowered the power of Fairy- and Dark-type moves (by reversing the effects of Fairy Aura and Dark Aura). Then, supposing they are not lying, does this mean that either...

a) Fairy Aura and Dark Aura's boosts were reduced to +25%? (Conceivable considering Game Freak had the chance to see the abilities in action in the last VGC, and Xerneas was predictably amazing, but would not dare to nerf Geomancy)
b) Aura Break applies two nerfs to Fairy- or Dark-type moves if Xerneas or Yveltal, respectively, is out as well? If so, Aura Break + Fairy Aura would be -50% Fairy damage, and Aura Break + Dark Aura would be -50% Dark damage.
I can start testing this now, will add to my next post since there is a good amount of calcs to do...

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This (probably) isn't an intended mechanic but here's another Sky Drop bug!

If a Pokemon uses Sky Drop on a pokemon with rough skin/iron barbs and dies from the recoil, the rough skin/iron barbs pokemon will not reappear on screen. It'll still get hit as though it's on the ground, so it's mostly a graphical bug lol.

The player's guide also says Helping Hand will make the ally's Pollen Puff heal more than 50% HP if used on an ally (the Helping Hand user) or deal more damage (obviously) to the opponent if used against them.
Does Helping Hand boost Heal Pulse?
As for tracing the ability, it does not happen in game (tried with trace and Mimikyu both as a lead and trace switching in on Mimikyu).
Is there a list of Abilities that can't be:
  • Copied by Power of Alchemy / Receiver
  • Traced
  • Entrained
  • Copied by Role Play
  • Replaced by Simple Beam / Worry Seed
  • Swapped by Skill Swap?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Steam Eruption's burn chance has been nerfed down to 10%.
This is completely false; does the guide really say this?
Code:
Gen 6 Steam Eruption data
0A 04 02 6E 5F 05 00 00 04 00 1E 01 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 53 48 04 00 00
                              ^
                              |  secondary effect 0x1E = 30% chance
                              v
0A 04 02 6E 5F 05 00 00 04 00 1E 01 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 82 02 B9 00 04 64 48 04 00 00
Gen 7 Steam Eruption data

Ema Skye

Work!
I used First Impression on Golisopod's second turn in battle on cartridge and it worked.

Maybe it's a move you can only use once while it's in battle?

I used First Impression on Golisopod's second turn in battle on cartridge and it worked.

If it's like Fake out then "first turn" refers to the first turn you get to use a move. The turn you send it out to tank a hit doesnt count as first turn since you dont get to use a move

It works the same was as it did in gen 6. Either way, here are the rolls...

0- Atk Xerneas Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 80-96 (37.2 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(80, 80, 80, 84, 84, 84, 86, 86, 86, 90, 90, 90, 92, 92, 92, 96)

0- Atk Fairy Aura Xerneas Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 62-74 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO
(62, 62, 62, 66, 66, 66, 66, 68, 68, 68, 68, 72, 72, 72, 72, 74)

(215)
153 == 62

(166)
104 == 62

(117)
43 == 74

(164)
92 == 72

(200)
138 == 62

(215)
143 == 72

(215)
153 == 62

(215)
143 == 72

(215)
153 == 62

0- Atk Xerneas Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 18-22 (8.3 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever (no aura break)
(18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22)

0- Atk Xerneas Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 18-22 (8.3 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever (with aura break)
(215)
194 == 21
173 == 21
154 == 19
134 == 20
113 == 21
95 == 18

(203)
182 == 21
163 == 19
144 == 19
124 == 20

0- Atk Arceus Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 17-21 (7.9 - 9.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
(17, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21)
(215)
175 == 40
155 == 20
116 == 39
90 == 26

(198)
179 == 19
160 == 19
139 == 21
121 == 18

0- Atk Arceus Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 50-60 (23.2 - 27.9%) -- 72.2% chance to 4HKO
(50, 50, 52, 52, 52, 54, 54, 54, 54, 56, 56, 56, 58, 58, 58, 60)
(215)
163 == 52

(187)
131 == 56

(215)
163 == 52
105 == 58

(227)
163 == 64
109 == 54

0- Atk Yveltal Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 27-33 (12.5 - 15.3%) -- possible 7HKO
(27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31, 31, 33)
0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 21-25 (9.7 - 11.6%) -- possible 9HKO
(21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25)

(215)
193 == 22
172 == 21
150 == 22
126 == 24

(215)
193 == 22
171 == 22

0- Atk Yveltal Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 54-64 (25.1 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(54, 54, 54, 56, 56, 56, 58, 58, 58, 60, 60, 60, 62, 62, 62, 64)
(215)
161 == 54
103 == 58

(211)
157 == 54
97 == 60

(205)
141 == 64
87 == 54

(195)
139 == 56
83 == 56

If it's like Fake out then "first turn" refers to the first turn you get to use a move. The turn you send it out to tank a hit doesnt count as first turn since you dont get to use a move
Confirming that it does act like fake out. Just tested in game. (It fails if you use a move then First Impression.)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I searched this thread but couldn't find any mention of it:

I had my Oricorio out vs a Lilligant. Lilligant outsped, used Teeter Dance. My Oricorio was confused. First, the Dancer activation message came up. Then, the confusion animation played, which implies there's a confusion roll there. Oricorio successfully used Teeter Dance (ended up failing due to Own Tempo). Then, the confusion animation played AGAIN, and Oricorio successfully used its attack.

What I'm curious about is: what if I had hit myself in confusion on the copied move? Would it end my turn or try to use my attack?

Also, does this interaction only happen with Teeter Dance confusing on that specific turn? Or does it work if you're already confused?
Yes, you roll for confusion when you copy a move with Dancer. Additionally, this DOES count for a confusion turn. It doesn't look like you can Dancer Teeter Dance when you're already confused.

This led to some more testing. Paralysis and Freeze Roll on Dancer, and a Sleep Turn is also used up by Dancer's activation. If a Dance move fails (this includes having +6 on a move like Swords Dance) Dancer can't copy it, but if the Dancer's move would fail (and the attacker's didn't) Dancer DOES copy the move.

It works the same was as it did in gen 6. Either way, here are the rolls...

0- Atk Xerneas Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 80-96 (37.2 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(80, 80, 80, 84, 84, 84, 86, 86, 86, 90, 90, 90, 92, 92, 92, 96)

0- Atk Fairy Aura Xerneas Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 62-74 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO
(62, 62, 62, 66, 66, 66, 66, 68, 68, 68, 68, 72, 72, 72, 72, 74)

(215)
153 == 62

(166)
104 == 62

(117)
43 == 74

(164)
92 == 72

(200)
138 == 62

(215)
143 == 72

(215)
153 == 62

(215)
143 == 72

(215)
153 == 62

0- Atk Xerneas Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 18-22 (8.3 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever (no aura break)

0- Atk Xerneas Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 18-22 (8.3 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever (with aura break)
(215)
194 == 21
173 == 21
154 == 19
134 == 20
113 == 21
95 == 18

(203)
182 == 21
163 == 19
144 == 19
124 == 20

0- Atk Arceus Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 17-21 (7.9 - 9.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
(17, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21)
(215)
175 == 40
155 == 20
116 == 39
90 == 26

(198)
179 == 19
160 == 19
139 == 21
121 == 18

0- Atk Arceus Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 50-60 (23.2 - 27.9%) -- 72.2% chance to 4HKO
(50, 50, 52, 52, 52, 54, 54, 54, 54, 56, 56, 56, 58, 58, 58, 60)
(215)
163 == 52

(187)
131 == 56

(215)
163 == 52
105 == 58

(227)
163 == 64
109 == 54

0- Atk Yveltal Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 27-33 (12.5 - 15.3%) -- possible 7HKO
(27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31, 31, 33)
0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 21-25 (9.7 - 11.6%) -- possible 9HKO
(21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25)

(215)
193 == 22
172 == 21
150 == 22
126 == 24

(215)
193 == 22
171 == 22

0- Atk Yveltal Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde: 54-64 (25.1 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(54, 54, 54, 56, 56, 56, 58, 58, 58, 60, 60, 60, 62, 62, 62, 64)
(215)
161 == 54
103 == 58

(211)
157 == 54
97 == 60

(205)
141 == 64
87 == 54

(195)
139 == 56
83 == 56

Confirming that it does act like fake out. Just tested in game. (It fails if you use a move then First Impression.)
Is the normal Fairy Aura boost still the same when Aura Break isn't in effect? Unsure if the numbers given cover that.

Another thing to test, since Shadow Shield etc ignore Mold Breaker: can they be removed with Gastro Acid and/or Skill Swapped? (I know they can be Traced, had it happen with an opponent's Mega Alakazam vs my Lunala ingame.)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Is the normal Fairy Aura boost still the same when Aura Break isn't in effect? Unsure if the numbers given cover that.

Another thing to test, since Shadow Shield etc ignore Mold Breaker: can they be removed with Gastro Acid and/or Skill Swapped? (I know they can be Traced, had it happen with an opponent's Mega Alakazam vs my Lunala ingame.)
I know they can be skill swapped because I did that to test some things involving Moongeist Beam vs Shadow Shield.

Now tested Gastro/Worry Seed, they both work vs Shadow Shield. It looks like it's only mold breaker effects that they're additionally immune to.

This is completely false; does the guide really say this?
Code:
Gen 6 Steam Eruption data
0A 04 02 6E 5F 05 00 00 04 00 1E 01 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 53 48 04 00 00
                              ^
                              |  secondary effect 0x1E = 30% chance
                              v
0A 04 02 6E 5F 05 00 00 04 00 1E 01 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 82 02 B9 00 04 64 48 04 00 00
Gen 7 Steam Eruption data
Yes, it does. Thank you for checking this, though. I'm very glad this hasn't changed like I had originally feared.
Also, thank you guys for also checking Aura Break for me. Man, it would have been awesome if it actually had gotten a buff.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)