Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Confirming Iron Ball's speed drop is now ignored by Klutz. You still can't use Fling with Klutz, but at least Trick Iron Ball is an option again, I guess....

I would like to see the descriptions of the z moves in question. I want to know if the healing is of z-Parting Shot is intentional.
I have no idea what would possess you to think a game mechanic that very much has to be intentionally programmed could possibly be in error but here you go anyways: "[Pokemon] will restore its replacement's HP using its Z-Power!"

EDIT: Ohh I've got some baaaaaad news.... Hazard damage procs Emergency Exit. That's probably the final nail in the coffin for Golisopod.
Edit2: And contact damage (ex iron barbs), and recoil, and sticky barb all also proc it... it looks like the exceptions listed in the OP ARE the exceptions rather than poison/burn being an exception to an otherwise direct damage rule.

Last edited:
I was told that Z-Moves keep the priority of their original move. Just now on Showdown I used Z-Aqua Jet and was outsped by a Weavile using Night Slash in regular battle conditions.
Turn 4 here for reference, you can see me be KO'd first, although I picked Z-Aqua Jet: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-485634006
Have I been misinformed about Z-Move priority or has this not been implemented correctly on Showdown?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I was told that Z-Moves keep the priority of their original move. Just now on Showdown I used Z-Aqua Jet and was outsped by a Weavile using Night Slash in regular battle conditions.
Turn 4 here for reference, you can see me be KO'd first, although I picked Z-Aqua Jet: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-485634006
Have I been misinformed about Z-Move priority or has this not been implemented correctly on Showdown?
You've been viciously lied to. Z moves don't use the base move's priority.

I'm pretty certain it's only Z-status moves that have the priority of the original move.

I have no idea what would possess you to think a game mechanic that very much has to be intentionally programmed could possibly be in error but here you go anyways: "[Pokemon] will restore its replacement's HP using its Z-Power!"
I saw it in an earlier post in this thread that I guess got overlooked. The glitch was that if the z-move failed, the next time you manually switched in a pokemon, that pokemon would be healed.

EDIT: Ohh I've got some baaaaaad news.... Hazard damage procs Emergency Exit. That's probably the final nail in the coffin for Golisopod.
Edit2: And contact damage (ex iron barbs), and recoil, and sticky barb all also proc it... it looks like the exceptions listed in the OP ARE the exceptions rather than poison/burn being an exception to an otherwise direct damage rule.
With that in mind, how do the following scenarios play out (I think I know but I want to to check):

• You have a Pokemon other than Golisopod on the battlefield. You choose to switch to Golisopod while the opponent attacks. If Golisopod takes enough hazard damage to bring it under 50% when it switches in, does it immediately switch out, causing its replacement to take the opponent's attack?
  • If you switch in Golisopod after another Pokemon was KOed and hazard damage brings it below 50%, does it immediately switch out, forcing you to pick another replacement?

Also, re: Emergency Exit.

- If an EE Pokémon gets is HP lowered below 50% when switching in due to a Mold Breaker Roar or Mold Breaker Dragon Tail. Does it activate?
(In general, are the Mold Breaker + Roar/Dragon Tail + Hazards mechanics the same as before wrt. Magic Guard / Immunity?)

- If an EE Pokémon gets its HP lowered below 50% due to recoil/barbs/etc while in the middle of executing a multihit sequence, does EE activate immediately, or does it wait until the move finishes? Is the on-recoil activation suppressed by Sheer Force if the used move has a secondary effect?

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I was prompted to check if EE triggers on LO, and it does.

With that in mind, how do the following scenarios play out (I think I know but I want to to check):

• You have a Pokemon other than Golisopod on the battlefield. You choose to switch to Golisopod while the opponent attacks. If Golisopod takes enough hazard damage to bring it under 50% when it switches in, does it immediately switch out, causing its replacement to take the opponent's attack?
  • If you switch in Golisopod after another Pokemon was KOed and hazard damage brings it below 50%, does it immediately switch out, forcing you to pick another replacement?
Emergency Exit functions like a U-Turn, so even if Golisopod is forced out on a switch-in the turn continues as normal once the replacement comes in (you can't generate free turns like a sack can).
Golisopod is immediately forced out if hazards drop him below 50% when bringing him in after a KO, requiring you to bring in a replacement.

- If an EE Pokémon gets its HP lowered below 50% due to recoil/barbs/etc while in the middle of executing a multihit sequence, does EE activate immediately, or does it wait until the move finishes? Is the on-recoil activation suppressed by Sheer Force if the used move has a secondary effect?
Emergency Exit will proc at the end of the multihit move. I have no idea what you want to test with Sheer Force considering you're asking about an EE interaction here.

What happens when Prankster Whimsicott uses Z-Memento against another grounded Pokemon on Psychic Terrain?
It has no effect, and uses up your Z-Power. You don't faint.
I also tested Prankster Z-Memento vs Dark types, and it acts the same.

Emergency Exit will proc at the end of the multihit move. I have no idea what you want to test with Sheer Force considering you're asking about an EE interaction here.
One of Sheer Force's myriad of secondary effect elimination weird interactions is that it prevents an opponent's Red Card from activating because it's counted as a secondary effect of the move, much like Life Orb recoil. Presumably he's asking if Sheer Force also negates an opponent's Emergency Exit. Bulbapedia seems to think it does FWIW.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Tested this question from the OP:
  • Do Wide Guard/Quick Guard still run off Protect/Detect's last use counter?
Basic answer: yes, it works exactly the same as last generation. Wide Guard --> Protect can fail, but Protect --> Wide Guard cannot.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
One of Sheer Force's myriad of secondary effect elimination weird interactions is that it prevents an opponent's Red Card from activating because it's counted as a secondary effect of the move, much like Life Orb recoil. Presumably he's asking if Sheer Force also negates an opponent's Emergency Exit. Bulbapedia seems to think it does FWIW.
But he's acting about on-recoil activation involving EE. How can Sheer Force even be introduced into this interaction? Sheer Force doesn't trigger defensively, the only situation an EE Pokemon could be taking recoil.

But he's acting about on-recoil activation involving EE. How can Sheer Force even be introduced into this interaction? Sheer Force doesn't trigger defensively, the only situation an EE Pokemon could be taking recoil.
Oh, I missed the "on recoil" part and thought it was a separate question. Yeah, you're right, that's not a scenario that can ever happen.

Mummy fails when a Protective Pads holder makes contact with the Mummy. Gives the message: [pokemon]'s Mummy (the ability popup on the side) "Lurantis protected itself with Protective Pads!"
Didn't someone already mention that they don't protect you from (I think it was) Flame Body, so do we have a definitive list of what the Pads protect you from? (As opposed to the Long Reach ability, of which my recollection is that it was described as protecting you from all contact effects.)

Does Psychic Terrain affect the use of a Custap berry?
Doesn't it just allow the eater to move first in the priority bracket (i.e. 999 speed for that turn)? Just want to confirm before I do a test.

Didn't someone already mention that they don't protect you from (I think it was) Flame Body, so do we have a definitive list of what the Pads protect you from? (As opposed to the Long Reach ability, of which my recollection is that it was described as protecting you from all contact effects.)
I can attempt to compile a list later, but it will likely act in a similar way.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Doesn't it just allow the eater to move first in the priority bracket (i.e. 999 speed for that turn)? Just want to confirm before I do a test.
I think that's what it essentially does (i.e. it will still go after a slower Pokemon uses a priority move), but I figured it's still possible possible albeit unlikely they accounted for Custap Berry when coding Psychic Terrain.

I think that's what it essentially does (i.e. it will still go after a slower Pokemon uses a priority move), but I figured it's still possible possible albeit unlikely they accounted for Custap Berry when coding Psychic Terrain.
Custap does work under psychic terrain as if it were still +0 priority.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Requesting if somebody could test if infatuation status got nerfed in any way (i.e. see if being immobilized by love happens less). Please and thank you.

The guy in the Seafolk village that gives you the Magmarizer and Electrizer says that they power up certain pokemon. It's unlikely, but do they now boost Magmar and Electabuzz kind of like Deepsea Tooth/Scale? Though by powering them up he probably means evolution. Still, some things to test for are either boosted stats or perhaps powering up fire/electric moves.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
The guy in the Seafolk village that gives you the Magmarizer and Electrizer says that they power up certain pokemon. It's unlikely, but do they now boost Magmar and Electabuzz kind of like Deepsea Tooth/Scale? Though by powering them up he probably means evolution. Still, some things to test for are either boosted stats or perhaps powering up fire/electric moves.
Nah, it's just a hint that they evolve Magmar and Electabuzz. No boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)