Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if anyone posted this, but in game I used dig on my pokemon, then the opposing pokemon used toxic and it hit me while I was underground. Pretty sure that wasnt a mechanic in gen 6 but idk because i didnt play it lol

Aegislash used King's Shield!
Aegislash protected itself!

The opposing Pyukumuku used Counter!
Aegislash protected itself!
The opposing Pyukumuku's Attack fell harshly!

Is this a legit in-game interaction? I know the King's shield drop now applies even to moves you're immune to, but Counter shouldn't have triggered in the first place because I didn't attack that turn.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Confirming (I guess this wasn't here explicitly already?) that encore will display the failure message when used after a Z Status move.

If Mew holds Mewnium Z, and Transforms into a Pokémon with Psychic, can it still use Genesis Supernova?

Several Abilities are locked, although the list of Ability-changing effects listed seems to be different for each one, and some Abilities aren't listed, although perhaps they should. Can we clarify that:
  • Comatose
  • Disguise
  • Schooling
  • Battle Bond?
  • Power Construct?
  • RKS System?
  • Shields Down?
cannot be removed or copied via:
  • Entrainment
  • Gastro Acid
  • Mummy
  • Power of Alchemy
  • Receiver
  • Role Play
  • Simple Beam
  • Skill Swap
  • Trace
  • Worry Seed
(Or maybe they can?)

I'm curious about a very niche case: Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, and Core Enforcer vs Shield Dust. Specifically, Shield Dust ignores the secondary effects of moves, but the secondary effects of the given moves ignore abilities. Which takes precedence? This would matter in situations where like... Sogaleo somehow ends up with Poison Touch against a Shield Dust user, or perhaps in some OMs like Balanced Hackmons or STABmons.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
If Mew holds Mewnium Z, and Transforms into a Pokémon with Psychic, can it still use Genesis Supernova?

Several Abilities are locked, although the list of Ability-changing effects listed seems to be different for each one, and some Abilities aren't listed, although perhaps they should. Can we clarify that:
  • Comatose
  • Disguise
  • Schooling
  • Battle Bond?
  • Power Construct?
  • RKS System?
  • Shields Down?
cannot be removed or copied via:
  • Entrainment
  • Gastro Acid
  • Mummy
  • Power of Alchemy
  • Receiver
  • Role Play
  • Simple Beam
  • Skill Swap
  • Trace
  • Worry Seed
(Or maybe they can?)
If it constitutes a forme change (with the exception of Cherrim for some bizarre reason) the entire list can't touch it by default. Gamefreak seems to be protecting all of the other forme changes from being interrupted. That'd be all of those abilities except Comatose.

I haven't personally tested Alc/Receiver with Comatose (it's certainly blocked though), but I can confirm the rest of the list is correct.

I'm curious about a very niche case: Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, and Core Enforcer vs Shield Dust. Specifically, Shield Dust ignores the secondary effects of moves, but the secondary effects of the given moves ignore abilities. Which takes precedence? This would matter in situations where like... Sogaleo somehow ends up with Poison Touch against a Shield Dust user, or perhaps in some OMs like Balanced Hackmons or STABmons.
Mold Breaker itself ignores Shield Dust, and I haven't seen anything to imply that these moves function differently than Mold Breaker.

Edit: Decided to check anyways. Your specific example, Poison Touch + Sunsteel Strike, was able to Poison a Shield Dust Pokemon. That probably confirms that these moves are totally identical to Mold Breaker in functionality.

Does Cloud Nine/Air Lock prevent Aurora Veil from working while Hail is active? I believe Solar Beam requires two turns when Sun is active if a Pokémon with one of the aforementioned abilities is out so logically Aurora Veil would fail under the equivalent conditions.

Related question, does Weather Ball change type when a Pokémon with Cloud Nine/Air Lock is in play?

Figy, Iappa, etc... now apparently heal 50% HP when you reach the HP threshold. (source)

Does this work with Gluttony @ 50% (ie: can Snorlax belly drum -> figy to full HP?)

Completely arbitrary question on my part, but can someone spend some time testing if Hail appears to raise the chance for Ice types to freeze opponents when using freeze-possible moves?

I'll be gathering data to first see if the chance increases between hail/no-hail with Ice types. If there does appear to be a difference I'll check non-Ice types vs Ice types in hail.

If it constitutes a forme change (with the exception of Cherrim for some bizarre reason) the entire list can't touch it by default. Gamefreak seems to be protecting all of the other forme changes from being interrupted.
Huh, I only ask because the sim's code only fully protected Multitype and Stance Change in Gen 6, with other forme changes still overwritable by Gastro Acid, Mummy, Simple Beam or Worry Seed.

Receiver will get the traced ability when its Trace ally faints, as well as the Mega forme ability when a Mega evo'd ally faints. While I haven't explicitly tested anything else, it seems likely that any sort of ability change will be inherited by Receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)