Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Do you know when the game checks for status / powder immunity based on Safety Goggles in relation to these other two steps?
Yep, Safety Goggles happens after both. Technically I shouldn't lump status and powder immunities together though, since Poison Powder against Steel types with Overcoat activates Overcoat before the Steel type stops it.

Do the seeds only work on grounded pokemon, or can they activate if they are in the air?
Was this tested? I don't see any mention of this in the OP. I'd assume they wouldn't trigger, but the in-game text doesn't have the grounded part like the terrain descriptions.

On Pokemon Showdown, if a Pokemon uses Z-Mirror Move and successfully copies an opponent's attacking move, that move will become the corresponding Z-move. For instance, an Empoleon used Grass Knot, I used Z-Mirror Move and performed Bloom Doom. Does this functionality accurately emulate what would happen on cart, or is it just a Showdown glitch?

If a typeless Pokemon uses Revelation Dance, do they get STAB from it?
Revelation Dance is listed as a Normal type move but becomes the user's primary typing which is why Oricorio's revelation dance becomes Electric/Fire/Psychic/Ghost when used as that is each form's primary typing.

So in the case of a typeless Pokemon, I would guess the move remains Normal type and gets no stab similarly to how Arcanine does not have stab Extremespeed after using Burn Up because Espeed is a normal type move.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Does Guardian of Alola (Tapu Z-Move) go through Protect too? and if so, does it get it's 75% damage reduced too?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the mention of it in the OP, sorry.

If Oranguru's partner holds the Metronome item, uses its attacking move, and gets Instructed to use its move a 2nd time, does Metronome apply the damage increase multiplier on the attack's 2nd use? Or does Metronome (again, the item) not kick in until the next turn?

Something I accidentally found, using a z-crystal breaks your own illusion. Using a z-move in a normal slot does not break this.

Other thing: illusion primals still become whatever they are illusioned into after the primal animation (i.e. illusion red orb groudon with komala in the last slot will be technically a primal komala visually until pdon switches).

I saw that this was already tested, but to get more clarification.
  • Electric/Psychic/Grassy/Misty Seeds are consumed when the Pokemon is sent out while the terrain is active or if the terrain changes to the appropriate terrain while it is out. (GingerNinja87)
What happens if Tapu Bulu switches into Psychic terrain while holding Psychic Seed?
Mostly trying to get an understanding of when the item procs, is it after abilities activate?

Alternatively, Tapu Koko matching up against Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko holds Electric Seed, will Electric Seed activate? Does it check after all abilities? Does it check before and after each ability?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
What happens if Tapu Bulu switches into Psychic terrain while holding Psychic Seed?
It does not consume the Psychic Seed.

Someone asked if Lunar Dance will refill PP on normal slot Z-Moves, and it does.

Edit: Sleep Talk can call normal slot Z-Moves. It still doesn't have a textbox to say what move its calling.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's worth mentioning (or if it was even mentioned, but it's not in the OP so...) that, if you break a Mimikyu's Disguise with a recoil move, the attacker does not suffer any damage from recoil (e.g. Olivia's Relicanth, which inexplicably has Swift Swim instead of Rock Head, using Head Smash).

Last edited:
On Pokemon Showdown, if a Pokemon uses Z-Mirror Move and successfully copies an opponent's attacking move, that move will become the corresponding Z-move. For instance, an Empoleon used Grass Knot, I used Z-Mirror Move and performed Bloom Doom. Does this functionality accurately emulate what would happen on cart, or is it just a Showdown glitch?
It actually happens, at least for Me First. I haven't tried it for Mirror Move in particular myself but I've heard it functions the same way.

...Also, your question was already answered in the OP.

Edit: Sleep Talk can call normal slot Z-Moves. It still doesn't have a textbox to say what move its calling.
Building on this I guess, I only tested Guardian of Alola and 10 million volt t-bolt initially(forgot about using a normal z-move fsr). Anyways, sleep talk seems to only be able to call the "base 1" moves and nothing from the unique category.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
My waterium manaphy going for rain dance was encored into tail glow and the Z move went through as tail glow z. is this normal? I know if you encore a over you still have access to z-attacking moves like hydro vortex would it not be the same for Z status ?

Edit: Ninetales encore me on the same turn I was going for z-rain dance if this helps, all on PS not cartilage ,

Not a particularly interesting point, nor sure if it worked that way before Gen VII, but I noticed something today in the Battle Tree:

If you use Substitute and it takes your HP to Berry trigger range, the Berry is eaten after lowering the HP but before setting up the Substitute.

This is the order in which things happened when I noticed it:
- Enemy Lopunny at 26% HP.
- Lopunny uses Substitute.
- Lopunny's HP is reduced to 1%.
- Lopunny ate its Liechi Berry.
- Lopunny set up a substitute.

You can notice this in Turn 10. TQ7W-WWWW-WWW3-XNYL.

Last edited:
I can't remember if this has already been asked, but I could not find it in the OP so here it goes: Since levitating pokemon are not protected by psychic terrain, what happens if a pokemon with mold breaker (or one of its clones) tries to use priority against a pokemon with levitate while under the effects of psychic terrain?

Something that was mentioned in the Lurantis made me ask this question: are stats boosts given by status Z-Moves affected by Contrary?

Apparently, they aren't (Z-Sunny Day seemed to give a Contrary Lurantis a boost on Speed), but I don't have a Pokemon with Contrary to check.

Last edited:
does the Z-move trigger the cascade effect for boosting a stat? If the stat is boosted without that animation it should bypass stuff like contrary

does the Z-move trigger the cascade effect for boosting a stat? If the stat is boosted without that animation it should bypass stuff like contrary
It doesn't (the stat boost is mentioned in the text when activating the Z-Move), which makes me understand why it should bypass Contrary.

It should bypass Simple, as well.

Don't remember seeing it in thread or see it in OP, but a battle just now caused me to think of it.

Does Corrosion bypass Shields Down and/or Comatose?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)