All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey guys. Looking around the GSC section of Smogon, I found that the moves explosion and self destruct, even though recommended, are not in some Pokemon's move list.
For example, if you look at steelix's page, or snorlax page, and go to the move list, you will not find explosion or self destruct respectively.
They are in the simulator itself (as they are legal) just not in the Smogon Pokedex.
Who fixes this?
Thanks!
That's been a problem for years, just sayin'.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/learnsets-on-the-dex-should-now-be-fixed.3604382/

boosh

why do people call gen 4 "dpp" when hgss was the last game of gen 4?
Platinum was a noticeable change from DP (tons of move tutors, the Rotom formes, and Hypnosis accuracy), while HGSS didn't add much of anything (ESpeed Dnite is the only thing that comes to mind.) It just wasn't really a significant difference. ORAS, on the other hand, had a bunch of new megas to shake up the metagame.

Are there any plans on making a Ruins of Alph teambuilding workshop? I know there isn't too much reason to have a teambuilding workshop for a bunch of outdated generations but it would greatly help players who are interested in a previous generation. They would get to request a team, have it be built by an experienced player, and get better at teambulding by learning the teambuilding process of more experienced players.

Are there any plans on making a Ruins of Alph teambuilding workshop? I know there isn't too much reason to have a teambuilding workshop for a bunch of outdated generations but it would greatly help players who are interested in a previous generation. They would get to request a team, have it be built by an experienced player, and get better at teambulding by learning the teambuilding process of more experienced players.
There aren't any plans for one that I know of, though I'd be cool with it. I imagine an all gens version would be somewhat difficult to run (you'd need a few active and experienced teambuilders for each gen), so I'd be chill with gen specific versions as well. If a group of good players want to get something like this rolling either way, feel free to hit me up.

How are each month's RoA Rotational Ladders decided? Who decides each month's RoA Rotational Ladders?
The who is generally myself and whichever RoA PS staff weigh in on Discord. We usually shoot for formats that lack ladders (GSC UU, ADV 200, etc.), OU tweaks (Latimence DPP, No Big 4 RBY, etc.) and occasionally just weird made up stuff that could be fun (like BW and DPP AG). We used to just pick a gen that hadn't had something different in a while and figure out a format for it, but I'm shooting for a bit more consistency there starting July. Until SM is an old gen, we're gonna have RBY in Jan + July, GSC in Feb + Aug, ... ORAS in June + Dec. For now, we're still a bit weird, so it'll be Blind BW starting up tomorrow.

I'm pretty open to suggestions, btw, so feel free to PM me if there's a format you'd like to see. We tend to shy away from stuff that requires heavier programming (older LCs, classic DP, etc.), though. On that note, if there's a tech-savvy PS kid that'd like to make more complicated formats possible, hit me up~

smogon lists both timid and modest gardevoirs as good right? yet, timid seems to be ideal, I dont want to abandon my gardevoir in honesty. My question is, both natures are really good right and are both viable for gardevoir right? and secondly, how do i raise this modest gardevoir, with mega stone or none? also, why was modest gardevoir meta in vgc14

smogon lists both timid and modest gardevoirs as good right? yet, timid seems to be ideal, I dont want to abandon my gardevoir in honesty. My question is, both natures are really good right and are both viable for gardevoir right? and secondly, how do i raise this modest gardevoir, with mega stone or none? also, why was modest gardevoir meta in vgc14
Timid is definitely more common and reliable, as the speed tier of 328 that it hits comes into play very often, while Modest's 299 will find itself getting outpaced by lando-t, excadrill, and certain spreads of zardx among other mons. This forces the Modest set to typically run a little more HP investment if it wants to do its job properly, and even then it can be less effective and efficient than Timid. The extra power is definitely nice, but off the top of my head there are no important KOs that Modest hits which Timid doesn't also hit.

For the most part, Modest is still definitely usable, it's just that it must be used slightly differently to how you would use Timid. And yes, you most definitely want it to have its Mega Stone.

never played vgc14 so can't answer that one

Timid is definitely more common and reliable, as the speed tier of 328 that it hits comes into play very often, while Modest's 299 will find itself getting outpaced by lando-t, excadrill, and certain spreads of zardx among other mons. This forces the Modest set to typically run a little more HP investment if it wants to do its job properly, and even then it can be less effective and efficient than Timid. The extra power is definitely nice, but off the top of my head there are no important KOs that Modest hits which Timid doesn't also hit.

For the most part, Modest is still definitely usable, it's just that it must be used slightly differently to how you would use Timid. And yes, you most definitely want it to have its Mega Stone.

never played vgc14 so can't answer that one
I see, can you tell me how to raise my modest gardevoir exactly? knowing that she hasa high offense?

I see, can you tell me how to raise my modest gardevoir exactly? knowing that she hasa high offense?
Do you mean raise as in EVs? If so, 252 spa is an obvious must, 216 spe lets you outspeed neutral natured kyub, jolly gyarados mamoswine and dragonite, adamant landot, timid heatran and max speed m-scizor. If you don't care about any of that though, you could probably just go with 108 spe investment, letting you outpace jolly bisharp as well as the adamant and modest sets of the threats I just listed, leaving you with 148 HP investment to better soak up more hits before it attacks. Only thing to note is that even though it has hp investment, you shouldn't let it take any physical hits as its phys def is still terrible. It's spdef stat definitely appreciates the hp boost though, so it can take a lot of spa hits fairly well. Hope this helps!

Do you mean raise as in EVs? If so, 252 spa is an obvious must, 216 spe lets you outspeed neutral natured kyub, jolly gyarados mamoswine and dragonite, adamant landot, timid heatran and max speed m-scizor. If you don't care about any of that though, you could probably just go with 108 spe investment, letting you outpace jolly bisharp as well as the adamant and modest sets of the threats I just listed, leaving you with 148 HP investment to better soak up more hits before it attacks. Only thing to note is that even though it has hp investment, you shouldn't let it take any physical hits as its phys def is still terrible. It's spdef stat definitely appreciates the hp boost though, so it can take a lot of spa hits fairly well. Hope this helps!
Cool! can youtell me a good moveset though? and what should i rasie this gardevoir as? a wallbreaker or whatever

Hey, its me again, Found this on pokemondb and its the highest answer, is this actually true to an extent, depending on opinion?
  • The best nature for Gardevoir is either Modest or Timid. Both of them lower Gardevoir's useless Attack stat and boost either Sp. Attack or Speed, respectively. The best option between those two depends on the set you plan on running. Choice Scarf and Mega Gardevoir will prefer to run Modest. A Choice Specs set can can run either — it depends on if there are any base 80s you want to outspeed. Mega Gardevoir can go Timid as well, if you wish to edge out other base 100 Pokémon.

TL;DR either Modest or Timid, with Modest being the most useful.

Most viable Moltres set in RBY OU?
Agility + Fire Spin is its best role. Fire Blast is the preferred STAB for its 30% burn chance and high BP. Hyper Beam usually rounds the set off. Flamethrower and Double-Edge is a weaker but less risky alternative for that last slots, but Moltres generally wants the extra punch of FB and HB.

Moltres
- Agility
- Fire Spin
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Beam

edit: doesn't get flamethrower....

I would also recommend going through the logs + replays threads in the spl and wcop subforums, the best gscers around are on display there. you can't go wrong watching earthworm.

Why is there no gen 1 UU, gen 2 UU, gen 3 UU/NU and gen 4 UU/NU ladders?
I know everyone might not be interested in them, but in my opinion it's not good enough of a reason, some others might be very interested in those and might want to play them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)