Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

First, a Pokemon faints when its HP reaches or goes below 0, so Pokemon with more HP are often better than Pokemon with less of it. Pokemon usually lose HP by taking damage from attacks. This is the first part of the damage formula:
((2*level)/5+2)*power*attack stat)/(50*defense stat)+2
As you can see, stuff like levels, stats, and base powers are taken into account as well as types. I would suggest using something with good stats and high power moves, like Kadabra or Mankey. If your problem is level, then try defeating all the trainers you haven't defeated already and maybe level grinding a bit if that doesn't work.
Thanks! As for the last part, aren't trainers a waste of time?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Thanks! As for the last part, aren't trainers a waste of time?
Trainers give you XP, which lets you level up, which makes your Pokemon stronger. Since your Pikachu is somehow not strong enough to KO Misty's Pokemon, you probably need more XP.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was going to suggest, "have your RBY Versus Books guide out", but that works too I guess.

TrainerNoodle13 Let us know when you're about to enter Mt.Moon, we'll send you a map (place can be tricky for newbies).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How do I avoid getting scammed? I wanted a rare Poké for $500 and I got a Lvl. 5 Magikarp!
Yeah, that's what is known as a "con man". He's in the game to trick you.... and maybe teach to players not to trust shady salesmen.

Luckily, he's the only of his kind in the game. And with some time investment, you can get a Gyarados out of the deal, which is a pretty powerful Pokémon.

I'm needing some help regarding the RBY VC. Does anyone have tips on transfering my RBY (Virtual Console) save file to another 3DS? Getting myself a new 3DS soon (the unique Metroid version) and I obviously want to keep my RBY save file. How would I go about this? I've tried this once already in the past by using 'System Transfer' but unfortunately it failed to transfer my RBY save file... which I'm still really sad about. Help!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm needing some help regarding the RBY VC. Does anyone have tips on transfering my RBY (Virtual Console) save file to another 3DS? Getting myself a new 3DS soon (the unique Metroid version) and I obviously want to keep my RBY save file. How would I go about this? I've tried this once already in the past by using 'System Transfer' but unfortunately it failed to transfer my RBY save file... which I'm still really sad about. Help!
Any more details on how it failed to transfer the save? Was the game icon not even there, or did you try to start up the game and it just said new game? Curious, since my brother was able to transfer his Pokemon Blue savefile just fine.

EDIT: As Sondero mentioned to me on Discord, did you transfer over the SD card? Moving to another SD card is actually a different process. When you transfer to a new 3DS, you're supposed to use the same SD card. I think there's some instructions online if you're say, going from old 3DS to new 3DS (since new 3DS uses micro SD, so if you aren't using a micro SD card in your old 3DS, you can't use the same SD card)

Last edited:
Any more details on how it failed to transfer the save? Was the game icon not even there, or did you try to start up the game and it just said new game? Curious, since my brother was able to transfer his Pokemon Blue savefile just fine.

EDIT: As Sondero mentioned to me on Discord, did you transfer over the SD card? Moving to another SD card is actually a different process. When you transfer to a new 3DS, you're supposed to use the same SD card. I think there's some instructions online if you're say, going from old 3DS to new 3DS (since new 3DS uses micro SD, so if you aren't using a micro SD card in your old 3DS, you can't use the same SD card)
The game icon was there. But when I started up the game it just said 'new game'.

The time it failed I transfered from a 3DS to a 2DS, so both used just a regular SD card. But how am I going to place the SD card from system A in system B, when I want to transfer data from system A to system B?

And yes, the new 3DS I'm buying soon is a New 3DS indeed. My 2DS now has just a regular SD card, not a micro SD.

But to come back on the way transfering works: Let's say I have a blue and a red 3DS. Both old. All my data is on the blue 3DS. Do I have to take out the SD card of the blue 3DS, put it into my new red 3DS, and then transfer? Or do I have to leave the SD card in my blue 3DS (which sounds more logical to me), then transfer, and then place the SD card over to my new red 3DS? Can you clarify?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The game icon was there. But when I started up the game it just said 'new game'.

The time it failed I transfered from a 3DS to a 2DS, so both used just a regular SD card. But how am I going to place the SD card from system A in system B, when I want to transfer data from system A to system B?

And yes, the new 3DS I'm buying soon is a New 3DS indeed. My 2DS now has just a regular SD card, not a micro SD.

But to come back on the way transfering works: Let's say I have a blue and a red 3DS. Both old. All my data is on the blue 3DS. Do I have to take out the SD card of the blue 3DS, put it into my new red 3DS, and then transfer? Or do I have to leave the SD card in my blue 3DS (which sounds more logical to me), then transfer, and then place the SD card over to my new red 3DS? Can you clarify?
First you do the transfer, then after the transfer process is over, turn off the 3DS you transfered to, and insert the old SD card. Then turn it back on.

Look this up just to make sure, but if I remember correctly, for an Old to New 3DS transfer, you do the transfer, then you go into the system menu. I think under data management, there's an option to manage your New 3DS's SD card over wifi, so you set a password on your 3DS, then access the files on your computer, and just copy + paste the old SD card stuff onto the new 3DS. Double check to make sure though, I haven't done this in like 2 years!

First you do the transfer, then after the transfer process is over, turn off the 3DS you transfered to, and insert the old SD card. Then turn it back on.

Look this up just to make sure, but if I remember correctly, for an Old to New 3DS transfer, you do the transfer, then you go into the system menu. I think under data management, there's an option to manage your New 3DS's SD card over wifi, so you set a password on your 3DS, then access the files on your computer, and just copy + paste the old SD card stuff onto the new 3DS. Double check to make sure though, I haven't done this in like 2 years!
Alright, thanks. I'll definitely save this post. Hopefully it'll work correctly this time :x

Does Smogon have a Discord? I have some ingame stuff I'd like to discuss, but the forums might not be the best locale for it

What is the most potent team one can make on a single Gen 4 cartridge, using no trades, outside events or cheating?

What is the most potent team one can make on a single Gen 4 cartridge, using no trades, outside events or cheating?
First, which format is the team for? Second, I think this is kind of like asking "what is the best team?", which would most certainly require a completely new forum and thousands of hours testing teams to answer. Even then, there will most likely not be a definite answer.

I can't speak for an exact team, but if you're allowing glitches and allowing legendaries, Diamond/Pearl seems like the best choice. You can get Dialga/Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai and Arceus, which seems like a good starting point.

First, which format is the team for? Second, I think this is kind of like asking "what is the best team?", which would most certainly require a completely new forum and thousands of hours testing teams to answer. Even then, there will most likely not be a definite answer.
Ubers, or even Anything Goes, if there is such a thing in Gen 4.
I can't speak for an exact team, but if you're allowing glitches and allowing legendaries, Diamond/Pearl seems like the best choice. You can get Dialga/Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai and Arceus, which seems like a good starting point.
Legendaries are allowed, but glitches are not.

Ubers, or even Anything Goes, if there is such a thing in Gen 4.
Purely from looking at these viability rankings, it seems that your best bet is Platinum. In Platinum, you can get Dialga, Palkia (in DP you can only get one), Giratina, Blissey, Garchomp, and Heatran. Of course, this exact team will pretty likely have synergy problems because I'm not experienced enough to notice and fix them.

Last edited:
I'm planning to move to Australia before US/UM are released, so I'm planning to buy it there. Can I still play them on my US-bought 3DS, or do I need to get a new one after I move?

If your 3ds is a US version, you are going to need a US version game to run on it.

I don't actually recall which Region lock Australia has, it is very possible it is compatible with US games, but I totally recommend asking around.

In fact I believe there's a couple Aussies on the OI discord who can help you...

If your 3ds is a US version, you are going to need a US version game to run on it.

I don't actually recall which Region lock Australia has, it is very possible it is compatible with US games, but I totally recommend asking around.

In fact I believe there's a couple Aussies on the OI discord who can help you...
I'm 99% sure Australia is PAL.

I was just EV training on my Emerald cartridge. I was using a Shelgon (level 48) and I was continuously fighting Shuppet (around level 25) for the Attack IVs. It occured to me that some of those Shuppet outsped me. No priority moves were used. How is this possible? Am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)