CAP 3D Modeling Project

I still think the current placement is a bit too low. Anatomy-wise I feel it should at least be higher than the canine thumb, and I feel the main design supports this notion. Rn, it's as if you had the smoke coming out from just above the wrist joint.

And I'm fairly certain it's smoke, not fire owo. That's why in the main design it follows the paws' movement or billows so much. Fire wouldn't behave like that.

It's interesting that you decided to incorporate design elements from the runner-ups and BatCap. I can't really fault you for that :D.

Wow, sorry for vanishing everyone, I had a lot of other things to work on and kinda forgot about this. Won't happen again!

In any case, here's all the textures done (male, female, male shiny, female shiny:

I had to get creative with the eye! Painting the eye directly onto the main texture sheet made it vanish from certain angles (because the hole in the mask sinks in slightly) so I put it on an alpha plane that's suspended within the socket!

I still think the current placement is a bit too low. Anatomy-wise I feel it should at least be higher than the canine thumb, and I feel the main design supports this notion. Rn, it's as if you had the smoke coming out from just above the wrist joint.
Well, actually, right now it's below the wrist joint (that part of the foreleg where it tilts forward slightly is intended to be the wrist.) But really, I keep feeling like I have it too high, since the main art design has it coming directly off the paws, but I can't do that without rishing it clipping through the floor. >< Moving it up just looks weird:
But if you like, I can remove the mist geo when I give you the OBJ for rigging and then play around with different rendering options with QxC4eva later. Speaking of! You said you had Max, right? Is that your software of choice, or just something you have access to? Cause... I kinda told QxC4eva I'd try my hand at animating Kitsunoh. So if I could have the rig in a Max file that'd be super convenient.

And I'm fairly certain it's smoke, not fire owo. That's why in the main design it follows the paws' movement or billows so much. Fire wouldn't behave like that.
Ahh, I know, I don't mean literal fire, I just meant I like how that animator made the tail look fiery. ^^; But I'm not taking that animation into account--I just like Arkeis's sprite too much for that!

Also, Quanyails is it alright if I download DJTHED's Kerfluffle mesh and play around with it? I'd like to do texturing and rigging with it. :D

I stole Kit from Clawed Nyasu, so it's only fair he gets Kerf :P. And I do have access and experience with Max (even though lately I've been favouring Blender more) so I could totes get you a Max file alongside the obj. The obj's still needed so everyone else can freely poke at it.

QxC wanted me to rig the effects for convenience, so feel free to just toss it at me like that tbh. If it ends up being fiddled around after or completely changed that's no issue.

Texture's looking fantastic, still not sure about the geos (still feel like something like what we did with Paj-Smol's head fire would be better) but overall there's nothing I can complain about. Solid work.

Alright, here's a zip file containing the OBJ + all the bitmaps involved in the texturing (with the max file thrown in for good measure.) All yours, Zephias!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19fb3iCa9nFqRbQxF1zJEHwDLqpkO9pIB

Also, I've been doing some work on DJTHED's Kerfluffle:

Changelog:
  • Thickened the body and broadened the shoulders/head
  • Gave the body and hand pillows a more squarish shape
  • Re-topologized the shoulders and pelvis for ease of rigging
  • Altered the leg hole fabric to closer match the backsprite
  • Thickened the fingers for potential articulation
  • Modeled female's tunic
Here's a download link for QC! Quanyails QxC4eva

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FDX42UF_hayoQ4g5yAUlflroBq50Sbx1

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
dunno if anyone cares but i found out a trick to do colored outlines using freestyle:

extra thicc lines to make it obvious

thin lines

NOTE: this was with cycles turned on and a bunch of fancy thing to achieve the toon shading, the outline thing should work just fine in blender render though.

Last edited:
Okay, so past 10 days have been hell, but I should be able to start on the rig this week so expect updoots!

Not sure about 'fluffle's fingers needing articulation, but besides that the model's looking lovely. And just in case they do end up having movement, the thicker fingers should really help!

Hello Peoplz! I am a newcomer to this forum, and i have very little experience with modeling, because that's not why i am here. I kinda feel that cawmodore's back sprite when the wings go up, they aren't smooth and go like tik- top. but very little tho.

and also, can you get kitsunoh's model animated and rendered? I can't wait to see the product, as well as using it in PS i also understand it takes time

Modedit: Merged double-post.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Kerf has been rigged! After a lot of headaches that were mostly my own fault. But hey! Learning.

I couldn't quite figure out how to export the rig in an OBJ without it just collapsing (I use Max's CAT rig system) but it seems to work in an FBX (aside from the IK being gone... still need to figure out what's up with that. But all the vert weights look correct at least.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1muKkMcRvT2cPf6Gt4LMS8wZmVjsVhn2-

Yeah, it's magistelle then.

Kyubics hasn't been online since January of this year, so as far as I'm concerned Colo's unclaimed but I think Pip was mentioning he might have interest in doing that over on Discord, so talk with him if you can.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
[7:41 PM] Tomomon: Wow Nyasu you're killin it! Great work on Kerf :D
[7:42 PM] Tomomon: I just think the textured outlines can be a bit darker (esp the eyes) so it's more consistent with the outline color on the hand patterns
[7:43 PM] Tomomon: Other than that feel free to start the rigging
[2:21 AM] Chibi Pika: ah, good point! they need to be visible even in the tiny renders
[2:21 AM] Chibi Pika: and thanks! I'll get started on the rigging tomorrow
----
[6:52 AM] Tomomon: For Kerf's rig I think the sleeve joint is too close to the center
[6:53 AM] Tomomon: When I rotate it it's kinda smudging the sleeve across
[6:54 AM] Tomomon: Hip weights can be a bit smoother too
[6:55 AM] Tomomon: Everyone else looks great :D
[6:55 AM] Chibi Pika: for the shoulder sleeve right? should I move it further in?
[6:56 AM] Tomomon: Further out
[6:56 AM] Chibi Pika: ah, ok
[6:56 AM] Tomomon: So it's nearer to the Arm1
[6:56 AM] Chibi Pika: gotcha
[6:58 AM] Tomomon: :thumbsup:
[6:58 AM] Tomomon: I tried doing that just now and it deforms better I think
[6:58 AM] Tomomon: Although the weights there can also be smoothed out a bit :P
[6:59 AM] Chibi Pika: alrighty, I'll take a look at getting those areas smoothed out

Sooo the art polls are done and Pip's Baoboi takes the win. If you're interested helping us out with the model please let us know! Progress and updates will be in this spreadsheet. Even if the thing you want is already taken let us know anyway. We can work something out :)

internet awesome notes thanks for sharing, it should come in handy for the Blender users!

I'm sure you're all wondering how the 3D model is coming for Jumbao. Well here you go!

Polys: 6920
Tris: 13,850

Thanks to QxC4eva for feedback and crits! You guys should be seeing it textured soon!

Hey, Nyasu, you've been doing an excellent job with the 3D models in the past month or few. I'm looking forward to seeing it fully colored, whether you base them on the artwork or the sprite.

I'm sure you're all wondering how the 3D model is coming for Jumbao. Well here you go!

Thanks to QxC4eva for feedback and crits! You guys should be seeing it textured soon!
Nyasu, I'm absolutely floored that you were able to get such a high quality model done in such a relatively short time, keep up the fantastic work!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Awesome work guys!!!

I also want to say that I'm up for doing some textures for the project. So if anyone needs any done, lemme know! I'll check in on the spreadsheet too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)