Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

So Salamence has a 1% chance of being called of a SOS slot that has a 1% chance of being picked, all from a Pokemon that has a 1% chance of appearing in the wild.

You have a one in a million chance of getting an SOS Salamence (as your first call. It's 1/10000 if we disregard that).
the percentages shown in sos slot are actually meaningless and if they're referenced in game at all it's probably for how they handled the slot mechanic to separate between different pokemon. So it's only a 1% chance, not a 1% chance to make a further 1% call.
Otherwise you'd never see Bagon SOS call anyone, since you'll note the other Bagons are only listed with the 1% encounter as well.

Iirc the atrociosly low chance of actually getting SOSd salamences was one of the reasons for which it was ranked that low in the VR for ingame USUM runs.

On top of the fact that you don't have the intimidate orbs yet at that point, and actually need to backtrack once acquired.
Even in the original SM you'd be hard pressed to do this. You still dont have the adreniline orbs so you can't kick start Bagon's calls. You don't have false swipe to guarantee easily getting it into the red range. Your resources for lasting through this are pretty limited in general and actually fighting a Salamence can be a pain due to its base stats. Also have to worry about tracking when Bagon gets low on PP. And if you fail to catch the thing you have to search out another 1% bagon.

Is there a reason why this guide recommends repeat balls instead of quick balls? They cost the exact same, and quick balls have higher catch chances in most situations.

What do you want to use this Lugia for?
Ingame purposes, mostly vs Red and the later Kanto trainers. (I generally catch legendaries as soon as they become available). It seems like it's a bit less useful than in Silver because it can't get Aeroblast.

What's a good moveset on Lugia in Crystal?
I would think the best moves are psychic, recover, fly, and earthquake/surf/waterfall (depending which HMs its teammates already know). Earthquake is probably the best non-HM move because it covers electric, rock, and steel, all of which resist fly and one of which resists psychic.

Is Remoraid in crystal? Serebii says yes and no in different places, pokemondb says yes and bulbapedia says no.
Pokemon DB is really bad. Pretty much the only useful information on there are the threads where we report the errors. So if it says yes, then I would think no. This Bulbapedia page and the GSC in-game tiers thread both also say no.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is Remoraid in crystal? Serebii says yes and no in different places, pokemondb says yes and bulbapedia says no.
Yeah, I'd go with Bulbapedia on this.

Looks like they pulled a "version exclusion" on Remoraid, something they do with a few Pokemon whenever a third version is released. Since the third version usually has Pokemon which were considered version exclusive, as well as not making the previous paired games completely worthless, some Pokemon which were available in both the original paired games would be made unavailable in the third version:

Yellow doesn't have the Weedle family, Koffing family, or Jynx.
Crystal doesn't have the Mareep family, Girafarig, or Remoraid family.
Emerald doesn't have the Surskit family, Meditite family, or Roselia.
Platinum doesn't have the Trapinch family or Clamperl family.

I've tried googling but cant seem to find a definite answer so I'll ask here. I have 2 New Nintendo 3ds systems (the ones with colored buttons). I want to do a system transfer from one to the other but im worried about my GSC saves. Would I need to swap SD cards after system transferring for my saves to carry over?

Does anyone know where to go to watch the announcement from The Pokemon Company that’s happening in like 15 mins?

Is there a section on smogon for theorymoning or suggesting small changes to certain pokemon you'd like to see to rebalance the game or shine a light on pokemon which otherwise are outclassed?

For example I really wish they'd made Meganium's hidden ability Aroma Veil, as that would give it some niche appeal in Doubles.

I have other ideas but I'd like to see if there's a place for discussion on that sort of thing, I'm sure other users have ideas for small changes which could be made too.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there a section on smogon for theorymoning or suggesting small changes to certain pokemon you'd like to see to rebalance the game or shine a light on pokemon which otherwise are outclassed?

For example I really wish they'd made Meganium's hidden ability Aroma Veil, as that would give it some niche appeal in Doubles.

I have other ideas but I'd like to see if there's a place for discussion on that sort of thing, I'm sure other users have ideas for small changes which could be made too.
No, that would fall under the wishlisting rule. It's great fun to suggest, sure, but reading other people's suggestions is approximately as fun as discussing other people's dreams. It does not make for good discussion, so we don't allow it in OI. It is sometimes talked about on the OI Discord channel, however.

No, that would fall under the wishlisting rule. It's great fun to suggest, sure, but reading other people's suggestions is approximately as fun as discussing other people's dreams. It does not make for good discussion, so we don't allow it in OI. It is sometimes talked about on the OI Discord channel, however.
Thanks for replying, that makes sense to me.

Hi!

I've been playing pokemon fire red and emerald for a long time and have been dabbling with iv manipulation for a long time as well. Since these games aren't played a lot anymore I couldn't find any answers online.

If you're manipulating iv's when you're breeding pokemon and you find a suitable frame where the egg would have perfect ivs, does that egg have it's ability and nature locked for that frame?

I'm breeding a torkoal (male, TM(N)T) and a quagsire (female, Woohped) for a wooper with curse. I have noted the ivs of both pokemon so I can trace them when searching for a suitable frame. Both parents have perfect ivs they can pass on and I've found a frame (Frame 2055, 0:34.25, 29, B, B, B, 26, 30 with B being parent B, quagsire) that would be suitable for a freshborn wooper. I'm soft resetting for that frame right now and I wonder if the nature and ability of the pokemon can vary when I get it on that frame.

Hi!

I've been playing pokemon fire red and emerald for a long time and have been dabbling with iv manipulation for a long time as well. Since these games aren't played a lot anymore I couldn't find any answers online.

If you're manipulating iv's when you're breeding pokemon and you find a suitable frame where the egg would have perfect ivs, does that egg have it's ability and nature locked for that frame?

I'm breeding a torkoal (male, TM(N)T) and a quagsire (female, Woohped) for a wooper with curse. I have noted the ivs of both pokemon so I can trace them when searching for a suitable frame. Both parents have perfect ivs they can pass on and I've found a frame (Frame 2055, 0:34.25, 29, B, B, B, 26, 30 with B being parent B, quagsire) that would be suitable for a freshborn wooper. I'm soft resetting for that frame right now and I wonder if the nature and ability of the pokemon can vary when I get it on that frame.
I don't know about Fire Red, but I did breed a few pokes in Emerald and if I recall correctly nature and ability are generated when the egg is created (when the old man makes two steps forward in Emerald), while IVs are generated when you accept the egg.
The best way to get the egg you want is to save before accepting an egg, and then hatching it: if it has the nature and ability you want (or gender if that's relevant) soft reset and try to get the IVs you want; if it doesn't generate another egg.

I don't know about Fire Red, but I did breed a few pokes in Emerald and if I recall correctly nature and ability are generated when the egg is created (when the old man makes two steps forward in Emerald), while IVs are generated when you accept the egg.
The best way to get the egg you want is to save before accepting an egg, and then hatching it: if it has the nature and ability you want (or gender if that's relevant) soft reset and try to get the IVs you want; if it doesn't generate another egg.
Thanks for your reply, that helps a lot.

Hey!

I have just completed Pokemon HeartGold and have thought of trying the BT out as I cannot play online. Because of this issue, I am trying to figure out a solid team to create a successful win streak (As I cannot trade it would be good to use in-game Pokemon) I would rather not use legendaries as they do make battling a lot easier and I am always up for a challenge. What Pokemon should be recommended for using for offline battling?

As well as this, would it be worth EV training even though they wouldn't receive all of their EV's until they reach level 100?

Hey!

I have just completed Pokemon HeartGold and have thought of trying the BT out as I cannot play online. Because of this issue, I am trying to figure out a solid team to create a successful win streak (As I cannot trade it would be good to use in-game Pokemon) I would rather not use legendaries as they do make battling a lot easier and I am always up for a challenge. What Pokemon should be recommended for using for offline battling?

As well as this, would it be worth EV training even though they wouldn't receive all of their EV's until they reach level 100?
EV training is definitely worth doing, because EVs will raise your Pokemons' stats no matter what level they are. As for the Pokemon, I admit that I don't have much experience with Generation 4 Battle Tower, so I guessed that these Pokemon are good based on DPP OU viability rankings, their Smogon analyses, and the fact that they can cover a lot of stuff.

Starmie @ leftovers
Ability: natural cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- surf
- ice beam
- thunderbolt
- recover

Dragonite @ life orb
Ability: inner focus
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash nature
- draco meteor
- fly (good in Battle Tower because opponents rarely switch)
- flamethrower
- roost

Tyranitar @ lum berry
Ability: sand stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- dragon dance
- stone edge
- crunch
- earthquake

Again, this team is probably not that good, so please ignore it if someone else posts a better team.

Last edited:
EV training is definitely worth doing, because EVs will raise your Pokemons' stats no matter what level they are. As for the Pokemon, I admit that I don't have much experience with Generation 4 Battle Tower, so I guessed that these Pokemon are good based on DPP OU viability rankings, their Smogon analyses, and the fact that they can cover a lot of stuff.

Starmie @ leftovers
Timid nature
- hydro pump
- ice beam
- thunderbolt
- recover

Dragonite @ life orb
Rash nature
- draco meteor
- fire blast
- roost

Tyranitar @ lum berry
Jolly nature
- dragon dance
- stone edge
- crunch
- earthquake

Again, this team is probably not that good, so please ignore it if someone else posts a better team.
Oh wow much appreciated for the reply!
I am fairly new to EV training (started roughly three weeks ago on PPearl). I have also noticed there are IV's as well which play a huge role with battling. The team you have suggested sounds pretty well built and I am sure to give it a go! Before I begin, here is the team I am using as of now to gain enough BP to acquire the belts/braces for EV training. [Hahaha Please Dont Judge]

None of which have been EV Trained.
Dragonite @ Dragon Fang - (Will change to Lum Berry)
Ability: Inner Focus
EV's: N/A
Nature: Adamant
Likes to run.
- Outrage
- Fly [Changing]
- D/Dance
- Safeguard [Possibly Changing]
Now this beast has been doing pretty well considering he hasn't been properly trained. Start of each battle with a safeguard (depending on which pokemon is sent out), D/Dance, than Fly (if I am sure this will OHKO), than finish the last two off with Outrage.

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
EV: N/A
Nature: Mild
Alert to sounds.
- Eruption
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day
- Earthquake [Honestly don't know why I taught him that]
Typhlosion is pretty much there just to fight off them petty grass/ice types. Will be changing.

Espeon @ Odd Incense
Ability: Synchronize
EV: N/A
Nature: Naive
Very finicky.
- Psychic
- Swift
- Shadow Ball
- Flash
Not to sure with his move-pool, never really have been good on deciding what moves to put on what pokemon haha. To be honest, I have only ever used Psychic with this death-machine.

As I previously said these were only used specifically for the story-line, hence I asked for help. I for sure will give your team a go, and will give some feedback on how far, and well I do!

Starmie @ leftovers
Timid nature
- hydro pump
- ice beam
- thunderbolt
- recover

Dragonite @ life orb
Rash nature
- draco meteor
- fire blast
- roost

Tyranitar @ lum berry
Jolly nature
- dragon dance
- stone edge
- crunch
- earthquake

yeah uh

dont

use moves that inaccurate in the battle frontier

ever

KingFlea check this out there's many a good suggestion here, I know you're looking for ingame pokes only but hgss has a lot of options. lot of the high ranking stuff runs legends because that's how to fuck up the AI but there's stuff like gengar/garchomp/metagross that could work, or if you want to use the trickscarf strat that all those winning teams use there's Poor Man's Version with like, switcheroo lopunny or alakazam or rotom or, point is you've got some options

yeah uh

dont

use moves that inaccurate in the battle frontier

ever

KingFlea check this out there's many a good suggestion here, I know you're looking for ingame pokes only but hgss has a lot of options. lot of the high ranking stuff runs legends because that's how to fuck up the AI but there's stuff like gengar/garchomp/metagross that could work, or if you want to use the trickscarf strat that all those winning teams use there's Poor Man's Version with like, switcheroo lopunny or alakazam or rotom or, point is you've got some options
Okay, I had a browse and noticed a lot of Pokemon are unaccessible due to internet. Aside that, I am now very curious in what Pokemon will do great and work best as a team. I also just found out Starly is accessible in HG and would love to build a team based around Staraptor.

Staraptor @ Muscle Band
Ability - Intimidate/Reckless
EV - 4HP / 252Atk / 252Spd
Nature - Adamant/Jolly
. Close Combat
. Brave Bird
. U-turn
. ?
I feel like this will be a great addition to the team as CCombat counters ice/rock/steel which seems to be a problem. As well as this BBird fucking annihilates grass/fighting despite its health reduction. U-turn is purely for sticky situations where Raptor can't take out its opponent. For the last move I cannot figure out yet however I will try fit one in a bit later. As Staraptor's main weakness is ice/electric, I figured a good companion will be Mamoswine.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability - Oblivious
EV - 4 Def / 252Atk / 252Spd
Nature - Adamant
. Earthquake
. Ice Shard
. Endeavour
. Stealth Rock
Covers Staraptor's weaknesses. Never used this Pokemon in my life so I am pretty keen to give it a go. Earthquake to say goodbye to electric/rock/ground/fire, and Ice Shard to send flying/grass/dragon/ground to the pits of hell. Stealth Rock to start with, and Endeavour to basically fuck whatever sends it to 1HP. (Credit to - https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/mamoswine/)

For the last Pokemon I will fix later on tonight, I am thinking Starmie/Gyrados or even Dragonite/Tyranitar. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Eh, Staraptor doesn't have quite the coverage you're looking for as a lead, even if Brave Bird is awesome. It's just resisted by too many things and Close Combat may not pack the punch you need to OHKO Steels/Rocks and then you're down 3-2 which is never a good idea.

There is no reason to use Stealth Rock on Mamoswine, you're fighting 3v3 and the AI basically never switches so it's just a waste of a moveslot. Mamoswine is also pretty slow and weak to a lot of common types (all right, say Close Combat fails to OHKO a Rock-type that then takes out Staraptor - if Ice Shard can't finish it off then you're down TWO pokemon due to the shared weakness to Rock, against their lead even!) so I don't know if that's really the best option. Speed is pretty important in the Battle Tower if you want to get a decent go of it, and Mamoswine ... doesn't really have it.

If you still want to go with all that, I'd recommend not having Staraptor first but rather one of your backups, specifically probably Starmie. Starmie's a pretty tried and true lead, give it Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic/Surf and an Expert Belt and it'll put in a lot of work for you. I know Jumpman used to use Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp in the D/P Battle Tower to great effect, I don't know how useful that would be in HGSS due to updated movesets but it might be a starting point. (Garchomp is available in HGSS iirc, you just have to go through great trouble to get it lmao.)

Here's the D/P thread if you get any ideas from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)