Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Regarding your post, there was also some more news regarding megas in LGPE recently. Gamefreak apparently (news came from a fairly reliable source) re-filed trademarks for a number of pokemon, the same thing they did in Gen VI when introducing megas. To me and others, this strongly suggests new megas.

List of pokemon with trademarks re-filed: Golem, Machamp, Raichu, Jynx, Starmie, the Hitmons, Arbok, Weezing, Persian, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, and Dragonite

Ground: Golem. This is the only ground type pokemon in the list, but to me it seems a little unlikely because of it's existing Alolan Forme.

Electric: Jolteon and Raichu. Raichu is likely to get one IMO because of Gamefreak's Pikachu love, and I personally think it's even more plausible because of the revealing of the scrapped Raichu design (Gorochu.) This said, if Raichu, or anything on the list gets one, all the others likely will as well.

Ice: Jynx.

Fairy: No pokemon on the list have the Fairy typing.

If this information turns out to be true, then 3/5 of those types will have megas in LGPE. The other ones are all just fan favourites with the exception of Jynx. (I don't really know if people like Jynx, Persian, Koffing, and Weezing.)
Interesting, though one problem with your suggestions is that you put down the idea of Golem getting a Mega because it has Alolan Forms yet then say Raichu is likely even though it too has an Alolan Form.

Anyway, just want to note possible other reasons for re-filing:

Raichu & Eeveelutions: Easy, they're the evolution of the Starters. They may be planning on doing something special with them. In addition Raichu is Lt. Surge's ace.
Arbok & Weezing: Jessie & James' aces.
Persian: Giovanni had Persian made into his ace in Yellow because of the anime. Though... Mega Persian or Giovanni which makes at least the Kantonian Persian into Normal/Ground or pure Ground?
Golem: Brock's ace.
Starmie: Misty's ace.
Dragonite: Because it's Dragonite.

Not sure for the other's though. Machamp in my opinion is prime for a Mega. Not so sure about the Hitmons though, to me their kind of the oddest choice on their. Not that I can't see what their Megas could be, but would that be too many new Fighting-type Mega?

As for the missing Fairy-type, I see two possible choices:
Mega Jynx could become Ice/Fairy, just give her Moonblast or Dazzling Gleam and she'd be good.
Mega Dragonite could be Dragon/Fairy, its Flying-type never really did anything for it and it wouldn't be stepping on Mega Altaria as it's more balanced/defense focused.

Also I'd be careful what you say about Jynx, there's a member on these forums who is a BIG fan of Jynx and will adamantly defend it...

We'd better not get more Megas.

Not because I don't want them, but because it would just be more Gen I pandering while Gen V continues to suffer without a Mega to its name.
Maybe if we get them to get out all of their Gen I pandering in these games they may get tired and finally move on? This could re-invigorate their interest in Mega Evolutions overall and maybe in Gen VIII, since they did a lot of Gen I in LGPE, they'll focus on other gens in those games (not to mention we have remakes, notable Sinnoh and Unova).

Mega Audino is not a thing?
Who uses Mega Audino? When people think Unova they probably think of (not counting Starters and Legendaries) Zebstrika, Excadrill, Scolipede, Lilligant, Krookodile, Darmanitan, Cofagrigus, Archeops, Garbodor, Zoroark, Cinccino, Vanilluxe, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Klinklang, Chandelure, Haxorus, Cryogonal, Golurk, Braviary, and Hydreigon. Audino isn't really on the top of the radar unless you're grinding for experience.

Actually, I suppose it would be fair to wonder that, just like I asked with Mega Evos, would they make new exclusive Z-Crystals? Plenty of Gen I Pokemon to do something unique with. Normal Raichu (if they don't give it a Mega at least toss it its own Z-Move), Meowth, Machamp, Farfetch'd, Electrode, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Tauros, Ditto, Winged Mirages, etc..
More signature Z-Moves would be interesting, so I tried to come up with what each move would be based on:
Meowth: Pay day (the Z-Move would give you hella bank)
Machamp: Dynamic Punch or Cross Chop (Dynamic Punch is Machamp's de facto signature move, but without abilities, it won't be that good)
Farfetch'd: Brave Bird
Electrode: Electro Ball or Discharge or Explosion (I hope it's a 300 power Electric special Explosion)
Hitmonlee: High Jump Kick
Hitmonchan: Sky Uppercut (If you're not going to make Sky Uppercut do it, at least make the special Z-Move SE against Flying types)
Mr. Mime: Barrier (It would be Protect but for both sides, sort of like Mat Block but without the downsides)
Jynx: Blizzard
Tauros: Thrash
Ditto: Transform (Not sure what would be done differently here)
Legendary Birds: Blizzard, Discharge, and Heat Wave (all would be powerful spread moves like Kommo-O's Z Move)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
More signature Z-Moves would be interesting, so I tried to come up with what each move would be based on:
Meowth: Pay day (the Z-Move would give you hella bank)
Machamp: Dynamic Punch or Cross Chop (Dynamic Punch is Machamp's de facto signature move, but without abilities, it won't be that good)
Farfetch'd: Brave Bird
Electrode: Electro Ball or Discharge or Explosion (I hope it's a 300 power Electric special Explosion)
Hitmonlee: High Jump Kick
Hitmonchan: Sky Uppercut (If you're not going to make Sky Uppercut do it, at least make the special Z-Move SE against Flying types)
Mr. Mime: Barrier (It would be Protect but for both sides, sort of like Mat Block but without the downsides)
Jynx: Blizzard
Tauros: Thrash
Ditto: Transform (Not sure what would be done differently here)
Legendary Birds: Blizzard, Discharge, and Heat Wave (all would be powerful spread moves like Kommo-O's Z Move)
Eh, going into detail I feel it leaning too much into wishlisting. GF will GF, you can't quite predict what they'd do. While certainly what you suggested does seem the most likely, what the Z-Move itself will be is the big question. I know I have ideas, but I don't work for GF.

Interesting, though one problem with your suggestions is that you put down the idea of Golem getting a Mega because it has Alolan Forms yet then say Raichu is likely even though it too has an Alolan Form.

Raichu & Eeveelutions: Easy, they're the evolution of the Starters. They may be planning on doing something special with them. In addition Raichu is Lt. Surge's ace.
Persian: Giovanni had Persian made into his ace in Yellow because of the anime. Though... Mega Persian or Giovanni which makes at least the Kantonian Persian into Normal/Ground or pure Ground?

Not sure for the other's though. Machamp in my opinion is prime for a Mega. Not so sure about the Hitmons though, to me their kind of the oddest choice on their. Not that I can't see what their Megas could be, but would that be too many new Fighting-type Mega?

Mega Jynx could become Ice/Fairy, just give her Moonblast or Dazzling Gleam and she'd be good.
Mega Dragonite could be Dragon/Fairy, its Flying-type never really did anything for it and it wouldn't be stepping on Mega Altaria as it's more balanced/defense focused.

Also I'd be careful what you say about Jynx, there's a member on these forums who is a BIG fan of Jynx and will adamantly defend it...

Maybe if we get them to get out all of their Gen I pandering in these games they may get tired and finally move on? This could re-invigorate their interest in Mega Evolutions overall and maybe in Gen VIII, since they did a lot of Gen I in LGPE, they'll focus on other gens in those games (not to mention we have remakes, notable Sinnoh and Unova).

Who uses Mega Audino? When people think Unova they probably think of (not counting Starters and Legendaries) Zebstrika, Excadrill, Scolipede, Lilligant, Krookodile, Darmanitan, Cofagrigus, Archeops, Garbodor, Zoroark, Cinccino, Vanilluxe, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Klinklang, Chandelure, Haxorus, Cryogonal, Golurk, Braviary, and Hydreigon. Audino isn't really on the top of the radar unless you're grinding for experience.
I hope they don’t give Dragonite a mega. It’s another case of a Pokémon that doesn’t need and cause a powerful string of controversy. If they do, it’ll be proof GF doesn’t care about the powercreep. If there’s any pseudo legend who deserves a mega, it’s Goodra. Goodra has been at the bottom of the pseudo ranking. Also, Kalos only has one mega as well.

Wasn’t Onix Brock’s signature Pokemon?

Most of the choices make sense, at least for fandom, except for Raichu, Machamp, and Persian, since they have Alola forms.

Jynx is more intriguing, since Jynx is the most arguably controversial Pokémon ever, and knowing GF, they probably want to avoid that kind of attention.

Why do GF trademark their Pokémon before introducing Megas?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If there is no Held Items, only way I can see around this is that during battle you go into Items and use the Mega Stone on the Pokemon like you would a Potion/Ether/X Battle item. Though if they do that it's less likely they'll have Z-Moves unless you do the same thing and it'll ask which move you want to turn into the Z-Move and then execute the Z-Move.
Something interesting now that you mention it: look at the scans that showcase the Kanto starter Mega Evolutions. Notice that weird battle background?

It should be familiar, because in some other trailers for Let's Go, its the battle arena for link battles and online battles!

Unless we're getting a wonder launcher type deal, this is really making me think either Mega Evolution is either a new, intrinstic part of the Pokemon when you get the item (which would be weird)... or we have held items back!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wasn’t Onix Brock’s signature Pokemon?

Jynx is more intriguing, since Jynx is the most arguably controversial Pokémon ever, and knowing GF, they probably want to avoid that kind of attention.

Why do GF trademark their Pokémon before introducing Megas?
Initially it is when you battle him for the Badge, but either in rematches or in other games where you can battle him they either change his ace to Golem/Rhydon (or Rhyperior) or give Onix an Eviolite. They don't want to evolve Onix since it loses its Rock-typing and Steelix is seen as Jasmine's ace. But if they give Golem a Mega it'll very likely stay Rock-type so would be a good Mega for Brock to have (likewise a Mega Starmie for Misty).

That controversy was years ago during Pokemon's early years, also Jynx is purple now so no problem using it.

They don't, all GF did was re-file a batch of Pokemon they have plans for. Just cause these Pokemon got re-filed doesn't mean they're getting Megas, also it doesn't mean Pokemon who weren't re-filed won't get Mega.

Something interesting now that you mention it: look at the scans that showcase the Kanto starter Mega Evolutions. Notice that weird battle background?

It should be familiar, because in some other trailers for Let's Go, its the battle arena for link battles and online battles!

Unless we're getting a wonder launcher type deal, this is really making me think either Mega Evolution is either a new, intrinstic part of the Pokemon when you get the item (which would be weird)... or we have held items back!
Ah, you're right, didn't think about that.

And it's not that we're getting hold items back, it means they're not taking hold items away. ;) At the moment we still have hold items until the game comes out. If the game doesn't have hold items, then you can (sorta) say we lost them (at least for this parallel main game series as I'm sure Gen VIII will have them).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

Haha, thanks for the tag.

Jynx actually has some popularity in Japan, as shown in the polls I posted here on this forum.
Jynx ranked 243th out of 720 in General Elections, placing even higher than Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Aerodactyl.

Also, I strongly insist that the Jynx controversy isn't big outside USA. Probably 80% talking about it are Americans.

I think ya guys went FAR overboard with the new megas guessing.

When I said new megas, I implied it for gen 8 game.

Adding new megas in PLGO feels out of place in an introductory game...
....though, i guess we already weren't expecting megas to be in it to begin with, so at this point anything can be.

There's also that "new pokemon" hint as well as that poster with the eevolutions + a black figure, which still made me wonder id that new mon is a new eevolution or..... mega eevee D:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The cynical side of me is honestly suspecting that Megas were not planned to be in the game from the start, but brought back after the backlash of them not being meaningfully present in the Gen VII games. Or maybe after the initial fan backlash against LGPE, although that would be really late in the development cycle to put them in.

Dev 1: "Oh no, they're saying LGPE looks like a dumbed-down version of Pokémon Yellow with prettier graphics! And since we don't have a marketing department, that narrative is sweeping through the Internet! This will cost us sales! What can we do?"
Dev 2: "We have to find something that was popular!"
Dev 1: "But I thought Kanto and Gen I itself was the most popular thing we could ever put in a Pokémon game!"
Dev 2: "We all did. But inexplicably, it looks like we need something more. Go look in the Big Pile Of Things We Never Planned To Put Back Into The Games!"
Dev 1: "Oh, look on top of The Pile! There's that thing we made to market Pokémon XY and ORAS, that was popular, wasn't it?"
Dev 2: "Ahh, the Z-moves of the previous generation? Mega something or other?"
Dev 1: "Sounds about right! Ooh, look, it has two Charizard in it!"
Dev 2: "Perfect! Go tell the coders to implement this 'Mega' thing! And be quick about it, the games ship in a couple of weeks! Meanwhile, I'll make sure to bring the message to the masses. Now where did I put the note with CoroCoro's phone number on it..."

New trailer:
Two buttons to Mega Evolve Charizard, huh? This is not supporting the idea of held items being a thing in this game.

By the way, I find it quite funny that they used different footage for the Mega Evolutions using moves in the english version of the trailer. Whereas in this japanese version Mega Charizard Y uses Flamethrower, in the english one it's using AIR CUTTER of all things.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Two buttons to Mega Evolve Charizard, huh? Not supporting the idea of held items being a thing in this game.
Having to choose X or Y mega Charizard implies that there are no hand held items on the Pokemon itself.

This makes me ask two questions:

1. When will the Mega Stones be available to the player? Will it be post-game like SM/USUM or will Mr. Fuji give us the stones like he gave to Red in Pokémon Origins? If we do, in fact, receive the Mega Stones DURING our journey, this could very well change the viability of the starter Pokémon for the better when it comes to efficient ingame runs, such as Mega Venusaur vs Blaine, Mega Charizard Y vs Lorelei, and Mega Charizard X vs Lance, to name a few.

2. How will this affect multiplayer battles? There doesn’t seem to be items in this game other than Mega Stones, which means Choice items, Z-moves, Leftovers, Life Orb, etc aren’t confirmed to be in PLGO, changing the way competitive Pokemon plays in this version by a lot.

I want Z moves to also be in, also without the need for a Z crystal. And for there to be new Mega Pokémon, the ones some people think will be in because of the new trademark. Still once per battle for both though. Since supposedly there are no hold items. It will make for an interesting competitive game for people to just be able to use a Z move whenever it's best for the battle instead of being limited to the single pokemon they gave a Z crystal too as well as limited to a single type of Z move. And it will also be interesting to be able to Mega Evolve with any of your pokemon depending on the situation, instead of just being limited to the one pokemon you gave the stone. Being able to choose to Mega Evolve into Charizard X or Y depending on your opponent's team, or just choosing to Mega Evolve an entirely different Pokemon on your team that's capable of Mega Evolution. The competitive scene of this game is the thing I'm most interested in.

You have a overestimation of the competitive scene of a game featuring only the first 151.

It'll boil down to just the starter megas + the big 6 of gen 1. Good luck killing Chansey :p

IF they release new megas in this game I just hope they're better designed
no more overcomplicated "just-the-same-pokemon-but-as-a-legendary" designs, stop suicunifing pokemon

New trailer:
At 0:05, Charizard's move set is:

- Dragon Pulse
- Flare Blitz
- Flamethrower
- Slash

Assuming the Charizard used in the trailer isn't bred, will this mean that Charizard can now learn Dragon Pulse via level up, or will there be a Dragon Pulse tutor available in this game?

You have a overestimation of the competitive scene of a game featuring only the first 151.

It'll boil down to just the starter megas + the big 6 of gen 1. Good luck killing Chansey :p
I don't think it will be the big 6 of Gen 1. Tauros definitely won't be any good. The mechanics have changed too much for him to be good again. I'm thinking the game will be like Kanto Classic of Gen 6, which only allowed Kanto mons and no held items. Except maybe Machamp won't be as good since the confusion nerf and also people think there are also no abilities in this game so it won't have No Guard. They think it for multiple reasons but also in this trailer, it didn't look like Charizard Y had Drought so people think there won't be abilities even more. I think it will be like Kanto Classic except with Megas. Also there will be the Alola forms.

Last edited:

There's actually quite a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon that can learn Taunt, such as Gyarados, Alakazam (doesn't even really need Focus Blast all that much except for Alolan forms), the Nidos, Aerodactyl, Mew, Gengar, and Alolan Muk. Plus, the available Fighting-types in the game (mainly Machamp and the Hitmons) would probably see a ton of usage in this assumed meta just because of mons like Chansey and Snorlax being so good.

That's based on the assumption movesets are the same, and the trailers and demo already shown it's not the case.

Knowing that the game is intentionally dumbed down, I'd not be surprised if moves like Taunt are just not present.

(Also, we do not know if breeding and TMs are a thing either. No breeding =no egg moves, and both those and Tutors are VERY important).

I do insist you have excessive estimation of a interesting meta in a game that intentionally excludes important mechanics like items and potentially abilities.

It definitely wouldnt be "identical", expecially as megas are a factor, but ultimately there's only so many mons in gen 1 that are able to not be broken by the flat bst of megas and alakazam/gengar.

If TMs end up NOT being in the game (which I highly doubt is the case), then that actually spells terrible news for Chansey as it can't learn Toxic or Thunder Wave and its level up movepool is beyond bad besides Softboiled. No items also means no Eviolite or even Leftovers. It can't even learn Seismic Toss to do any sort of damage.

So based on what you're saying, Worldie, Chansey sounds like a pretty bad pick, if you ask me.

I do insist you have excessive estimation of a interesting meta in a game that intentionally excludes important mechanics like items and potentially abilities.

It definitely wouldnt be "identical", expecially as megas are a factor, but ultimately there's only so many mons in gen 1 that are able to not be broken by the flat bst of megas and alakazam/gengar.
Well I said it would be interesting if Z moves were also in the game to be able to use them whenever you want. As far as we know though, the game is like Kanto Classic except with Megas, Alola forms, and maybe no abilities. If you thought Kanto Classic had a good meta, then you will probably like this games too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)