Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidden power is a normal type it just has the type effectiveness of other types so it would just give normal type
So let me get something straight.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Would Hidden Power be Grass or Ground type on this set?

So let me get something straight.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Would Hidden Power be Grass or Ground type on this set?
It would stay ground right? cause the effect of hidden power is to take on the traits of the type it is supposed to be while still being normal type (see normalium z instead of using the z crystal for the type it is)

It would stay ground right? cause the effect of hidden power is to take on the traits of the type it is supposed to be while still being normal type (see normalium z instead of using the z crystal for the type it is)
Alright, cool.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Mega Pidgeot finally has Normal STAB.

Alright, cool.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Mega Pidgeot finally has Normal STAB.
Yup it gets stab and mega medicham gets stab priority
Medicham-Mega
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt

Dragonite has the best luck ever
Dragonite
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost

Kartana can finally run a strong steel move if it so chooses

Something like this?

Kartanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- X-Scissor
- Smart Strike
Ya does it look like it would work at all?
The hardest part of this meta is to put moves in specific places to get the desired effect I think which allows creative to shine along side not only battle ability.

Ya does it look like it would work at all?
The hardest part of this meta is to put moves in specific places to get the desired effect I think which allows creative to shine along side not only battle ability.
I think it could work, but I I feel like Kartana can't hit Steel types as well as he could.

Last edited:
So I've got a pretty interesting concept I wanted to run by...
Second Chance

When A pokemon faints, they are auto switched out and are registered as "Knocked out". Knocked out pokemon can be "revived" Once one person's entire team has been Knocked Out. These pokemon are then able to be used again by said player, but they are revived with 30% HP and the ability to only use one move. All statuses/stat buffs/stat lowers are erased.

Just wanted to know if this sounds interesting enough to play. Just came up with it so I don't have some long thing for it, but if u guys like it I'll definitely add more.
I am really not a big fan of this, you either get outright sweeped or endless setup amd stall occur

Tag Team

- >
- >
- >

In this meta, pokemon who are switched in retain access to the last pokemon's ability, moveset and gain a +1 boost to the highest stat of the last pokemon (Other than HP).

Examples:

a. A Nidoking with a +Speed Nature and full Speed investment is KO'd, the player then switches in Nihilego. Nihilego now has access to Sheer Force and unparalleled coverage options, while gaining a +1 boost to speed, and is able to quickly capitalize on it's raw power to steamroll opponents thanks to a combination of Sheer Force, Coverage and Beast Boost.

b. Magic Guard Clefable switches into Blacephalon, giving it access to spammable Mind Blown, Moonblast to take a chunk out of mons like Tyranitar, and slightly mitigating Blacephalon's less than stellar defenses.

c. Dragonite switches in to Blissey, giving Blissey potential access to Multiscale, Haze, Dragon Tail and other options for shutting down potential sweeps. Prankster into haze potentially providing similar results.

Questions for the Community:

1. This meta could be inherently Hyper Offensive, is it worth banning a lot of mons in an attempt to balance the playstyles, or should we embrace the offensive nature of the meta?

2. Are you happy with the mechanics, or is there too much going on? Would it be better if the tagged pokemon's buffs were limited to just the ability, or just a stat boost? Would it be less interesting?

Bans:

Standard OU Banlist
Shedinja

Potential Bans:

Huge Power
Pure Power
Water Bubble
Regenerator

Maybe more? (Huge Power and Pure Power are pretty obvious bans I think, but I prefer to test stuff as much as possible)

Last edited:
W0rm Can abilities be chained? For example, if the Nihilego with Sheer Force and Beast Boost switched into a Porygon-Z, would it have Adaptability, Sheer Force, and Beast Boost, or just Adaptability and Beast Boost?

W0rm Can abilities be chained? For example, if the Nihilego with Sheer Force and Beast Boost switched into a Porygon-Z, would it have Adaptability, Sheer Force, and Beast Boost, or just Adaptability and Beast Boost?
Just Adaptability and Beast Boost. If they could be chained we'd be getting into Shared Power territory and as much as I loved that meta, there's a reason it didn't stick. Should probably specify that the same goes for moves/stat boosts, the tagged pokemon only retains the last pokemon's native moves and ability.

Edit: Also gonna clarify that the switch-in stat boosts would work like Beast Boost, where if two stats are equal then whichever stat comes first will provide the boost.

Generally speaking, you'll want to choose mons that have good synergy with your entire team, that being said, certain pokemon are capable of operating especially well together, for example

Thanks to Adaptability and Technician, Fell Stinger becomes a reasonably powerful bug type move that, in combination with the two's already more than respectable attack stats, allows them to pick off opponents and boost up to absurd levels. With Scizor especially appreciating the super-powered Bullet Punch and added ground coverage of Drill Run. They're also capable, if desired, of providing Landorus-therian with decent flying type STAB in either Acrobatics or Aerial Ace (Thanks Technician), and either a +Atk boost to bust through it's bulkier checks, or a +Spe boost to outrun faster threats.

Thanks to Mold Breaker, Mega-gyarados is able to plow through Water Absorb users while garnering boosts with Dragon Dance. The added special defense boost also makes Mega-gyara more than capable of taking a hit on the special side, and as a physical attacker it greatly appreciates the burn immunity, unfortunately, Araquanid doesn't provide much in the way of moves. But can provide the team with several opportunities to set-up Sticky Webs if switching in Gyara isn't the ideal choice.

In standard OU, there's not a situation imaginable where running Shell Smash on Shuckle would be worthwhile, but here, it quickly sets up rocks or webs, dies, and passes Shell Smash and Sturdy on to the next mon. Bruxish in particular is an excellent choice, as dazzling makes it extremely difficult to revenge kill unless priority is paired with a mold breaker user.

Last edited:
Tag Team

- >
- >
- >

In this meta, pokemon who are switched in retain access to the last pokemon's ability, moveset and gain a +1 boost to the highest stat of the last pokemon (Other than HP).

Examples:

a. A Nidoking with a +Speed Nature and full Speed investment is KO'd, the player then switches in Nihilego. Nihilego now has access to Sheer Force and unparalleled coverage options, while gaining a +1 boost to speed, and is able to quickly capitalize on it's raw power to steamroll opponents thanks to a combination of Sheer Force, Coverage and Beast Boost.

b. Magic Guard Clefable switches into Blacephalon, giving it access to spammable Mind Blown, Moonblast to take a chunk out of mons like Tyranitar, and slightly mitigating Blacephalon's less than stellar defenses.

c. Dragonite switches in to Blissey, giving Blissey potential access to Multiscale, Haze, Dragon Tail and other options for shutting down potential sweeps. Prankster into haze potentially providing similar results.

1. This meta could be inherently Hyper Offensive, is it worth banning a lot of mons in an attempt to balance the playstyles, or should we embrace the offensive nature of the meta?

2. Are you happy with the mechanics, or is there too much going on? Would it be better if the tagged pokemon's buffs were limited to just the ability, or just a stat boost? Would it be less interesting?

Bans:

Standard OU Banlist
Shedinja

Potential Bans:

Huge Power
Pure Power
Water Bubble
Regenerator

Maybe more? (Huge Power and Pure Power are pretty obvious bans I think, but I prefer to test stuff as much as possible)
Couple more things.
First, look over the bans in Shared Power. See why they were banned. Those abilities should be some to look at. (e.g. Technician + Skill Link)
Next, which part of the moveset does the Pokemon gain? The last move?
Lastly, if the Pokemon dies, the switch-in does not gain anything? Or could Suicide Leads get a buff in this meta?

Couple more things.
First, look over the bans in Shared Power. See why they were banned. Those abilities should be some to look at. (e.g. Technician + Skill Link)
Next, which part of the moveset does the Pokemon gain? The last move?
Lastly, if the Pokemon dies, the switch-in does not gain anything? Or could Suicide Leads get a buff in this meta?
The Pokemon that is switched in gains all 4 of the native moves of the previous pokemon. I toyed with the idea of it only being the last move, but I'd like to see how this plays out first. If a pokemon dies, it will still pass on it's moves to the next pokemon sent in.

---

I'll keep that in mind about considering Shared Powers ban list, thank you. However, I don't expect things to be that bad here. Technician + Skill Link is extremely powerful on it's own, but is the receiving Tech/Skill Link user going to be able to safely switch in to get those buffs? Or there's stuff like Magic Guard or Multiscale, which were incredibly broken in Shared Power because of the near limitless safe switch-ins they could provide against teams that didn't pack enough punch, here those safer switch-ins are limited to specific mons at specific times and nowhere near as spammable.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
THE THREAT:

Dewpider @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 3
EVs: 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Liquidation
- Sticky Web
- Poison Jab
- Lunge

This set gives Dewpider a spread of 16 HP / 7 Atk / 8 Def / 7 SpA / 8 SpD / 9 Spe, meaning that it passes along both Water Bubble and a speed boost. Pass it to a strong Water type (or anything really, can also go with a special set using Surf) or something with Moxie maybe and proceed to sweep. Dewpider can even up a layer of Sticky Web to make revenge killing harder.

If you didn't want to meme at level 3, Dewpider can accomplish this at any level really. Araquanid cannot, however.

Water Bubble seems maybe a bit too strong, eh? This is just the sweeping thing, you can just as easily make it so this passes an Attack or Special Attack boost.

E: On a different note, when do the switching in Pokemon get the new ability? For example, if Clefable switches into Volcarona, will Volcarona take Stealth Rock damage or not?

The Pokemon that is switched in gains all 4 of the native moves of the previous pokemon. I toyed with the idea of it only being the last move, but I'd like to see how this plays out first. If a pokemon dies, it will still pass on it's moves to the next pokemon sent in.

---

I'll keep that in mind about considering Shared Powers ban list, thank you. However, I don't expect things to be that bad here. Technician + Skill Link is extremely powerful on it's own, but is the receiving Tech/Skill Link user going to be able to safely switch in to get those buffs? Or there's stuff like Magic Guard or Multiscale, which were incredibly broken in Shared Power because of the near limitless safe switch-ins they could provide against teams that didn't pack enough punch, here those safer switch-ins are limited to specific mons at specific times and nowhere near as spammable.
I see.
So Suicide Leads get a gigantic boost in this meta, especially something like Explosion Lando to Chansey, passing a defensive boost.

Well, you obviously submitted MGyara + Water Bubble, both banned in Shared Power. Which is why keep in mind the banlist. +2 Water Bubble from a MGyara does not sound fun to go up against. Unless you're running Unaware + Stamina, which is kind of difficult to run in the first place.
I think you should consider Regen for a possible suspect. I mean, just switch between the Regen mon and any other 'mon (e.g. Latias + Pex, Tangrowth + Chansey) and you can stall out for a while.

I think that's about it for now.

Water Bubble is probably too strong yeah, regenerator I'm not so sure about but I think it'll be manageable honestly (though likely very annoying), either way I'm sure if those goes live at some point I'll spend a good chunk of the first day just quick banning stuff. I'd like to leave things fairly open ended at the start of the meta's development.

E: On a different note, when do the switching in Pokemon get the new ability? For example, if Clefable switches into Volcarona, will Volcarona take Stealth Rock damage or not?
Assuming it can be coded as such, switched in pokemon would gain the ability immediately, so in that scenario, Volcarona would not take SR damage. Unfortunately, that likely also means that pokemon receiving contrary would receive -1 to a stat.

Edit: I guess another question for you guys would be, if an ability like Water Bubble or Regenerator is deemed broken, should the ability be banned outright, or just banned from being passed onto the next mon?

Last edited:
Edit: I guess another question for you guys would be, if an ability like Water Bubble or Regenerator is deemed broken, should the ability be banned outright, or just banned from being passed onto the next mon?
Nope nope nope nope nope SO MUCH NOPE. Part of what caused Shared Power to be cancelled is instead of banning stuff, it modified its own rules. Just ban the ability outright

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Pokémon glitches, especially the early games, and I've always dreamed of seeing Nintendo canonizing at least the most famous of them, and of course I'm referring to Missingno.

The concept below changes some things from the original Missingno (types, stats and movepool) to have something more acceptable and at the same time completely according to what a glitchmon is.

First of all, it should be known that there are TWO different Missingno (one for the Red, Green and Blue versions and one for the Yellow version), and the idea is to unite them in one, the most fair would be to use the larger numbers of each version and include Sp. Atk and Sp. Def (in RBY, both were just the "special" then I'll put the Sp. Atk the same as the Sp. Def) to get in this Missingno that would look like this:

HP: 178
Attack: 136
Defense: 11
Sp. Atk: 23
Sp. Def: 23
Speed: 29

* To view the statistics for each Missingno, visit here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/MissingNo.

This Missingno that I am creating is not Normal / Bird as the original Missingno, but is of the type ** Null, that is, it has no weakness against any type, but also have no advantage.

** The idea of the Null type has to do with other glitches present in the RGBY versions that had types with no advantages and weaknesses, such as Glitch type or Cooltrainer type like this: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/%E2%80 % A6% E2% 80% A6

Movepool:

The movepool is quite the face of a glitchmon, having only three moves that I chose because they had a relationship with Missingno and other glithmons:

- Substitute (when transferred to Pokémon Stadium, Missingno becomes the doll that represents the Substitute, and also he learns Substitute via TM)

- Transform ('M (00) is a glitchmon very similar to Missingno and that appeared frequently when trying to find the Missingno, this glitchmon turns into a Ditto after being captured and also when it is transferred to Pokémon Stadium 2, the same happens in this case with Missingno also)

- Nullifier (the signature Missingno move I created, but it is inspired by the infamous move called "Super Glitch" that many glitchmons learned by level, this move in the games caused breakage and freezing of the game and were very powerful, Nullifier is the rectified version of Super Glitch that is a move based on Attack and is of Null type, that is, can hit neutral damage any Pokémon and has 150 BP, 99 PP and 100% ACC, and does not have STAB).

Appearance:

The appearance for the newer games is from a remastered Missingno, I imagine the following picture perfect:

Below, we have the height scale next to an average human being:

Physically, it has a gelatinous body, but rather solid and not very flexible, in fact Missingno can not wiggle much, and it starts to blink when it is defeated this way below, with the image alternating between a man and a generic Pokémon inside the body gelatinous, but blinks so fast that little is perceived the detail:

* Yes, this is another link with Missingno from the old games, which had the same coach image above when you saw Missingno in your party.

Now you have to use the imagination okay: After you stop blinking, Missigno is 100% solid and hard with a clean purple (without the glitches marks) and in the end it shatters in several solid pieces and returns immediately to Pokéball.

Ability and nature:

Null and null, yes, Missingno is not a Pokémon remember?

Pokédex Entry:

"For years, the researchers sought to discover what these mysterious creatures are, today it is known that the Missingno arise spontaneously through dimensional failures, but they are not considered as Pokémon."

Pokedex number is #000

Attachments

Last edited:
I had an idea for the usability of the original "Pokémon" # 000 (Missingno) in the official metagame; basically, I'm going to assume that Missingno is an empty space (Missing Number) in Pokédex that should belong to 39 Pokémon in the beta version of RBY; to summarize and clarify, I suggest you read this topic: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/there-were-190-pokémon.78267/

Well, where do I want to go? I want to turn Missingno into a real Pokémon to be used in battles, its form would be a Beta Pokémon because one of them should be Missingno (actually all betas could be, but in this case, we have to carve one), and my choice is it is:

View attachment 142513

Beta Spearow is the only one that attends the same types of Missingno, ie Normal / Bird (Bird is the beta name of the flying type), and its body with large beak and plump body coincides with the high attack and low speed of Missingno , and it is in this part that I want to arrive.

Missingno has two statistics, one for RB and one for Yellow, so the most fair would be to use the larger numbers of each version and include Sp. Atk and Sp. Def (in RBY, both were just the "special" that is down to Missingo, then I'll put the Sp. Atk the same as Attack) to get in this Missingno that would look like this:

HP: 178 (large user of Sub 101)
Attack: 136 (a lot of pain)
Defense: 11 (slightly bigger than Blissey, which does not mean much at all)
Sp. Atk: 136 (too much pain too)
Sp. Def: 23 (okay, have you noticed that Missingno is a Glass Cannon right?)
Speed: 29 (Glass Cannon for Trick Room teams?)

* To view the statistics for each Missingno, visit here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/MissingNo.

On the page above also your moveset is found, but we will put here:

Water gun
Pay day
Bind
Mega Punch
Razor Wind
Swords Dance
Mega Kick
Toxic
Take down
Double-Edge
BubbleBeam
Ice Beam
Blizzard
Submission
Seismic Toss
Rage
Thunder
Earthquake
Fissure
Psychic
Teleport
Sky Attack
Rest
Thunder Wave
Tri Attack
Substitute
Cut
Fly

My suggestions for abilities:

Early Bird
Cloud Nine
Hustle
Aren’t there a lot of glitch mons or something? I thin it might be cool to have some of those in (I don’t know what any of them do lol)

Tag Team

- >
- >
- >

Examples:

Bans:

Standard OU Banlist
Shedinja

Potential Bans:

Huge Power
Pure Power
Water Bubble
Regenerator

So let me get this right I could use a level 1 shuckle give a pokemon sturdy then use shell smash after I set up sticky web and rocks then go crazy with earthquake and other moves shuckles gets mostly shell smash shuckle is a great suicide lead cause it has hazards and some ok moves for coverage like earth power (I know my grammar is bad) lvl1 shuckle set

Shuckle@oran berry
Sturdy
-sticky web
-stealth rocks
-final gambit(or what ever you want just a way to get shuckle go away with a safe switch)
-coverage move of any kind that you want, earth power, earth quake, sludge wave, knock off

switch any of these out for shell smash of coarse unless you want to run contrary on something but really wanted hazards but make sure its a higher level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)