Metagame Fortemons

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm rather skeptical about these sets. Not only does this sound like faulty mechanics (shouldn't Spit Up reset the stockpile counter... you know like the actual move) but so far Fortemons has come off as a pretty hyper-offensive metagame meaning that setting up isn't exactly easy.

Y'all really need to get some replays with these sets before calling them broken. Pure theorymon never ends up well.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Quick question: moves don’t work as phsyical items right? Its like having no item in the slot, but still gaining the effect? Like how does Trick, Knock Off, and Magic Room (the one that disables held items) work?

Anyways, some cool sets I thought of:

Tapu Lele
Item: Draining Kiss
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Taunt

Lele can get 75% of all the damage it does back as health thanks to Draining Kiss. Its a cool opportunity for some recovery, and can be a perfect stallbreaker. I made it slow, bulky, and strong for that purpose, but I can also see Timid or phys def sets being good as well.

Raichu-Alola
Item: Nuzzle
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

In tandem with Koko and Surge Surfer, Raichu can have an extremely fast Volt Switch out to safety while paralyzing whatever takes it. Vary annoying but great for speed control. Even against stall it can NP and try to parahax if you really want.

Blacephalon
Item: Flame Charge
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Pretty scary mon under the right match up. Getting rid of Ghostium Z sucks, but a speed boost on every Shadow Ball and Flamethrower is a total nightmare. Sub + CM for stall and suckers of course.

Quick question: moves don’t work as phsyical items right? Its like having no item in the slot, but still gaining the effect? Like how does Trick, Knock Off, and Magic Room (the one that disables held items) work?
They work as physical items. If you check it, they're replaced by Ultranecroznium Z. Hence, Trick and Magic Room doesn't work. Knock Off only activates on non-move item slots.

Anyways, some cool sets I thought of:

Tapu Lele
Item: Draining Kiss
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Taunt

Lele can get 75% of all the damage it does back as health thanks to Draining Kiss. Its a cool opportunity for some recovery, and can be a perfect stallbreaker. I made it slow, bulky, and strong for that purpose, but I can also see Timid or phys def sets being good as well.

Raichu-Alola
Item: Nuzzle
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

In tandem with Koko and Surge Surfer, Raichu can have an extremely fast Volt Switch out to safety while paralyzing whatever takes it. Vary annoying but great for speed control. Even against stall it can NP and try to parahax if you really want.

Blacephalon
Item: Flame Charge
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Pretty scary mon under the right match up. Getting rid of Ghostium Z sucks, but a speed boost on every Shadow Ball and Flamethrower is a total nightmare. Sub + CM for stall and suckers of course.
Please check the banlist at the start of the forum

weird set

Volcarona @ Fiery Dance
Ability: Swarm
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- filler
Getting SpA boosts on really powerful moves lol.

What do you mean? Knock Off, Magic Room nor Trick is on there. And if you're talking about the sets, Draining Kiss, Nuzzle nor Flame Charge are on there.

And the banlist doesn't explicitly mention that moves do count as physical items.
Really? I could have sworn that flame charge was banned here (btw knock off will not add power, moves do not count as items, i know)

I did not read ALL of the posts before me so, if one of theses ideas already exists, I'm sorry

Volcarona @ gigadrain
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance

Quiver Dance allows to get a +1 spa and spe, letting him outspeed every pokemon without a priority move as an item. Bug Buzz and Flamethrower are here because of the STAB and HP ground is an answer to rock types that threaten Volcarona. Giga Drain makes him capable of getting 50% of the damages he just did to stay healthy.

Zygarde @ extremespeed
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Coil
- Stone Edge

Extreme speed allows Zygarde to run Coil + 3 attacks without having to use ddance to get faster than everything.

It seems this have a bug ou issue with side effect. Side effect like crit or stat drop trigger to often. In all my game i have see a minimum of 1 critique and sometime i can see more and more (3 crit in a row between me and my opponent). Of course i don't use a attack with crit boost.

So, it just my lucky day or what ?

EDIT: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7fortemons-829454598

A random battle with a lot of stat drop and critique.

Last edited:
It seems this have a bug ou issue with side effect. Side effect like crit or stat drop trigger to often. In all my game i have see a minimum of 1 critique and sometime i can see more and more (3 crit in a row between me and my opponent). Of course i don't use a attack with crit boost.

So, it just my lucky day or what ?

EDIT: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7fortemons-829454598

A random battle with a lot of stat drop and critique.
I didn't see crits, really, but the stat drops were just luck based.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Here's a strong lad

Braviary @ Crush Claw
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Basically abuses the Sheer Force ability by having Crush Claw in the Item slot. Even if your ability is removed, it still has a huge 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense. The coverage allows it to hit nearly everything unresisted (And, well, Eviolite is dead so Doublade is no worries). The only real issue is the Speed, so might need Webs support

On an unrelated note, how does Clear Smog on the Item slot works? My Muk has it as well as Shadow Sneak, but did not remove Volcarona's boosts:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7fortemons-439459

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7fortemons-829575797
Gyro Ball seems to be bugged. It failed for some reason in this replay. I've been hearing people saying that it fails when combo'd with Payback.

To clarify on its failing; it didn't give a fail message ("But it failed" or something similar) it said nothing. Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball, then the next turn immediately started.

Tagging urkerab cuz idk who else has been working on this

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I don't know if this was answered because I didn't look through every post in this thread, but someone posted a specific set a while back that I had a question about. If you put Freeze Dry in the item slot for a Mamo and then try to EQ a Rotom-Wash, what would take priority: the immunity to the original move, or the weakness to the new version of it?

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
I'm not the main programmer of Fortemons but I have contributed to it. Either way, I am quite familiar with the PS! codebase and can read the code to know how the format works (for anyone interested, it's located here).

Thus, even though I rarely battle competitively myself, for this month I decided to lurk in the Other Metas room and answer questions. I see the same ones over and over, all basically "does this count for fortemons???". And it's not exactly intuitive what does and doesn't count; the OP doesn't make it completely clear. It's also evident that the PS! implementation of this meta isn't exactly how the OP wanted it; the Payback -> Gyro Ball set they listed doesn't work as one would expect, as noted by drampa's grandpa above. So, I'm going to do the only sensible thing: make a post to describe exactly what happens when a move gets boosted.

Whether or not a forte's effect is transferred to a move is based partly on its implementation in PS!. The full source code for moves is located here, but I don't expect you to be able to read JavaScript to understand this meta.

Speaking of PS! code, the code may change at any time and render this post inaccurate and obsolete. We can only hope this doesn't happen, but chances are there'll be a glitch that needs patching or something idk.

I will refer to the move in the item slot as the "forte", and the move in the move slot (the one actually being used) as the "move".

Firstly, the move gains any flags that the forte had. These include whether or not the move is a contact move, whether the move is boosted by Triage, whether or not the move is boosted by Strong Jaw, etc. The full list of move flags is at the top of the move code linked above.

If the forte has positive or negative priority, the move will have the same priority. However, if they both have nonzero priority, they stack additively. Thus, a forte of Feint using Dragon Tail will have (+2) + (-6) = -4 priority.

Anything that happens to the user when the forte hits is merged into the move. This is a bit ambiguous, but for attacking moves there's really only a few things that this can mean:
  • Stat drops such as recoil (like Close Combat giving -1 def/spdef)
  • Having to recharge
  • Being locked into a move like Outrage/Petal Dance
Any secondary effects that the forte has are added to the move. If you run Sheer Force anything, you should already know what this means. Examples of secondary effects include: Sludge Bomb poisoning, Nuzzle paralyzing, and Charge Beam boosting the user. Moves that have a secondary effect are marked as having one in the /dt command. The move also keeps its own secondaries, so a Dark Pulse forte on Zen Headbutt will have a 20% chance to flinch followed by another 20% chance to flinch, or 36% overall.

If the forte has variable base power, the power calculation is given to the move. Notable examples include Return/Frustration, Gyro Ball, Payback, Fury Cutter. Not all moves that can have an innate power boost necessarily have "variable base power" by definition; any move in the move source code that has a "basePowerCallback" does. Also note that the forte can overwrite the move's own base power calculation. This explains the Payback + Gyro Ball error; Payback's base power calculation overrides Gyro Ball. But since Payback reads the move's base power directly, and Gyro Ball is defined with 0 base power, the engine will calculate Gyro Ball with 0 base power, something never intended to happen as it would normally be overwritten by Gyro Ball's base power calculation.

Everything is a lot less complicated from here on out.

If the forte breaks Protect when it hits, the move will, too. Example: If a mon's forte is Feint, all of its attacks will break through Protect.
If the forte has a heightened crit ratio, the move will, too. If the forte and move both have a high crit ratio, they stack to the point where the move will always crit.
If the forte uses a specific defensive stat to calculate damage, the move will too. Example: If a mon's forte is Psyshock, all of its attacks will use physical Defense to calculate damage regardless of their actual category.
If the forte drains HP, the move will drain that much HP as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Draining Kiss, all of its attacks will heal it for 3/4 of the damage inflicted.
If the forte forces the target to switch, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Dragon Tail, all of its attacks will force the target to switch to a random Pokemon.
If the forte ignores the ability of the target, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Moongeist Beam, all of its attacks will ignore the target's Ability when attacking, in the same way that Mold Breaker does.
If the forte ignores the foe's defensive boosts, the move will as well. Example: Sacred Sword as a forte.
If the forte ignores the foe's evasion boosts, the move will as well. Example: Sacred Sword again.
If the forte ignores certain immunities, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Thousand Arrows, all of its Ground attacks can hit Flying-type Pokemon.
If the forte adds a field effect when it hits, the move will as well. The only case that applies here is Plasma Fists as a forte, making all the mon's moves give the Ion Deluge effect.
If the forte has recoil, the move will for the same amount. Example: If a mon's forte is Wild Charge, all of its moves will get 1/4 recoil.
If the forte causes the user to switch out when it hits, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Volt Switch, it will immediately get to switch out after hitting any attack.
If the forte can be used when the user is asleep, the move can as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Snore, all of its attacks can be used while sleeping.
If the forte steals the positive boosts of the target when it hits, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Spectral Thief, all of its attacks will steal the foe's positive boosts before calculating damage.
If the forte innately thaws the target if it hits, the move will as well.
If the forte uses the target's offensive stat to calculate damage, the move will as well.
Example: If a mon's forte is Foul Play, all of its attacks will use the target's Attack or Special Attack to calculate damage, depending on the category of the move.
If the forte gives the target a volatile status if it hits, the move will as well. The only things this rule applies to are partial trapping moves and the Smack Down effect; anything else is probably implemented as secondary effects, which are copied anyways. If a mon's forte is Infestation, all of its attacks will cause partial trapping. If a mon's forte is Smack Down, all of its attacks will knock down a flying target.
If the forte always crits, the move will as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Storm Throw, all of its attacks will always crit.

Lastly, any other fortes that have some sort of "on hit" effect will be transfered to move. These are described as a function in a move's defnition known as "onHit" and is notably used for the following cases:
Bug Bite/Pluck stealing the berry
Clear Smog clearing boosts
Core Enforcer disabling the foe's ability
Fire/Water/Grass Pledge adding their special side conditions when they are combo'd with other moves (If a mon's forte is Fire Pledge and it uses Water Pledge after an ally uses Grass Pledge, it will inflict both Grass Pledge (from Water Pledge's onHit) and Fire Pledge (from Fire Pledge's onHit) on the foe's side. But this doesn't matter because this isn't a doubles format right now.)
Flame Burst dealing its residual damage to the target's neighbors
Fury Cutter doubling the power of a move (Since all moves have this property as well as Fury Cutter's base power calculation, any move will increase the Fury Cutter multiplier, doubling any moves' power, but power still caps at 160.)
Incinerate burning the berry
Pay Day helping you mine bitcoins
Relic Song transforming Meloetta
Smelling Salts/Wake-up Slap curing the status that powers them up

Also, if this effect takes effect even when hitting a Substitute, the move will do so as well. So if the forte is Core Enforcer, it will have its ability-negating effect even on a foe behind a Substitute.

This is the most comprehensive guide I could make, but if you still have questions, please ask them!

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Fire/Water/Grass Pledge adding their special side conditions when they are combo'd with other moves (If a mon's forte is Fire Pledge and it uses Water Pledge after an ally uses Grass Pledge, it will inflict both Grass Pledge (from Water Pledge's onHit) and Fire Pledge (from Fire Pledge's onHit) on the foe's side. But this doesn't matter because this isn't a doubles format right now.)
Two questions:

- If I have a Smeargle with a forte as Fire Pledge and use Water Pledge, does it gain the effect?
- If I use Payback with Double Kick / Double Hit / Dual Chop, does the effect of doubling damage apply to the second hit since the target was already hit that turn?

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Two questions:

- If I have a Smeargle with a forte as Fire Pledge and use Water Pledge, does it gain the effect?
It would need to have an ally also use Fire Pledge or Grass Pledge, which can't happen as this is a singles meta. It's not actually "using" Fire Pledge, it's just running some of its effects when Water Pledge is used.

- If I use Payback with Double Kick / Double Hit / Dual Chop, does the effect of doubling damage apply to the second hit since the target was already hit that turn?
Payback is about whether or not the target has moved, not whether or not they have been hurt. Thus, if the target has already moved, both hits will have double power.

So I made a set to deal with Bruxish and Tsareena.

Pinsir @ Feint
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Sadly Pinsir only has fury cutter and X-scissor for stab and mold breaker does not bypass psychic surge's psychic terrain so you might want to also run your own Tapu that is not Tapu Lele to get rid of psychic terrain.

Note that anyone who previously tried Fortemons on ROM would have noticed some differences in behaviour because I coded it 2 months ago and nobody complained that it was wrong so it never got changed.
Firstly, the move gains any flags that the forte had. These include whether or not the move is a contact move, whether the move is boosted by Triage, whether or not the move is boosted by Strong Jaw, etc. The full list of move flags is at the top of the move code linked above.
On ROM the move loses its own flags.
If the forte has positive or negative priority, the move will have the same priority. However, if they both have nonzero priority, they stack additively. Thus, a forte of Feint using Dragon Tail will have (+2) + (-6) = -4 priority.
On ROM the priorities are simply added together. This might be what you're saying but I found your phrasing confusing.
If the forte has a heightened crit ratio, the move will, too. If the forte and move both have a high crit ratio, they stack to the point where the move will always crit.
Actually two high crit ratios is only the same as Focus Energy, so you still need Super Luck or a crit-boosting item. On ROM the crit ratio doesn't stack, so you need Focus Energy to crit.
If the forte drains HP, the move will drain that much HP as well. Example: If a mon's forte is Draining Kiss, all of its attacks will heal it for 3/4 of the damage inflicted.
I believe Kris's implementation tried to stack Draining too, so that might reappear at some point.
Lastly, any other fortes that have some sort of "on hit" effect will be transfered to move.
This doesn't work on ROM.
This is the most comprehensive guide I could make, but if you still have questions, please ask them!
Very nice and comprehensive, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)