Weird theories.

1546798815096.png

Is possibly one of the weirdest Pokemon theories ever.

In this thread, post random ideas and theories that you have heard of / made up. Things like Jessie and James were a couple are common, so try and post things which aren’t as common and preferably weirder. I’ll give you another example

Cubone is a kanga baby.

Okay, so this one isn't that disturbing, right? At least not until you consider that Cubone is actually wearing the skull of its dead Kangaskhan mother in an act of disturbing, childlike grief.

So what do you people think about how levelling in anime compares to in-game? Does ash’s pika just suck!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
So what do you people think about how levelling in anime compares to in-game? Does ash’s pika just suck!
Well, it beat Latios, and other legendaries, but I would argue it’s power varies per season/region.

Also, I wish the anime had experience share, then it would compare!

Here is a theory: Butch and Cassidy got promoted past their rank as grunts and that is why we never hear from them anymore. Therefore; they now outrank Jessie and James!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Is possibly one of the weirdest Pokemon theories ever.
I'll certainly say it is, a drawing of a Diglett underground that doesn't make it an eldritch abomination and makes it look cute? Preposterous!

Things like Jessie and James were a couple are common.
That's really only from the Electric Tales of Pikachu manga where in the end they not only got married but the last shot was a visibly pregnant Jessie.

Cubone is a kanga baby.
I actually have a different theory about Kangaskhan and their babies.

So, the oddest thing about baby Kangaskhans is that not only aren't they their own Pokemon but a newly hatched Kangaskhan is fully grown with a baby in its pouch (and seemingly the mother doesn't lose the baby that that it has in its pouch). So, what is the "baby" Kangaskhan then, what is its purpose if it doesn't grow into another Kangaskhan and new Kangaskhan are hatched with one, and why is the "mother" so protective of it?

My theory: the "baby" is actually an incomplete clone of the "mother", having half of her DNA (other half being a "blank" slate of DNA strand). A "baby" Kangaskhan can be quickly grown by a "mother" within a day if not a few hours, and there's always an "extra" laying in dormant within the mother if something were to happen to the active one. When breeding, since the mother Kangaskhan is the one laying the egg being the female, the active "baby" enters into an egg so that its blank DNA half can be split off and replaced with the DNA half of the "mother's" mate. Meanwhile the extra "baby" that was laying in dormant is fully developed and birthed in the pouch, so to an outsider it would only look like the "baby" went into the pouch during the egg laying (in actuality the older active clone getting ready to turn into an egg) and then comes back out after the egg is laid (in actuality a new clone that was laying in dormant, and now another dormant clone will be grown). The "baby" in the egg becomes a full fledged Kangaskhan, including creating clones of its own. Finally, when a Kangaskhan Mega Evolves, what happens is that the "baby" temporarily doubles the mother's DNA (it's not exactly a completed clone, but it's now complete enough that it can battle); when the Mega Evolution ends the copied DNA breaks back down into blank DNA.

No explanation why the species feels like it needs to have a "baby" constantly in its pouch (or how it even evolved being able to do this), but it is indeed part of the species reproduction thus why the "mother" is very protective of it. Also there's a question if creating a "baby" is a conscious decision of the "mother" or if the body just naturally does it. What happens when a "baby" is removed from the pouch for a long period of time? The "mother" doesn't immediately replace it with the dormant clone in waiting, it has time to look for the lost "baby"; that would seem to point towards the "mother" having to consciously create a "baby". Yet new Kangaskhans are automatically hatched with one and there's no Kangaskhan that doesn't have a "baby" unless they lost it; that would seem to point towards the "mother" not having a conscious decision in the matter and does it out of instinct. From hear research gets a bit fuzzy due to the "mother's" getting annoyed at the scientists and hitting them with a Dizzy Punch.

I half-buy the "Blue's Raticate is dead" theory. That is, I believe the rat is dead, but I don't think the player was the one who killed it. The part about the player killing the Raticate I feel is just tacked on for the sake of edginess.
Or he, you know, put it in his PC. Because he went to the Pokemon Tower specifically looking for a Cubone. Now he says he got the Cubone yet only battles with 5 Pokemon. Even if the Cubone had only some HP left it would still be able to fight, so after catching the Cubone it either got knocked out (OR that's why we don't battle Raticate, when trying to catch the Cubone it got knocked out) or in-story Blue just decides not to use the Cubone because he just caught it and its weak.

"NO! If Blue has a knocked out sixth Pokemon we'd see that, in his party, there would be a grayed out Poke Ball! Also we're disregarding story-gameplay segregation arguments"

Okay, well Blue also said he was looking for a Marowak but wasn't able to find one. So maybe after catching a Cubone he went back to the Pokemon Center, deposited it, and went back into the Pokemon Tower with a team of 5 because he was eager to see the Marowak's stats and didn't want to wait until going back to the Pokemon Center to see what they were. Blue is impatient and would be egotistical enough to think he'd be perfectly fine even without a full party of six Pokemon despite having enough Pokemon for it.

No, the writers just suck.

While the most classic example of this was Pikachu losing to a newly received Snivy, let us also remember that battle happened when Pikachu was de-powered thanks to an encounter with Zekrom. Of course that doesn't excuse the next battle with Trip where Pikachu lost to his Servine. However, as I said, this is more the writers sucking at their job as Best Wishes was a steep fall from Diamond & Pearl. The writers felt like they had no idea what they were doing with the story and characters. There's no excuse why Pikachu shouldn't have just solo'd Trip's team the next time they battled as Zekrom fully restored Pikachu's power (thus having Pikachu lose it in the first place makes no sense: not only did Pikachu no remained de-powered but Trip & Snivy had plot armor because they needed him to look better than Ash (didn't work, we could tell Trip was a lesser Paul) so they would have beaten Pikachu anyway it seems as shown with their next battle).

XY was a bit of a step up but still had major issues with character and story. However they just gave up with Sun & Moon, at least with having it follow the story of the games.

Here is a theory: Butch and Cassidy got promoted past their rank as grunts and that is why we never hear from them anymore. Therefore; they now outrank Jessie and James!
Wouldn't surprise me but that's not why they don't show up anymore. They don't show up anymore because the writers most likely forgot about them. Though just in general we don't see a lot of other members of Team Rocket besides the Rocket Trio, Giovanni, and his assistant Matori. Yes, we did get Matori leading a squad of Rocket Grunts to Alola to get info on Necrozma and I guess they could have included Cassidy & Butch with them, though really the only reason to have them would be if they were interacting with Jessie, James, & Meowth but the Trio were pushed to the sidelines during that arc doing their own thing.

Big Brother-Little Sister Theory: Don't know if its weird but its a theory: Kalos Fairy-type Gym Leader Valerie is the little sister of the Pokemon Storage System creator Bill. Evidence:

1. XY takes place at least 10+ years after the events of Gen I (and maybe II).
2. In Gen II, we meet more of Bill's family in Goldrenrod City, including his little sister. When talked to, his little sister will mention that Bill once turned himself into a Pokemon and that she wants to turn into a Pokemon. We're also told that Bill's mother was a Kimono Girl. This connects Bill's family to Ecruteak City as that's where the Kimono Girl's Dance Theater is (and where we meet Bill in Gen II).
3. Jump forward to XY, we meet Valerie. A tourist in a hotel will reveal that Valerie is from Johto. He never says where, but there's several clues pointing it to being Ecruteak we'll now go over.
4. First Valerie's Gym title is "The Maiden from a land with History", which at first you think may be referring to Laverre City BUT it may be referring to Ecruteak City which has the title of "A Historical City".
5. A Japanese exclusive hint, Valerie speaks with a Kyoto dialect (both in the games and anime). Ecruteak City is based on Kyoto where the dialect originated from, obviously.
6. Though Valerie isn't said to be a kimono girl, infact she's said to be a model and fashion designer, she still has a connection to them. Her Gym is filled with the Furisode Girls trainer class. A furisode is a type a kimono worn by young unmarried woman which are notable for having long sleeves. And though most of her attire isn't (traditional) kimono-like, Valerie wears long sleeves alluding to a furisode kimono. And as previously mentioned, Bill's (and his sisters' (he also has an older sister but that's besides the point)) mom was a Kimono Girl.
7. Valerie says she always wanted to be a Pokemon, just like Bill's little sister said she wanted to be.
8. Valerie's ace Pokemon is Sylveon, an Eeveelution. Bill's favorite Pokemon is Eevee and the Eeveelutions, giving the player an Eevee in Gen II; but that's not all: Kimono Girls all use Eeveelutions.

So, what can we figure from all this? Probably wanting to follow in their mother's footsteps, when Bill's little sister grew old enough she may have moved to Ecruteak City to train to be a Kimono Girl (at some point also getting an Eevee). However, she never grew up from wanting to become a Pokemon due to her brother's story of him accidentally turning into a Pokemon, so instead chose to become a fashion designer and model; making and wearing clothes based on Pokemon. To expand upon on her career path she moved to Kalos, the region of fashion, where she settled in Leverre City. The city of Fairy-types, Bill's little sister took a liking to them and based her designs on them (at some point, her Eevee evolved into a Sylveon). Now how she became the Gym Leader who knows, it could just be very well in addition to being a talented designer she was a very good trainer and the Kalos League asked her to be Laverre's Gym Leader and she accepted for reasons.

Now there is one road bump to this theory. While Bill also has a dialect, it's a Kansai dialect. This makes sense as Goldenrod is based on Osaka which is within the Kansai region. So, wouldn't Bill's little sister also speak with a Kansai dialect instead of a Kyoto? Now the obvious counter to this is that some people pick up local dialects after living in that place for a while. So if Bill's little sister first moved to Ecruteak City in order to try to become a Kimono Girl but then shifting to fashion design & modelling, it's possible she picked up the dialect before then moving to Kalos.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
People talk about the Sun and Moon (and the Ultras) Pokedex entries, and how they seem almost darker and terrifying than any Pokedex we've seen in the games that came before. Well a theory I have is that the Gen 1-6 Pokedex entries are not necessarily 100% accurate, realistic, or specific to a Pokemon because they were written by human scientists: obviously in the realm of science there's room for error, and what is said in science is capable of being wrong or false, and is based largely on observation, and obviously humans aren't Pokemon and cannot necessarily fully understand them, so the scientists who wrote the dex entries for the non-Alola Pokedex were going off of their observations and of course have room for human error.

However, the Alolan Pokedex is, unlike the other Pokedexes of other regions, in a way alive. Why? Because it's possessed by an actual Pokemon, and powered up by one: Rotom. Rotom is a Pokemon, and it fuses with the dex and interacts with you directly, and most of the Pokedexes functions are powered up by Rotom who has a personality and therefore channels these programs. Therefore: the Alolan Pokedex entries are the way they are because they are from the perspective of an actual Pokemon. Not just a human scientist who observed them and made conclusions based on what they saw or observed, but an actual Pokemon who likely interacted with other Pokemon, and as a Pokemon can interact more directly with Pokemon, understand them better, and know the process behind the behavior of Pokemon, and it is speaking from first-hand experience. It is speaking from the eyes of being a Pokemon and interactions between Pokemon and Pokemon, not human and Pokemon.

Therefore, the most likely reason the Alolan Pokedex entries are so dark is because they are from the perspective of an actual Pokemon: Rotom's perspective.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
A couple of other ones, mostly related to the design of the games:

I believe that Onix has such poor stats because it was nerfed down for use in the first Gym RBY. Its appearance suggests a much more fearsome attacker than what we ended up with, it probably originally had higher Attack and HP, but lower Speed and Defense (base 160 is ridiculous, especially since nothing in its design suggests it to be that bulky). Its Special stat was probably also lowered so it would be easier to take down with the starter. I imagine Onix to originally have been somewhere between Graveler and Golem in terms of power, which would make it a suitable Pokémon to fit on Bruno's team.

The triplets in Striaton Gym - Cilan, Cress and Chili - were probably conceived so they could display the new Triple and Rotation battle formats in Gen V. However, they were put into the first Gym of the game, and that idea was scrapped - it would have been way too early in the game to start introducing such novelty battle formats. Hence why the somewhat random character Charles introduces the formats instead.

I've talked about this one before: Ash-Greninja. I believe it is the remains of a feature Game Freak planned to introduce in the scrapped Pokémon Z (yes, Pokémon Z must have existed but scrapped at some point. Read this article by DHR-107), where the player's starter Pokémon would mimic the visual style of its trainer. Gen VI already introduced a feature where the trainer model could change textures and add accessory objects (clothes and hairstyle), so it wouldn't be unfeasible to do the same to the three fully evolved starter models as well. All three fully evolved Gen VI starters are humanoid, probably to allow for this feature. However, the feature was scrapped and Ash-Greninja, the proof of concept, is the only remnant left of it. Maybe the fact that trainers are now visible in battles also had something to do with it, I believe the effect of this "similarity feature" would be enhanced even more if the trainer stood right behind it so you could make comparisons.

It is likely that the taxi service in Lumiose City was originally intended for Gen V. Paris isn't particularly known for its yellow taxis (at least not outside Paris), but New York certainly is, and Game Freak went to the effort of making roads visible in several places of the region. Presumably, it would have been a method of fast travel between cities until you got Fly in Mistralton City, as opposed to Driftveil City where you get it in the final game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I believe that Onix has such poor stats because it was nerfed down for use in the first Gym RBY. Its appearance suggests a much more fearsome attacker than what we ended up with, it probably originally had higher Attack and HP, but lower Speed and Defense (base 160 is ridiculous, especially since nothing in its design suggests it to be that bulky). Its Special stat was probably also lowered so it would be easier to take down with the starter. I imagine Onix to originally have been somewhere between Graveler and Golem in terms of power, which would make it a suitable Pokémon to fit on Bruno's team.
I imagine Steelix was probably more what Onix was supposed to be (not as high of course, but closer). Let's give Gen I Onix the stats of Steelix (its Special stat using Steelix's Special Attack since that's how it is with Onix), with any stat above what it normally would be subtracted from its Defense and Speed:

Original:---35/--45/160/-30/ 70//340
Changes: +40/+40/-65/+25/-40
Result:-----75/-85/ 95/ 55/ 30//340

This looks much more reasonable for what a giant rock snake. Bulk, power, slow, and not one stat crazy high.

Evolution Doesn't Work That Way: Speaking of popular Gen I theories, I don't believe in the one that Caterpie/Venonat was meant to evolve into Venomoth/Butterfree and Dratini/Magikarp into Gyarados/Dragonite.
For Caterpie/Venonat into Venomoth/Butterfree, yes the switched pair share characteristics but that's ignoring that Caterpie is based on a species of caterpillar that becomes a butterfly (and that caterpillar and butterfly can look very different from one another). All Caterpie characteristics can be explained away from what its based on. Of course no matter what the oddity of a mite evolving into a moth/butterfly still goes unresolved.
And for Dratini/Magikarp into Gyarados/Dragonite, this is just based on Dratini and Gyarados both being serpents. This blatantly ignores all the design similarities between the basic stage and their final stage (Dragonite is just a Dratini/Dragonair with arms and legs and Gyarados has the lips, whiskers, and fins of Magikarp).

Ditto Is Failed Mew Clone: However, to stay on topic, I do believe in the theory that Ditto is a failed Mew clone. They share roughly the same normal and Shiny color, both learn Transform naturally, both weigh 8.8 pounds, and in Yellow they made the specific change that Ditto can only be found in the Pokemon Mansion (where Mewtwo was created) & Cerulean Cave (where Mewtwo resides).

The triplets in Striaton Gym - Cilan, Cress and Chili - were probably conceived so they could display the new Triple and Rotation battle formats in Gen V. However, they were put into the first Gym of the game, and that idea was scrapped - it would have been way too early in the game to start introducing such novelty battle formats. Hence why the somewhat random character Charles introduces the formats instead.
Reasonable though I'm not completely sold. BW had this odd thing where the first two Gyms were tutorial Gyms. Striaton Triplets taught you about Type match-ups (and that you can't solely rely on your Starter) while Lenora taught you that to get the advantage you needed to look around. Because of that, I think there being three was just to assure their type match-up lesson. As you said, it's too early to introduce a new style of battling when you didn't even have your first Gym Battle.

However it is odd you never had a Triple Battle with them throughout all of Gen V. Would have been an easy enough bonus battle to have post game, infact there's a house in Opelucid City where you have a Triple/Rotation battle with the Elemental Monkey's but it's just a random Ace Trainer! Then in B2W2 they instead had you team up with one of the brothers for a Double Battle against the other two, but never Triple/Rotation against them (once again, maybe have it as a bonus for having battles with one of each in a row).

Striaton Triad: So, any one else believed that originally the Striaton Triplets were originally planned to be the Shadow Triad? I find myself torn between believing that was the plan or it was maybe also meant to be a red hearing that in BW it was just a coincidence that Bianca wasn't able to recruit the Striaton Triplets in time before the showdown with the Plasma Sages. Not to mention it seems like even the Special Manga may have been planting "hints" if you look at the BW designs for the Shadow Triad in that:

(Note the masks shape match with the Elemental Monkey's face design)

It's kind of odd they did this since there is concept art for the Shadow Triad for BW (oddly they were all given different designs yet in B2W2 they only have one shared design). Why go with these designs then? Now I feel the manga creators have a close connection with GF/Pokemon Company so are told behind doors information. So I'm curious if the decision to have the Striaton Triplets be a separate trio from the Shadow Triad was maybe decided late in development/not until B2W2, thus unsure what was going to be the case the manga creators included "hints".

I've talked about this one before: Ash-Greninja. I believe it is the remains of a feature Game Freak planned to introduce in the scrapped Pokémon Z (yes, Pokémon Z must have existed but scrapped at some point. Read this article by DHR-107), where the player's starter Pokémon would mimic the visual style of its trainer. Gen VI already introduced a feature where the trainer model could change textures and add accessory objects (clothes and hairstyle), so it wouldn't be unfeasible to do the same to the three fully evolved starter models as well. All three fully evolved Gen VI starters are humanoid, probably to allow for this feature. However, the feature was scrapped and Ash-Greninja, the proof of concept, is the only remnant left of it. Maybe the fact that trainers are now visible in battles also had something to do with it, I believe the effect of this "similarity feature" would be enhanced even more if the trainer stood right behind it so you could make comparisons.
Only issue with that theory is that, if that was going to be the case, why didn't they have Serena and Clemont fully evolve their Starters? Now, I do want to believe in this theory, but this is the only hiccup I find in it and I kind of consider it a major hiccup. Why would they not develop a Serena-Delphox and Clemont-Chesnaught too? Actually, why would they even base Ash-Greninja on Ash when in the games the playable boy does not resemble Ash at all. The anime would be advertising a form you cannot get.

The cynic in me just thinks Ash-Greninja was only done because, for some reason, they didn't want to give Ash a Mega Pokemon so this was their work around, working alongside GF/Pokemon Company to then implement in the game as a special Pokemon.

Zygarde Hunt: However there is something about Z version (which I do think they were making) which I'm curious about: exactly how were they going to do the Zygarde Hunt? In Sun & Moon the hunt is optional, but Zygarde would be the mascot of Z version so would the hunt have been made required? Does that also mean the player would be able to use Zygarde or would they just be collecting Cells and Cores without being able to do anything with them. In that case where would 10% form fit into the story? Or 50%? I mean, I guess they could only have you needing to collect 40 cells, later receiving 10 more from 10% once its role in the story is done and then combining your 50 with 50% to make Complete, but that would still require the player to look for 40 cells (and at most 3 cores).

BTW, TvTropes WMG for Pokemon should be a good source of weird theories. ;)

None of mine are too odd, but:

I absolutely think the names of Salamence and Flygon were accidentally switched at some point in development. Bagon-Shelgon-Flygon and Trapinch-Vibrava-Salamence makes so much more sense.

Pokémon grow differently with different people. The player is exceptionally good at getting a team to high level in a short time, which is why most people focus on a few mons and why so many adults have 3 level 20s when this child left home a week ago and can crush them with 1 of their 6 mons. This is also why gym leaders and E4 members sometimes have illegal evolutions or moves, they specialize in those mons and can bring out their power even easier than you can, even though you can level them better.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokémon grow differently with different people. The player is exceptionally good at getting a team to high level in a short time, which is why most people focus on a few mons and why so many adults have 3 level 20s when this child left home a week ago and can crush them with 1 of their 6 mons. This is also why gym leaders and E4 members sometimes have illegal evolutions or moves, they specialize in those mons and can bring out their power even easier than you can, even though you can level them better.
Ah, the child Prodigy theory. Yes, I like that one too. And I also believe it is why you're taken out of school to pursue a Pokémon training career full-time (we meet many trainers standing in one spot all the time, presumably they're just there on a hobby basis), and how you're able to use Poké Centers for free - your mom or the professor sponsor an unlimited-use subscription for you. You may even get corporate sponsors eventually - which enables your mother to stay at home all day: as your legal guardian, that money is also hers until you turn 18.

Another one I forgot yesterday: The player gets some serious discounts in PokéMarts, and the amount of money you win through battles is really just pocket change. As we see in RBY, the price of a Bicycle is one million Pokédollars, which is a lot more money than you're likely to carry around at any time, but a bicycle is not a particularly expensive item. There is presumably a system in place so that young trainers don't carry huge sums of money on their person. Instead, your mom might be billed the full cost of the items later. Then again, the same system works when you find gold nuggets and sell them to the store. Lots of money to that bank account you can't access, and a crisp 5000p bill (worth approximately as much as a gum wrapper) for you.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like the theory floating around that RBY Giovanni is actually trying to save the world from Mewtwo.
That theory goes as follows:

Giovanni is seen trying to steal exactly two items from Silph Co.: the Silph Scope, and later the Master Ball.
Now, how is that relevant?

The Silph Scope allows one to see ghosts in their presumably true form. This in turn might allow the wielder to catch them, as they are impossible to battle (thus to catch) without it.
The Master Ball can catch any Pokémon, without fail except that 1 in a 65536 chance if you're unlucky since we're talking Gen I, and can be used as a cheat item of sorts against legendaries.

Where does that lead us?
The theory states that Giovanni knew what Mewtwo was capable of after TR bioengineered it, which is why he was trying to catch Ghosts: they're super effective against Psychic and would likely be able to dent Mewtwo. The Master Ball would have been a surefire plan in case Plan A failed for one reason or another, being a backup item to sacrifice if it meant capturing Mewtwo.

Though, since the only Ghosts in Gen I are the Gastly evolution line, and they're part Poison-type, and Psychic is super effective against Poison... well, Giovanni could've spared himself the effort and caught a Butterfree or something. :bloblul:

I posted about this one years ago I believe, but I still enjoy it: I like to think that the reason so many of the Gen 5 mons evolve late is that it's a very subtle jab at American culture being rather conservative, with Unova being based on the US and all. That's probably not true, but it's fun to think about.

I enjoy the theory on Reddit suggesting that Koffing was actually created by Team Rocket, who was trying to create a Ghost-type Pokemon.
Koffing.jpg

It goes like this:
Team Rocket wanted a ghost they can control to steal things easily, since Ghost-type Pokemon can turn invisible, travel through walls, instill fear in their opponents, etc. To achieve that, scientists attempted to replicate Gastly, the only known Ghost-type Pokemon line in Kanto. Whether they used gas particles from Gastly or used poison from other sources is not known, but they used poisonous gas and a round flimsy balloon-like construct to create the round form of Gastly. They were not able to achieve a ghost, and they instead ended up with Koffing. Since it was very fragile and could explode , they made sure the sign for "Danger" (human skull and bones) was added to it.

Upon further tests and attempts to make the thing evolve into a Ghost-type like Haunter, scientists added more gas and more particles to their Koffings. It only resulted in a bloated mis-shapen mass that is Weezing. It's still without ghost-like capabilities, with a look of misery and pain on its face. Rather than push for another evolution to try to reach a Ghost-type like Gengar, the scientists stopped their experiments.

It's plausible, and I like the flavour it adds to Koffing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ah, the child Prodigy theory. Yes, I like that one too. And I also believe it is why you're taken out of school to pursue a Pokémon training career full-time (we meet many trainers standing in one spot all the time, presumably they're just there on a hobby basis), and how you're able to use Poké Centers for free - your mom or the professor sponsor an unlimited-use subscription for you. You may even get corporate sponsors eventually - which enables your mother to stay at home all day: as your legal guardian, that money is also hers until you turn 18.

(And PokeMart Discount Theory)
I also go by the child prodigy theory. That said not to sure about some of the ideas you suggested:

Taken Out Of School: Honestly I kind of question exactly what the education system is like in the Pokemon World. It can't be like ours where kids are expected to attend school until they graduate high school and move onto a career or college. No, it seems like in the Pokemon World your taught the basic stuff at a young age and when you finally reach your teens more options open up. Now for the player it's going on a Pokemon journey, however besides that we don't actually see kids our age going to school. The most we see are apprenticeships or continuing a family business. Now there's obviously scientists and professors so there does seem like a route for higher education if someone wants to go down that route, but an education route doesn't look like the only option teens in the Pokemon world have.

Free Healing & Low Mart Costs: I don't want to get political here, but it feels like Pokemon world sort of has a loose form of a welfare state. All trainers have free healing for their Pokemon, Marts sell all the supplies they need at a low cost, and the Pokemon League (a possible branch of the government) funds them. Of course there has to be money making somewhere and I can only think of one way its done:
MERCHANDISING! Pokemon Training is super popular as well as activities connected to it (battling, Contests, Pokeathlon, Musicals, PokeStar Studio films, etc.). They air all that stuff on TV which makes people then want to go out and buy Pokemon merchandise. Of course you need Pokemon Trainers to be able to do any of this and, let's be honest, being a trainer isn't exactly a high paying job. So, in order to make money selling merchandise, they make healing free (and keep costs of being a trainer low) so that they can participate in activities that businesses can show and sell merchandise off of. And yes, you don't see a single cent of it, capitalism at its finest!

What About Mother: Not sure if your mother sees any money from this, even if their kid does become famous. In addition to being a prodigy, it also feels like the player is from a well off family. Your mother seemingly doesn't need to work, all of them appear to be house wives where your father is the breadwinner. Though the only games that show this is Gen III where your father is a Gym Leader. Maybe at most the Professor's Lab is giving your mother money since you're filling the Pokedex for them. Also after becoming a Champion you probably are given money making opportunities after the point the game ends that helps the player continue their Pokemon training career and support their family.

I like the theory floating around that RBY Giovanni is actually trying to save the world from Mewtwo.
Well, I would certainly agree it's plausible that Giovanni would be trying to get the Silph Scope and Master Ball all in an attempt to capture Mewtwo... but it wouldn't be for saving the world. It would be because it's a powerful Pokemon he'd have under his control and no one would be able to stand against him, something a crime lord would like to have. I'd question if he would try taking over the world... though we know at least of two versions of Giovanni who would (anime's and Rainbow Rocket's).

Also getting those two items serve additional purposes:

Silph Scope: Team Rocket were keeping Mr. Fuji hostage in the Pokemon Tower, and the only way to get up to them was using the Silph Scope to identify Marowak's Ghost and defeat it. But why is Team Rocket keeping him hostage? All we're told is that Mr. Fuji got angry they killed Marowak and went to give them a peace of his mind, but why wouldn't Team Rocket just push him back if that's all he did? And why seemingly go out of there way to prevent him from getting rescued? Well, we know Mr. Fuji is the lead scientist who created Mewtwo, so if Giovanni is looking for Mewtwo who better to "interrogate" then the one who created it? Mr. Fuji didn't tell you that part because he wants to keep Mewtwo's existence a secret.

Master Ball: A Poke Ball that captures any Pokemon 100%. Could you imagine the Pokemon force that someone could build up by just searching for rare and powerful Pokemon and catching them with no effort? Giovanni can, and he would have the resources needed to make more Master Balls and the manpower to send groups looking for rare and powerful Pokemon. Sure he'll have Mewtwo at his beck and call, but he's still just one man and he knows to get anything done you need an army of loyal servants and they'll need strong Pokemon to enforce your will.

I posted about this one years ago I believe, but I still enjoy it: I like to think that the reason so many of the Gen 5 mons evolve late is that it's a very subtle jab at American culture being rather conservative, with Unova being based on the US and all. That's probably not true, but it's fun to think about.
Actually it's because you catch those specific Pokemon so late in BW that those levels don't seem ridiculous there:

Vanillite (35 to Vanillish, 47 to Vanilluxe): Earliest you can catch a Vanillite is at Cold Storage at level 20-23. From there you need to wait 15 levels to evolve it to Vanillish and then 12 for Vanilluxe. This is about the same amount of levels for evolving your Starter.
Klink (38 to Klang, 49 to Klingklang): Earliest is Chargestone Cave at level 25-27. You need to wait 12 levels for Klang and then 11 for Klinklang. This is a shorter amount of levels for evolving your Starter.
Axew (38 to Fraxure, 49 to Haxorus): Earliest is at Mistralton Cave at level 30-31. You need to wait 8 levels for Fraxure and then 11 for Haxorus. This is a shorter amount of levels for evolving your Starter.
Deino (50 for Zweilous, 64 for Hydreigon): Earliest is at Victory Road at level 38-40. You need to wait 12 levels for Fraxure and then 14 for Haxorus. This is about the same amount of levels for evolving your Starter.
Mienfoo (50 for Meinshao): Earliest is Dragonspiral Tower at level 30-33. You need to wait 20 levels. That's the same amount of levels you need to wait for the rodent Pokemon like Ratatta to evolve.
Pawniard (52 for Bisharp): Earliest is Route 9 at level 31-34. You need to wait 21 levels. That's just a bit longer than you need for evolve the rodent Pokemon.
Rufflet & Vullaby (both evolve at level 54): Earliest is Route 10 at level 34-36. You need to wait 20 levels. Same amount of levels for rodent Pokemon.

ONLY exception to this is Larvesta who has a ridiculous 59 level wait and you get it as an Egg! However you can catch a Volcarona in Relic Castle that is level 70.

But yeah, they weren't making a jab at American culture of anything, they were actually being good game designers. HOWEVER they then went to being bad game designers by not re-adjusting the levels yet allowed you to get some of these Pokemon earlier thus making the waiting time feel long.

NEW THEORIES:
Emma Is A Member Of A Dragon Clan:
For those who don't remember Emma, she's the street urchin that Looker begins looking after in XY who later becomes Essentia. While we don't know her for long we do know a few things about her like she's physically strong (having beat up and became the unofficial leader of the Lumiose City street gang), is able to communicate well with Pokemon, and has a dark skin tone. These characteristics are very similar to two other characters: Iris and Zinnia. Physically strong (at least for Zinnia), communicates well with Pokemon, and are dark skinned. Both Iris and Zinnia are from a clan of people who raise Dragon-type Pokemon. So, it could be that Emma is maybe also from a Dragon Clan.

"Well, that really didn't go anywhere"

Yeah, it's a rather weak theory, especially since it's from another wild theory I had but was debunked upon doing research: Emma was Zinnia's daughter. Assuming ORAS's place didn't change in the timeline, Gen III and Gen VI are 10+ years apart. And being how big a f***-up that Zinnia is, maybe she had a child in a relationship that didn't work out and, not knowing what to do, abandoned the child and ran away. Would explain why so many of Emma's traits match Zinnia's. "So, what's wrong with the theory?". Well, as it turns out Emma is 16 in XY. The only way for this theory to work is that, immediately after the events in ORAS, she would have to go to Kalos and get knocked-up. And even then that's still an EXTREMELY tight range of time for all of that to happen. Had Emma been younger it might have been possible, but at age 16 I think it makes Emma too old for this to be a reasonable possibility.

Zinnia Was Going To Commit Suicide: Speaking of Zinnia, another one which I think we've pointed out before. Now there's been some other "this character committed suicide" theories like Giovanni in HGSS, however I feel there's some plausibility to this one. During the climax of the Delta Episode, we're chosen by Rayquaza to ride into space and destroy the meteor by Mega Evolving it. Luckily we had this spiffy high pressure suit (that also must have an oxygen supply) we can wear as we launch off into space. However, according to Zinnia's plans, it was supposed to be her that went with Rayquaza into space... and she DOESN'T have a spiffy high pressure suit.

Now, there are some workarounds to this, the most obvious one being Zinnia was planning on using the player's high pressure suit. But, considering how Zinnia was acting during her story about Aster... it does sound like Zinnia is suffering from depression or trauma and may very well have decided that in addition to saving the world she'll also give up her life so she could be with Aster once again. Luckily the player was chosen instead of her, sparing her life and letting her speak with her grandmother to get a new lease on life.

Rui Can Use Aura: Going to a happier note, a simple theory. Rui, the companion in the first Colosseum game, has the special ability to see the dark aura surrounding Shadow Pokemon. An odd power to have, until Gen IV introduced the concept of an Aura Guardian and the mystical power of aura. And this is something in the games as Riley's Platinum sprite does show him using aura. So, could it be that Rui may be able to use aura? She can already see aura like a Riolu can.

That's all for now.

But yeah, they weren't making a jab at American culture of anything, they were actually being good game designers. HOWEVER they then went to being bad game designers by not re-adjusting the levels yet allowed you to get some of these Pokemon earlier thus making the waiting time feel long.
I fully agree actually. My "theory" is more something that I find fun to think about rather than something that I think actually holds any merit.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Might I add some admittedly kinda stupid theories in?

1. While it might not be a direct Evolution, I do think that Unown could very well potentially have a secret connection to Sigilyph in Unova. They both live in or outside of ruins most of the time, they're both Psychic-Type, and part of Sigilyph's body has, in my opinion, always looked suspiciously similar to the "I" form of Unown.

2. I have many reasons to believe that the postgame of the first Pokemon Black & White games cannot possibly be considered canon. If I wanted to, I could probably make an entire forum for this theory ALONE.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Might I add some admittedly kinda stupid theories in?

1. While it might not be a direct Evolution, I do think that Unown could very well potentially have a secret connection to Sigilyph in Unova. They both live in or outside of ruins most of the time, they're both Psychic-Type, and part of Sigilyph's body has, in my opinion, always looked suspiciously similar to the "I" form of Unown.
1. There is something "artificial" feeling about Sigilyph. Their dex entries say they're guardians of an ancient city, flying robotically on a patrol route in the ruins of Desert Resort. Considering how strange the Unown are, maybe this ancient city found a way to "plug in" Unown into some kind of machine, controlling and amplifying the Unown which uses its power to keep it running. Is the head an Unown "I"? I kind of have my doubts on that for a few reasons: it's not correctly shaped, it's eye is blue, and it has more eyes on its body. Maybe the "I" head is actually an antenna is order for the Unown inside the body to communicate with other Unown, it being made into a shape of an Unown "I" just for decoration. Thinking about it, kind of makes them similar to the Golett family, infact...

NEW THEORY: Golett family & Sigilyph were ancient weapons of rival ancient civilizations. Think about where both are found in BW. Sigilyph is found in the Desert Resort and Golett is found in Dragonspiral Tower. Both of these were the original locations of the Light and Dark Stones that contain Reshiram and Zekrom. This means that the Desert Resort was a settlement (if not the kingdom) of one of the Heroic brothers while Dragonspiral Tower could have belonged to the other brother (The Abyssal Ruins believed to be the kingdom of that other brother). Now, while probably not at war with one another, both kingdoms were rivals and what better way to get your message across that you're right then by capturing of the other kingdom's dragon stone? So, both made a Pokemon to protect their respective dragon stone and where the stone is housed.
Sigilyph protected the dragon stone that was in its kingdom, that brother wanting to keep it near him. They used a more "natural" way to create Sigilph's body and then used an Unown as its power source (Unown likely to be in abundance as they like to gather where writing systems are). It's Flying-type gave it advantage over the Ground-type protectors of the other stone, in addition they could patrol the city much quicker (and what better Pokemon to attack a tower then one that can fly?).
The Golett family protected the dragon stone that was in the tower, that brother wanting to keep the stone away from his kingdom just in case his brother attacked. They used a more artificial way to create Golett's family, using supernatural energy to give it motion. Not sure why its a two stage evolution, could be that Golett are worker & grunt units (maintaining the Tower since it was so far away from the kingdom and they didn't want to send workers that long distances) while Golurk are admin & guard units. Eitherway, their Ghost-type energy is useful against those Psychic-type protectors of the other stone, and for added protection to the tower they made it so Golurk could fly (and what better Pokemon to attack a kingdom in a desert with underground structures than one that can swoop in and cause earthquakes?).
Stats wise they're also sort of counterparts, Sigilyph being a faster Special attacker while Golurk being a slow Physical attacker (and both have the same Defense and Special Defense).

2. I have many reasons to believe that the postgame of the first Pokemon Black & White games cannot possibly be considered canon. If I wanted to, I could probably make an entire forum for this theory ALONE.
Well can you list some here? Because I can only think of the major one: catching the Swords of Justice & Kyurem. Obviously that couldn't have happened because the Swords of Justice come to the B2W2 player for their assistance and Kyurem has been captured and being used by Team Neo Plasma.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
1. There is something "artificial" feeling about Sigilyph. Their dex entries say they're guardians of an ancient city, flying robotically on a patrol route in the ruins of Desert Resort. Considering how strange the Unown are, maybe this ancient city found a way to "plug in" Unown into some kind of machine, controlling and amplifying the Unown which uses its power to keep it running. Is the head an Unown "I"? I kind of have my doubts on that for a few reasons: it's not correctly shaped, it's eye is blue, and it has more eyes on its body. Maybe the "I" head is actually an antenna is order for the Unown inside the body to communicate with other Unown, it being made into a shape of an Unown "I" just for decoration. Thinking about it, kind of makes them similar to the Golett family, infact...

NEW THEORY: Golett family & Sigilyph were ancient weapons of rival ancient civilizations. Think about where both are found in BW. Sigilyph is found in the Desert Resort and Golett is found in Dragonspiral Tower. Both of these were the original locations of the Light and Dark Stones that contain Reshiram and Zekrom. This means that the Desert Resort was a settlement (if not the kingdom) of one of the Heroic brothers while Dragonspiral Tower could have belonged to the other brother (The Abyssal Ruins believed to be the kingdom of that other brother). Now, while probably not at war with one another, both kingdoms were rivals and what better way to get your message across that you're right then by capturing of the other kingdom's dragon stone? So, both made a Pokemon to protect their respective dragon stone and where the stone is housed.
Sigilyph protected the dragon stone that was in its kingdom, that brother wanting to keep it near him. They used a more "natural" way to create Sigilph's body and then used an Unown as its power source (Unown likely to be in abundance as they like to gather where writing systems are). It's Flying-type gave it advantage over the Ground-type protectors of the other stone, in addition they could patrol the city much quicker (and what better Pokemon to attack a tower then one that can fly?).
The Golett family protected the dragon stone that was in the tower, that brother wanting to keep the stone away from his kingdom just in case his brother attacked. They used a more artificial way to create Golett's family, using supernatural energy to give it motion. Not sure why its a two stage evolution, could be that Golett are worker & grunt units while Golurk are admin & guard units. Eitherway, their Ghost-type energy is useful against those Psychic-type protectors of the other stone, and for added protection to the tower they made it so Golurk could fly (and what better Pokemon to attack a kingdom in a desert with underground structures than one that can swoop in and cause earthquakes?).
Stats wise they're also sort of counterparts, Sigilyph being a faster Special attacker while Golurk being a slow Physical attacker (and both have the same Defense and Special Defense).

Well can you list some here? Because I can only think of the major one: catching the Swords of Justice & Kyurem. Obviously that couldn't have happened because the Swords of Justice come to the B2W2 player for their assistance and Kyurem has been captured and being used by Team Neo Plasma.
First off, might I just say that your version of the Unown/Sigilyph theory is just...incredible? You put a lot of work into that, and it's not every day when I fully believe something like that.

For the BW canonical issues theory, I was also thinking that, aside from the Legendary Pokemon, a few things just didn't seem right. For one, I have a very hard time believing it only took 2 years to fully build the Black Tower/White Treehollow. Making a facilitylike that would take at least half a decade, especially if done from scratch. Second, it doesn't explain how a person in BW1 could go to postgame areas like the Abyssal Ruins to collect items, only for all of them to be in the exact same spots for the person in BW2 to pick up, as if the guy from BW1 didn't exist.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
First off, might I just say that your version of the Unown/Sigilyph theory is just...incredible? You put a lot of work into that, and it's not every day when I fully believe something like that.

For the BW canonical issues theory, I was also thinking that, aside from the Legendary Pokemon, a few things just didn't seem right. For one, I have a very hard time believing it only took 2 years to fully build the Black Tower/White Treehollow. Making a facilitylike that would take at least half a decade, especially if done from scratch. Second, it doesn't explain how a person in BW1 could go to postgame areas like the Abyssal Ruins to collect items, only for all of them to be in the exact same spots for the person in BW2 to pick up, as if the guy from BW1 didn't exist.
Thank you! :D You brought up the initial theory and from there I just used it as a springboard. Though I did edit a small detail about the theory: that the Golett's probably served as a maintenance crew for the tower as it was far away from the kingdom they didn't want to send workers that far of a distance. :)

Black Tower I can believe people can build in two years if they have enough money (and I believe that is the lore of Black City, there is a group of rich and powerful people who made and run it for for what exact purpose who knows). But you have a point about White Treehollow, it would take centuries alone for the tree to grow that big. My only explanation to that is the easy excuse: Pokemon. They brought in a ton of Grass-types, told them to do their thing to a tree they just planted, and thus in a very short amount of time they had themselves a gigantic tree they then hollowed out and made a battle facility inside of.

But, yeah, you're completely right about the Abbysal Ruins. Had BW post game happened then it should be empty, but it's once again filled with the Plates and treasures. Thinking about it, what would have been neat is if they kept the top part of the ruins empty (maybe throwing in some "natural" occurring items like Heart Scales and Pearls to make exploring up there not completely worthless), but thanks to Zinzolin doing research on it discovered there's a whole basement area to explore which would have another set of the relic treasures, plates, and more lore to discover.

That all said, I'm alright them saying stuff like BW1 hero not catching the other Legendaries or having explored a certain area if they expand those Legendaries roles and lore of the location in the sequel which BW2 did to an extent (admittedly how they involved the Swords of Justice was kind of lazy, them just standing in obvious spots because they're trying to warn the player something is up). Like the impact of Red/Green had in the HGSS games, the BW1 player had an important impact on the BW2 story so we know they exist but maybe what they did after was a bit exaggerated. :P

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

The Golett family protected the dragon stone that was in the tower, that brother wanting to keep the stone away from his kingdom just in case his brother attacked. They used a more artificial way to create Golett's family, using supernatural energy to give it motion. Not sure why its a two stage evolution, could be that Golett are worker & grunt units (maintaining the Tower since it was so far away from the kingdom and they didn't want to send workers that long distances) while Golurk are admin & guard units. Eitherway, their Ghost-type energy is useful against those Psychic-type protectors of the other stone, and for added protection to the tower they made it so Golurk could fly (and what better Pokemon to attack a kingdom in a desert with underground structures than one that can swoop in and cause earthquakes?).

My only concern with this theory is that Brother 1 "built" a Flying-type Pokémon to get the edge on the opposing team's Ground-type Pokémon, but that exact Pokémon was "built" to counter said Flying-type Pokémon already?
Something's not right there.

My addition to that theory though: Golett was supposed to be the only member of its evolutionary line, but seeing how they needed more firepower (maybe Sigilyphs were more of a threat than they thought), Brother 2 and his people tried to pump them up with spiritual energy (think of it as a supernatural super soldier program or something), resulting in a Pokémon much stronger than before, but also much more unstable.
Thus, they created Golurk, with higher stats and the ability to FLY (to intercept Sigilyph flying to the tower?), but they were forced to limit its power with a magical seal. They kept that as a last-ditch measure in case they would be forced to sacrifice Golurks to protect their treasure or people, seeing how that seal doesn't look super safe to me.

No idea how Golett can evolve into Golurk though. Maybe by absorbing spiritual energy around?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
My only concern with this theory is that Brother 1 "built" a Flying-type Pokémon to get the edge on the opposing team's Ground-type Pokémon, but that exact Pokémon was "built" to counter said Flying-type Pokémon already?
Something's not right there.

My addition to that theory though: Golett was supposed to be the only member of its evolutionary line, but seeing how they needed more firepower (maybe Sigilyphs were more of a threat than they thought), Brother 2 and his people tried to pump them up with spiritual energy (think of it as a supernatural super soldier program or something), resulting in a Pokémon much stronger than before, but also much more unstable.
Thus, they created Golurk, with higher stats and the ability to FLY (to intercept Sigilyph flying to the tower?), but they were forced to limit its power with a magical seal. They kept that as a last-ditch measure in case they would be forced to sacrifice Golurks to protect their treasure or people, seeing how that seal doesn't look super safe to me.

No idea how Golett can evolve into Golurk though. Maybe by absorbing spiritual energy around?
I would imagine they were built around the same time and there was additional factors to their construction. Sigilyph was built as protectors of an entire kingdom, they needed to be able to move around fast. Golett family were built to protect a single tower and operated mostly inside the tower, so flying wasn't really needed. Also with the Ghost-typing the Golett family did have an advantage over the Sigilyph, and when they made Golurk able to fly that got rid of the concern of needing them to get up close (which they wouldn't need, if the Sigilyph were attacking the tower they would be the ones that need to get up close, the Golurk just had to stand their ground and wait for the opponent to get into punching distance).

Yeah, I imagine the evolution is due to them pumping more ghost energy into it. If you'll notice Golett's flowing bits look intentionally designed while Golurk has a big ol' growing crack they did a sloppy job sealing up with just one obvious "this is my weak spot" band. Golett probably absorbs/creates more clay in order to grow bigger but even then the ghost energy is seeping out.

Small one, but, here we go. I know some people might find it a bit confusing why Lysandre uses a Gyarados as his ace. I believe it's because both are harbingers of destruction. Gyarados is Gyarados and is known for its violent and destructive tendencies. Lysandre wants to destroy most humans and all Pokemon. So yeah, they fit each other in that regard. I could be wrong though, speaking that X and Y are some of the least thought out games in the franchise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)