Metagame Megamons

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Approved by The Immortal & Ransei
Art by Pent
Previous Iterations by Halliday & Whydon

Welcome to Megamons! Megamons is a Ubers-based metagame where Mega Evolutions can be used without Mega Stones, and with any item you'd like! The limit on how many Mega Evolutions you can have per team is also removed! Here's an example of what I mean. There are many possibilities that make this metagame enjoyable and entertaining. Firium Z Drought Mega Charizard Y? You got it! Choice Band Aerilate Mega Salamence? Go ahead! Colbur Berry Shell Armor Mega Slowbro? I mean that's gross, but you can do that too!​

Rules:
Mechanic:
Mega Evolutions can be used directly, without Mega Stones, hence being treated like regular Pokemon. The limit on the number of Mega Evolutions is also removed, meaning you can have up to six Mega Evolutions per team.
Clauses: Standard Ubers Clauses.
Bans: Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, Mega Mewtwo Y (these Pokémon can still be used with the base form and their respective Mega Stone).

Strategy:

Many physical attackers gain a substantial increase from the ability to hold an item. Mega Salamence appreciates being able to boost its power level to insane amounts with a Choice Band or Life Orb. Mega Mewtwo X is able to bust out insanely powerful Life Orb Low Kicks due to the average weight of the metagame being quite high. Adaptability Mega Lucario has many viable options that can be painful for opposing teams. You can boost overall power with a Life Orb, you can fire off a monstrous attack with Fightinium Z or Steelium Z you can even possibly run a Darkinium Z or Electrium Z set to get around Mega Slowbro. The choice is yours.

Special attackers also get boosted significantly. Life Orb or Choice Specs boosted Mega Alakazam is great, especially with the ability to pair it with Psychic Terrain and other Psychic-types. Mega Latios isn't as potent as it was last gen, with the inability to gain Gen 6's amazing Soul Dew boost of 1.5x to both special stats; however, it can still pack a solid punch. Mega Charizard Y has the ability to fire off insanely powerful Firium Z nukes, or alternatively run a Choice item, a Life Orb, an alternate Z-Crystal, the options are there for anyone who wants to try them.

Major threats in the Ubers metagame are still potent here. Primal Groudon doesn't face any new competition, as it's still the behemoth it always was. Ultra Necrozma can break through many offensive threats still, without many new answers. Geomancy Xerneas is still a great Pokemon even with the inclusion of Assault Vest Mega Mawile, Mega Metagross and new powerful Fire-types. Many Ubers Pokemon are still great in this metagame.

Somewhat surprisingly, Stall still manages to find its way into being a prominent playstyle within Megamons. Mega Slowbro can afford to run a Colbur Berry or Leftovers, to aid its longevity. Mega Tyranitar can run an Assault Vest, boosting its Special Defense to very impressive levels (404/837 special bulk on switch-in!). Blissey, Lugia, Giratina and other common Stall-threats in Ubers are still plenty viable here, given the right team members to support them.

FAQ:
Q:
Can you put a Mega Stone on a Mega Evolution to Mega Evolve again (e.g. Giving a Mega Medicham Medichamite so that it can Mega Evolve again)?
A: No, you cannot.

Q: Can you Knock Off items attached to Mega Evolutions?
A: Yes! As long as it's an item that could regularly be removed via Knock Off.

Q: Are Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre allowed?
A: They are permitted in their regular Uber forme, holding Red Orb or Blue Orb respectively; however, they are not allowed to be sent out with alternate items.

Q: Can I use Ultra Necrozma directly, without the need for Dusk Mane or Dawn Wings in addition to Ultranecrozium Z?
A: As Ultra Necrozma is not a Mega Evolution, no. You still need to Ultra Burst with one of the two base Necrozma formes.

Resources:
XY Thread
ORAS Thread

Megamons is currently playable on Dragon Heaven!
This format is playable in Custom Game as well.

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
With the inclusion of Z-Moves this generation, many Pokemon are able to run interesting new sets to get around previous checks and counters. I'll share a few just to start some discussion.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick

This set can come in on many special attackers quite easily, boost once and proceed to sweep a lot of the time. At +1 it outpaces the majority of the metagame bar outliers like Mega Beedrill and Mega Aerodactyl. Rockium Z Mega Tyranitar Z-Stone Edge breaks past Primal Groudon at +1 with very minimal chip. The fact that most Mega Tyranitars are slow bulky momentum drains helps it a lot also, as it usually catches the opponent off guard.

Example of this in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-851684063

Lucario-Mega @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Credit to jrdn for this set. +2 Z-Focus Blast OHKOs Mega Slowbro, arguably Mega Lucario's best check, with ease. It's also very powerful in general but so is every Mega Lucario set so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Potent special walls like Mega Tyranitar and Chansey don't appreciate it much either. Not much switches in on this, but enough so that it isn't necessarily broken or overwhelming.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852068818

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Glad this metagame is backkkkk! Whats not to love when you can use the broken ass mega formes with little repercussion. Anyways , stall is as prevalent as ever in this meta just as it was last generation (although rip Soul Dew Latias). I wanted to share a squad I have been having fun with after some games.

<- click click

Premise of team is pretty simple. Spam status moves and then take out threats with Hex Mega Gengar. I really appreciate stall in this format due to the presence of premier threats such as Mega Slowbro and Mega Tyranitar that can really cover the majority of the metagame on their own which is really nice. Even when the tier is littered with powerful mons such as Mega Salamence, Mega Mewtwo-X, Mega Lucario, and standard Uber stuff like Primal Groudon, Ultra Necrozma, and big bad Xerneas, these two mons can cover both sides of the offensive spectrum pretty sufficiently. Chansey is chansey and is still the best cleric (don't use Mega Audino). Ho-Oh helps check the super scary Mega Lucario which can be a pain for any defensive team due to the presence of setup + Z-Moves, while GroundCeus provides a secondary means in covering Mega Luc + other stuff like Primal Groudon, Mega Blaziken, Mega Tyranitar, and Necrozma-DM. Gar is busted even without an item due to its lovely ability.

A few replays demonstrating squad:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852084489
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852070157

Other threats I would like to highlight are Mega Diancie and Mega Beedrill which I can both see put in a lot of work!

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Blaziken-Mega @ Rockium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

its just ur standared uber set but i added in rockium because at +2 it allows u to ohko shit like mlati, do a solid 70 to mbro and gira + just shits common flying types that would otherwise bother it such as hooh

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Man this meta looks fun!
Here's a set that I used a little bit, no clue if it's good:
Blaziken-Mega @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Mirror Move
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Z-Mirror Move is strong.
I submitted a pull request to Dragon Heaven which should fix the banlist if it is accepted.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
really fun meta so far, mmence is broke pls ban i dont wanna use celesteela or maggron on every team thx
beedrill-mega.gif

Beedrill-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
Mega Bee is a fun mon ive been using, with a great speed tier (145) and strong STABs and coverage boosted by Adaptability and/or Choice Band, Mega Bee can 2HKO almost the entire tier, bar defensive Groudon-Primal, post Power Construct Zygarde-C, Mega Scizor and Arceus Steel/Ghost. It is really frail so it cant come in that easy, but it's a great revenge killer, breaker and pivot.

Adding on what Chloe mentions with good setup mega Pokémon, I wanted to share another mega that can do well in the metagame which would be great to use in matchups.

8410F17E-700B-4245-B847-AEE353AA1C69.gif

Alakazam @ Psychium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

With the inclusion of Z-Moves this generation, many Pokemon are able to run interesting new sets to get around previous checks and counters. I'll share a few just to start some discussion.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick

This set can come in on many special attackers quite easily, boost once and proceed to sweep a lot of the time. At +1 it outpaces the majority of the metagame bar outliers like Mega Beedrill and Mega Aerodactyl. Rockium Z Mega Tyranitar Z-Stone Edge breaks past Primal Groudon at +1 with very minimal chip. The fact that most Mega Tyranitars are slow bulky momentum drains helps it a lot also, as it usually catches the opponent off guard.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-851684063

Lucario-Mega @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Credit to jrdn for this set. +2 Z-Focus Blast OHKOs Mega Slowbro, arguably Mega Lucario's best check, with ease. It's also very powerful in general but so is every Mega Lucario set so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Potent special walls like Mega Tyranitar and Chansey don't appreciate it much either. Not much switches in on this, but enough so that it isn't necessarily broken or overwhelming.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852068818
I would maybe consider a physical version with bullet punch and swords dance too no? (for a prio without any immunities)

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I would maybe consider a physical version with bullet punch and swords dance too no? (for a prio without any immunities)
Yes, that is standard Mega Lucario. I was stating another set that would be able to overcome the set you mentioned's biggest check.

Blaziken-Mega @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Mirror Move
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Z-Mirror Move is strong.
This puts in so much work. People are so unprepared for it. The ability to deal with Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence when they think they've forced a switch is just incredible. Mega Blaziken in general is insanely good and quite unpredictable.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852103826
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-852101930

Would it be fair to unban Mega-Rayquaza? It's going to be good, but since every mega can hold an item, I don't think it would be as overwhelming as it is in modern Ubers.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Would it be fair to unban Mega-Rayquaza? It's going to be good, but since every mega can hold an item, I don't think it would be as overwhelming as it is in modern Ubers.
This was initially something I was considering; however, I decided on leaving it as a potential unban in the future. I don't think it would be too excessive given the presence and substantial buff of Mega Salamence, but given the presence of V-create, Delta Stream on switch-in, and ability for this Pokémon to literally nuke anything with the right coverage and potentially a Z-move, I have been questioning whether or not it would be too much for the metagame. I'd definitely like to test it at some point though.

Last edited:
Q: Can you put a Mega Stone on a Mega Evolution to Mega Evolve again (e.g. Giving a Mega Medicham Medichamite so that it can Mega Evolve again)?
A: No, you cannot.
I'm probably getting this wrong, but in BH, you can evolve Mega Mewtwo X, into Mega Mewtwo Y, and vise versa, with the same idea applying to the Charizard Megas, so is that a feature here as well, or is it a complete no?

Also, would a Mega Charzard X with Z-Celebrate or just a regular DD set be an interesting pick for a late game sweeper? It does get Thunder Punch for Kyogre, should the problem arise, however still somewhat blocked by Primal Groundon and it's huge base 160 Defense stat.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I'm probably getting this wrong, but in BH, you can evolve Mega Mewtwo X, into Mega Mewtwo Y, and vise versa, with the same idea applying to the Charizard Megas, so is that a feature here as well, or is it a complete no?
This does make sense to an extent but I'm not completely sure honestly. For the sake of consistency I want to say no but I'd leave it up to whatever coders think. I feel like regardless it's a waste of an item the majority of the time unless you want like sun boosted seemingly itemless Char-X which still doesn't compete with other physical breakers.

Also, would a Mega Charzard X with Z-Celebrate or just a regular DD set be an interesting pick for a late game sweeper? It does get Thunder Punch for Kyogre, should the problem arise, however still somewhat blocked by Primal Groundon and it's huge base 160 Defense stat.
Might be interesting but I still see Mega Charizard X as an inferior physical sweeper to DD LO MegaMence and other potent threats.

YEAH THIS EXIST!!!!!!!!

RIP gen 6 Mega Lati@s. You won’t be missed.

Anyway. With the inclusion of Z-moves and no more x1.5 SpDef Soul Dew Mega Latias, we’d have a much harder time stalling in this meta.

So MMX is now allowed in this meta without Mega stone. Here’s what I think off.

Burst mode (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Fightinium-Z
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (idk best spread)
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch / Zen Headbutt / Grass Knot

This provides the best coverage vs most other mons. I think this will work due to MMX’s good defensive spread and amazing initial Attack and Speed. Electrium-Z is chosen for Mega Slowbro if you choose Thunder Punch, though idk how much will it do. If it doesn’t do enough, Grass Knot is probably preferable. Zen Headbutt is if you prefer dual STABs

I wanted to join this, especially since I saw this as an OM before. But to make sure I'm not one-lining this, I made something.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Psychium Z
Ability: Unnerve
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Filler / Coverage

If it isn't obvious, the point is to get a nice switch-in, then use Z-Trick. This helps Mewtwo O.K. Speed by added 2 stages of it. With this, he could outspeed and possibly kill most of the meta. Now I think of it, don't the Mewtwo Megas have the same BST as Mega Ray?
Now, I can't calc that right now since I'm at school, but I have a feeling someone is going to make a better set somehow. The only changes I can see is just a better moveset. Which I can't control since I don't extensively play normal Ubers.
But, uhhh, hope my contribution is enough.

Let's hope we get OMotM.

I wanted to join this, especially since I saw this as an OM before. But to make sure I'm not one-lining this, I made something.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Psychium Z
Ability: Unnerve
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Filler / Coverage

If it isn't obvious, the point is to get a nice switch-in, then use Z-Trick. This helps Mewtwo O.K. Speed by added 2 stages of it. With this, he could outspeed and possibly kill most of the meta. Now I think of it, don't the Mewtwo Megas have the same BST as Mega Ray?
Now, I can't calc that right now since I'm at school, but I have a feeling someone is going to make a better set somehow. The only changes I can see is just a better moveset. Which I can't control since I don't extensively play normal Ubers.
But, uhhh, hope my contribution is enough.

Let's hope we get OMotM.
Any reason why you aren't just using Agility instead of Z Trick? You would get more opportunities to set up, and free yourself to use a more useful item

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
Greetings, 5-trillion IQ OM players. I come in peace and bearing teambuilding gifts! I’ll take a closer look at all the megas and whip up some potential spicy sets, but for now I’ll start with a theorycraft of my favourite mega.

Lopunny-Mega @ Normalium Z
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Splash
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

The LC buneary set, but given a whole lot of upgrades. This set can threaten just about every team archetype. Whether it’s being able to use +3 STAB priority to clean up HO, using +3 unresisted dual stab to setup wallbreak, or nuking something with a breakneck blitz for a teammate, there’s a lot of options to circumvent Lopunny’s previous archetype matchup issues in standard OU play.

Why use this over extreme killer arceus? Well you have unresisted dual STAB and higher speed/atk, and your priority isn’t stopped by marshadow courtesy of scrappy. It is also capable of nuking the opposition outright at +0 which ekiller arceus isn’t really capable of.

Now I haven’t playtested this metagame yet so it’s purely theorycrafting, but I will give it a try! I really hope this gets OMoTM :]

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Mewtwo X has honestly been nothing but overbearing in my few games of the meta.

Its attack is over the top, already heavily restricting its answers, but stuff like Mega Slowbro get OHKOed by tbolt after any chip whatsoever, bulky mence doesn't work too well because of Ice Beam, etc. The only "consistent" answer is Mega Sableye, but mandating Mega Sableye on every team is not what a healthy metagame should be doing.

Offensively pressuring it works fine if you're using Scarf MegaMence and/or CB Mega Beedrill, but those are very specific Pokemon. Sure, Mega Aggron can take a hit, but is it doing much back? Mega Mewtwo X is also pretty bulky.

It may be a little early to call for a suspect, but I think it along w/ mmence should be the first things on the radar.

Oh they already have z mirror move mk

Lmk when someone notices that all of the Gen 1 starts have celebrate. And Mega Venusaur looks nasty with +1 all stats and with synthesis + thick fat.
Also Z-celebate M-Blastoise Looks decently scary when fast Oh and since when did someone have a boosted spa + speed on Char Y. Yep nice.

Lmk when people decide to ban celebrate and happy hour.

Why has no one used defensive MMX yet? It looks fun. Give leftys or something xd

Scarf Mchompy looks cute as well

Z-Celebrate Mega Gyar still looks the best to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)