Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

The metagame discussion thread should be fine to discuss techs like that; I don't think it's necessary to make a separate thread for that. Furthermore, if you REALLY want to showcase a set, the underrated sets thread is still fine. In regards to having to provide replays, I feel like this is a good rule because there's no reason to showcase and discuss a set if you have no way to prove that its actually worth it.
Cool, as long as it's fine. Thanks

You don't want to use the logic of "broken checks broken." This creates not a broken meta, but rather an unhealthy meta. Some metas require you to run x mon so you don't lose to y mon, but imagine having to run the same three or four Pokemon on a team so you don't autolose at best. In the event that we did free all the "UUbers", there would be certain matchups you just couldn't win because you didn't use the same six Pokemon (this could be an exaggeration but I'm sure you understand the point). Even though Smogon aims to make every Pokemon viable in some way, there are always going to be unviable Pokemon, no matter how much we try to change the policy. It's just how metagames work.
But ultimately every meta is broken checking broken, just at a critical mass sufficient to form a varied meta. If you dropped, say, Tapu Koko into UU it would probably be broken, but it’s not broken in OU because there’s enough things that are strong enough to check/counter it. We avoid broken checking broken if it’s just a few mons that check each other in a circle and therefore restrict teambuilding, but I believe the argument is that there’s enough things in Ubers now that we could drop a whole bunch at once and basically create a new OU centered around a higher average power level.

I generally agree with this in theory, but I think the issue is that there are way more offensive threats than defensive that get banned to Ubers, so I’m not confident there’s a way to drop enough mons and have them balance each other out. The meta would probably still push towards HO builds and centralize as a result.

Edit: there was some additional discussion of this in the now-closed Ubers tiering policy discussion thread.

Last edited:
What are some good HO staples?

The only ones I know are serp, lucha, ash-gren, and screens koko
well, i wouldnt say tapu lele is a ho staple but...

my opinion is that cm and taunt sets are underrated in ho that uses webs or webless sash lead drill/landot ho. items like life orb, mind plate and psy/fight z can be really good, but i think life orb/mind plate better as tapu lele is already extremely powerful even with life orb/mind plate and the z can be put onto something else. (dont think specs lele is ideal on ho)

it has some really nice qualities that it can anti lead lopunny/medicham and can be used as a lead in general instead of the sash drill/landot the opponent expects to mess their gameplan up. also, in general lele is not that easy to threaten an ohko so it can sit in on stuff and fire attacks off vs something like specs battle bond gren, lefties landot and above mentioned lopunny and medicham. also situations of lele vs koko, u can almost gurantee the opponent will go for something like a volt switch/uturn if they pack uturn instead of staying to thunderbolt unless they pack z thunderbolt/wild charge or lele is weakened already coz its not going to beat tapu lele 1v1 otherwise unless they want to throw koko out! and with that said, u can act accordingly like perhaps send ur ground type like excadrill on their face :D

lastly, just want to say i think tapu lele 1 of the scariest mons to face if u dont know its set. can stay trying to get rid of it with something like ur z landot but then it ohkos u instead with a life orb/specs psychic.

What are some good HO staples?

The only ones I know are serp, lucha, ash-gren, and screens koko
Excadrill is likely the best Suicide Lead HO has (Mold Breaker let's it setup rocks against Magic Bounce users), with Sash Protean Gren being a close second (Taunt). Sash Landorus-T is the third option, since is almost garanteed that it will blow up something before dying with a 2+ Explosion and/or setting up rocks beforehand.
Blacephalon is a good special attacker with excellent matchups against both offensive & defensive teams, as long it can find opportunities to set up. Magearna is another good option, thanks to it's Shift Gear set (amazing late-game cleaner). Meanwhile, on the physical part of the spectrum, Kommo-o also finds itself in Hyper Offense teams with it's Belly Drum set (Kommonium Z is also seen sometimes). However, the best physical attacker imo is Gyarados-M, who also excells in the stall matchup thanks to Taunt and Mold Breaker (which ignores Unaware).

Last edited:
Thoughts on groudium z lando-t?

Its one of the best meme sets I've used
I don't know if I'd REALLY call it a meme set, but it's a little outclassed. Rockium and Flyinium sets hit a lot more extremely important stuff, but Groundium hits hard AF in general so I guess it MIGHT have some uses? Honestly, it's Lando-T: run anything that isn't too wack on it and it's probably going to do something just because your opponent will keep on guessing what in God's name your Lando-T set is in the first place.

...don't take that as an endorsement to run Specs or Buginium Z Lando-T though.

I know I've already asked this question, but what exactly is considered to be good speed control in teams?

Do you have to have a scarfer in every team or can you just have strong prio users and a really fast mon like m-zam

I know I've already asked this question, but what exactly is considered to be good speed control in teams?

Do you have to have a scarfer in every team or can you just have strong prio users and a really fast mon like m-zam
My definition of speed control would be Scarfers (not magnezone), Paralysis (twave, glare), priority, and sticky web. Usually you want these in every team aside from stall, since you want speed control on any offensive or balance team

E: I got sniped

Felixx

I'm back.
Do you lose more than you gain running Modest on specs Blacephalon (84% chance to 2HKO pex after rocks)?
Preserving your base 107 speed is important, as w/ a Modest nature Blace can't outspeed threats like Garchomp, Tapu Lele, KB, Kyurem, M-Medi, M-Pinsir, Zard-X and Y, Volc, and Victini.

Just Sp. Def drop Pex w/ Shadow Ball lol.

why is phydef RH tang is becoming a thing? (*AGAIN* ik it was a popular set back in ORAS OU but the meta was way different)

Like what exactly does it wall?

edit: You know, I should really think about my posts before I send them
:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)