Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Yes it does, so if an Iapapa berry Rotom-W gets hit by Stealth Rock at a low amount of HP the berry can save it from getting KOed by an attack as it switches in
That's good to know. Never really used those berries but I've been wanting to make a set with one.

How exactly do you build HO teams?

I tried to make one multiple times, but I've always ended up having them be very weak to certain threats
:pikuh:
I wrote a guide and posted it for personal / public reference in the Metagame Discussion thread on page 23, post # 553. That was back in July iirc so it's somewhat outdated, mostly because 90+ % of my HO teams used Zygarde, rip. Zygarde's ban is pretty detrimental to HO since it was such a great option for teams. The general framework is still accurate.

What’s a good EV spread for a Bold Toxapex. The one on the strategy dex (252 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD) doesn’t explain what it’s for specifically.

What’s a good EV spread for a Bold Toxapex. The one on the strategy dex (252 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD) doesn’t explain what it’s for specifically.
That spread tends to be able to pivot into support/AV TTar and standard Mega Lopunny with ease since the amount of bulk it runs allows it to pretty frequently avoid 3HKOs from those mons and Toxapex has so much bulk alongside its access to recovery for days that if you can't cleanly 2HKO it at worst you're likely forced to switch out and that allows Pex to stack up some Toxic Spikes.

I remember it being relatively common before but I'm not too sure how common it is now, but it's sometimes worth running a tiny bit of speed investment on Pex (as long as you're not compromising its bulk) so you can outspeed other Pex variants or other slow stuff. Basically, its EVs are pretty flexible as long as you run enough calcs to know precisely what can and cannot 2HKO your Pex with a given spread.

I couldn't find out what the investment did specifically so I changed the Bold Toxapex spread to the following: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD. 80 Special Defense avoids an OHKO from Mega Alakazam's Psychic from full. It should be noted that if you're running such a heavily biased physically defensive spread that you will need a sturdier Ash-Greninja check.

I remember it being relatively common before but I'm not too sure how common it is now, but it's sometimes worth running a tiny bit of speed investment on Pex (as long as you're not compromising its bulk) so you can outspeed other Pex variants or other slow stuff.
You run Speed investment specifically to Speed creep Reuniclus on teams that are weak to it. I've seen people run 24-48 Speed EVs on Toxapex for Reuniclus.

edit: Apparently 64 Special Defense EVs affected some Gengar calcs.

Last edited:
I've been looking at older ou analyses of gen 7. Back when talonflame was ranked, how come it was used as a breaker with that measly 81 base attack instead of a revenge killer? How was it even ranked? What was its downfall?

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking at older ou analyses of gen 7. Back when talonflame was ranked, how come it was used as a breaker with that measly 81 base attack instead of a revenge killer? How was it even ranked? What was its downfall?
190 BP Priority STAB off of Flyinium Z made up for its 81 base Attack. Very few teams at the time were well equipped to handle it, and it saw success on a few HO builds because of this. However, it really only fit on extremely specific and constricting builds, so this led to a distinct lack of usage in OU and its unranking.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)