Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Since it's been like 20 days since the Zygarde ban, the meta's still fairly fresh. Though I was wondering, what are some current Pokémon that seem more viable or less viable since the departure of the snake?
The biggest things I've been seeing are a surge in Heatran, Tapu Bulu, Rotom-W, Celesteela, and Toxapex. Heatran runs rampant now that its best check is gone, and it's best partner Tapu Bulu has one less thing it has to check and can be more reliably switched into Ash-Gren and Lando-T. Rotom-W and Celesteela are great now because their Ground immunity actually means something again. Toxapex naturally compliments Celesteela, as well as stall which doesn't have to worry about how to break through defensive Zyggy anymore. Toxic Spikes I feel aren't as good now because of the popularity of ground immunities again, as well as Pex everywhere to absorb them.

A sleeper threat I see is Charizard X. The DD+FBlitz+EQ+Roost set takes advantage of the BuluTran surge, and fairly reliably takes on much of the top-used mons besides LandoT (which it does outspeed at +1, but Intimidate sucks). That's just my quick thoughts on what I've been seeing about.

Since it's been like 20 days since the Zygarde ban, the meta's still fairly fresh. Though I was wondering, what are some current Pokémon that seem more viable or less viable since the departure of the snake?
I hope you liked Heatran when it was the best mon in the tier, because it's an even bigger threat now and its best teammate in Bulu just got a whole lot better too. Celesteela also got a bit better and I'd argue that makes Magnezone a bit better too since Magnezone was always good at trapping Steels but that niche was a bit less pronounced when it meant that you'd give Zygarde a free turn if it existed.

In terms of less viable, I'm only really finding a lot of Veil/Screens stuff besides Koko+Hawlucha (since Koko got better post-Zygarde) being extremely hard to use without Zygarde. I guess Tangrowth got a little less viable but I'm still throwing that thing on a bunch of my teams because it's still awesome against Ash-Gren.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
When is the next ou vr slate expected to be up? I thought one would be published after week 1 of spl no?
Please do not ask or suggest the VR should be unlocked.

Not only is it annoying, as stated in the VR and by Finch here the meta needs time to develop a little bit with Zygarde's absence. We just completed a week of SPL and OST hasn't really taken off just yet.

Just be patient and, once the VR council feels ready, it will be unlocked.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Has OU changed? Been away for 3 weeks
It has changed sightly in terms of usage due to Zygarde's ban; for example, Pokemon that had trouble against Zygarde like Heatran and Rotom-W have been seeing more usage. Bulkier Pokemon such as Celesteela and Toxapex also got a nice buff with Zygarde gone.

This isn't all of it, obviously, just some main points.

Hey, when looking at the deleted OU analysis of the Zygarde 10% I asked myself why is it not viable anymore. Sure it doesn't have the bulk of Zygarde, but it's faster and has the same move pool. Now that it isn't outclassed by 50% it could actually have a viable set or two. Opinions?

Hey, when looking at the deleted OU analysis of the Zygarde 10% I asked myself why is it not viable anymore. Sure it doesn't have the bulk of Zygarde, but it's faster and has the same move pool. Now that it isn't outclassed by 50% it could actually have a viable set or two. Opinions?
The problem is the average Attack stat.

50% Zygarde could get away with it because its bulk allowed it to setup. 10% doesn't have that luxury - a lot of things could switch in, take a hit (or even two) and deal a lot of damage.

Does Entei have any viablity? Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed plus Bulldoze to deal with Heatran seems pretty reasonable despite it not being in the VR thread and the Zygarde ban is definitely good for it. Also curious about Lucario and Feraligatr but fearing the answer is gonna be a no lol

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Entei have any viablity? Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed plus Bulldoze to deal with Heatran seems pretty reasonable despite it not being in the VR thread and the Zygarde ban is definitely good for it. Also curious about Lucario and Feraligatr but fearing the answer is gonna be a no lol
No lol

ESpeed Entei requires Adamant which can be a big problem in terms of Speed tiers. Entei also has a really hard time bypassing Toxapex without a lot of Spikes support since Bulldoze isn't STAB and lacks a lot of power. It would just require a lot of team support which questions if it's really worth it for those reasons when Band Entei should be more like a breaker.

Lucario and Feraligatr are just not strong enough and require a lot of support as well.

It doesn't mean you can't use them, but you have to really understand the major drawbacks of the Pokemon and open your team up to more ways to lose to what would otherwise be more sound competitive teams.

Edit: I forgot it learns Stomping Tantrum, but the post below covers that nicely. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that while Bulldoze is indeed pretty weak, Entei also has access to Stomping Tantrum, which is strong enough to always 2HKO specially defensive Pex when Banded.

However, because it requires a Choice Band, it would be pretty easy for the opponent to play around, as an Entei locked into a Ground move is a free switch in and Leech Seed for Celesteela, for example.

Tectonic Rage is also an option, but even that doesn't OHKO Pex, and it leaves Entei at a much lower power level against everything else.

Last edited:
what’s the strongest single turn attack possible in OU? Banded Bulu Wood Hammer?
These were the strongest I could find, note that realistically pretty much none of these are really viable in OU though, except maybe NP Hoopa-U but you wouldn’t want to pair it with Tapu Lele anyway:
  • +6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (Typeless) Mew in Psychic Terrain: 2298-2704 (673.9 - 792.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +6 252+ SpA Chandelure Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 2152-2533 (631 - 742.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +6 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (Typeless) Mew in Grassy Terrain: 2040-2400 (598.2 - 703.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
@ below, ah yeah that’s reasonable. probably banded v-create in sun then, as estronic suggested.

Last edited:
These were the strongest I could find, note that realistically pretty much none of these are really viable in OU though, except maybe NP Hoopa-U but you wouldn’t want to pair it with Tapu Lele anyway:
  • +6 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (Typeless) Mew in Psychic Terrain: 2298-2704 (673.9 - 792.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +6 252+ SpA Chandelure Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 2152-2533 (631 - 742.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +6 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (Typeless) Mew in Grassy Terrain: 2040-2400 (598.2 - 703.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Thank you for the research. I should have specified that “single turn” referred to no setup though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)